PDA

View Full Version : How to Add Attachments

Aeternitas
Thursday, November 29th, 2007, 08:51 PM
Several members have asked how to add attachments, so here is a small guide for everyone.

Whether you start a new thread or reply to an already existing thread, you will find an Attach Files option under Additional Options.

Click Manage Attachments and a popup window will appear. Next, upload the file(s) from your computer by clicking Browse and Upload.

There is no limit of attachments per post but you can only upload 5 at a time.

You can also upload files from a URL (one at a time). Just enter the URL of the file and click Upload.

We currently allow the following extensions for attachments:
ace asc avi bmp bz2 doc gif gp5 gpg gz html jpe jpeg jpg mid midi mov mp3 mp4 mpeg mpg ogg pdf pgp php png pps psd qt ra ram rar rm rtf rv swf sxw tar tif tiff torrent txt wav wma wmv xml zip

The maximum allowed size of the attachments differs between 512.0 KB and 2.00 MB, depending on file type.

The valid file extensions and maximum sizes are also listed under Attach Files.

If you want to remove an attachment, you can do this by clicking the Remove button.

Once you have uploaded your attachments, they will appear as thumbs in your post:

However, you can choose an alternative way of display. For example, if you have attachments pertaining to different topics, you can insert them in rows, separately. To do this, click on the little paper clip http://forums.skadi.net/images/editor/attach.gif in the editor, which will open a menu. From the menu, select the attachment you wish to insert, one at a time or you can insert them all.

Position them under the list you created according to relevance. There will be attach codes inserted, as below:

Once you are done, click Save Changes and your list will look similar to this:

Eiríkr
Thursday, November 29th, 2007, 10:44 PM
Is there any chance to extend the max file size beyond 1.00MB as it's rather small?

Brynhild
Monday, February 4th, 2008, 12:18 AM
I would like for my images to be larger than the thumbnails. Any clues on how that is done? Cheers!

BeornWulfWer
Thursday, March 6th, 2008, 08:23 PM
I have had a look at how you put up Youtube videos, but I must admit that I am still confused.

At the moment I can just put on a link which comes up as the whole link for people to click.

What I would like to know how to do, is get the video to appear on the comment/thread I have made.

Can anyone be so kind as to educate me on doing this? :)

Grimm
Wednesday, October 15th, 2008, 01:50 AM
My attachments usually come up as thumbnails, as it says it should. But most people have the full picture in their posts. How can I do this?

And some of my attachments were being attached as extra files that people had to click on and download the file to see. They said they were jpg just like the others, but they wouldn't attach as thumbnails like the others.

Thanks.

Soten
Wednesday, October 15th, 2008, 01:53 AM
I, too, would like to know the answer to the above questions in the two preious posts.

At some point I seem to have known but now I forget, specifically the Youtube thing.

Ulf
Wednesday, October 15th, 2008, 04:09 AM
I, too, would like to know the answer to the above questions in the two preious posts.

At some point I seem to have known but now I forget, specifically the Youtube thing.

k7oFii85trM

k7oFii85trM=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7oFii85trM

k7oFii85trM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7oFii85trM

Hauke Haien
Wednesday, October 15th, 2008, 04:53 AM
My attachments usually come up as thumbnails, as it says it should. But most people have the full picture in their posts. How can I do this?
Use the http://forums.skadi.net/images/editor/menupop.gif next to the http://forums.skadi.net/images/editor/attach.gif or copy the link location of the attachment and add it with http://forums.skadi.net/images/editor/insertimage.gif

Mööv
Tuesday, May 9th, 2017, 10:35 PM
Is there a possibility to pre upload files and organise them into folders and then use them in various posts? So for example if I want to reuse an attachment previously posted somewhere else I would know where to find it and not have to go through them all to find the one I'm looking for. When they accumulate over time it becomes a mess.

Juthunge
Tuesday, May 9th, 2017, 11:38 PM
If you go to User CP => Miscellaneous => Attachments you’ll see all the files you’ve uploaded so far, sorted by date. Perhaps you already meant they accumulate there, though.
Apart from that, I unfortunately don’t know of any other option to group/sort attachments in the vbulletin version we’re using.
Perhaps someone more familiar with the system knows another way but I kind of doubt it.

Two possible bypasses, I could think of, would be:

Simply using an account at an external picture storage site, like tinypic.
Although that might not be an option for certain contents.

Copying the attachment list to an Excel file.
There you can name and group/sort/filter at will. It should automatically take over the hyperlinks into Excel, too. To circumvent opening every link individually, to be able to copy it, instead extract the link. You could use a VBA macro (http://howtouseexcel.net/how-to-extract-a-url-from-a-hyperlink-on-excel) for that.
The only disadvantage would be having to update it, when you post some new attachment.

Mööv
Tuesday, May 9th, 2017, 11:48 PM
If you go to User CP => Miscellaneous => Attachments you’ll see all the files you’ve uploaded so far, sorted by date. Perhaps you already meant they accumulate there, though.

Yes, they just keep piling up as you upload them. I was thinking in way that you would have an option there to sort the files into folders. That is, it would be problematic to rearrange those already up because you would also need to update information in the posts containing them, but when making new upload it would make things more orderly.

Apart from that, I unfortunately don’t know of any other option to group/sort attachments in the vbulletin version we’re using.

Speaking of which. There was talk of version upgrade recently, when the forum was down. Will it be going up to v4 or 5, or was it just a small revision on the current major version?

Juthunge
Wednesday, May 10th, 2017, 12:09 AM
Yes, they just keep piling up as you upload them. I was thinking in way that you would have an option there to sort the files into folders. That is, it would be problematic to rearrange those already up because you would also need to update information in the posts containing them, but when making new upload it would make things more orderly.
Yes, I understand, at least sort of like the folders option in "Subscribed Threads". That would be quite convenient.

Do you really have that many attachments uploaded, though? In that case, for the time being and especially for the ones you've already uploaded, I suppose my Excel bypass would be the easiest way. PM me, if you need help with that, I'm quite excel-savvy.

Speaking of which. There was talk of version upgrade recently, when the forum was down. Will it be going up to v4 or 5, or was it just a small revision on the current major version?
As far as I know, and that's about as much as you, we'll eventually upgrade to a higher version but there's no date set for it.
It's probably mostly a matter of time and money.

Mööv
Wednesday, May 10th, 2017, 12:22 AM
Do you really have that many attachments uploaded, though?

No, not at the moment. However, I was thinking on starting to add various content sometime in the following months (as soon as I get enough free time) that would have attached files so such a feature would be very helpful.

Bärin
Thursday, May 11th, 2017, 02:05 PM
Yes.

Some Skadi features don't work anymore, and some can't be used if we use proxies (like short messages, always have trouble with those), but as far as I understood from the admins, these hacks are no longer updatable or even supported by their creators, because they're far too old.

So maybe an upgrade wouldn't be a bad idea in the near future?

Uwe Jens Lornsen
Saturday, March 30th, 2019, 11:26 AM
Attachments dont work for me .

Android version 8.x .

A popup shows "Filesize too large" or similar .