PDA

View Full Version : Do You Believe In Absolute Morality?

Northern Paladin
Sunday, November 25th, 2007, 08:11 AM
Do you believe in absolute morality? I personally believe morality is a human creation. And therefore there really is no such thing. What seperates a murder from a justfied killing? It all depends on who you ask. Ask an Iraqi what he thinks about Americans and he might say murders. Ask Bush and he will say we are liberators. We can't be murders because we are killing for democracy.

Elysium
Sunday, November 25th, 2007, 09:23 AM
I created a thread on whether or not good and bad (morality) is subjective or objecetive which is quite similar to this and my views are pretty much the same. I think that there is absolute morality (nature/God) and there is also human morality (from our religions, beliefs, values, etc) and coupling human morality while also following absolute morality you can be considered "moral" and "good".

Janus
Sunday, November 25th, 2007, 12:30 PM
No, as long as we do not believe in a supernatural highest being there will be no absolute morality. The morality of almost all peoples is, however, interestingly similar to eachother and most likely based on some character traits almost all people share. If one neglects the supernatural highest being one has to be consequent like Nietzsche was in his Atheism and not like this lunatic Dawkins babbling something of liberal consensus of morality. If there's no good and evil, everything is allowed. That's somehow why Kant postulated a God. He knew very well that one cannot know whether there is a God or not but he correctly said that such an idea is necessary for morality.