PDA

View Full Version : Intelligent Extraterrestrial Life?

Rosoner
Friday, August 30th, 2002, 07:45 PM
I am wondering what you think about life on other planets, i mean do you belive in it? I know that noone can really know is there any life or not but i am sure that you have your own theory.

Ederico
Friday, August 30th, 2002, 07:53 PM
I believe in Life beyond our Planet, and I believe that there is other Intelligent Life excluding Humanity (well those parts of Humanity which are Intelligent). I also believe Aliens visited our planet. The thing that makes me think the most are Crop Circles.

Hellstar
Friday, August 30th, 2002, 08:10 PM
If one man acknowledge the universe as eternal he must also recognize the ability of the sources in which life springs eternal, to acknowledge the universe as eternal would be the same as acknowledging other life codes in titanic & eternal proportions.

anything else would be considered anthropocentric.

Originally posted by Nazzjonalista
I also believe Aliens visited our planet. The thing that makes me think the most are Crop Circles.
Is that really "out of all wonders" the phenomenon that makes you think most;)

Kaotiksoul6sic6
Friday, August 30th, 2002, 09:53 PM
there definately is other life forms in out universe because we had to have been visited when man was evolving because there is one type that just disappeared where did it go also known as the missing link i dont think it just disappeared i think aliens changed it into something that is among us now and we just think it is one of us

Ederico
Saturday, August 31st, 2002, 05:12 PM
Crop Circles make me think because I saw a recent documentary, and they are quite fascinating. To me they are probably some sort of geometrical communication for us humans to decode and not simply great designs.

What is this Missing Link theory?

Hellstar
Saturday, August 31st, 2002, 10:06 PM
Ok this missing link of yours is really far out, bet i could argue it total down.

What are the substance behind this theory of yours?

Kaotiksoul6sic6
Sunday, September 1st, 2002, 02:31 AM
ok there was a step in evolution that just disappeared im not sure of when it was but there were two types of humanoids around the same period and one just disappeared youll have to give me time to research it because i just remember a lil bit which isnt enough to explain it from a documentary i saw in history so gimme like a day

Bradford
Sunday, September 1st, 2002, 02:35 AM
I do not believe there is life on other planets. The factors
that made life on earth are very unique. Even if life exists on
another planet. It would be to far away to travel here or for
us to travel there. Fun to day dream about but only the
stuff of science fiction.

Stríbog
Sunday, September 1st, 2002, 07:25 PM
I believe in life on other planets, but crop circles are not what convinced me. I believe because of recorded cases of humans being abducted, awakening in a strange place several hours later, and often having inexplicable physical marks, radiation burns, etc. There have also been smaples of unknown metals collected at what appear to be landing sites. Raised levels of radioactivity are also associated with alien landings, as are electromagnetic pulses that interfere with appliances and devices. I also think that many ancient legends point to interaction with UFO's, though I do know that von Däniken and his book were discredited. Crop circles I doubt, because it seems an odd way for them to communicate should they choose to, and also because most have been exposed as hoaxes. I do believe in the Roswell incident and the government coverup, but I know that most of what is said about it is paranoid conspiracy theory crap, or pseudo-scientific garbage, etc. The "secret film" that somehow was found is certainly a fake. Overall, though, I do believe in extraterrestrial contact with earth, and the mathematics of the universe are such that it is virtually certain that life has originated elsewhere.

Rosoner
Sunday, September 1st, 2002, 07:26 PM
i belive that there is some kind of life on other planets. Also i belive that that life is very inferior (Something like amoebas or niggers;) )

Kaotiksoul6sic6
Sunday, September 1st, 2002, 10:59 PM
maybe crop circles is like extra terrestials written language they may say the same thing about our letters if they see it

kaleun
Monday, September 2nd, 2002, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by Bradford
I do not believe there is life on other planets.

I see no reason why there should not be life on other planets. Far away, certainly, but the universe is so vast it is inconceivable that our planet is unique.

I can understand why no visitors come from outer space to visit us. Any intelligent being observing our wars and the antics of our leaders will consider us as dangerous!

Rahul
Wednesday, September 25th, 2002, 08:37 AM
I feel that there is life in the universe, other than on our earth.

Legio_Melita
Wednesday, September 25th, 2002, 10:40 AM
yes I do believe there is life on other planets. The vastness of the universe makes it possible that there are other planets with similar climatic conditions as ours, making it possible for life to flourish. there is also the possibility that there are life forms that need different conditions to live, which can be found on other planets.

Jack
Monday, October 21st, 2002, 12:40 AM
Of course there's aliens out there. Where do you think we came from? You think we evolved from niggers? ;) :gift

Moody
Monday, March 10th, 2003, 05:06 PM
It is a tempting theory this, that the Aryan race was seeded by an advanced alien race who visited Earth thousands of years ago.

Exponents of the theory point to references in ancient scriptures such as Gilgamesh and the Rig Veda which could be interpreted in this way.

But the evidence is not scientifically compelling enough to raise the theory out of the realm of a modern version of Myth.

Indeed, the theory is interesting mainly from the position of Mythography; it shows that the archetypes of Myth, whether in those scriptures already mentioned or in Faery Tales etc., are indelibly encoded into human consciousness.
This all vindicates the ideas of C.G.Jung and J.Campbell.

Rahul
Tuesday, March 11th, 2003, 01:52 PM
Where in the Rig Veda is it mentioned that Aryan race had an alien-related origin?

Just answer this for my curiousity's sake!

Moody
Tuesday, March 11th, 2003, 04:03 PM
You must have heard of this!

"At least 20 passages in the Rig Veda (1028 hymns to the gods) refer exclusively to the flying vehicle of the Asvins".

For details see www.atributetohinduism.com from which the above quote is taken - happy surfing!

GreenHeart
Tuesday, March 11th, 2003, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by Nazzjonalist
I believe in Life beyond our Planet, and I believe that there is other Intelligent Life excluding Humanity (well those parts of Humanity which are Intelligent). I also believe Aliens visited our planet. The thing that makes me think the most are Crop Circles.

I'm certainly not saying there isn't life on another planet or even whether it has been here or not.... that remains to be seen.

But Crop Circles? Thats pretty ridiculous. They are easy to create using a few rudimentary tools within only a few hours.

http://www.webmesh.co.uk/overlord/crop2.html

I think this sums up how I feel:

"Sceptic scientists believe that there are no aliens visiting Earth, they may be right but to believe there is no other life in the Universe is, well, stubborn. They are billions of stars which we can see and billions more we can't. Most of them could have planets round them and somewhere there must be life. There is a very good chance that there is even what we would call human beings out there, not from earth but have evolved in the same way we have."

Ederico
Tuesday, March 11th, 2003, 08:59 PM
Some crop circles are unexplainable, they also seem to have some magnetic power or radioactive thing, I am not sure. I made that post after viewing a documentary on those designs, which are quite cool.

Marduk
Wednesday, April 16th, 2003, 03:21 AM
Originally posted by NAZZ

Crop Circles unfortunately turned out to be a joke. However, as universe is vast and maybe infinite (this is another debate), we can reasonably think that some intelligent life may exist in other planets.

Stríbog
Wednesday, April 16th, 2003, 03:55 AM
Crop Circles unfortunately turned out to be a joke.

The vast majority of them have, yes. However, there remain many that are inexplicable by conventional means, and display radioactive traces and strange electromagnetic fields that some guy with a board and rope could not leave.

Ominous Lord Spoonblade
Wednesday, April 16th, 2003, 09:06 PM
I read a good article on crop circles in the "Skeptical Inquirer". Good mag, by the way...

Von Braun
Thursday, April 17th, 2003, 01:33 AM
Originally posted by Vanessa
I read a good article on crop circles in the "Skeptical Inquirer". Good mag, by the way...

I used to read that during study hall my senior year of high school, in the school library. It seemed to do a good job refuting most paranormal claims.

Dagna
Friday, October 19th, 2007, 06:23 PM
Do you believe in extraterrestrial life? I am undecided.

Extraterrestrial life

Extraterrestrial life is life originating outside of the Earth. It is the subject of astrobiology, and its existence remains theoretical. There is no evidence of extraterrestrial life that has been widely accepted by the scientific community.

Many scientists believe that if extraterrestrial life exists, its emergence occurred independently, in different places in the universe. An alternative hypothesis is panspermia, which suggests that life might emerge in one location and then spread between habitable planets. These two hypotheses are not mutually exclusive. The study and theorization of extraterrestrial life is known as astrobiology, exobiology or xenobiology. Speculative forms of extraterrestrial life range from sapient beings to life at the scale of bacteria.

Suggested locations that might have once developed or continue to host life include Mars, natural satellites of Jupiter and Saturn (e.g. Europa, Enceladus and Titan), and most recently Gliese 581 c, which is the only known extrasolar planet in its star's habitable zone and is predicted to have liquid water.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extraterrestrial_life

How do you think the "aliens" look like? (No jokes about illegals, please ;))

Deary
Friday, October 19th, 2007, 08:21 PM
After having seen three UFOs in my life (which could have not possibly been anything from this earth), the probability of alien existence is greater than I previously conceived.

Allenson
Friday, October 19th, 2007, 08:42 PM
Without a doubt in my mind. Given the sheer vastness of the universe, it would be highly unlikely that we are the only planet with living entities inhabiting it. Don'tcha think? ;)

Janus
Friday, October 19th, 2007, 09:19 PM
They exist for sure and I am already among you.

Space is just too big for just one planet with life but these planets are probably too far away from eachother to have contact with us. Furthermore, we have to see the differences between simple life like bacteria which could exist on Europe for instance and complex lifeforms.

Æmeric
Friday, October 19th, 2007, 09:31 PM
As big as the Universe is, it is likely there are other intelligent lifeforms. But have they ever visited our planet? I'm not sure. During my many years in Arizona, I saw strange aircraft on many occassions, always the cylinder-shapped ufos. But I'm not convinced they were extraterrestrial. Large parts of the airspace over Arizona is controlled by the military, so I think it is likely they were experimental military aircraft. Considering the distance away from me, they must have been quite large & traveled at high speeds. I've also felt sonic booms on occassion.

It was not unusual to see black helicoptors in Arizona, though I was never saw one doing anything that would be considered threatening.

Corin
Friday, October 19th, 2007, 09:54 PM
Last year, out in the countryside, I saw a bright white orb with a tinge of blue at about 1500ft in the sky and half a kilometer away. It remained motionless in the sky for about 5 seconds and then shot off in arc towards the far horizon at absolutely phenomenal speed. It literally travelled to the horizon in half a second. It looked like something out of an XFiles episode. I'd love to see it again.

I like watching the sky on walks at night. Looking at the sky for too long induces very trippy feelings though and it's not good for your mental health unless your involved in astronomy or the like.

Boche
Friday, October 19th, 2007, 10:56 PM
Of course there are other lifeforms in the universe, but concerning "Ufos" And the look of them and abilities:

They are man made and from earth if you have seen any. There's scientific proof of Flight-objects during the 30's and 50's being created in Germany.
And the Americans and Russians have adopted the german technology after world war 2 probably only for flying objects used for Spy Agencies.

People who put flying disks and aliens in one pot is because of the hollywood view and idea of "Ufos" AFTER 1950 in hollywood movies. Before those movies nobody put round flying objects in anything extraterrestrial.

Really amazing how much hollywood has influenced people on the earth yet if you think about this example.

Gruß,
Boche

Huzar
Saturday, October 20th, 2007, 03:02 AM
Of course exist Extraterrestrial life. No need to debate (at least in my scientific vision)

That's very rational. Probabilistic.

in this Galaxy (only in our Galaxy) scientists estimate the presence of 350 billion of stars. Some similar to our sun. Some not.

So the chances there is life in our Galaxy are almost certain. And if we take in account other galaxies too (Andromenda etc.) then the chances are very high. Even for a form of life SIMILAR to ours. Humanoid physical evolution.

Corin
Saturday, October 20th, 2007, 03:02 AM
They are man made and from earth if you have seen any.

Gruß,
Boche

Unexplained atmospheric phenomena is another possiblity for UFOs. I wouldn't totally write off the idea of little green men either.

Has anyone heard of "rods"? People have been capturing flying stick like objects on photographs and video cameras all around the world. There is no proven explanation for them, just another unsolved mystery. Perhaps it is an effect that happens due to the way sensors in the cameras and video cameras pick up light? They are very strange.

The Horned God
Saturday, October 20th, 2007, 04:51 AM
The universe is so huge, the number of observable sun-like stars is so great and number of stars with planets (we can still only detect the Jupiter sized planets around other stars but that is soon set to change) is also so high that I think it is highly unlikely that life does not exist at least somewhere else in the universe. After all if something can happen once, given the same conditions it can probably again..

However, I am talking about simple life, intelligent life, (say as intelligent as the average Althing member ;)) will likely come about only much more rarely and perhaps be shorter lived...

After having seen three UFOs in my life (which could have not possibly been anything from this earth), the probability of alien existence is greater than I previously conceived.

I for one would like to hear more!

SchwarzeSonne
Saturday, October 20th, 2007, 05:09 AM
Has anyone heard of "rods"? People have been capturing flying stick like objects on photographs and video cameras all around the world. There is no proven explanation for them, just another unsolved mystery. Perhaps it is an effect that happens due to the way sensors in the cameras and video cameras pick up light? They are very strange.

Rods are actually in the field of cryptozoology, rather than ufology. Rods are considered animals, and it is proposed that they have a thin membrane across their axis which is used for propulsion through the air...

Normally they are just moths or little bugs that get caught in a funny light on camera.

Anyway...I think that UFOs are really just from terrestrial beings (USOs, arctic bases, you know...the works), rather than from other galaxies.

The Horned God
Saturday, October 20th, 2007, 05:14 AM
Oh, yeah btw even Buzz (Lightyear ;) )Aldrin, the second man on the moon, claims to have seen a UFO while on board Apollo 11, and I'm pretty sure he was too conscientious a guy to be smoking pot while flying a spacecraft...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlkV1ybBnHI

United Faith
Saturday, October 20th, 2007, 05:59 AM
I think it does. However, I don't think we should really care or be concerned about it. Much more pressing issues at the moment. :)

Flash Voyager
Friday, February 8th, 2008, 08:16 PM
Would not surprise me if it would ever be scientifically revealed or major contact would take place. I saw a strange, quiet white object flying at uncanny speeds at the age of 8 once. I also suspect that evidence of their existence is being suppressed because if it would ever be announced people would demand to know more and eventually it turns out that they have secretly been in possession of alien technologies that would end our dependency on oil and even food or cure what was considered incurable and then you have a bunch of irate citizens.

Loddfafner
Friday, February 8th, 2008, 10:24 PM
Could some of the beings who have posted on this very website be extraterrestrial?

Galloglaich
Friday, February 8th, 2008, 11:46 PM
I'm not sure. I have seen "UFO's" on multiple occasions. I'm just not sure that I'm willing to jump to an "extra-terrestrial" explanation. I'm sure there are things that are at the boundaries or beyond the capacities of the human sensory package (I don't have sonar, I can't see in the infrared spectrum etc.). I think it's possible that when a human is confronted with a perceptible stimulus that is still outside the spectrum of his foundational categories of belief, he may struggle to make phenomenological (think Kant) sense of it. Also keeping in mind the possibility that the human sensory package may be influenced by evolution, I think it's possible that the subconscious mind interprets this confusion into something that is recognizeable to the conscious mind. In ages past, this was categorized (again, think Kant) as something "magical", hence we find references to fairies or angels. In the modern age, where science and technology have largely replaced "magic" we explain these things to ourselves as the result of what must be some form of advanced technology. In either case there is still something there, only the interpretation of it takes on varied forms as a result of the differences in our cultural (& individual) subconsciousnesses.

Edit:...or they could just be little grey men from Zeta Reticulum.

Next World
Saturday, February 9th, 2008, 12:08 AM
I believe in UFOs. If there weren't UFOs, we would know what all of the FOs are, and we don't.

I believe in the possibility and probability of extraterrestrial life. If the whole Universe is both "random" and never-ending, I highly doubt that we are the only form of "intelligent" life in the whole damn thing. That's a little too anthropocentric for my tastes.

I'm not sure what they look like. I don't really care. I suppose there are some who look humanoid and others who do not, going back to the idea of "randomness", I'm sure some of them randomly look quite similar to us.

I doubt we're the most advanced civilization in the Universe, so even if they are forever away, they could probably still come visit us. Hell, for all we know, they really could have built a giant box around our part of the Universe in efforts to cloak their own planets. They're somewhere in the dark matter.

Kadu
Saturday, February 9th, 2008, 03:37 AM
Without a doubt in my mind. Given the sheer vastness of the universe, it would be highly unlikely that we are the only planet with living entities inhabiting it. Don'tcha think? ;)

That's a different thing, it would be indeed a waste of space:D
Another thing is believing that they come here to abduct people and impregnate young desirable girls.:D

Mrs. Lyfing
Saturday, February 9th, 2008, 03:54 AM
I'll give it a....Anything is possible

Drakkar
Saturday, February 9th, 2008, 09:18 PM
Hundreds of abductee witness testimonies have described extremely similar extra-terrestrial creatures. 3.5 feet tall, grey and thin in appearance, and with saucer-like black eyes. That's a big maybe right there. There are many other races documented as well, but those are the most common.

Soldier of Wodann
Saturday, February 9th, 2008, 09:23 PM
Hundreds of abductee witness testimonies have described extremely similar extra-terrestrial creatures. 3.5 feet tall, grey and thin in appearance, and with saucer-like black eyes. That's a big maybe right there. There are many other races documented as well, but those are the most common.

3.5 feet? That's one I've never heard. I always assumed them to be taller and thinner than Humans.

Blood_Axis
Saturday, February 9th, 2008, 09:57 PM
I believe it does, but not necessarily in a form that is recognizable by human perception.

Lest we forget that we percieve in 3 dimensions and our 5 (rather limited) senses and that there is a vast world out there that is not within our perceptual reach. That been said, extraterrestrial life should not necessarily be carbon-based life form like the ones we know.

It could exist in the form of energy, particles, or any kind of 'matter' that we are not able to understand and is not explained by our 'biology'.

Hollywood has made a good job in personifying the alien as an alternative human form - clearly inserting the human bias into the subject. It does not have to be like that at all.

p.s. think funghi from yuggoth :D

Brynhild
Saturday, February 9th, 2008, 10:07 PM
Scientists don't know enough about what is or isn't out there. Given that there is already one solar system, who's to say that there aren't more like it? The ancients who navigated by and worshipped the stars believed that there were other beings who hailed from those constellations. That belief had to start from somewhere, and somewhere in these myths and legends, there is always a grain of truth in them. So who knows?

I voted yes, BTW

Dr. Solar Wolff
Sunday, February 10th, 2008, 06:56 AM
Of course with billions and billions of stars out there some must have planets and life must be present of some of them. So, yes, I believe in extraterrestrial life.

But that is not what most of you are talking about. Most of you guys are commenting on the question of whether extraterrestrial life has arrived on earth. UFOs are not proof of ETs. Who knows what our secret government(s) have or how advanced it is or how weird it looks? Just because you see something that you do not understand in the sky does not mean it is extraterrestrial. How can anyone justify that leap? I think UFOs are real, just not their alleged point of origins.

If people have been abducted for so long is it not reasonable that they would have stolen, been given, etc., some trinket or evidence of their experience of a physical nature? There is simply no proof of extraterrestrials having visited the earth.

I

Griffon
Sunday, February 10th, 2008, 08:50 AM

These kind of creatures were unheard of in the world until the mid 20th century, and after they finally came, the majority of them came to the United States... i'm wondering why... :rolleyes: I think Hollywood and the popular culture certainly played a role in creating this image of aliens and popularizing the alien myths to the great masses of people.

Death and the Sun
Sunday, February 10th, 2008, 12:00 PM
Sure I believe that there is life elsewhere in the universe, probably even life that by our own limited perception would be considered to be intelligent. However the current trend in the field seems to be leaning towards the conclusion that there probably are no other technological civilizations, at least not in our galaxy and at this point in time. According to Transhumanist lore (which I myself see no reason to disagree with) technological progress happens exponentially, and once a civilization is past a certain point (and has not destroyed itself yet), it's only a matter of time before it spreads out to other star systems, taking over an entire galaxy is a mere million years or so. And, as far as we can tell at least, that does not seem to have happened in our galaxy.

Btw this thread belongs in a science forum, not in the paranormal section. There aren't any "supernatural" phenomena in the first place; if a phenomenon is real, it is by definition also natural -- whether we understand it or not.

Drakkar
Monday, February 11th, 2008, 06:53 AM
These kind of creatures were unheard of in the world until the mid 20th century, and after they finally came, the majority of them came to the United States... i'm wondering why... :rolleyes: I think Hollywood and the popular culture certainly played a role in creating this image of aliens and popularizing the alien myths to the great masses of people.
That's so not true. I respect your skepticism, but this is a global phenomenon. It is just made popular by the American media more easily than the rest of the world. Also, the communication between "them" and the U.S. government has been more advanced than the rest of the world for obvious reasons.

Nachtengel
Monday, July 28th, 2008, 03:43 PM
I believe in existence of extraterrestrial life but I think will take some time until it's proven. Remember the very long distances in space. Our system isn't the only one. If they send message it might arrive in millions of years. But I'm almost certain we are not aone in the Universe. Who says there can't be another planet with life conditions such as the planet Earth?:)

Loki
Sunday, October 26th, 2008, 11:09 AM
I believe it exists, it's a little far-fetched to think earth is the only planet in the universe that had evolved life. It may not be life as we see in the alien movies, but chances are very good indeed that extraterrestrial life may exist. The universe is just too huge, and the probabilities too large, for it not to be.

Believers in a unique earth-life must draw their ispiration from religion, which says that everything revolves around us humans. It doesn't. We're just a little spec in the vast expanse, utterly irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.

Pino
Sunday, October 26th, 2008, 12:38 PM
well if no aliens have come to our planet then I think it's safe to say if there is any other lifeforms in the universe they are not such a much more advanced society as us that they can hop skip and jump round whatever cosmos they want.

I personally think they have visited us though and are keeping a close eye and theres definately secrets the governments arn't telling us.

Zimobog
Sunday, October 26th, 2008, 09:24 PM
I have had a "black helicopter" experience in '93, but I think it was military and not aliens. It was in the hills of Cheswick, PA in my buddy's driveway. We were hanging out looking down at the river and his part of Pittsburg. The area we were in was nice and dark despite being very near the city and we saw a blacked-out military helio fly over us suddenly. It made no noise but we were alerted by the blast of wind as it passed over us (no whoop whoop sounds). There was just enough light from the houselights to see it above us ...so close I could of hit it with a rock. It was out of sight so quickly I have to think it was traveling much faster than a normal helicopter, especially when not even the cockpit lights could be seen. I could swear I made out rotors and tail as well when it dropped below the well-light building tops of Pittsburg. Anyway, it was hauling ass and staying real low. It made no more noise than a paper airplane.

Octothorpe
Thursday, January 15th, 2009, 02:30 AM
"Extraterrestrial life" does not necessarily imply little green men in UFOs. It means life, nothing more. Recent calculations based on observations indicate there may be as many as ten trillion planets in this galaxy alone. And the life bearing ones are inhabited . . . by alien pond scum. Yep, if you look at the history of life on Earth, the vast majority of the history of life on this planet is the history of unicellular life. Multicellular life is less then a billion years old! The jump from unicellular to multicellular is not a given, and may indeed be rare. Someday, our descendants will step out of their planetary landers, plant their flags, and then scrape the natives of the soles of their boots!

Of course, the above does not say that intelligent life does NOT exist. However, it is probably vanishingly rare.

Siebenbürgerin
Friday, May 29th, 2009, 02:39 PM
Hmm, in our Solar System it's clear no other planet than Earth is currently habitable.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/94/Habitable_zone-en.svg/491px-Habitable_zone-en.svg.png

But maybe in the past there was some life on Mars, because there are traces of what was once water. And in the future Earth won't be habitable because the Sun's temperatures will become higher, maybe then Mars will be colonised. But we still don't know much outside the Solar System. Maybe there is another planet with life conditions there. That's what scientists are searching for currently, but it isn't easy because it's very far away. They try to locate the planets by locating stars, and so far they have found ones with very rough conditions.

Archeopteryx
Wednesday, January 20th, 2010, 10:46 AM
Anyone thinking that there is no life on other planets must need to go and bury their head in the sand. It's akin to saying that the earth is flat!

We are by no means special in any way so just get over that egocentric way of thinking and open your mind (a little). Even if there is no life in the universe at this point in time, there would have been a billion previous civilizations out in the universe before we ever existed or the earth was made, just think about it. There are probably other civilizations in the universe at this instant who are contemplating the same question.

Deifr
Wednesday, January 20th, 2010, 11:59 AM
If there is its certainly not near us.

Archeopteryx
Wednesday, January 20th, 2010, 01:44 PM
If there is its certainly not near us.

Have you any idea of the shear scale of the universe? I believe the number of estimated stars in the universe approximates the number of grains of sand in all of the beaches in the entire world. It therefore comes as no surprise to me that there are no planets supporting life near earth.

Ediruc
Thursday, January 21st, 2010, 03:09 AM
There is intelligent life out in the Universe, but what worries me the most is how great this life is and whether our Aryan race can compete with this intelligent life in the future.

But, I think whatever we set our minds to and against, we can overcome just about anything.

Krabat
Saturday, June 5th, 2010, 09:34 AM
Concidering how big space is and how many billions of of solarsitems exist in the visible universe shorely there must be a evolution of live where ever the conditions are right. and some of tese planets will likely have comlex live. I think the article i linked to explains it perfectly of how evolution create live that is unrelated to us. Alian life probably exists but not the way it is seen in the movies where the aliean are alwais based on human apearance

http://www.das-kaiserreich.net/Subgroups/Bibliothek/Aliens%20probably%20exist.%20But%20not%2 0the%20way%20you%20think..html

Deifr
Saturday, June 5th, 2010, 09:49 AM
Sure, it may be possible there is intelligent life. I am sure there is single cell organisms or something simmilar out there atleast. But I certainly don't believe theres aliens whizzing about Earth in UFOs.:D

Gardisten
Sunday, June 6th, 2010, 07:51 AM
Ah, but you can't prove there isn't. Despite all of the trickery, hoaxing etc. that surrounds UFOs visiting Earth, there are a few score cases that really makes one wonder. Bentwaters, for instance.

Gary in TX
Sunday, June 6th, 2010, 08:28 PM
Personally I kind of doubt it.

Even if life on other planets did exist in all likelyhood they would be too far away for mankind to interact with anyway, so from our point of view they may as well not exist due to the distances involved.

I've read a few books on it (like Chariots of the Gods written by Erich von Däniken (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chariots_of_the_Gods%3F)), but while they provided an interesting idea and a few hours entertainment they didn't provide much solid evidence of their existence.

It kind of just boils down to faith and whether you WANT TO believe in them or not. I've always tried to be about as rational and scientific as you can get when it comes to such things and so I doubt that there's life on other planets other than a microbe or three.

I kind of put 'Extra-Terrestrial Life' into the same category as the Tooth Fairy, the Easter Bunny and Santa Claus, I hear a whole lot about them but I've never seen any evidence that they exist except when people dress up in costumes to have some fun with the idea.

The only 'Aliens' I've ever seen around here are the illegal kind.

EQ Fighter
Monday, June 7th, 2010, 01:39 AM
The UFO or flying saucer is a concept developed in the 1950's for Anti Gravity flying machines.

They have been adopted by Hollywood as spacecraft for the movies.

There may one day be an Anti-gravity craft but it will be built by humans.

Way of Deception
Friday, June 11th, 2010, 02:23 PM
Ah, but you can't prove there isn't. Despite all of the trickery, hoaxing etc. that surrounds UFOs visiting Earth, there are a few score cases that really makes one wonder. Bentwaters, for instance.

Ah yes, Rendlesham Forest.

I don’t recall there being a satisfactory explanation for ‘The Phoenix Lights’ either.

Ellaelie
Wednesday, June 16th, 2010, 05:12 AM
I don't believe that extraterrestrials exist.

Perhaps that's why I hate that the government
spends millions to prepare for them and/or search
for them.

frippardthree
Wednesday, June 16th, 2010, 06:47 AM
I believe that life exist on other planets. In an infinite universe, there has to be something out there. I think that it would be very arrogant to suggest that the Earth is the only planet capable of sustaining life, in the vastness of space and the billions of galaxies out there. There is some evidence to suggest that planets in our own solar system may have supported very primitive micro-organisms.

Some Interesting Article, Related To This Topic:

http://discovermagazine.com/2007/jul/aliens-among-us

http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/topics/Extraterrestrial_life

http://www.clearleadinc.com/site/extraterrestrial-life.html

http://www.biocab.org/Silicon_based_Life.html

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn9943-top-10-controversial-pieces-of-evidence-for-extraterrestrial-life.html

http://www.scientificphilosophy.com/Downloads/IUT.pdf

http://map.gsfc.nasa.gov/universe/uni_shape.html

http://www.seti.org/Page.aspx?pid=1366

velvet
Wednesday, June 16th, 2010, 02:12 PM
Sure, it may be possible there is intelligent life. I am sure there is single cell organisms or something simmilar out there atleast. But I certainly don't believe theres aliens whizzing about Earth in UFOs.:D

This are two different things that shouldnt be mixed together.

There is absolutely NO reason to believe that we are the only planet with life, as life didnt originate on Earth in the first place but was an "import product" from exploding other planets, meteorits, comets and what there all flies through the multiverse.

And since many of the billions and billions of solar systems "out there" went through similar processes like our own, there are for sure also some where the environment allows for long-time evolution processes with the result of "intelligent" life.

Now, what means "intelligent"? Bees are intellligent, they have a language and a way to communicate and organise their swarm, ants are intelligent, they even developed a warrior-caste, a workers-caste, a breeding caste and so on. In terms of organisation capabilities they might even outclass humans, who on the other hand have developed skills to change their environment fundamentally (and many of these changes honestly dont look that intelligent, as they arent just changing, but destroying the environment). All animals who live in groups have a language to communicate among each other, meerkats even organise "kindergardens", for that the parents can have an afternoon for themselves. There are many many more examples of intelligence.

The form of "aliens", so they might as well exist and be, at least theoretically, able to travel the universe (something that humans are lightyears away from still, as long as we try to get off the earth with combustion engines), is in all likelyhood indeed very similar to humans, two legs to walk on, two hands with fine-motoric abilities, free to use and with that to build things, from tools to houses to transportation system to machines to whatever. This form is a fundamental necessity. It is the precondition to develop higher, and artificial skills beyond mere survival.

But indeed it is highly unlikely that we find them, or they us, as the known solar systems that would offer similar stable environments are so far away that it would take several hundred years to get there, even with light speed.

Sawyer
Sunday, August 19th, 2012, 12:41 AM
I wonder what the other people on Skadi think of this. I figure we'd have to be incredibly lucky to be the only planet, in a tiny solar system, in a corner of a galaxy out of billions, to be the only place where life thrives.

I find this quote interesting too:
'Hydrogen is a light, odorless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people. ' - Edward Robert Harrison

Primus
Sunday, August 19th, 2012, 12:56 AM
I'm uncertain on how to answer this question. Yes and no is probably the best answer that I can give. I run the BOINC software from SETI on my desktop, which helps the group sort through signals, so I'm not a non-believer in the idea of non-human life "somewhere out there." I've also read some credible publications on the matter, usually by SETI-affiliated scholars, so it's an avid interest of mind. But, thus far, I've seen little to convince me that it's true.

SaxonCeorl
Sunday, August 19th, 2012, 01:39 AM
I think the question is whether the development of life here on Earth was just a fluke or if life will automatically be created given the right conditions. If it's the latter, than surely there must be planets out there that have similar enough conditions to Earth, even if only a handful.

I wonder whether the type of progression seen here on Earth (single-cell -> multi-cell -> water animals -> land animals, four legs, two eyes, plants, etc.) would automatically happen elsewhere given the same conditions.

The Horned God
Sunday, August 19th, 2012, 02:39 AM
I think the question is whether the development of life here on Earth was just a fluke or if life will automatically be created given the right conditions. If it's the latter, than surely there must be planets out there that have similar enough conditions to Earth, even if only a handful.

Assuming that the earth is not unique in the universe then the conditions that existed on the early earth must exist elsewhere in the universe. Then it is a question of how difficult it is for life to emerge given the right conditions. Well on earth we know from the fossil record that the very oldest rocks we have have evidence of microbes. Therefore if life originated on earth it didn't take very long in geologic terms for it to do so (perhaps a couple of hundred million years).

However, multi-celled life may be a different matter. It took single-celled life only about a hundred million years to appear after the earth cooled, but it wasn't for another 3 billion years until anything that we would recognise as "creatures" emerged. It may be that life only has another billion or so years left on the earth before to sun becomes too hot to support life here. In that case during lifes 5 billion year span on the earth, multi-cellular life will only have had a 1.5 billion year window in which to exist and give rise to intelligence. Given that it took multi-celled life 3 billion years to come about in the first place 5 billion years might not be very much time for the emergence of intelligence on a terrestrial planet.

I wonder whether the type of progression seen here on Earth (single-cell -> multi-cell -> water animals -> land animals, four legs, two eyes, plants, etc.) would automatically happen elsewhere given the same conditions.

It is a question of probabilities. Given that it could, it is only a question of whether it would. Given enough chances on enough planets throughout the universe I think it is likely that life eventually would develop.

RoyBatty
Sunday, August 19th, 2012, 02:40 AM
If something "out there" lives and we happen to find it.... kill it quick. o/

(Assuming it isn't developed enough to kill us first)

ablutive
Sunday, August 19th, 2012, 02:52 AM
The New Scientist ran an article which suggested that due to the energetic cost of increasing cell size and complexity to a degree that enables functional multicellular life (I have forgotten how they got from size to the possibility of multicellular but they explained it) it is impossible without the symbiotic relationship of cell to mitochondria and also that unlike life, which looks energetically to be a likely process, the acquisition of mitochondria may be a complete fluke and thus while single cellular life is likely to be abundant in the universe, complex life may well be unique.

I don't know if I believe that or not, but it makes me wonder.

Neophyte
Monday, August 20th, 2012, 12:37 AM

Life is, at its most basic, just a self-replicating chemical system, and once such a system has begun to replicate I think that it will go on from there. Information cannot be transmitted perfectly every time, and that will by necessity bring evolution in play. If that then will land in intelligent life or anything that we would recognize is another question.

Probably. Life would most certainly start in a liquid phase, all the good stuff in solution, and first develop into single-cell organisms, and only much later begin to colonize land.

Thusnelda
Monday, August 20th, 2012, 02:01 AM
If something "out there" lives and we happen to find it.... kill it quick. o/
Well, maybe it´s already too late. Here are some uncensored photos taken by Curiosity:

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/08/07/article-0-146D5F73000005DC-77_634x631.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/08/07/article-0-146D6741000005DC-76_634x568.jpg

;)

Nachtengel
Sunday, October 30th, 2016, 08:14 PM
Are Aliens Calling to Us? Two Scientists Think So

Two Canadian scientists report seeing messages from space and have deduced that these signals are likely coming from alien life forms.

The two scientists from the University of Laval in Quebec, Canada, E.F. Borra and E. Trottier, report:

“We find that the detected signals have exactly the shape of an [extraterrestrial intelligence] signal predicted in the previous publication and are therefore in agreement with this hypothesis. The fact that they are only found in a very small fraction of stars within a narrow spectral range centered near the spectral type of the sun is also in agreement with the ETI hypothesis.”

So what is makes these two scientists believe aliens are calling to us humans?

According to the pair, they have seen what they describe as “strange modulations” from stars. These “strange” and “very specific” modulations come from 234 out of 2.5 million stars, which the pair believe are aliens attempting to alert humans of their existence.

The pair’s research has been published under the title “Discovery of peculiar periodic spectral modulations in a small fraction of solar type stars” in the academic journal Publications of the Astronomical Society of the Pacific.

Although these claims are incredibly exciting, the pair and their team do acknowledge that there is still a lot of work to be done before it can be confirmed or denied that these signals really are the work of extra-terrestrials.

For example, the team will need to go back and look at these modulations on a variety of equipment before deciding that these signals are not just flukes of the original equipment they used. If that is the case, the whole hypothesis may be, indeed, discarded.

The team said in a statement about the findings and whether or not they were without a shadow of doubt coming from alien life forms:

“It is too early to unequivocally attribute these purported signals to the activities of extraterrestrial civilizations. Internationally agreed-upon protocols for searches for evidence of advanced life beyond Earth (SETI) require candidates to be confirmed by independent groups using their own telescopes, and for all natural explanations to be exhausted before invoking extraterrestrial agents as an explanation.

“Careful work must be undertaken to determine false positive rates, to rule out natural and instrumental explanations, and most importantly, to confirm detections using two or more independent telescopes.”
https://redice.tv/news/are-aliens-calling-to-us-two-scientists-think-so

Wulfaz
Thursday, November 10th, 2016, 04:17 PM
I think it would be illogical if God has created only to this planet life. God is everywhere in the Universe, hence God surely has created in other places too life. That is another thing that this creatures have what kind of level of technology. It seems that the distances are too large to any technological developed creatures that they can arrive here or simply we are the most developed creatures in the Universe.

However that is possible that one day we will have a great surprise in the sky. :D

http://images.cryhavok.org/d/2211-2/Star+Destroyer+In+Atmosphere.jpg