PDA

View Full Version : Earliest British Settlement in SA to Be Tenamed

Schlageter
Thursday, October 4th, 2007, 11:29 PM
Grahamstown in the Eastern Cape Province of South Africa will be renamed, according to local press reports. Founded in 1812 as a military outpost by Lieutenant-Colonel John Graham, the settlement grew during the 1820s as many 1820 Settlers from Britain established themselves there. The city is host town to Rhodes University (est. 1904), "the Oxford and Cambridge of South Africa", and the National Arts Festival, Africa´s largest and the world´s second-largest Arts festival.

Mayor: Cost no obstacle to Grahamstown name change

Grahamstown, South Africa

04 October 2007 06:21

Whether it costs the Makana municipality two cents or R100-million to change the name of Grahamstown and the names of other places and landmarks, the names will change, said Grahamstown mayor Phumelelo Kate on Thursday.

"You cannot equate the transformation of our country to costs. Change must happen and nothing is going to stop it," Kate was reported as saying in Grocott's Mail.

Grahamstown councillor Theo Fulani said it was "disturbing" that people were using the issue of costs as a threat to transformation.

He said no amount of money could be put on the lives of the many freedom fighters that had been lost during the struggle against apartheid.

"If it takes money to transform our country, let it be. We can't stop, we won't stop," said Fulani.

He and Kate were reiterating the municipality's position on the name-change issue at a media breakfast organised by the municipality on Thursday.

The Eastern Cape Geographical Names Committee had identified 58 landmarks and place names in the province to be changed. Grahamstown and either Settlers Hospital or the 1820 Settlers Monument are among the targeted sites. They are among many in South Africa that have a "bad history" and a "colonial perspective".

The Makana council has also asserted its stand on the issue by agreeing "in principle" to change Grahamstown to iRhini.

"Grahamstown must go. It's a name we can't be proud of, considering history and given the baggage that it carries," said Kate. He said a process to eliminate the name from the books of this country was unfolding.

Meanwhile, a mayoral committee has been set up to take up public participation. The mayor stressed that only names that "make us have nightmares" will be changed. "The intention is not to get rid or kill the history and heritage of the Settlers."

However, he said, a balance was needed.

While some residents have objected to the town being renamed iRhini, the mayor said that is what the town would be renamed to unless the community came up with a different name.

The mayor said he did not believe the town was divided along racial lines on the name-change issue.

Kate said people of Grahamstown agreed that the name Grahamstown should go, it was just the new name that the locals had differences about. -- Sapa

Source (http://www.mg.co.za/articlePage.aspx?articleid=321109&area=/breaking_news/breaking_news__national/#)

SineNomine
Friday, October 5th, 2007, 01:17 AM
Yes, I am sure certain people in Grahamstone (i.e. self-loathing whites and the blacks) want the name changed. What a travesty.

stormlord
Friday, October 5th, 2007, 09:43 PM
I hate those people... My relatives that remain in SA now live in Kwazulu/Natal instead of Natal province, as if the Africans had done anything of value before white people got there to merit an inclusion in the name of the place

Spectrum
Saturday, October 6th, 2007, 05:17 PM
Yes, I am sure certain people in Grahamstone (i.e. self-loathing whites and the blacks) want the name changed. What a travesty.

self-loathing .. did you talk to them before name calling?

SineNomine
Saturday, October 6th, 2007, 05:26 PM
I'm sorry, do I need to?

Richard
Saturday, October 6th, 2007, 09:26 PM
These kaffirs, do they realize how they are destroying the roots of what civilization they have left? I do not know their minds, perhaps they just do not care. It greatly saddens me that Germanics around the world are letting this happen.

SwordOfTheVistula
Sunday, October 7th, 2007, 07:30 AM
self-loathing .. did you talk to them before name calling?

What else would you call a populace which votes to surrender power to another people? Israel, which is in a similar demographic situation, would never do such a thing. Yitzak Rabin, their version of F W De Klerk, ended up in a coffin in short order.

Hrodwulf
Monday, October 8th, 2007, 08:32 AM
This is just the beginning.

Watch this same mindset start to erase European heritage around the world, since it's become a strong unspoken belief among American culture, which infects every corner of the planet.

Yes, it is an unspoken belief in American culture, now, to consider every aspect of "White People" (which includes Europe, no need to explain) as oppressive, hateful and the cause of every single wrong on the planet, while simultaneously ignoring how we built modern civilization from barbarism to what we have today.

And, with that belief comes a desire to erase everything related to it from this planet.

SwordOfTheVistula
Monday, October 8th, 2007, 08:53 AM
It's not just the US, it's everywhere now.

Hrodwulf
Monday, October 8th, 2007, 10:25 AM
It's not just the US, it's everywhere now.

Of course, hence the reason I said:

American culture, which infects every corner of the planet.

It did start here, unfortunately, though. :mad:

Rhydderch
Monday, October 8th, 2007, 12:20 PM
It did start here, unfortunately, though.I don't think that's correct at all. It's due to a philosophy which has permeated the Western World in general, all around the same time.

The Lawspeaker
Monday, October 8th, 2007, 07:08 PM
An absolute travesty: these kaffirs (sorry for being kind of angry here.. as a non- South African) are nicking things that aren't theirs: the British settlers have build the place and have named it Grahamstown so Grahamstown it will be.

This is as sickening as renaming towns and villages that were nicked from the Finns, Rumanians, Germans and such in the aftermath of World War II and giving them Polish, Czech or Russian names. For instance I don't know a city called Vyborg, I do know a city in Karelia that is called Viipuuri, what is Kaliningrad? I know Koningsberg.
There are two words for this: theft and victors' justice (I am very much anti-apartheid.. but these people that are now stealing away almost 3 centuries of hard work are basicly asking for it.....)

Hrodwulf
Thursday, October 11th, 2007, 05:31 AM
An absolute travesty: these kaffirs (sorry for being kind of angry here.. as a non- South African) are nicking things that aren't theirs: the British settlers have build the place and have named it Grahamstown so Grahamstown it will be.

This is as sickening as renaming towns and villages that were nicked from the Finns, Rumanians, Germans and such in the aftermath of World War II and giving them Polish, Czech or Russian names. For instance I don't know a city called Vyborg, I do know a city in Karelia that is called Viipuuri, what is Kaliningrad? I know Koningsberg.
There are two words for this: theft and victors' justice (I am very much anti-apartheid.. but these people that are now stealing away almost 3 centuries of hard work are basicly asking for it.....)

Don't even get me started with that.

The ancestral city of my family at the edge of the Czech Republic (which was once entirely German, 100%) was renamed to a Czech name, the same (Schönwerth -> Krásná u Kraslic & Graslitz -> Kraslice).

When the hell will they make the Benes Decrees be considered Genocide? :mad:

**Rant off**