PDA

View Full Version : New Zealand wants Maoris to come home

Ĉmeric
Monday, October 1st, 2007, 08:50 PM
New Zealand is urging an army of Maori expatriates in Australia to return home.

The government in Wellington has launched a new push to try & tempt them back.

One in seven Maoris now lives in Australia. Many cross the Tasmin Sea for better job prospects and to escape social problems and racism.

The government in Wellington has said there has never been a better time for Maori expatriates to return home.

Fifteen percent of the country's indigenous people have migrated to Australia and the authorities want some of them back.

The Maori Affairs ministry has said many would find their homeland a very different place to the one they left behind.

Unemployment has fallen and officials have insisted there are now greater opportunities in Maori education & business.

They also point to a renaissance of traditional culture.

A study has shown there are as many as 125,000 Maori in Australia.

Like many New Zealanders, they make the journey across the Tasmin Sea, tempted by higher wages and a warmer climate.

Most still consider New Zealand to be home and do not take up Australian citizenship.

An official campaign to encourage them to return is under way. Convincing them might not be easy.

Some Maori migrants moved away to escape drugs, gangs, domestic violence and racism from the White community. There are also tensions within their own communities.

Expatriates are often labeled "plastic Maori" who have abandoned the cause in the selfish pursuit of money overseas.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7021444.stm

I wonder if there is a movement to get Euro-New Zealanders to also return home. Or maybe the government in Wellington doesn't want them.

United Faith
Tuesday, October 2nd, 2007, 01:57 AM
It'd be good for Australia if they emigrated back to NZ.

OneEnglishNorman
Tuesday, October 2nd, 2007, 02:03 AM
Well, New Zealand is their homeland I guess.....

If they wish to return, good luck to them.

Rhydderch
Tuesday, October 2nd, 2007, 02:42 AM
There are hosts of white New Zealanders in Australia too. They have an extreme leftist government over there (with all that entails, multiculturalism, mass immigration, political correctness etc.), which seems to be ruining the country, and a female Prime Minister with a very deep voice :D (Helen Clark, or "Hillen Clork" as they say). No wonder they want to come here.

Maybe their government should wake up to the fact that people don't like that sort of ideology (I assume the opposition party must be totally hopeless, like those in the Australian states).

Beornulf
Tuesday, October 2nd, 2007, 03:31 AM
Right now, politics wise we don't have much choice, we have a borderline Marxist or a clueless Hebrew. The rest of the parties are even more leftist and dangerous to NZ.

I can understand why a lot of Maori and Europeans migrate there, NZ isn't the same as it used to be. Coming back isn't too promising either as there are loads of gangs and hostile foreigners, and the chance of not being able to find work.

I guess most people just see Australia as having more opportunities for people and their families. When they feel they're doing the best they can it's not likely they'll be going anywhere, most Euro and Maori already feel disconnected from this country, via liberal brainwashing anyway.

New Zealand no more, welcome to the UNs Southern dumping ground.

Ĉmeric
Tuesday, October 2nd, 2007, 07:56 PM
In 1966 there were approximately 240,000 Maori to about 2,245,000 European-New Zealanders (mostly of British descent). The Euro-Kiwis made up just over 90% of the population. In 2006 there were 565,000 Maoris,(an increase of 135% over 40-years) making up 14.6 % of the population. There are about 2.9 million New Zealanders of European descent (not counting those of Maori/European mix) an increase of around 18% over 40 years. Euro-New Zealanders currently make up approximately 70% of the population. Around 16% of the population is of Asian & Pacific Islander origins (other then Maori), which was virtually non-existant in 1966. The European share of the population has gone done 20 points in 40-years, nearly as bad as what has happen in the US.

From a demographic stance, the Maoris have done much better then the Euro-New Zealanders since 1966 - approximately the time when the political elites of the United States, Canada, Australia & New Zealand decided to open their borders to non-Europid, Third-World migrants. I think the obvious reason for encouraging Maoris to return to New Zealand is to continue the trend of decreasing the European share of the New Zealand population. If there were any sense of fairness, the NZ government would be encouraging European-New Zealanders to return.

PS: My current estimates of the European-New Zealand population is based on th percentages of Asian, Maori & Pacific Islanders subtracted from 100%. The official statistics from Statitstics New Zealand can be hard to decipher, since mixraced individuals can claim European & other non-Europid ancestry & because there is a catagory called simply "New Zealander." If someone resident in New Zealand has more accurate data on the demographic situation in New Zealand, please correct me.

Beornulf
Wednesday, October 3rd, 2007, 04:30 AM
New Zealander isn't an option, the Asian demographics are high and growing, but British immigration is still relatively high, even though 3/4 will be denied while having many skills to contribute.

This is the part that gets to me, we won't let skilled workers in from Britain (though we are still part of the Commonwealth) yet we pander to poor unskilled Africans, some with post-war trauma who aren't even screened for HIV because it's now a "civil rights" issue.

Our government is pathetic.

Matamoros
Wednesday, October 3rd, 2007, 09:24 AM
Actually, in the 2006 cenus, New Zealander was a catagory for the first time.

Currently the ethnic makeup is roughly as follows: 70% European, 14% Maori, 8% Pacific Islander, 8% Asian. And of course there are a whole bunch of "others" from the middle east, africa, and latin america too. It's hard to tell the exact makeup as there is the new "NZer" catagory, and there is an increasing number of offspring from race-mixing unions.

Maori have increased their numbers so much because they're much more likely to have children at a younger age, and have much larger families (which are typically supported by a generous welfare payment).

In 2006 Auckland was 53% European (and dropping), so by the next time a census occurs (in 2011) we will no longer be a majority in this city (if we're not already). Thankfully though my suburb is still over 90% European and we've had quite a few immigrants from Britain and South Africa over the past couple of years.

If Maori come back from Australia, then it'll be good for Australians, but bad for us here. While not wishing for you to suffer, I say you can keep them! :p

OneEnglishNorman
Wednesday, October 3rd, 2007, 12:58 PM
Hmm. I think Americans, New Zealanders, others in colonies face a problem not encountered by Europeans resident in Europe; how to live alongside peoples who already existed on the territory.

Welfare payments will tend to go dis-proportionately towards the aboriginal people for various reasons. Combine that with the fact that "they" were "there already" and I think a negative entitlement mentality is created within the aboriginal group.

Rhydderch
Wednesday, October 3rd, 2007, 03:38 PM
there is a catagory called simply "New Zealander."Probably the great majority of them are of British/Irish descent.

There was such a category in the Australian census too, and agenda-driven people can play with the figures, finding ways of making the Anglo-Celtic proportion of the population seem lower than it really is.

I've read analyses of the census which claim Anglo-Celts make up about 70 percent of Australia's population. But looking at the actual figures, I think it's probably closer to 80-85%.

37% claimed "Australian" ancestry, but here that generally means "non-ethnic" and therefore British/Irish.

Ĉmeric
Wednesday, October 3rd, 2007, 05:03 PM
Hmm. I think Americans, New Zealanders, others in colonies face a problem not encountered by Europeans resident in Europe; how to live alongside peoples who already existed on the territory.

Welfare payments will tend to go dis-proportionately towards the aboriginal people for various reasons. Combine that with the fact that "they" were "there already" and I think a negative entitlement mentality is created within the aboriginal group.

Actually, those entitlement programs have had the effect in the US, Canada & New Zealand (& perhaps Australia) of increasing the population of the aboriginal peoples to levels higher then when those countries were first settled by the British. In addition to immigration, of Pacific Islanders into New Zealand &, Amerindians & Mestizos into the US from points south.

But the actual number of Amerindians in the US (registered members of tribes, not everyone with a remote Indian ancestor, real or imagined) is approximately 3 million. Living along side them is generally not a problem, unless you actually live next to a reservation - and even then you can generally ignore them. And the TFR for US Amerindians is slightly lower then that for non-Hispanic Whites. Most of the descendents of the "aboriginal peoples of the New World" living in the US are "Hispanics", who's ancestors were living in what is now Latin America in 1492. So the US problem is really about living along side immigrants who have arrived in the last 40-years.

Probably the great majority of them are of British/Irish descent.

There was such a category in the Australian census too, and agenda-driven people can play with the figures, finding ways of making the Anglo-Celtic proportion of the population seem lower than it really is.

I've read analyses of the census which claim Anglo-Celts make up about 70 percent of Australia's population. But looking at the actual figures, I think it's probably closer to 80-85%.

37% claimed "Australian" ancestry, but here that generally means "non-ethnic" and therefore British/Irish.

It sounds as if New Zealander & Australian have the same meaning as "American" in the US census.

Vintersverd
Thursday, October 4th, 2007, 06:10 AM
I honestly can't stand the term "Kiwi" and I often see people online who use that way to adress me. New Zealander isn't so bad in the sense that I live here but I do not consider New Zealand to be my home land and Britian still remains my Motherland and always will. Also I think Maori's deserve to have their land so long as they only have their creations... I don't think they'll be too happy going back to their tribal society but that's where they'd be. I do not think I'd want to go back to England however as it seems way too over crowded and dirty (no offense to the other English folks) but I wouldn't mind going to somewhere like Sweden or Norway... perhaps return to Ireland. New Zealand means little to me.

Matamoros
Friday, October 5th, 2007, 08:33 AM
I honestly can't stand the term "Kiwi" and I often see people online who use that way to adress me. New Zealander isn't so bad in the sense that I live here but I do not consider New Zealand to be my home land and Britian still remains my Motherland and always will.

Well said. The British Isles are, and always will be, the homeland of my family and our descendants. I'm not a "kiwi" - I'm an Englishman marooned on a distant shore. :o

Skarpherdin
Monday, October 29th, 2007, 09:21 AM
this place is a rock which the white people can be proud without constant attack from the large polynesian groups here the immigrant here in the hundreds the yellow tide will soon engulf the small island the Maori should be the lest of our worry most of them are half white anyways many have our pale skin and blue eyes

the other polynesians on the other hand are here in the thousands