PDA

View Full Version : Tea Anyone?

Bridie
Friday, September 14th, 2007, 06:18 AM
A question for the tea drinkers amongst us... :D ... What are you favourite types of tea?

Here's a pretty comprehensive list on this site : http://www.tea.co.uk/index.php?pgId=7 (you'll find the types of tea listed under their country of origin to the left of the main text).

I've recently just discovered White Tea, which is the least processed, and derived from the tips of the plant (which are covered in fine white "hairs", hence the name "white tea")... it is the smoothest, naturally sweetest tea I've ever tasted... just divine! :)

But other than that, I love Dilmah Jasmine tea (Green tea with Jasmine petals added) and organic Ginger tea with Lemongrass. Out of the Black teas, Twinings Irish Breakfast is my favourite. :)

I never take sugar with tea either... just a dash of milk in Black tea... but all other teas I take black. :)

Janus
Friday, September 14th, 2007, 07:24 AM
Several kinds of ice tea. At best those from the reformhaus :D

SwordOfTheVistula
Friday, September 14th, 2007, 08:30 AM
I don't really like most types of tea, I did pick up a taste for Green Tea while I was in Japan though

Blood_Axis
Friday, September 14th, 2007, 10:29 AM
I very much like fruit-flavored tea (especially forest fruit) :)

http://www.lipton.no/Lipton-NO/no-2006/images2/fruit_pyramid_forest.jpg

This one I'd like to try!

http://zapatopi.net/blog/lipton_pyramid_tea.jpg

I've recently just discovered White Tea

White Tea Power!! :p

http://plaza.fi/s/f/editor/images/Lipton%20White%20Tea.jpg

a.squiggles
Friday, September 14th, 2007, 01:55 PM
i drink earl grey (no sugar, no milk) 95% of the time because i really like the smell of bergamot.
some times i drink japanese green tea (i like the nutty flavour, but it doesn't smell very good imo) or jasmine green tea.

however green tea ice cream is by far my favourite tea product :D

Esther_Helena
Friday, September 14th, 2007, 01:56 PM
I'm from the American south, I drink sweet iced tea. Sometimes with lemon! :D
I use nestea when I make it. I prefer Bojangles' tea if I can get it.

Freydis
Friday, September 14th, 2007, 02:02 PM
Same as a. squiggles on the earl grey. Actually on all tea. I drink it black.

My list of favourites:
Camomille
Earl Grey
Sainsbury's Red Label
The Co op tea (can't remember exactly what it's called, my granma gets it)
English Breakfast
Green Tea
Darjeeling
... there's way more..

ladybright
Friday, September 14th, 2007, 05:22 PM
In fall and winter I am especially fond of spiced tea or chai, year round I really enjoy almost all kinds of good quality tea from japanese buckwheat tea to strawberry leaf(good for pregnant women:D) to ginger or white tea or sassafras root. I do not like coffee but teas and tisanes are my favorite drink. Right now I am drinking some Raspberry leaf/strawberry leaf/nettle/spearmint/fennel/rosehip/alfalfa/lemon verbena tea. It is really yummy in a spicy, herbal and slightly astringent way. No honey needed.

I really enjoy true teas wither black, oolong, green or white but there is something really nice about the traditional european herbals and fruit teas. THe German dried fruit teas are a real treat with a touch of honey as are the French tea lattes especially lavender or rose.

Deary
Friday, September 14th, 2007, 06:17 PM
My favorite brand of tea is Adiago (http://www.adagio.com/flavors/strawberry.html). Nothing sold in stores compares and I won't drink any other brand of tea. They have such a wide variety of quality flavored teas. I tend to enjoy chocolate the most. The fruit flavors teas are suiting for summer. Strawberry is the nicest to sniff. I keep a container of it on my desk to open every now and then. Seasonal flavors like christmas, pumpkin and caramel apple can be very interesting and fun to sip. Some of the white tea comes in the form of lovely bell-shapes and other beautiful designs.

I drink my tea hot, without sugar, milk or lemon. The only tea I drink cold, sweet and lemony is iced tea.

I've recently just discovered White Tea, which is the least processed, and derived from the tips of the plant (which are covered in fine white "hairs", hence the name "white tea")

I'm not sure if I understand you correctly when you say white tea is made from the "tips of the plant", but white tea is simply made from young leaves and young flower buds (when still covered in fine hairs) of the the Camellia tea plant.

Boche
Friday, September 14th, 2007, 06:18 PM
I prefer the tastes of Kamille:

http://img165.imageshack.us/img165/1144/v4001257154009li4.gif

and Fenchel:

http://img165.imageshack.us/img165/6329/getfilevr2.jpg

Gruß,
Boche

Matamoros
Friday, September 14th, 2007, 09:57 PM
I like Earl Grey best. :)

Eikinskjaldi
Saturday, September 15th, 2007, 02:37 AM
I drink National Cup Orange Pekoe & Cut Black Tea. I have no idea where this stuff is from...probably India or southeast Asia. Cost is 1 American dollar for 100 tagless tea bags. That's a penny a cup! I drink 6 to 12 cups a day sweetened with honey, hot in the winter, iced in the summer. I Pour boiling water over the tea, ( folks around where I live actually put tea bags into glass gallon jars of water and set them out in the sun to "brew". result: golden brown water, Not tea!) allow to steep for 5 to 7 minutes...must be very dark. This is my beverage of choice, aside from beer of course.:D

Bridie
Saturday, September 15th, 2007, 08:07 AM
I'm not sure if I understand you correctly when you say white tea is made from the "tips of the plant", but white tea is simply made from young leaves and young flower buds (when still covered in fine hairs) of the the Camellia tea plant.

I'm of the understanding that the tips of the plant is where the young leaves and flower buds are picked from. :) You know, the tips of the plant are where you find the new and tender leaves...

http://www.dadotea.com/04_greentea-fresh.jpg

Whereas with Black and Green tea they use the older, tougher parts of the plant too. :)

Incidentally, White Tea is higher in antioxidants due to the higher concentration of nutrients in young leaves. :)

Drink up!! :D

Next World
Friday, September 21st, 2007, 08:30 PM
I'm probably the most hardcore water drinker I know. For every million ounces of water I drink, I might drink one of something else. When I buy other drink-products it's assumed that I'm either going to use them for hygenic purposes (tea is great for the skin), or for cooking (wine, beer, juice). Just yesterday, actually, my mother made a big display at the grocery store because I decided to get myself acai berry juice to drink it, because I had read a lot about it and thought it was a ridiculous looking plant--I couldn't resist the urge to try it. She thought I was going to make acai berry beef stew or something ridiculous like that :p...

When I do drink tea, I prefer White tea. I usually buy it in bulk loose-leaves (paying for a cardboard box, foil or wax paper wrapper, and tea bags isn't the best option when you use pounds of tea at a time for bath products). I like to add dried fruit for flavor, usually slices of strawberries or peaches. If I have dried pineapple on hand, I'll throw a ring of that in, but usually my dried pineapple is gone not too long after it has finished drying.

The acai berry juice is promising, yet a bit strong. I think next time I go to the grocery store I'll pick up the acai/White tea blend, it sounds like it would be good now and then.

Blood_Axis
Wednesday, September 26th, 2007, 02:55 PM
You people should try Echinacea Tea.

I've tried this one (http://www.goodnessdirect.co.uk/detail/758756b.jpg) and it is splendid.

It is supposed to have boosting properties for the immune system :thumb001:

The Lawspeaker
Sunday, November 4th, 2007, 10:36 PM
http://images.jupiterimages.com/common/detail/83/35/23323583.jpg

Morrocan mint tea or Chinese Jasmin tea.

CrystalRose
Thursday, June 5th, 2008, 05:31 AM
i like both hot and cold tea with honey or lemon.

orange spice black tea
chamomile OR sleepy time tea
pear white tea
green tea
:p

Blood_Axis
Thursday, June 5th, 2008, 10:39 AM
I tried green tea with ginger...actually a friend of mine boiled the ginger root first and then dipped the tea bag in that stew, added a few drops of lemon juice and a tiny bit of brown sugar....and it was marvellous. You should try it! :)

Eikinskjaldi
Saturday, June 7th, 2008, 10:29 PM
I've started sweetening my tea with maple syrup instead of honey. So now it tastes like a tree.

andrea
Thursday, July 31st, 2008, 01:19 PM
I love tea:)
These two sorts are my favorite;)
http://www.naturheilkunde-shop24.de/inc/imagethumb.php?URL=../images/artikel/eigene/292378&Hoehe=500&Breite=500

http://www.ascopharm.de/ibase/module/medienarchiv/dateien/schwarzer_tee.jpg

I love to drink tea with honey, but also with sugar:D

Fortis_in_Arduis
Thursday, July 31st, 2008, 02:00 PM
I like very strong tea boiled in the pan with milk and lots of sugar.

I like Russian Caravan.

Hrodnand
Thursday, July 31st, 2008, 02:45 PM
I usually make tee from the herbs that I collect myself, for ex: chamomile, mint, yarrow, lemon-balm, strawberry leaf, nettle, nettle root etc. Though I never use sugar but honey instead.

RabbitAnnie
Sunday, August 9th, 2009, 10:01 PM
I love green tea and forest fruit :)

Runesinger
Saturday, September 5th, 2009, 02:52 AM
I like a good quality darjeeling

Barreldriver
Saturday, September 5th, 2009, 03:21 AM
I like some of that good ole "sweet tea", minus the lemon. :D

SpearBrave
Saturday, September 5th, 2009, 03:43 AM
Ice cold sweet tea in the summer, and Sasafrass in the winter and spring.

Oski
Saturday, September 5th, 2009, 04:24 AM
Hot green tea w/ lemon & honey when I'm sick, iced tea (unsweetened) w/ lemon the rest of the time. Iced green & white teas are good unsweetened too :thumbup

jacktheknife
Saturday, September 5th, 2009, 12:58 PM
Gentlemen,

My Colorado girl friend's daughter
drinks coke all the time, it's about the only thing she drinks.
She just found out she has spots on her liver like some old wino.

And that reminds me...
Water is good for a person of course.
But tea... I know this Chinaman, old Jimmy.
Owns a resturant and talk about drinking tea!
Jimmy fills a tea pot full of green tea and pours water over it.
I mean the tea pot if 100% full of tea!
Hardly enough room for the water,
but Jimmy get really wired up from that tea
and drinks it all day.
Says it doesn't keep him up at night because he is used to it.
And that taking the spoon and mashing the tea
against the side of the tea pot
"is traditional."
And I am having tea right now, 6:30 am.
Just tea with 'just a bit' of sugar and lemon,
maybe cinnamon
{Jimmy says Chinese do not like sugar in their tea.}

And I was wondering if tea in the water
is the same as water,
{except for sugar of course}
to ones body?

JacktheKnife

celticruine
Friday, October 2nd, 2009, 06:23 AM
I drink mostly Green Tea,Mate Tea and sometimes Peppermint from own growing.
White Tea makes me sick. :| because of the Antioxidants .. ?

Barreldriver
Sunday, October 4th, 2009, 03:55 AM
I drink mostly Green Tea,Mate Tea and sometimes Peppermint from own growing.
White Tea makes me sick. :| because of the Antioxidants .. ?

I like a good Green Tea and peppermint as well. :D I found that drinking White Tea helped with my hangovers lol.

Texas Redneck
Monday, March 22nd, 2010, 06:35 PM
Southern style sweet tea. Nothing better on a hot Texas summer day. :thumbup

Neophyte
Monday, August 16th, 2010, 02:36 AM
I mostly drink more traditional black teas like Keemun, Assam and Darjeeling, but I am certainly not stranger to Oolongs or Gunpowder. Not so much flavoured teas, the only one that I really like is Laichee (sometimes also transcribed Lichee), and that is well worth a try,

I do not like to buy tea in bags, or tea bags. I want to smell it before I but it, and the really good stuff does not come in a bag anyway. :)

Oski
Tuesday, August 17th, 2010, 05:42 AM
I drink lots of tazo brand but I'm thinking of boycotting starbucks due to the owners/ founders being jewish and according to someone I worked with (who is a soldier and works with the secret service) has his own secret service detail :|

The USA taxpayers are paying to protect jewish billionaires big surprise.

Northern Paladin
Tuesday, August 17th, 2010, 05:45 AM
hot black tea has got to be my all time favorite!!! then hot green tea, and also fruit flavored ice tea

Elfriede
Thursday, June 7th, 2012, 09:04 PM
I love tea :)

I have been really enjoying a brand called "Two Leaves and a Bud" lately, especially their Alpine Berry tea. It has such a lovely color when it's done steeping because it is made with hibiscus and blackberry. Sometimes if I can't sleep or I have a headache I have chamomile tea. I also like green tea or black tea in the morning.

I've also been experimenting with making my own blends of herbal tea using loose leaves from the health food store. My favorite that I've made has lavender, dried elderberries, chamomile, and whole rose blossoms. Sounds kind of weird, I know, but it's really nice and relaxing.

Here's an up-close picture of it:
http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z419/arcticbunnyy/DSC00828266x300.jpg

Elessar
Thursday, June 7th, 2012, 09:35 PM
Two Leaves and a Bud make great tea.
Aside from the orthodox approaches to tea, I enjoy Kombucha tea. I thought it tasted like cleaning astrigent at first, but it's grown on me, my favorite being the Green tea variant.
http://foodequalslovenyc.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/kombucha.jpg

Lady Vengeance
Thursday, June 7th, 2012, 10:02 PM
Green tea is one of my addictions in life. :P I have an entire stockpile here in my kitchen, been drinking it almost every morning. A much healthier alternative to morning coffee, and tastes great. My own favorite is green tea with berries and a long almondy aftertaste, but black tea and chamomile are also awesome.

OTOH, you have to make sure you buy the right organic brands, with tea leaves and not just shitty fillers. Also, you get major health benefits from drinking an organic white/green tea mix.

I've also been experimenting with making my own blends of herbal tea using loose leaves from the health food store. My favorite that I've made has lavender, dried elderberries, chamomile, and whole rose blossoms.
I'm way too lazy to brew my own herbal tea combos, but that sounds great. :) Have to try this myself sometime.

Aeternitas
Thursday, June 7th, 2012, 10:48 PM
I like tea and drink it hot for breakfast, as an afternoon drink with cookies (Macarons are a nice type of cookie for accompanying the afternoon tea), but also medicinally. I also drink it cold in the form of ice tea as a more natural alternative to fizzy drinks and commercial juices. I prefer both the more traditional chamomile, linden, jasmine, peppermint, nettle, herbal teas like hibiscus, rose(hip), cherry blossom, St. John's Wort but also fruity flavors like lemon/citrus, tangerine, raspberry, etc. My friend recommended Rooibos, a South African red tea.

http://www.africandawn.com/images/40g_natural.png

I've tried it and it's quite nice and flavorful as well. To note that Rooibos tea does not contain caffeine. It is a tea that both tastes good and has medicinal benefits (antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, anti-aging, anxiety relief, good for management of metabolic disturbances) for which it has gotten a lot of attention from researchers. Green rooibos carries a malty and slightly grassy flavour somewhat different from its red counterpart.

In terms of brands Lipton, Teekanne, Julius Meinl or Twinings are names I can think of. Most of them offer a wide variety of flavors, ranging from the usual/traditional types to modern or exotic combinations like apple - cinnamon, passion fruit, Marrakesh mint or Brazilian lime.

I generally like my tea sweet so I will add sugar or honey to it. If I am making ice tea then I will add some pieces of fruit (usually slices of lemon, lime or orange), accompanied by mint leaves but also berries depending on the type of tea I will be having. I never add milk to my tea and to be honest, I've never really understood the combination... the Brits in particular like it. Well, to each his own. :P

In winter or during cold weather, if I really want to spice my tea up with something, I will add a dash of rum. Jägertee has become a popular après-ski drink in the Alps, made by mixing black tea with rum, red wine, plum brandy, orange juice and various spices.

In summer I drink iced tea, either homemade or the brands Pfanner, Lipton, Nestea, Rauch, OKF, AriZona. Pfanner has some interesting color-based combinations - green (lemon - prickly pear), yellow (lemon - physalis) and red (lemon - pomegranate). OKF mixes conventional tea drinks with aloe.

http://www.quad-rat.com/images/master_pfanner_960x8002.png?crc=27591320 6

Thorbrand
Thursday, June 7th, 2012, 11:05 PM
I am a tea-drinker, hot, strong, 1 sugar and a spot of milk (and the pot must be warmed first!).

It is the best drink in the world (even dare I say, as a beer swigger and brewer, better than beer!). Good for hot weather and cool..

My favourite tipple is the smokey delight of Lapsang Souchong with Rooibos and Earl Grey a close second.

Rooibos is the most wonderful tea for a refreshing, hot and healthy sustaining drink in the day (black and sweet) especially in the heat of the Highveld.

Sehnsucht
Thursday, June 7th, 2012, 11:30 PM
Yorkshire tea, very milky. F' da haters.

KingOvGermania
Thursday, June 7th, 2012, 11:30 PM
Absolutely love tea! I prefer iced tea, but I love any good tea...my favorite varieties are probably Green, Black, Acai berry, and Rooibos.
And Elessar, I've heard of Kombucha tea before, but never had it. Would you recommend any kind of it that don't taste like, in your words, cleaning astringent?

Neophyte
Thursday, June 7th, 2012, 11:31 PM
Here is what I would recommend you all to try:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longjing_tea
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tieguanyin

:)

Germania Magna
Friday, June 8th, 2012, 12:31 AM
I have several cups of this a day, ranging from very milky to no milk, only occasionally with sugar. Traditional 'breakfast' blends of Assam, Ceylon and Kenyan black teas are the most popular tea in England. I like to sip it while I pipe the Dunhill tobaccos as it doesnt spoil the taste like bitter coffee.

http://www.british-food-shop.de/WebRoot/Store11/Shops/61307590/45E6/9E95/B51D/0C4F/BCA8/51A9/90B2/F0A5/twinings_english_breakfast_100_new_with_ logo.jpg

Plantagenet
Friday, June 8th, 2012, 02:09 AM
I too love tea, I use it to relax in the evenings while listening to equally relaxing music. Primarily green tea, but I also enjoy black tea. Chamomile, while technically not tea, makes a nice tea for relaxation purposes too.

I don't take any milk or sugar. My main problem is right now I have to ghetto-rig my tea since my kettle broke. I am reduced to using a bag and either boiling water on the stove or if I am feeling lazy microwaving it. I drink around 3 cups of tea a day. Oddly I don't care for iced tea so much.

Primus
Friday, June 8th, 2012, 02:11 AM
Green tea, with orange or mint, is my favorite type of tea.

Vulcade
Friday, June 8th, 2012, 06:37 AM
I drink a lot of tea but not a wide variety. Green tea is my favourite.

Elessar
Friday, June 8th, 2012, 06:52 PM
And Elessar, I've heard of Kombucha tea before, but never had it. Would you recommend any kind of it that don't taste like, in your words, cleaning astringent?
The thing is is that they're a fermented drink (meaning literally "yeast drink" in Japanese), so they're all going to taste somewhat alcoholic and bitter, but not in a bad way. I personally recommend the green tea, but it's up to your personal preference, they have a variety of flavors

Coillearnach
Monday, June 11th, 2012, 07:39 AM
White tea or maté. I enjoy teas with rose or cherry accents.

This one is absolutely delicious!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v666/made_in_ireland/snowgeisha.jpg

http://www.teavana.com/the-teas/white-teas/p/snow-geisha-white-tea

tigerlily
Friday, June 22nd, 2012, 11:55 PM
I'm not the biggest fan of tea (I'm more of a coffee gal :D) but I do love to brew some mint tea before bed at times. It clears my head and puts me right to sleep when I need it. Totally recommend. ;)

Jens
Saturday, June 23rd, 2012, 12:05 AM
I'm not the biggest fan of tea (I'm more of a coffee gal :D) but I do love to brew some mint tea before bed at times. It clears my head and puts me right to sleep when I need it. Totally recommend. ;)

Jasmine works well too :thumbup

Frostbite
Saturday, June 23rd, 2012, 01:24 AM
I occasionally drink ice tea but I don't really care for hot tea or coffee.

hyidi
Saturday, June 23rd, 2012, 01:53 AM
Some times. Mainly at night time, 3-4 sugars white.

Angus
Saturday, June 23rd, 2012, 02:04 AM
I probably drink a wee too much tea. :P My per day average is any where between 4-6 cups. I usually won't put any sugars in mine.

Hersir
Saturday, June 23rd, 2012, 09:00 AM
I mostly drink tea in school, 1-3 cups a day.

Never use any sugar, that stuff is really bad for you.

hyidi
Saturday, June 23rd, 2012, 09:58 AM
I actually thought 'cup of tea' were only drunk in Britain and the commonwealth countries (Including the US) Tea is a very British native drink.

I find that it's a good thing that other European countries had something British in them culturally,since Britain is isolated from the rest of Europe.

Gustaaf
Saturday, June 23rd, 2012, 03:49 PM
I've only tried tea a couple of times. I didn't like it. I'm a coffee guy.

Neophyte
Sunday, June 24th, 2012, 05:30 PM
I actually thought 'cup of tea' were only drunk in Britain and the commonwealth countries (Including the US) Tea is a very British native drink.

I find that it's a good thing that other European countries had something British in them culturally,since Britain is isolated from the rest of Europe.

Actually no. The British government promoted tea drinking over coffee because all the coffee that the Britons drank---remember all the London coffee houses?---took up so much of the available cargo space that it threatened to undermine Britain's position as a leading maritime power. The special status of tea in today's Anglo society is solely a result of government policy and intervention.

So, yes, you can legislate culture.

arthaus
Saturday, July 28th, 2012, 09:17 PM
Oh yes, I drink 3 big cups of Green tea every day :D
I preffer green tea with added taste. My current favorite are green tea and mint. The mint removes some of the bitterness of the green tea(provided you like the taste of mint!)

Besides being a nice and tasty drink, it's very healthy.
It contains flavonoids, acting as a powerfull antioxidant, and are thought by many cultures to reduce chance of cancer and sickness.

Green tea is found to strengthen the immune system:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_tea#Scientific_studies