PDA

View Full Version : Gode Cookery: Medieval Recipes and Cooking

Leofric
Saturday, September 1st, 2007, 11:40 PM
http://www.godecookery.com/

This site has a compliation of materials for preparing medieval food in medieval ways. It began as a project converting a few 14th- and 15th-century manuscripts on food preparation into recipes that conform to modern expectations of the genre and blossomed from there.

Now it is a very full resource for anyone interested in preparing historically authentic dishes, whether for living history, historical recreations, or simply for connecting to your ancestors. There are currently hundreds of recipes, as well as a variety of articles on topics such as feast preparation, cooking methods, use of various ingredients, and so forth.

The focus is predominantly English, but there are some Continental recipes and resources as well.

Janus
Sunday, September 2nd, 2007, 01:10 AM
I have a cookbook with real medieval dishes that are much older aswell but unfortunately those dishes are entirely from France or Italy.

Hohenheim
Thursday, November 15th, 2007, 10:14 AM
Try to make some meals yourself. I want to see results!

http://www.godecookery.com/

Leof
Thursday, November 15th, 2007, 10:24 AM
I am an avid believer in Medieval cooking! Last thanksgiving we had some medieval dishes. Also back in my homestate we have a medieval village that has the best food on Earth! I would love to be a cook for them.

The Lawspeaker
Saturday, November 24th, 2007, 02:35 AM
I have only eaten medieval food a few times and I love it. It has much more taste then our own modern, blend cooking.
That you for the information: I will use it well.:)

The Lawspeaker
Saturday, November 24th, 2007, 02:42 AM
This is actually just what I was looking for, thank you Leofric.
Allthough Hohenheim has also published this same link.

Blood_Axis
Saturday, November 24th, 2007, 04:39 PM
I tried medieval cooking in Stockholm....quite an experience! :thumb001:

Aeternitas
Wednesday, December 19th, 2007, 04:11 AM
Good site, I tried cooking a few meals from there. I recently tried this one, came out pretty good:

To make a Tarte of Ryce. From Sallets Humbles & Shrewsbery Cakes, p. 73:

To make a Tarte of Ryce. Boyle your Rice, and put in the yolkes of two or three egges into the rice, and when it is boyled, put it into a dish, and season it with Suger, Sinamon, and Ginger, and butter, and the juice of two or three Orenges, and set it on the fire again.

Rice was boiled in a mixture of milk & water; egg yolks, sugar, cinnamon, ginger, butter, & a little orange juice were mixed in, and the rice was allowed to cook for several more minutes before serving.

By the way, here is another reason to cook medieval food. :D

If they managed to survive plague and pestilence, medieval humans may have enjoyed healthier lifestyles than their descendants today, it has been claimed.
Their low-fat, vegetable-rich diet - washed down by weak ale - was far better for the heart than today's starchy, processed foods, one GP says.

And while they consumed more they burnt off calories in a workout of 12 hours' labour, Dr Roger Henderson concludes.
Read more: Medieval diets 'far more healthy' (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7148534.stm)