PDA

View Full Version : Possible phenotype database of celebrities as examples

Suetonius
Wednesday, August 29th, 2007, 10:39 PM
This database would contain the major phenotypical categories but also more detailed hybrid ones. Correlation between haplogroups and phenotype could also be studied. Those who have the same y-dna and mtdna and are not known to have mixed with completely different ethnicities would be displayed together.

Obviously picture rights might be a problem. There should though be free pictures available for most celebrities.

Freydis
Thursday, August 30th, 2007, 02:16 AM
Celebrities are not good examples, in my opinion, due to alteration by surgery and alteration by photoshop.

spaceman
Thursday, August 30th, 2007, 03:38 AM
photo databases are the best way if you want an accurate depiction of phenotypes in a particular area. both flickr and pbase have hundreds of millions of photos, searcheable by nation, city, region, etc.

Hrodwulf
Thursday, August 30th, 2007, 04:00 AM
Celebrities are not good examples, in my opinion, due to alteration by surgery and alteration by photoshop.

Agreed, but if this is to be done, it has to be with modern faces.

The Coon Photos from 50 years ago are when people were so weathered, they barely resemble the people of today.

Also, I simply like people I can relate to.

Freydis
Thursday, August 30th, 2007, 01:37 PM
Then find pictures of people like was suggested. ;)

Runesinger
Monday, September 3rd, 2007, 04:07 PM
This database would contain the major phenotypical categories but also more detailed hybrid ones. Correlation between haplogroups and phenotype could also be studied. Those who have the same y-dna and mtdna and are not known to have mixed with completely different ethnicities would be displayed together.

Obviously picture rights might be a problem. There should though be free pictures available for most celebrities.

I have a better idea. Why don't we just start a Hollywood gossip thread in the lowbrow section? Then those who care can talk about the tabloids and prattle on about their favorite celebrities.

Totally agree with Freydis. Most celebrities have undergone too many unnatural procedures to make themselves look good in front of the camera. They are only good examples of cosmetic surgery.

Prime examples: Michael Jackson the White Man and Cher's ever-shrinking nose?

Ahnenerbe
Friday, September 28th, 2007, 11:03 PM
Correlation between haplogroups and phenotype could also be studied.

I wish there was a Haplogroup field in the user's profile. Then the correlation, if any, could already appear for each user.

Loftor
Sunday, November 11th, 2007, 05:03 PM
Good suggestion. Like the SNPA site.