PDA

View Full Version : Evidence of 'gay civil unions' found from medieval southern Europe

SwordOfTheVistula
Tuesday, August 28th, 2007, 06:08 AM
Although the term 'western' is used, it appears to be in fact southern Europe that these were prevalent in, and no evidence of any such contracts in northern Europe.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20464004/

Civil unions between male couples existed around 600 years ago in medieval Europe, a historian now says.

he found legal contracts from late medieval France that referred to the term "affrèrement," roughly translated as brotherment. Similar contracts existed elsewhere in Mediterranean Europe, Tulchin said.

Hrodwulf
Tuesday, August 28th, 2007, 06:20 AM
Although the term 'western' is used, it appears to be in fact southern Europe that these were prevalent in, and no evidence of any such contracts in northern Europe.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20464004/

Civil unions between male couples existed around 600 years ago in medieval Europe, a historian now says.

he found legal contracts from late medieval France that referred to the term "affrèrement," roughly translated as brotherment. Similar contracts existed elsewhere in Mediterranean Europe, Tulchin said.

I believe this is historical revisionism, completely.

And, i'm one of those people who are fine with them marrying each other (provided that all marriages are not handled by the state, anymore).

In the middle ages, things were, how can I put it? Not exactly that open-minded or 'liberal' (by ANY modern definition).

There may have been a gay couple or two who took advantage of a law designed to protect siblings, but that doesn't remotely mean it was 'accepted', in any way, shape or form.

Æmeric
Tuesday, August 28th, 2007, 01:37 PM
I believe this is historical revisionism, completely.

Exactly. These medieval arrangements were something other then sexual. They were more likely some kind of business arrangement. Perhaps an elderly person without relatives designating another person as "brother" (his heir"), in exchange for being taken care of in oldage. In any event, if these were "same-sex union" as they are called in the 21st century, when did they become illegal?

ladybright
Tuesday, August 28th, 2007, 04:38 PM
I imagine that there were a few cases of homosexuals using this 'afferment', but I also think that they would have been an extreme minority. This sounds like a 'Boston Marriage (http://womenshistory.about.com/od/bostonmarriage/a/boston_marriage.htm)' but for men. It sounds like an interesting social artifact but not something that bothers me.

I have also heard of Veterans(both WWII, Korea and Vietnam) who do not have family or heirs making business arangements similar to these.

Janus
Tuesday, August 28th, 2007, 05:20 PM
Yeah they are for sure homosexual unions, same as blood brothers were gays in denial aswell. It's a funny trait of the gay and black movement that they try to find evidences for their own group in history if there is even the slightest idea of a hint that it could have been that way. I kind of agree with Lady Bright on the rest.

SwordOfTheVistula
Wednesday, August 29th, 2007, 05:03 AM
Yeah I guess that makes sense, seeing as how they also try to make every famous historical person who wasn't married or had marital issues 'gay'