PDA

View Full Version : Alpinid + Nord/Atlantid = Pseudo-Dinarid?

Warsong
Wednesday, August 22nd, 2007, 04:45 PM
This was something that came across my mind the other day while thinking of ancient Britons who had a dinarid like appearance (some still inhabiting Britain of course) There was a Channel 4 documentary not long ago that reconstructed an ancient Scottish skull and the result came back very dinarid looking. I should add the woman who did the reconstruction also mentioned he was a robust brachycephalic (though with a long face and sharp features)

Britain has had several waves of migration obviously. Some of which look very alpinid (think of darked haired brachycephalic liverpool or welsh small med pictish sorts of types) and of course nords, paleo-atlantids, atlanto-meds etc.

I know that Coon had once hypothesized that all dinarids had come from an alpinid and leptomorphic mixtures, though most would disagree with this, as would I, but I think perhaps that a sort of psuedo-dinarid result could come from it. Think of Jay Leno as an example. Very long faced high meso~brachycephs. Maybe this mixture is what created Bell Beaker dinarids?

BTW I know tronder is the usual result of such a mixture.

Frans_Jozef
Friday, August 24th, 2007, 10:57 PM
Here's a repost from my piece originally written for Skadi/BuB on the subject of pseudo-dinaroids and the Beaker type:

The planoccipital component in the Beaker Folk is often but erroneously regarded as a Dinaric property and hence the Dinaric element made prevalent despite some complex issues; the broadish, rugged cranio-facial aspects receive only the slightest of importance and the issue around pigmentation isn't much touched on, either.

This niggling aside, the matter remains complex.
Absorption of local populations surely has had its impact on the Beaker Folk, but not necessary did it lead to attentuation of features.

In their westward contiguous wanderings, they would meet in the Ardennes the stunted but rugged Furfooz type, an Alpine-Borreby intermediate that also till today might be found in NE France, commingled with the prevalent Noric race though, next to the cromagnoid Borreby the kernel element of the Beaker Folk - stronger graded into a dinaroid morphology, less corpulent, long-faced but fair-pigmentated.

Furtheron, the Southern Netherlands and NW France had a strong Alpine countenance, by the end of the Neolitic however the Nordic/Nordoid comes to the surface and while the Alpine race decreases in the north, this period marks probably the instance that the SubNordic comes in the scene.

SubNordic is of course a misnomer. It either relates to a mesocephalic variety of the East Baltic race, sometimes identified as Vistulian, or to a subbranch of Georges Montandon's Greater Blond Race, which includes all Northern races which aren't equally blond, long-headed and so on, but not a Nordic-Alpine blend, which he calls "pseudo-dinaroid": tall in appearance, chestnut brown-haired, fair-skinned, brachycephalic (curvo/planoccipital condition not specified) and unlike 'true' Dinarics, face and head form are in harmonic measures.

But let us not delve deeper into semantics and stick to the misnomer before things go hazy.

In my view, SubNordics can be seperated in three possible typological outcomes: a) the basic and stabilized pseudo-Dinaroid , b) a re-emerged Borreby through hybrid vigour and c) a roundheaded Nordic/Nordoid, sometimes barely distinguishable from a pure Nordic, sometimes more akin to an overgrown Noric.

All these populations must have helped to underscore the dinariomorphic Cromagnoid strain of the Beaker Folk, yet simultaniously it egressed in a profuseness in variability, thus creating a composite race upon which a classification might reflect its very diverse origin.