PDA

View Full Version : Zero Post Accounts Are Regularly Deleted

Aeternitas
Saturday, August 18th, 2007, 08:20 AM
A lurker is a person who reads discussions on a message board but does not post.

Every few weeks, our system automatically deletes the accounts of members that are no active contributors. You do not need an account to read the threads and posts on Skadi Forum, so we see no purpose in having non-contributing members. We want to reserve precious system resources such as the PM system and access to attachments to contributing members only.

If you were not aware of this policy and your account was deleted, feel free to sign up again. If you want to make sure your account stays with us, make at least one post after you register (an introduction would be a simple suggestion to break the ice).

Thank you.

aquitanos
Friday, August 31st, 2007, 06:04 PM
I noticed today that quite a few accounts were grey/inactive - but most of those posters had many posts.

Are there any other reasons why accounts will get inactivated monthly?

Leofric
Friday, August 31st, 2007, 06:15 PM
I noticed today that quite a few accounts were grey/inactive - but most of those posters had many posts.

http://forums.skadi.net/showthread.php?t=92897

Drakkar
Friday, August 31st, 2007, 09:42 PM
Yes, well, I had just created an account last night without a comment and alas, I didn't exist anymore.

OneEnglishNorman
Friday, August 31st, 2007, 10:02 PM
If... someone registered last week with 0 posts and then were deleted, can they register again with the same username? Would they get banned if they did this. Or can someone else lobby the staff to get the account re-activated?

I know someone in this situation. I wish they had written an introductory post.

Aeternitas
Friday, August 31st, 2007, 10:12 PM
Yes, well, I had just created an account last night without a comment and alas, I didn't exist anymore.
Well, the system doesn't check the registration date so it was unfortunate for those who registered just before the end of the month. The only solution to this is to make a post shortly after registration. It does not have to be a lengthy one, a short introduction isn't much effort.

If... someone registered last week with 0 posts and then were deleted, can they register again with the same username? Would they get banned if they did this. Or can someone else lobby the staff to get the account re-activated?

I know someone in this situation. I wish they had written an introductory post.
Once an account is deleted, it cannot be re-activated. It is gone from the database. That means that the user can register again with the same details (user name, email address, etc.). No, they won't be banned, they're actually encouraged to re-register if their accounts got deleted and they'd like to post here.

Drakkar
Friday, August 31st, 2007, 10:39 PM
Once an account is deleted, it cannot be re-activated. It is gone from the database. That means that the user can register again with the same details (user name, email address, etc.). No, they won't be banned, they're actually encouraged to re-register if their accounts got deleted and they'd like to post here.
That's what I did. I understand the actions of the forum admin. and respect them, and it was no problem.

Vintersverd
Sunday, September 30th, 2007, 07:51 AM
I kind of lurk around on this forum reading articles and stuff where I normally thank them or something as I don't always have something to say but I try and post every now and then. I don't really like the idea as it's not like Stormfront where antis maybe lurking or something but I suppose its good to free up bandwidth.

Fafner
Sunday, September 30th, 2007, 11:23 PM
That means that if I don't post for a long time (supose I'm travelling so I can't visit the forum) my account will be still active?

Aeternitas
Monday, October 1st, 2007, 12:34 AM
That means that if I don't post for a long time (supose I'm travelling so I can't visit the forum) my account will be still active?
Yes of course. You could be away for an unlimited time and your account would still be active. The requirement is to have at least one post on Skadi.

Þórir
Tuesday, October 2nd, 2007, 02:54 AM
I kind of lurk around on this forum reading articles and stuff where I normally thank them or something as I don't always have something to say but I try and post every now and then. I don't really like the idea as it's not like Stormfront where antis maybe lurking or something but I suppose its good to free up bandwidth.

I'm also here to learn mostly, as Germanic preservation and racial awareness are new to me. I do try and contribute sometimes, though.

Oski
Sunday, November 25th, 2007, 08:09 AM
Start posting people we're not here to read the same old posts!

:D

Brynhild
Saturday, January 12th, 2008, 03:30 AM
Hmmmmm I seem to have lurked in recent weeks - without actually meaning to. My reasons for that at the time were not wishing to directly involve myself in any discussions but to thank people for posts, pms etc.

I know this doesn't necessarily apply to me, because I post quite a bit, but I don't want anybody to get the wrong idea about why I had been on without posting in recent weeks.

cerdic
Tuesday, January 15th, 2008, 06:13 PM
Well here is my 1st post.

cheers:)

Dagna
Monday, February 4th, 2008, 07:09 PM
I believe it is a good idea to remove lurkers from the forum if they do not introduce themselves or make a post. I find people who do not say anything but visit here and read threads suspicious. I believe some are infiltrators who try to gather gossip material for WN or non-Germanic sites. A honest person always makes his/her intentions known.

Blood_Axis
Monday, February 4th, 2008, 07:55 PM
I believe it is a good idea to remove lurkers from the forum if they do not introduce themselves or make a post. I find people who do not say anything but visit here and read threads suspicious. I believe some are infiltrators who try to gather gossip material for WN or non-Germanic sites. A honest person always makes his/her intentions known.
I also think that just 1 introduction post is not enough.

I mean, I understand how some people prefer to read rather than write, or that they could be shy about posting in a public forum.

However, doesn't that defeat the whole purpose?
What is the place of registering to a forum (area for discussion), say "hello I'm Bill" and then be silent for the rest of your stay? :confused:
I think it's kind of like "abusing" a forum's resources, in the sense of consumming bandwidth and taking up ready made knowledge without ever contributing anything yourself...

HarkenScyld
Thursday, May 22nd, 2008, 03:51 PM
I have been a somewhat chronic lurker in past months, but only because I had no internet access.

Haereticus
Sunday, January 4th, 2009, 11:04 PM
Fair enough. I've 'lurked' in the past. In the words of Talking Heads - Psychokiller, "When I have nothing to say, my lips are sealed". I think it's a good idea to 'lurk' for a while. In fact registering on a board and jumping straight in without reading a lot of what's already been said could be quite annoying for established forum members. I'd tend to read a fair bit before registering though.

Nachtengel
Sunday, January 4th, 2009, 11:12 PM
Since the board is public, lurking can be done before registration. Why register if you have nothing to say? You might as well keep reading it without holding an account. I see the point though, jumping it straight away without getting a glimpse what this is about can be misinterpreted as silly and rude. So it's best if the newbies introduce themselves and let us know their politics, interest, so we get to know them better. :)

Thusnelda
Monday, January 5th, 2009, 01:35 AM
I think it's a good idea to 'lurk' for a while. In fact registering on a board and jumping straight in without reading a lot of what's already been said could be quite annoying for established forum members.
I see the point though, jumping it straight away without getting a glimpse what this is about can be misinterpreted as silly and rude.
Yes thatīs right, and I had the same feelings of insecurity when I was a new member here at Skadi nearly exactly four years ago. ;) I felt crushed at the sight of the massive amount of informations, threads and postings, and I didnīt knew how to start the best way and how to get along with the board-specific habits and the senior members. So I started with some quite shy postings (I didnīt wanted to make any mistakes) until I became more familiar and secure. :) An other point was that I was one of the youngest members back then - I had worries that I couldnīt meet the expectations of the older and more experienced ones.

So I can assure all lurkers and potential new members: Experience comes with time - and so does familiarization. Just give it a try! :thumbup Everyone was a newbie at one time. And we donīt bite! (At least as long as youīre Germanic :P *g* )

Ossi
Monday, January 5th, 2009, 01:58 AM
Some people over here have their regular status go to their heads. I remember when I was new they tried to argue my points didn't matter because I was only there for some weeks or something like that. :oanieyes Silly strategy, but not everyone is like that.

Aeternitas
Monday, January 5th, 2009, 01:59 AM
We sometimes get e-mails from people who cannot log in because their account details aren't recognized. These people were unlucky to register right before the systematic deletion occurred. So yes, it's advisable that the newly registered make an introductory post as a start. This is, in part, for technical reasons: to preserve their account. If one has as much as one post on Skadi, then one's account will remain active and one can read and browse around at one's will. One can use the subscribe thread option to get back to interesting discussions. Introductions are also a good way to interact with the members and get to know each other somewhat.

Vikingland
Friday, March 20th, 2009, 03:05 PM
I wouldn't consider myself a lurker, as I have been a part of these forums for several years and spread the word to several other people who have eventually became members and I believe they post far more often then I do.
However, I do post very rarely, mainly because of the lack of free time I have. But, whenever I do need an explanation I have the ability to ask a question, and have conversations in private with other members through the private messaging. I do have several restrictions on my account though still, and receive a similar warning when I try to do certain things on the website.
Is this because I do not post often enough ?
Just as an example, I can't post in certain areas, and I do not have access to the games section. (although I don't think I would spend time playing games :D, it would be nice to know why I'm restricted to play them)

Aeternitas
Friday, March 20th, 2009, 03:18 PM
I do have several restrictions on my account though still, and receive a similar warning when I try to do certain things on the website.
Is this because I do not post often enough ?
Just as an example, I can't post in certain areas,
According to your profile, you are a senior member (regular). Which areas would those be? These two cases are the only ones that come to mind right now: Members can't start threads in the Skadi Staff Announcements (http://forums.skadi.net/forumdisplay.php?f=61) area, but they can reply to threads there. The Rules & Regulations (http://forums.skadi.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3) area is completely closed for posting.

and I do not have access to the games section. (although I don't think I would spend time playing games :D, it would be nice to know why I'm restricted to play them)Why can't I play in the Arcade? (http://forums.skadi.net/faq.php?faq=skadi_faq#faq_new_faq_item_a rcade)

Basically, the arcade is only open to funding members.

Anselm
Wednesday, October 14th, 2009, 05:55 AM
I'm a lurker mostly, but I do like to post at times, and I'd post more in the anthropolgy sections if I could use photos.

I'm trying to learn more about racial typing, and some of the posters there are amazing at it. I think I need 15 posts before I can use photos though.

I should have 15 posts in a year lol.

Paddyboy
Wednesday, October 14th, 2009, 03:37 PM
I don't get lurkers ? to be honest....What's the point of joining a forum if you're not going to interact with other members ?????
That's were the fun is. Or am I missing something here.

Norling
Friday, June 3rd, 2011, 02:54 PM
If memory serves well, I was a member here years ago. I signed anewed today, hopefully I'll be able to contribute with a few cents to the threads every now and then.

Thusnelda
Friday, June 3rd, 2011, 03:09 PM
If memory serves well, I was a member here years ago.
Whatīs the name of your old nick? Maybe we can reactivate it. :)

Norling
Saturday, June 4th, 2011, 12:56 AM
Whatīs the name of your old nick? Maybe we can reactivate it. :)

I have a few guesses but I don't rightly recall which one I used. It must've been over four years ago. No worries.

moromans
Saturday, June 4th, 2011, 01:25 AM
I guess I am a lurked too. In conversations, I tend to be a listener. Plus, I have not been on the site much for awhile but lately, with a new iPad, have become more active. Also, I did not know lurking was not appreciated. Sorry!

Wittmann
Friday, June 10th, 2011, 08:48 AM
I have a few guesses but I don't rightly recall which one I used. It must've been over four years ago. No worries.

Welcome back nonetheless! :thumbup

Albie
Saturday, June 25th, 2011, 06:00 AM
(http://forums.skadi.net/showthread.php?t=744)

I clicked on the link, in the quote, and it took me to http://forums.skadi.net/showthread.php?t=744

I thought I'd let you know about that.

Albie

Fionnbharr
Tuesday, June 28th, 2011, 08:12 AM
A lurker is a person who reads discussions on a message board but does not post.

Well, but what can I do to not-to-be a lurker? I have send two posts, but they probably are deleted or lost.

Edit later: sorry, I have not noticed, my posts appeared, but only with delay about one day.

lrncu1
Tuesday, January 23rd, 2018, 05:36 PM
It says i have not posted in 3 weeks is fair.I do not wish to be deleted,so,I am posting here.Here it is January 23,2018 and the Planet is still in turmoil.
I am not feeling well today and have a Drs' visit this afternoon which is long overdue.Thanks for taking the time to read me.lrncu1

Gareth Lee Hunter
Tuesday, January 23rd, 2018, 10:43 PM
It says i have not posted in 3 weeks is fair.I do not wish to be deleted,so,I am posting here.Here it is January 23,2018 and the Planet is still in turmoil.
I am not feeling well today and have a Drs' visit this afternoon which is long overdue.Thanks for taking the time to read me.lrncu1

I hope you quickly recover your good health. And then you can join in on the discussions here more often. :)

albert
Friday, March 16th, 2018, 05:44 PM

Response:

Is that thread in a restricted forum or why do I encounter an "albert, you do not have permission to access this page" notification?

Regards,
Albert.

Thorburn
Friday, March 16th, 2018, 11:13 PM
Response:

Is that thread in a restricted forum or why do I encounter an "albert, you do not have permission to access this page" notification?

Regards,
Albert. Correct. The thread has been removed from public view because its content is no longer relevant.