PDA

View Full Version : Your favourite Saga(s)?

Sigurd
Tuesday, August 7th, 2007, 02:06 AM
Self explanatory. Which one(s) is/are your favorite Saga(s), and why?

For me it was Egil's Saga and Njal's Saga. Egil's Saga for the mixture between the adventure and the dilemma of outlawry, and Njal's Saga mainly for my obsession with Lawspeaking and Justice (Hel, I don't study Law for no reason.... ). ... besides they were the first two I ever read. Either way, these were the two I felt offered the most refreshing experience, though I enjoyed several others too.

:hveðrungur:
Tuesday, August 7th, 2007, 02:29 AM
Egil's saga would have to be number one, it is by far the most interesting, entertaining and runic related of many of the Saga's I have read, at least IMO (I have no read all of them). I also enjoyed the Laxdaela saga and the Vinland saga's. The vinland saga's for obvious reasons being of some Icelandic ancestry and living in North America.

Heimskringla Saga has to be up there too, pretty long but a damn good read.

hodekin
Tuesday, August 7th, 2007, 06:11 PM
For me it is King Haralds saga. Anything that throws light on the final events of the year 1066 is good by me!

Hodekin

Ægir
Friday, August 10th, 2007, 07:29 PM
For me it would have to be the Vinland Sagas; The Saga of the Greenlanders, and Erik the Red’s Saga. Not only are they a good read and action packed but they in some strange way give a little meaning to my life. As a Vinlander myself (living much further south than they ever made it) these text show my birthright to live where I do. Now granted they do not show Germanic peoples developing a sustainable economy on the North American continent, however they do show the first Europeans who settled at all and/or explored this land. It was not someone of Romance origin that did it…it was a Norseman!

Galloglaich
Friday, August 10th, 2007, 11:47 PM
This changes on a frequent basis, but Egil's Saga (ahhh, the Odinic verse) and Grettir's Saga are always high on the list. Njal's Saga is always good as well (aren't they all?)

Freydis
Saturday, August 11th, 2007, 01:08 AM
I really can't make a definitive choice, but my favourite could be "Njals Saga", if I have to pick one.

Galloglaich
Monday, August 13th, 2007, 07:22 AM
For me it would have to be the Vinland Sagas; The Saga of the Greenlanders, and Erik the Red’s Saga. Not only are they a good read and action packed but they in some strange way give a little meaning to my life. As a Vinlander myself (living much further south than they ever made it) these text show my birthright to live where I do. Now granted they do not show Germanic peoples developing a sustainable economy on the North American continent, however they do show the first Europeans who settled at all and/or explored this land. It was not someone of Romance origin that did it…it was a Norseman!

The Vinland Sagas have impacted me too in the same way. As an interesting side note (as someone of "mixed";) origin myself), the first European child born in North America (at least according to the Sagas), Snorri Thorfinsson, was of Norse/Gaelic (in this case Irish, if I remember correctly) stock. Considering the evolution of this continent, I see that as somewhat fitting.

Anleifr
Tuesday, October 11th, 2011, 03:07 PM
Hrolf Kraki's saga would have to be mine. The ideal of striving to be something greater than yourself, illustrated in the war-band and the king himself, is one of my favorite central themes.

While I enjoy many of the sagas at different times, Hrolf Kraki is one I come back to time after time. I almost always carry a copy when I go out into the field, a well-thumbed Poul Anderson rendition. Like a good Louis L'Amour novel, it is an endlessly enjoyable and thought-provoking literary work.

Thorwald
Sunday, October 23rd, 2011, 02:47 PM
The Volsung Saga. Great story, and very relevant for those who take Odin as a patron.

I've had trouble reading the rest of the sagas because they do tend to drone on and on and on. But I do like Egil's saga, and the references to rune work.

Hersir
Sunday, October 23rd, 2011, 04:39 PM
I like Gunnlaug Ormstunges saga. He has a road called up after him where I live

Lyfing
Friday, October 28th, 2011, 12:49 AM
Gautrek's Saga is my favorite. Starkad sacrifices King Vikar to Odin..:D

Later,
-Lyfing

Primus
Friday, October 28th, 2011, 04:24 AM
Hrolf Kraki's Saga and Egil Skallagrimsson's Saga. And the granddaddy of them all: Beowulf.