PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on artificial insemination

Tabitha
Monday, February 26th, 2007, 05:50 PM
Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on single women using artificial insemination to obtain the child they have longed for. Is it an abomination causing further break down to the family, yet another consumer fad and an example of the ďmeĒ generation of our times or a valid means to a fruitful end?

I ask because my 39 year old friend is waiting on a Fedex package of sperm from the US. I started out by calling her choice selfish but I do empathise with her aching need to have a child,however I canít get past my opinion that a child needs to know both of its parents and where it has come from to have a strong sense of self and integrity.

I did linger on the site and it really is just like online shopping,I felt my index finger quiver over the blond, 6 foot, blue eyes, add to basket option.

And no, this isnít one of those letters to a problem page asking on behalf of "a friend." ;)

Boche
Monday, February 26th, 2007, 05:58 PM
If it's impossible for them to get a man then they might have a reason. Altough i think it will be very sad for the children later on when the mother says: ''Hey! I bought you from a Sperm Bank!''
It's something i wouldn't count as good. It depends on, if the woman is egoistic or not.
She is in some way egoistic, when she gets one, because she doesn't think about how her child will feel later after knowing that it's from a Spermbank, and her father was someone who just wanted to earn money with his semen.

But a woman must be really an abomination and a characteristical ‹ber-Arsehole if she doesn't even manage to get a man.

GruŖ,
Boche

Tabitha
Monday, February 26th, 2007, 06:03 PM
I tend to agree, although I would hope that some men out there do it from a sense of philanthropy and benevolence.

Patrioten
Monday, February 26th, 2007, 06:06 PM
I have an aversion towards these unnatural ways of producing children. In my opinion, a child should only be concieved by one mum and one dad in the way nature intended. Families make up the atomic parts of the nation as well as being the back bone of individuals, and to deconstruct these, the foundation of our socities, is something i am firmly against. It creates rootless individuals who are products of modern society instead of being the newest link in the chain of his bloodline. Adoptions, homosexual as well as heterosexual, inseminations and the likes are all abhorrent creations in my opinion.

∆meric
Monday, February 26th, 2007, 06:09 PM
This could be risky. Some (White) women have given birth to mixraced children after being inseminated with the wrong sperm.

I think not knowing who half of one's heritage is would be hard on a child. Maybe your friend could find a man who also wants a child and maybe the could work out some sort of agreement, a marriage of convience or shared custody.

Why is your friend ordering sperm from the US. Is it considered to be of higher quality ;). I wonder about men who sell their genetic material. I consider them to be professional masturbaters (they are compensated for doing it) & apparently have little regard for their biological offspring.

Tabitha
Monday, February 26th, 2007, 06:16 PM
I wondered about that too, I didn't get round to asking her as she just presented me with "sperm is en route to me this week" 48 hours ago.
I did read an article yesterday though about some states and sperm banks having an open donor programme where the child can apply for full information on his/her father,when they reach 18.

Why is your friend ordering sperm from the US. Is it considered to be of higher quality ;). I wonder about men who sell their genetic material. I consider them to be professional masturbaters (they are compensated for doing it) & apparently have little regard for their biological offspring.

ladybright
Monday, February 26th, 2007, 06:17 PM
I would consider it selfish but not evil. I would try to not let that affect my treatment of her child. It disturbs me but I hesitate to call the creation of any child an abomination. Adoption is a better option in my opinion. There will always be children who need homes. There have always been orphans and children whose biological parents could not or would not care for them.

I am disturbed at artificial insemination, in vetro fertilization, egg farming and other extreme fertility measures. I have always considered adoption to be a noble alterative to natural childbirth. It is now possible for a single woman to adopt. I greatly prefer a two parent household but in some cases a single mother would be a major improvement for the child.

Dutch Dennis
Monday, February 26th, 2007, 06:25 PM
My concern is more about the biological aspect of it all. If a couple weren't able to get pregnant naturally how likely is it that that infertility is hereditary? Is it a good idea to artificially support the pro-creation of naturally infertile genes? If you get what I mean.

If it is purely out of a lack of being able to find a suitable partner it's a different matter. Personally, I don't like the idea. I do consider it selfish and not in the best interests of the child.

Mankind has reached a point in which it can bend the rules of Mother Nature with technology. Do we really want to reinforce that ability by promoting the spreading of genes that depend on such technologies?

Zyklop
Monday, February 26th, 2007, 06:40 PM
My concern is more about the biological aspect of it all. If a couple weren't able to get pregnant naturally how likely is it that that infertility is hereditary? Is it a good idea to artificially support the pro-creation of naturally infertile genes? If you get what I mean.You don't make much sense here, as "infertile genes" don't procreate by definition. Artificial insemination requires a fertile woman and a fertile sperm donor.

Aside from that, I also wonder why infertile couples or single women not simply adopt a child.

∆meric
Monday, February 26th, 2007, 06:42 PM
When couples use artificial insemination from an anonymous donor it is the male who has the fertility problems, so if the problem is hereditary (on the part of the partner of the mother), the child will not inherit the problem. Sometimes artificial insemination is used on women with reproductive health issues using the sperm of their husband/partner. Many times the problem is not hereditary so would not be a genetic concern.

Dutch Dennis
Monday, February 26th, 2007, 06:46 PM
What I mean is, if a couple cannot get pregnant just by having intercourse a reasonable number of times it suggests to me that there may be a problem with one or both of them. But that doesn't necessarily mean that the problem is so severe that no pregnancy is possible at all. That is where IVF treatment comes in. My question was whether or not it is a good idea to support reproduction in such a way and thus furthering genes which rely on technological solutions for pro-creation.

a.squiggles
Tuesday, February 27th, 2007, 02:28 AM
What I mean is, if a couple cannot get pregnant just by having intercourse a reasonable number of times it suggests to me that there may be a problem with one or both of them. But that doesn't necessarily mean that the problem is so severe that no pregnancy is possible at all. That is where IVF treatment comes in. My question was whether or not it is a good idea to support reproduction in such a way and thus furthering genes which rely on technological solutions for pro-creation.

well, she said that her friend is 39, that's pretty old...many couples that undergo fertility treatments do so due to age and other non-genetic factors...in fact, it helps preserve good genes in the gene pool because these older couples are often comprised of career people who simply did not have time for children when they were younger...

to address the main question, i don't see any problem with it. the only down side to it is that any woman who chooses to get this done because she can't find a partner is going to have to make a lot of sacrifices to raise the child alone. but then again, there are plenty of children that grow up without fathers despite having been conceived the old-fashioned way...

in many ways i think this is better than hooking up with some random guy, because from what i've heard of it the donors are screened for hereditary diseases, mental illness, etc...