PDA

View Full Version : Old Dutch speaking areas in Germany

Aragorn
Sunday, February 25th, 2007, 02:23 PM
Old Dutch speaking areas in Germany

Swebe
Sunday, February 25th, 2007, 03:41 PM
Actually the dutch is just a low-German/old Frankish dialect...so don't feel too sad about the lost "areas".;)
The dialect which is spoken there today is not much different from dutch anyway.

Aragorn
Sunday, February 25th, 2007, 05:13 PM
Actually the dutch is just a low-German/old Frankish dialect...so don't feel too sad about the lost "areas".;)
The dialect which is spoken there today is not much different from dutch anyway.

Dont worry....

Iam not sad at all:D

I know very well about the similarities of Dutch and German, I live near the Dutch-German border and personly I prefer a German annexation of the Netherlands then an actually Dutch rule over these German areas.

These areas used Standard Dutch, and the language died not by force of the Prussian or Hanoverian rulers, but because the areas were politically German orientated, economically and religious part of Germany, and the Dutch never seemed to care about these areas.

My opion is that the Duch are a German tribe living outside the Reich, devolped a own standard language derived from German. Dutch are Low-german by native dialect speak, traditional custums and by ethnicy.