PDA

View Full Version : Stirling Castle

Frans_Jozef
Sunday, February 25th, 2007, 10:22 AM
Stirling’s position at the heart of Scotland and its dominance of the surrounding flat countryside has made it very important in Scotland’s history. The volcanic cliff, 350’ high with Stirling Castle - dominates the carseland, and Stirling Bridge was the first place where the Forth could be bridged and was therefore of important strategic importance. There was a fort here in pre-Roman times a stronghold of the Britons, who gave the area its name, which means ‘striving’. It was earlier called Mons Dolorum - place of grief or strife. Another derivation of the name may have been from strath or valley. There are traditionally stories of King Arthur who was a British prince associated with the castle and in medieval times it was believed to be the legendary Camelot. The first clear records are of the castle of Alexander I who died here in 1124 and who had ordered the building of a Royal Chapel on the site. David I created the Royal Burgh in 1125. It was an important port by 1150.

Read further:
http://amg1.net/scotland/stirling.html

Oresai
Sunday, October 19th, 2008, 07:33 PM
I`ve been to Stirling Castle, beautiful place. :) But one (for me) of the most poignant things there was one of Mary Stewart`s gowns. She was a tiny, well formed woman. Hard to imagine someone the same height as me ruling Scotland (or trying to!) ;)