PDA

View Full Version : Zimbabwe inflation nears 1,600%

White_One
Thursday, February 15th, 2007, 11:58 AM
Zimbabwe inflation nears 1,600%

Inflation in Zimbabwe has continued to spiral upwards, leaping to a record annual rate of 1,593.6% in January.

Electricity, gas and other fuels were the items that contributed most to the year-on-year inflation rate, according to the Central Statistics Office.

On a month-on-month basis inflation jumped by 45.4%, compared to the 36.3% rise seen in December.

The country has been hit by an unemployment rate of more than 80% and chronic shortages of food and fuel.

Political tensions are rising as urban workers have been hit by the soaring costs of consumer goods, public transport fares and medical fees.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/6354783.stm

Carl
Thursday, February 15th, 2007, 01:22 PM
Chaos of course. The very antithesis of civilization. Did anyone expect anything different? How long before South Africa begins to fall to pieces in a similar way?

---- or perhaps the Chinese will inject some of their own order into the continent.... but at what price.....

Dutch Dennis
Thursday, February 15th, 2007, 05:30 PM
China has been getting cosy with many African nations for years, whilst the West was clamouring over the spoils of the USSR and meddling in the Middle East.

I have a question though. Would Mugabe have evicted the 'white' farmers wholesale if they weren't 'white' but 'black'? Was the reason for their eviction their race or their economic status and influence?

Carl
Friday, February 16th, 2007, 08:25 PM
I am sure that he resented the fact that many were White -- and a good percentage supporters of the old regime rather than his. Then again , others were supporters of the Black opposition - who were also seriously struggling against Mugabe - many getting themselves slaughtered in the process..
They were excellent and well run farms - he took them and gave them to his supporters . There is now a major food crisis. Can't say I am surprised - but the country used to be an exporter of foodstuffs. What do you see?

Neophyte
Monday, March 5th, 2007, 03:09 PM
What do you see?

The return to normalcy. :D