PDA

View Full Version : Naming Customs in Your Family?

Esther_Helena
Thursday, March 18th, 2004, 07:14 AM
I was just wondering what everyone's families' naming customs were, if you have any. It pains me to know that people name their kids based on how a name sounds. Names have meanings.
On my father's side:
Haven't noticed any. There is a tendency to be named after other family members. My grandmother got her middle name from her mother's sister.
Thomas is also a very popular name on that side. The man who adopted my grandfather's name was Thomas. 3 generations and 5 with Thomas as a name.
Mother's side -first daughters are frequently named after their fathers. ex. Michael - Michelle.

Abby Normal
Thursday, March 18th, 2004, 08:00 AM
Family names, of course. The only real way to name. ;)

Now, please excuse the rant.

What I can't stand are these cutesy, moronic "modern names" that parents give their kids these days. The trend probably started with celebrities and "white trash" (one and the same ;)), but it seems to have spread to middle class subarbanites as well as the occasional society-family. When I worked at a day camp last summer, every other five-year-old was named something along the lines of these:
Jaden
Braxtyn
Baylee
Kaysie
Kayliegh
;(

old aryan
Thursday, March 18th, 2004, 08:03 AM
I was just wondering what everyone's families' naming customs were, if you have any. It pains me to know that people name their kids based on how a name sounds. Names have meanings.
On my father's side:
Haven't noticed any. There is a tendency to be named after other family members. My grandmother got her middle name from her mother's sister.
Thomas is also a very popular name on that side. The man who adopted my grandfather's name was Thomas. 3 generations and 5 with Thomas as a name.
Mother's side -first daughters are frequently named after their fathers. ex. Michael - Michelle.
Most names in my family come from being named after relatives; though I don't always agree with this, it is familiar (some of the names like Marvel :insane , Arvilla:nut , Kermit & Verne:dork should be forgotten!)!:) I hope that I haven't offended anyone..............not my intention.
It seems that some name their children the 'popular' names of the day (i.e. Jason, Trevor, Amanda, Jacqueline, those that I am familiar with in my area), which I don't agree with much.
Popular (?) as a name...just doesn't sit right with me -- its like all of the teenage kids buying 'Dickies' (shirts, pants, jackets)..............does your name have to be all about popular?:| :| :2girls

cosmocreator
Thursday, March 18th, 2004, 08:06 AM
I have a first name and two middle names. My first name, I'm named after my dad, who was named after his uncle (my great uncle). My two middle names are my two grandfathers.

Esther_Helena
Thursday, March 18th, 2004, 08:07 AM
I know what you mean. I can't wait until 60 years later, when we have to deal with Granny Kayleigh. :lol
I also have a problem with over-used middle names. It seems, at least where I live, nearly everyone has one of these middle names. I don't know about the guys' names.
Marie
Nicole
Ann or Anne
Rene or Renee, with the apostrophe on the last e

An example of decent naming, my 5 year old cousin, Madeline "Maddie" Elizabeth. Maddie works for a child's name, and Madeline will be good when she's older.
lol, her name means "high tower - consecrated to God" :lol reminds me of Babel.

cosmocreator
Thursday, March 18th, 2004, 08:11 AM
One of my middle names is common. The other you've probably never heard of.

Esther_Helena
Thursday, March 18th, 2004, 08:16 AM
My name was switched around when I was 4. So I was born M.A. and am now A.M.
I was named after my father (M), and my sorta-maternal grandmother. (A)
*fun with explanation*
My mother was raised by her father's sister's daughter and her husband. I was named after her husband's mother, who was named after her paternal grandmother. With different variations. "Name succession" - full version, -ie ending nickname, -y ending nickname (mine).

I'm actually glad I wasn't named after a biological great/grandmother...
here's why
Sylvia Winifred
Virginia Doris
Virginia Hattie
Lity Mae / May

Not Lit-E, but Lighty... pronounced Lah-tee Mae. (in a major southern hick accent) :suspect

cosmocreator
Thursday, March 18th, 2004, 08:21 AM
I'm sure Virginia is a nice southern name *spoken with a southern accent* ;)

Esther_Helena
Thursday, March 18th, 2004, 08:28 AM
but they didn't use that name.
Virginia Doris was Virginia Hattie's daughter. Doris and Hattie.
I have, well had a greatuncle named JW. Didn't stand for anything. When he went to war (WWII, I think) he had to make up a name. So, people in my family also got totally random names. My greataunt, was named after a plant the farmers were working on when she was born. And her middle name, was whatever popped into her father's head, that sounded good with it.
:lol my ancestors tended to "make their own farmhands"

White_Eagle
Friday, March 19th, 2004, 05:10 PM
In my family there are no particular stringent naming customs. However, the family does try and give strong traditional Polish names. For examole, I love my middle name : Mieczyslaw. :D

Willowsprout
Friday, March 19th, 2004, 06:00 PM
My son and daughter are named after family.

Lilja Anna- Lilja my grandmothers name (we added Anna from a family friend)

Garrett 111- Named after his grandfather and father obviously as he is a third.

My name Shannon apparently was from my godmother

The rest of my family has names that were passed on from my fathers side
my brothers name is Nelson it has been in our family forever . My sisters name Christy was a name my folks liked . My mothers name was Margaret and my fathers is Norman(which he hates ) Anyway that the crap on my families names :)

+Suomut+
Sunday, March 21st, 2004, 04:30 AM
...Lilja Anna- Lilja my grandmothers name (we added Anna from a family friend)Lilja (Lilly) can mean one of four things: 1.) a diminutive of the Biblical Elizabeth; 2.) a nickname for someone with very fair hair and/or skin; 3.) a geographical name, or {and especially in your family's case-->} 4.) 'Lilja' is a Swedish (but surely used in Icelandic too, of course) ornamental (in the sense of a flower, perhaps) name.

Anna is also Biblical and of Greek origin, meaning 'pure/chaste.' Also, in it's Latin form it means 'lamb,' one of Christ's symbols.

...Garrett 111- Named after his grandfather and father obviously as he is a third....Garrett is ultimately a Norman name, although, of course in it's modern form 'English.' The Normans introduced it to England...in two forms: 1.) 'Gerard' which is a Germanic name meaning 'spear' + 'hard/brave/strong'; 2.) 'Gerald' another Germanic name meaning 'spear' + 'rule.'

...My name Shannon apparently was from my godmother...Shannon is, of course, an Anglicized form of the Irish-Gaelic 'Seáin,'which is Biblical simply meaning 'John.' Also, the river in Ireland of the same, precise spelling.

...The rest of my family has names that were passed on from my fathers side
my brothers name is Nelson it has been in our family forever....Nelson is English, of course, but is really a Celto-Germanic compound name meaning 'Niall/Néill (Irish Gaelic thought to mean 'champion')' + 'son' (the meaning is obviouse & derived from the Anglo-Sax. 'sunu,' of the same meaning). From the earliest days of my childhood, and all thru my life MANY of my friends (some of them the BEST! friends I have ever had) are paternal members of the GREAT! Nelson family.

...My sisters name Christy was a name my folks liked...Christy is, obviously, a diminutive of the Greek 'Christos' (annointed one)...typically borne by females. Alright now, I've asked you before if you have a SISTER!!!!! and you DO!!!!!!! Give me her details PLEASE!!! LOL ;)

...My mothers name was Margaret and my fathers is Norman(which he hates )....Margaret comes from the Late Latin 'Margarita(probably, ultimately of Persian origin)' meaning 'pearl.'

...Anyway that the crap on my families names :)THANK YOU for posting this, I LOVE studying/examining names, etc....this kinda' stuff is RIGHT! up my alley! :)

My given/first name is of Hebrew origin (it is associated with God); my middle name is of Greek origin (it is associated with biology); my (adopted) paternal surname is Anglo-Saxon (it is war associated); my (biological) surname is Alemannic {i.e., Swiss/High German} (it is farm associated); my (adopted) mother's maiden name is Swabian {i.e., 'Swabian-Alemannic' German} (it's association/meaning I have never understood); & my (biological) mother's maiden name is of Norman origin (it is associated with a physical characteristic). I've told you before, my sister is named Shannon too! We have so much in common! ;):)