PDA

View Full Version : Vegetarianism, Veganism or Carnivorism!?

Thusnelda
Friday, February 9th, 2007, 07:20 PM
Hello together :),

I´ve searched for a topic about that matter but I haven´t found one. So I´ll start it (If I´ve overseen such a thread...please have mercy with me!*g*).

Okay...I´m curious about the attitude towards meat within the Skadi Community. Do you eat meat? Are you a vegetarian!?? Or do you don´t eat meat and reject even milk-produkts (veganism)?

And why do you like/dislike meat? Because of ethic reasons? Reasons of taste? Or is it ideology - like "straight edge" or something like that!?

Please vote, I wonder about the result! :thumbup

Well, to me: I definately like meat. :) I grew up with very different rustical meat-meals, and they are very tasty. I eat all kind of meat (excluding dogs, cats, horses and so on, of course...self-explaining), but I prefer cow, pork/pig, chicken, deer, etc. Very tasty is chamois, it´s even better than roast venison. *g* Sadly it´s seldom to get and quite expensive.

Even if I´m a carnivore, I don´t want so see how the animals are getting slaughtered.
I attach importance to the kind of meat: Mass products from at least particularly dirty slaughterhouses dont have my primary preference. So I prefer to buy my meat directly from farmers or from ecological retailers. It costs a little bit more, but it´s worth the quality. I just want meat from whose I know "These meat belonged to an animal which was treated fair and lived in an acceptable enviroment until it´s death."

Engelbrecht
Friday, February 9th, 2007, 07:36 PM
There is no doubt that man is made to eat meat. Hunting/gathering is our nature.

As I can see you are from Iceland. Close to you, on Greenland, lives a people that prior to their "westernisation" lived on meat and fish alone. There has been few people on earth beeing more healthy than theese your neighbours, the Inuits.

Stick to your meat - avoid bread, rice, pasta and potatoes! This will keep you lean and healthy!

newenstad
Friday, February 9th, 2007, 07:38 PM
I think there had been the same topic some time ago but the questions is still very interesting because sometimes behaviours change a little bit.

I used to be vegatarian for years and for a short time period I used tb be eat vegan but after some time I realised that it was damaging my health. Like in most of the other things you just have to find the straight H - ah sorry middle... ;)

Now I nearly eat everything what used to be an animal except dogs...

Janus
Friday, February 9th, 2007, 07:40 PM
Do you eat flesh?
Definately not. I prefer my meat when it's already dead. ;)

But meat is a big part of my diet, actually even the main part. I eat it because of two reasons. The first is simply the taste and that there's nothing except dark choclate that I like so much but I also need it to get rid of my hunger. Carbs of any kind hardly drive away my hunger - I need proteins and only eggs would be a bit monotone. I like most kinds of meat. Pork, beef, veal, chicken, duck etc I like everything if it's good so eventually I'm a carnivore for sure.

Fenris-SF
Friday, February 9th, 2007, 07:59 PM
Very tasty is chamois, it´s even better than roast venison. *g* Sadly it´s seldom to get and quite expensive.

What's chamois?

Janus
Friday, February 9th, 2007, 08:03 PM
What's chamois?

Something like a goat.

Thusnelda
Friday, February 9th, 2007, 08:07 PM
What's chamois?
That is a chamois:

http://www.tourismus-bayern.com/oberbayern/berchtesgaden/images/gemse.jpg
http://www.auslaender.at/content_images/gemse.jpg

Illuminatus: We share nearly the same opinion. :) And I´ve corrected my...fauxpas! *g*

Newenstad: I searched for some keywords, but didn´t found anything. But the other thread must be quite old, so its good to have a new one..with a poll! :D

Leofric
Friday, February 9th, 2007, 08:15 PM
I don't avoid meat, but I don't seek it out unless I'm sick or it's really cold or something.

I could never live without dairy products, though.

Incidentally, I know a lot of vegans claim that even honey should not be eaten, since it exploits bees.

For my part, I've never understood a philosophy that treats all animals, even insects, as being more worthy of our care and protection and humanity than any plant. Plants are just as alive as animals, and just deserving of respect. Killing any innocent creature, plant or animal, should be done with respect. So eat bread respectfully; and eat steak respectfully.

newenstad
Friday, February 9th, 2007, 08:27 PM
@Valkyrie: I justed remember that it was one of my first answers i ever had given...
and thats not that long ago...:oldman:

Istigkeit
Friday, February 9th, 2007, 09:06 PM
I eat meat as part of a diet I see as normal, except I live off of pasta, which explains the carbohydrate excess and subsequent lack of energy...anyways!

I have no problem with vegetarianism. Veganism does seem a little silly since you have to go out of your way not to eat/use something that is basically a byproduct of the animal's existence, in nature or captivity. So just buy "organic" or "cruelty-free";).

Patrioten
Friday, February 9th, 2007, 09:18 PM
I am a meat eater and meat is a big part of my diet. My favorite dishes would be large steaks or roasts together with potatoes and gravy. BBQ in the summer is also a favorite. I find chicken to be tasteless (if it isn't seasoned with insane amounts of spices) and i don't particularly like the texture of it either. Pork, beef and, when offered, moose are my top 3 meats. I have never felt that it's wrong to eat meat, i do not know of anyone in my extended family who doesn't eat meat, and i do tend to regard vegetarians and vegans and what more as odd people.

Oski
Monday, February 26th, 2007, 10:07 PM
I try to eat meat and dairy with every meal. I LOVE fish and lamb but dont get to eat it as much as beef and chicken. I try to eat baby spinach salads with hard boiled eggs, bacon and chicken once a day :thumbup

The only meat I dont like is lobster.

sheriff skullface
Monday, February 26th, 2007, 10:49 PM
my mind is very open to both a meat diet and Vegetarianism as good healthy diets for people, although I must say I really don't like Veganism and see it as pretty pointless even, I'd even go as far to say that I suspect a hint of Humanism in the philsophies supporting Veganism

Mac Seafraidh
Monday, February 26th, 2007, 11:00 PM
Vegetarian(eggs and dairy is in my diet)

Wissen ist Macht
Tuesday, February 27th, 2007, 10:06 AM
Vegan on my part... I do not eat meat, nor other animal products - out of respect for the animal world. Savitri Devi's IMPEACHMENT OF MAN had kind of impact on me. :)

Leofric
Wednesday, February 28th, 2007, 02:14 AM
Vegan on my part... I do not eat meat, nor other animal products - out of respect for the animal world. Savitri Devi's IMPEACHMENT OF MAN had kind of impact on me. :)
How do you feel about plants?

Commercial crops tend to be treated far more violently and with much more exploitation than commercial livestock.

I'm not trying to be an ass here or anything: I just hear a lot about people who don't like the abuse of animals and seem to forget about plants. Personally, I think that all living creatures should be treated with respect, and it bothers me to see how some folks treat animals and plants. But at the same time, I recognize that I'm heterotrophic and that I only live because other things die.

Ultimately, I'd like to control the production of all my food and clothing so that I can see to it that everything that dies for my sake dies as well as it can.

Thusnelda
Friday, March 2nd, 2007, 02:50 PM
Not harm in my question, but:

I dont understand this ideology. Animals eat animals, too! Foxes eat birds, cats eat birds, birds eat mouses, birds eat fishes, birds eat other small animals...fishes eat insects, bears eat fishes, wolves eat gooses....even some plants eat animals.

And if the human is an animal (what he actually is), why should we don´t eat the things which we are allowed to eat by evolution since mankind is a race of meat-eaters!? ;) Our body is made to eat products of plants (vegetables, fruits and so on) as well as meat. Our body is not the body of a harnivore (plant-eater), nor a carnivore. We are "allowed" to mix our food with both kinds - plants and meat.

Sissi
Friday, November 28th, 2008, 01:38 AM
I eat meat, but it's not more important to me than other parts of my diet like vegetables, so I couldn't say I'm a "carnivore". I don't support vegetarianism or veganism. There is a food pyramid and we need vitamins and intake from each kind of food category.

http://dietmotion.com/images/food-pyramid.jpg

Hermelin
Friday, November 28th, 2008, 08:46 AM
I love meat, I could never be a vegetarian :D!

I'm not fond at all of chicken though, in fact I'll avoid it if I can.

My favorite meat is beef, and wild animals' meat.

I think I eat a lot of meat, maybe too much :-O:(...

Ulf
Friday, November 28th, 2008, 08:55 AM
I'm not fond at all of chicken though, in fact I'll avoid it if I can...

Any reason in particular? I love chicken, but pork is like a lost love found again.

I love venison. Not too fond of beef, but it gets the job done.

I think I eat a lot of meat, maybe too much :(...

Too much meat? Blasphemy! ;)

Fortis_in_Arduis
Friday, November 28th, 2008, 09:08 AM
I try to follow a diet for good yoga and meditation. Meat, fish, eggs, onion, garlic and mushrooms are forbidden on a strict yoga diet.

I break this diet for convienience (this is Kali Yuga), but I despise myself for it, because I know that it works and has done for about 3000 years or more.

There is one restaurant which fully dedicates itself to saatvic food in London, and it is 'Govinda's' the restaurant of the Radha-Krishna temple on Soho Street, and it is, without any doubt in my mind, the best restaurant in London.

There are other restaurants which will cook saatvic food if you ask them, as they have Jain and observant Brahmin customers, but I do not bother with that. Temple food is the best.

When I break this diet, I become an ordinary lacto-vegetarian who also eats a little bit of egg, but I am not proud of myself for doing this, it is quite a step down for me. I think that if most try being saatvic for a while they would notice the difference when going back. It is not for everyone though and there are Kings and Queens who eat 'pig 'n' onion' for breakfast... ;)

Here are two conflicting opinions:

There is no doubt that man is made to eat meat. Hunting/gathering is our nature.

As I can see you are from Iceland. Close to you, on Greenland, lives a people that prior to their "westernisation" lived on meat and fish alone. There has been few people on earth beeing more healthy than theese your neighbours, the Inuits.

Stick to your meat - avoid bread, rice, pasta and potatoes! This will keep you lean and healthy!

I eat meat, but it's not more important to me than other parts of my diet like vegetables, so I couldn't say I'm a "carnivore". I don't support vegetarianism or veganism. There is a food pyramid and we need vitamins and intake from each kind of food category.

The food pyramid, with a large chunk of carbs at the bottom, was devised by the U.S. Department of Agriculture and I would think twice about it. It was devised with economy not people in mind.

Americans, in particular, have loaded themselves up with carbs for far too long and are now rather obese as a nation. Carbohydrates are also the staple foods of the poorest people in the world. Look at the evidence.

I do not 'stick to my meat', but I avoid loading up on carbs. Emphasis on protein and animal fat... in the form of butter ghee - the purest animal fat there is, intended for *little baby animals*, that is.

I do not think that it is cruel as long as we look after the animals properly. Oh, and I like leather and fur as well, to wear though, not to eat.

I avoid meat because the vedas say that we can do better. Meat is evaluated in ayurveda has having some beneficial qualities, but veg is for success in dharma.

There are also special quidelines on how to consume dairy products to optimise the use of agni (digestive fire).

If I have kids, they will be brought up this way. My last girlfriend had no appreciation for saatvic food whatsoever, and the consequences were unfortunate, to say the least.

For me, it is the most important thing, so when I am looking, I am looking for someone who also prefers saatvic and wants to bring up children that way. Even in the 'yoga community' such individuals are scarce because hatha yoga is taught to people who eat meat and to women now, whereas before it was only Brahmin men. :(

Ulf
Friday, November 28th, 2008, 09:14 AM
I try to follow a diet for good yoga and meditation. Meat, fish, eggs, onion, garlic and mushrooms are forbidden on a strict yoga diet.

Why mushrooms?

Fortis_in_Arduis
Friday, November 28th, 2008, 09:42 AM
Why mushrooms?

No fermented products either. Just dirty mate. ;)

Hermelin
Friday, November 28th, 2008, 10:33 AM
Well, at the highschool I went to, there was chicken at lunchtime so often :-O...

Nonetheless, I've never been fond of chicken; I don't even it consider it to be "real" meat :P... "Real" meat to me is red meat :D.

Any reason in particular? I love chicken, but pork is like a lost love found again.

I love venison. Not too fond of beef, but it gets the job done.

Too much meat? Blasphemy! ;)

Cythraul
Friday, November 28th, 2008, 11:42 AM
my mind is very open to both a meat diet and Vegetarianism as good healthy diets for people, although I must say I really don't like Veganism and see it as pretty pointless even, I'd even go as far to say that I suspect a hint of Humanism in the philsophies supporting Veganism
If vegans are humanists, so are vegetarians. It's the same mindset at differing extremes. Some people go vegetarian for health reasons, but equally, some people go vegan for health reasons (because it can have further health benefits than vegetarianism - zero bad cholesterol). No offence to any of Skadi's vegetarian members, but vegetarianism in an industrial-farming society is often a half-baked attempt at the more complete diet of veganism. Understandable considering that it is more difficult to lead a vegan lifestyle.

How do you feel about plants?

Plants aren't sentient beings. It's as simple as that. I love and respect plants, but we cannot survive on thin air. Veganism is about causing the least amount of suffering possible whilst still enabling yourself to survive as a healthy human being.

Ultimately, I'd like to control the production of all my food and clothing so that I can see to it that everything that dies for my sake dies as well as it can.
Ultimately, that's my cause - that's the reason I'm vegan. I don't necessarily disagree with the act of eating meat or dairy, I just cannot reconcile the factory farming methods with which we do this. You can eat free-range foods, but as soon as you go to a restaurant or eat some unlabelled chocolate there's no way to be sure what you're eating wasn't created through industrial cruelty.

Patrioten
Friday, November 28th, 2008, 12:47 PM
Americans, in particular, have loaded themselves up with carbs for far too long and are now rather obese as a nation. Carbohydrates are also the staple foods of the poorest people in the world. Look at the evidence.

I do not 'stick to my meat', but I avoid loading up on carbs. Emphasis on protein and animal fat... in the form of butter ghee - the purest animal there is, intended for *little baby animals*, that is.Just 70 years ago, in Sweden, meat was a luxury for many. My grandmother was raised on potatoes, salted herring (which was affordable even for peasants), thin bread made from barley, milk, porridge made from barley flour and a typical northern food called palt which is made from a dough of barley flour and potatoes, formed into round clumps that are then boiled (and if available would contain a filling of bits of pork). For Christmas they had meatballs but those were pretty much their only sources of meat. And my grandmother's family had it relatively good compared to many others in the village. Some ate barley-porridge for breakfast, lunch and dinner more or less, another common food was barley thin bread that was allowed to soak in milk (blöta). My grandmother lived in a village up in the north of Sweden and her father was the owner of a hemman, a taxed farm-property.

I cherish my meat and don't take it for granted. Being able to eat a simple dish of meat and potatoes is a real treat.

Thusnelda
Friday, November 28th, 2008, 04:08 PM
I don´t like the discussion about which kind of eating is healthier or not. It may always lead to conflicts, there are nearly epical discussions about that issue on the Internet. We shouldn´t start with this issue here again, please! :) Okay?

I´ve the point of view that everyone should eat what he or she wants, but shouldn´t try to influence others. Honestly I´m always getting a little bit angry if Vegetarians or Vegans want to lecture me about my preference for eating meat products. :thumbdown (May it be of ethical reasons or reasons of health). I´ve always eaten meat, I like many rustical meat-meals (they´re a large part of our local culture and cuisine) and I find them delicious, so I don´t want to be influenced by anyone in my eating habits. Vegetarians/Vegans demand respect for their habit from others, so they should show the same respect to others, too. No one is superior or inferior only because he/she eats meat or not.

Haereticus
Friday, November 28th, 2008, 04:26 PM
I eat no meat, some fish and try to reduce/avoid dairy produce consumption. I was vegan for many years but as my wife isn't and we have travelled around quite a bit in the past we came to this pragmatic compromise.

I can't stand aggressive pushy vegetarians/vegans, it's like a religion to some of these people. Some carnivores can be equally annoying. Personally I believe humans should be, for biological and environmental reasons, primarily vegan, but we are clearly omnivores, not herbivores.

Sigurd
Friday, November 28th, 2008, 04:28 PM
I'd sooner die than stop eating meat. I could go all on about humans were meant to be omnivores and thus meat is a natural part of our diet, and I could also go on that the world would have gone to ruin long ago if all creatures only ate plants, and would be overpopulated by animals and underpopulated by plants - but let's face it I don't base any of my meat-eating on that.

Fact is, I've been pretty much raised on "Meat & Dumplings" if that's what you're going to have. In my local cuisine it is almost impossible to find a "vegetarian" dish, unless you're talking about eating whole plates of Sauerkraut, really. Well, and all the traditional "pasta" dishes such as Schlutzkrapfen or Kasnock'n or even Kasspatzl'n.

Anyway, I just love my good old rare steak at the end of a long day, it's easily the best thing since sliced bread. Like Valkyrie, I've always been rather fond of them rustical meat-based dishes and I could not imagine life without them. I've tried tofu and the likes, but it just doesn't compare to the real experience.

If I'd no longer be able to eat a good steak or a nice dish of game with a good accompaniment, such as Hirschragout mit Semmelknödel, that'd just take all the fun out of life.

Meat, meat and meat for the win! :D

Loki
Friday, November 28th, 2008, 04:32 PM
Carnivore here. I love beef steak, and adore fried bacon for breakfast. Less of a poultry fan, although a chicken sandwich can be nice once in a while.

Fortis_in_Arduis
Friday, November 28th, 2008, 04:52 PM
I´ve the point of view that everyone should it what he or she wants, but shouldn´t try to influence others. Honestly I´m always getting a little bit angry if Vegetarians or Vegans want to lecture me about my preference for eating meat products. :thumbdown (May it be of ethical reasons or reasons of health). I´ve always eaten meat, I like many rustical meat-meals (they´re a large part of our local culture and cuisine) and I find them delicious, so I don´t want to be influenced by anyone in my eating habits. Vegetarians/Vegans demand respect for their habit from others, so they should show the same respect to others, too. No one is superior or inferior only because he/she eats meat or not.

Well, we have all seen how beautiful you look, so you look very well on your meat eating diet.

In fact, I am astounded at how well people who do eat meat are, because to me (and perhaps more significantly, for me) it is a dirty habit, as meat is imbued with the qualities of tamas.

Culture is a weapon, and nevermore so than food culture.

If I were to say to you, 'meat is unhealthy', what I would be doing is saying 'my culture is better than yours, my culture predominates here, and you need to adapt or move away'.

I hope that I do not do this, but there is an element of snobbery and also reverse snobbery in the way people talk about food:

See Patrioten's post where he revels in his appreciation for peasant food, including potato which is not even native to Europe. What could this be other than his 'cocking a snook' at the 'foodie' food snobs?

Food is one of our most emotive issues.

The food she eats is a very big concern for me in choosing a partner. If she does not already eat saatvic food or want to switch to saatvic food and join me in that, then she is not one of mine, and I am wasting my time. That is not, however, the full picture.

Despite educating her in culinary matters and her developing 'the higher taste' for saatvic food, the fundamental problem with the last one was her refusal to acknowledge the spiritual importance of eating saatvic food, and she certainly paid for it, I am not too ashamed to say.

Kriemhild
Saturday, February 7th, 2009, 11:04 PM
I consider myself a selective vegetarian. Common meats in America are extremely processed and the animals are raised horribly, in the worst conditions (unless they are "free-range", but even those restrictions are sometimes bypassed or even ignored). So, if I eat meat, at the least it must have organic or free-range labels. I support animal rights to a degree but also believe that meat-eating is totally natural and normal. I usually eat meat on holidays like Jól and Midsummer, but rarely during the rest of the year.

heloise
Friday, May 1st, 2009, 06:49 AM
Hi, I am strictly a carnivore :)

I mainly eat a diet consisting primarily of meat and have noticed that I am much leaner that way. I no longer eat carbs ie: bread, potatoes, rice, pasta, sugar, or junk foods etc...

Freigeistige
Friday, May 1st, 2009, 09:17 PM
Meat is an essential part of my diet. I usually prefer to have meat, starch, and a fruit or vegetable on my plate at every meal. For example, at breakfast I will have eggs, ham, toast, and fruit; for supper, I will have pork, mashed potatoes, and green beans. This is almost always the structure of any meal I cook for more than just myself, as I feel it is what's healthy.

Telluride
Friday, May 1st, 2009, 09:36 PM
There are few things I love more than steak and hamburgers, but I try to eat a balanced diet for health reasons.

flemish
Saturday, May 2nd, 2009, 06:31 AM
I would call myself semi-vegetarian. I don't eat beef, pork, or chicken, but I do eat some fish, eggs, and a little dairy. Vegetarianism is very likely the healthiest and most natural diet for members of our species. Other primates are, for the most part, vegetarian. Another thing, we can get all of the nutrients we need from plants, so there's no need to slaughter other animals for food.
There are nutritionists who believe too much animal protein in your diet can lead to arthritis, and osteoporosis. Animals bred for food are also treated with hormones which end up in your system once you consume them. This can lead to female cancers, and deformities in male infants; as well as sterility. Meat is bad for you.
Most people don't know that we share a great number of genes with the animals we keep as livestock. I could be mistaken, but I've heard that pigs are the closest relatives of primates(our family). That makes meat/pork consumption just plain gross.
The pathogens which people contract, and get sick and die from very often come from animals kept for food. Our genetic similarity to these other species makes it much easier for their viruses to infect us. We could very easily stop many of the world's problems, like starvation, and disease, by going vegetarian. The food and water given to livestock could go to people instead, if people didn't eat meat. In fact, as far as I'm concerned, if you are someone who does eat meat, and you end up dangerously obese, or with other health problems due to your diet, you have nothing to complain about.

Runesinger
Tuesday, May 5th, 2009, 02:31 AM
Over time, I developed a lectin-allergy, so I'm allergic to wheat, rye, oats, barley (bye-bye beer :~( ), peas, beans, cashews and peanuts. That pretty much cuts out most of the vegetarian options, except nuts and milk (thank the gods I'm not lactose-intolerant).

I basically follow the Paleolithic Diet (http://www.earth360.com/diet_paleodiet_balzer.html), which consists of meats, shellfish, and eggs as the primary source of food. Fruits and vegetables are the secondary source of food, with nuts, seeds, berries, and honey for snacks and sweets. I also add milk products. The diet experts are divided on whether it was part of the evolution diet, and I don't want osteoporosis

It's the diet that humans evolved on. The main food groups we eat today were only incorporated into our diet for the last 10,000-15,000 years. I have to eat this way, but it is a very healthy diet for anyone, go get out there and start hunting and gathering. :D

This is the Paleolithic Food "Pyramid."

http://dietsexplained.files.wordpress.com/2008/05/pyramid.jpg

triedandtru
Tuesday, May 5th, 2009, 04:09 AM
I think a good balance of vegetables and fruit, dairy, and meat lead to a healthy body. So I would say... Vegetarian/Carnivorism?

Oski
Tuesday, May 5th, 2009, 06:54 PM
Hi, I am strictly a carnivore :)

I mainly eat a diet consisting primarily of meat and have noticed that I am much leaner that way. I no longer eat carbs ie: bread, potatoes, rice, pasta, sugar, or junk foods etc...

I've been low carb for 1 year and 5 months now and I am 30 lbs lighter and healthier because of it.

Atkins(ish) :thumbup

Over time, I developed a lectin-allergy, so I'm allergic to wheat, rye, oats, barley (bye-bye beer :~( ), peas, beans, cashews and peanuts. That pretty much cuts out most of the vegetarian options, except nuts and milk (thank the gods I'm not lactose-intolerant).

I basically follow the Paleolithic Diet (http://www.earth360.com/diet_paleodiet_balzer.html), which consists of meats, shellfish, and eggs as the primary source of food. Fruits and vegetables are the secondary source of food, with nuts, seeds, berries, and honey for snacks and sweets. I also add milk products. The diet experts are divided on whether it was part of the evolution diet, and I don't want osteoporosis

It's the diet that humans evolved on. The main food groups we eat today were only incorporated into our diet for the last 10,000-15,000 years. I have to eat this way, but it is a very healthy diet for anyone, go get out there and start hunting and gathering. :D

This is the Paleolithic Food "Pyramid."

http://dietsexplained.files.wordpress.com/2008/05/pyramid.jpg

This looks like my food pyramid, minus the watermelon :D

Aryianut
Tuesday, May 5th, 2009, 07:12 PM
Definitely a carnivore here. Sometimes, I feel a little guilty about eating the poor animals, as I am a big sappy animal lover, but I can't seem to give it up.

It seems to me that the meat eaters actually look healthier than most vegetarians. Meat eaters have color in their cheeks, whereas most vegetarians often look pale. I always fed my children a meat, a starch, and a vegetable several nights a week and they are all very healthy adults.

Most of the time, if I crave a certain food, it is meat. Some doctors say that the body quite often craves what it needs, so maybe we are truly supposed to be meat eaters. Seems natural to me.

Even if I am rationalizing here, I'm gonna keep doing it. Just don't ask me to meet the cow...

Stimme
Sunday, June 14th, 2009, 12:17 PM
I love meat! No vegetables or fruits can keep up with a good meat dish. I could live without pig though but I need my chicken every now and then..!

Zimobog
Sunday, June 14th, 2009, 08:20 PM
I will eat any kind of flesh, fish, or fowl. I like game better than store bought.

I normally say "no" to dog and cat, but I would definately like to eat lynx chops (that's cat) and someone I know told me coyote tastes just like bar-b-que sauce.

Veggies are best as a colorful garnish, but I like pickles or relishes as much as fresh.

Any kind of pickle (meat or veg, eggs, snouts, feet, pepper, carrot, watermelon, fiddlehead, okra, onion, cabbage, tomato, squash.. you name it) and I will try it pickled. :thumbup I once roofed a shed in exchange for a flat case of home-made Hot Normandy (califlower, broccoli, carrots, onions, garlic, and habenjaro peppers).

Been laying off the potatoes last few months.

Vegatarianism is odd, but I say eat what you want and so will I.

Víðálfr
Sunday, June 14th, 2009, 10:36 PM
I used to eat meat, in a normal way, probably, but I don't eat too much of it now. I would only eat ecological meat, from animals who were feed with natural products, and raised in a proper way. The reasons are obvious, I guess, as I try to eat as natural as possible, for my general health. ;)

I would prefer chicken or wild animals, but maybe not too often. I discovered that there are a lot of tasty plants, which can be cooked in a reasonable way, and which can replace very well meat (but not it's taste and feeling, of course).

And if fish counts as meat, then I love fish!!! The salmon is my favourite!

I also eat milk-products, from which the sheep cheese is my favourite, yummy! :dinner: (especially a type of sheep cheese made in Transylvania, locally called Caş; maybe there's something similar in other regions, I have no idea) I find it strange that, during the last period of time, I usually didn't/don't have tolerance for cow milk...

Honey... I'm addicted to honey! At least, to acacia and forest honey, as I don't like too much other types. I think vegans exaggerate a bit, or a bit too much. It's something natural to benefit from the nature and to use the products it offers us.

As someone already said before, we should eat with respect, whatever we eat, plants, animals or products derived from animals.

Stygian Cellarius
Sunday, June 14th, 2009, 11:14 PM
I'm too much of a forest lover to eat plants. Those poor plants were just snatched right from their homes in the soil and gobbled up. A macabre sight indeed.

Just kidding.

On a serious note, I do love meats. I love my New York Strip! I Love my ham and bacon. I love my turkey and chicken. I love my catfish, steamed crabs and shrimp. Catfish being the best tasting fish IMO. I have been eating more veggies though. I love broccoli and every kind of bean. Potato's are good with every dish.

I want to get more into insectivorism, I have eaten insects before and they are very tasty and nutritious. I have craved them ever since I gave them a try, but unfortunately, they are hard to come by. I may get some crickets from the pet store and mix them in with stir fry soon. :D

Hipriformkatus
Monday, June 15th, 2009, 03:45 AM
i went vegetarian for 5 or 6 years and felt great. i now occasionally eat fish or chicken (i craved both during my renunciation) but no mammals. legumes esp. lentils are excellent nutritional sources. in the usa so many folks don't want to know the circumstances which delivers their steak or pork chop to their plates. talk the talk, walk the walk. i feel school children should tour slaughter houses as school trips. why be ignorant of the source for one of our fundamental needs:food.

Angantyr
Monday, June 15th, 2009, 04:30 AM
Everything in moderation. We should eat meat, vegetables, grain and so forth. Our dentition clearly indicates that we are omnivores. We should follow the rule of nature.

Runesinger
Thursday, June 18th, 2009, 03:09 AM
I will eat any kind of flesh, fish, or fowl. I like game better than store bought.

I normally say "no" to dog and cat, but I would definately like to eat lynx chops (that's cat) and someone I know told me coyote tastes just like bar-b-que sauce.

Veggies are best as a colorful garnish, but I like pickles or relishes as much as fresh.

Any kind of pickle (meat or veg, eggs, snouts, feet, pepper, carrot, watermelon, fiddlehead, okra, onion, cabbage, tomato, squash.. you name it) and I will try it pickled. :thumbup I once roofed a shed in exchange for a flat case of home-made Hot Normandy (califlower, broccoli, carrots, onions, garlic, and habenjaro peppers).

Been laying off the potatoes last few months.

Vegatarianism is odd, but I say eat what you want and so will I.

I've heard that dog meat is pretty good, so coyote should probably be pretty good too.

I've never heard of eating the big cats. How does it taste? (like chicken?)

xcrawlxawayx
Thursday, June 18th, 2009, 03:54 AM
I have been a Vegetarian for three years now and personally for me , it was the best choice I ever made. I feel a lot healthier and I lost about 40lbs, I am not a preachy one that cringes when my friends bite into a cheeseburger. I love animals and compassion was part of the reason I chose the life style but I never push my views on other people, only my immediate family members are aware I am Vegetarian. I am on the stricter side but not completely Vegan.It's a choice it has it's advantages and disadvantages like anything else.;)..I come from a family of meateaters too..like they love their steak with the raw flavor and the blood running out of it.

triedandtru
Thursday, June 18th, 2009, 12:47 PM
I come from a family of meateaters too..like they love their steak with the raw flavor and the blood running out of it.

I have to agree with them on this one. ; P

xcrawlxawayx
Thursday, June 18th, 2009, 12:52 PM
I have to agree with them on this one. ; P

Like I have to cook their steak for them..and They have it in the skillet for like 10 seconds *exgaggeration*..I'm like It might as well still be mooing in the pastures..less cooking time for me I guess.

Siebenbürgerin
Thursday, June 18th, 2009, 01:15 PM
Hmm, that reminds me of a film I saw, where a woman was cooking and she asked the kitchen lady to bring her chicken meat, but to make sure it's fresh. The kitchen lady brought her a live hen, and she said what's this? The woman said, you asked it to be fresh. Yes, but not that fresh. :P

I eat meat but I'm not a "carnivore".

xcrawlxawayx
Thursday, June 18th, 2009, 01:56 PM
Hmm, that reminds me of a film I saw, where a woman was cooking and she asked the kitchen lady to bring her chicken meat, but to make sure it's fresh. The kitchen lady brought her a live hen, and she said what's this? The woman said, you asked it to be fresh. Yes, but not that fresh. :P

I eat meat but I'm not a "carnivore".

I know what u mean, meat is in your diet..but it isn't extremely appealing to eat a half rack of ribs or tripe..or any other exotic stuff that my fellow "carnivores" love :-)

Thusnelda
Thursday, June 18th, 2009, 05:57 PM
a half rack of ribs or tripe..or any other exotic stuff that my fellow "carnivores" love :-)
No problem, bring it over to me! :D *g*

Cail
Wednesday, July 15th, 2009, 07:06 PM
I love meat :). There\'s no better food than a good properly roasted stake :D.

Aswa
Sunday, October 25th, 2009, 12:25 PM
I spent most of my life, vegetarian or vegan, as a child had eaten very little meat, but was still almost ridiculously healthy.
Even while I was past, there was no deficiency in my blood.

I think there are - primarily genetic in origin - an individually different, proper nutrition for every person and the typical generalizations of what food is good or bad, which makes fat or thin, does not lead to health.
If you had the good fortune of his parents were being properly fed and has been trained to listen to the needs of his own body, you can rely mostly silent on its natural appetite.

Today, I eat very rare animal, whenever I feel hungry on it, I'll buy myself a good local organic meat in order to be able to enjoy it properly.
Since I live near the coast, I have no difficulty in coming to fresh fish.

Resist
Sunday, October 25th, 2009, 10:58 PM
I love meat and I don't feel guilty for eating it. Eating meat doesn't mean you will get fat, if you exercise and eat like a normal person would.

baroqueorgan
Friday, December 4th, 2009, 02:18 AM
I have to say, I love meat, haha. I can sort of imagine vegetarianism but veganism takes it too far - no dairy AND no meat makes fulfilling nutritional requirements difficult.

Ulfvaldr
Friday, December 4th, 2009, 09:15 AM
I am a omnivore like we where meant to be.

Aswa
Friday, December 25th, 2009, 01:52 PM
Hey, I want to say that my previous entry was not made by me in this way.
It sounds horrible!!
I posted it in German in the German Meat thread, and I'm frankly a little irritated at finding it here, being translated so poorly.

If any of the admins still has my original entry, I would be thankful for it be moved to the German thread here. http://forums.skadi.net/showthread.php?t=97495&page=5

Frau Holle
Friday, December 25th, 2009, 02:07 PM
I eat meat but I'm not a "carnivore". I eat just about everything.

Mother Earth
Monday, January 11th, 2010, 05:17 AM
I don't eat meat. I used to be a vegetarian, but now I'm a vegan. The reason is that I don't like killing animals for the sake of consumerism. I realized using them for milk or eggs isn't any better, because it's a form of consumerism and abuse too. Sure, some farmers treat their animals well, but I don't want to be a participant in the process of killing animals for consumerism.

Víðálfr
Tuesday, March 16th, 2010, 07:44 PM
Hmm, that reminds me of a film I saw, where a woman was cooking and she asked the kitchen lady to bring her chicken meat, but to make sure it's fresh. The kitchen lady brought her a live hen, and she said what's this? The woman said, you asked it to be fresh. Yes, but not that fresh.

That's a good one! :D

By the way, I quited eating meet, any type of it. Though, I like the taste of salmon, but living by the sea made me think more about it. I guess I'm going to quit eating fish, too, this time for other type of reasons (ethical, maybe?). I rediscovered my childhood passion for The Little Mermaid, and deepened my love for marine life.

my previous entry was not made by me in this way.
I posted it in German [...] German thread here. http://forums.skadi.net/showthread.php?t=97495&page=5
I couldn't find your entry in German, so I will refer to the automatic English translation.

an individually different, proper nutrition for every person and the typical generalizations of what food is good or bad [...] to listen to the needs of his own body
If this was the main idea of your entry, well, I have to say that I agree. I think everyone should listen to his/her own body when it comes to nutrition, and this sense should be better cultivated since childhood. Because children are more sensitive to what is good or bad for their body. Usually parents just give their children to eat what they think their children should eat, regardless if the children refuse the food or not. Being educated to eat everything you eat just because "it should be so" leads further to hardly be able to know what really is or not good for you.

Regardless how I was educated to eat, due to different norms, now I listen more to my body and I know better what's good or not for me.

I think the same goes with medicine. And that's why I disapprove conventional medicine / allopathic medicine, and stick more to the traditional / naturist ways, but that's another issue.

Anyway, there's a very good ancient saying, which I really appreciate: 'Let food be your medicine and medicine be your food.' (Hippocrates)

Stimme
Wednesday, March 17th, 2010, 01:40 PM
I thought about becoming vegetarian every now and then but it's incompatible with my way of life: I eat meat every day. If I'm feeling a bit hungry, i make my breads with a bit of animal on top of it. And I couldn't think of an alternative for I do not like the taste of cheese at all. And I can't live on apples and salads alone. :D

Really, how do you manage to not eat meat without starving?

Víðálfr
Wednesday, March 17th, 2010, 11:50 PM
It comes naturally. :)

I guess it deals not only with habits and the way you are used to it, but also with the way you view things. If you're thinking that you're going to starve without eating meat, than you'll never be able to not eat meat. Unless something undesirable happens, like health problems with special demands (and here, it still depends on the doctor and the type of medicine you chose).

I've been eating meat, too, in pretty huge quantities, but it just came naturally that slowly I changed my diet. Events, how I felt like, what I've seen, what I've heard, what I've read, brought me, naturally, here. Now I can't even stand the thought of eating meat again.

And it's not only apples and salads, don't forget about a lot of cereals, nuts, seeds, and so on. After quiting eating meat, I started to discover a lot of other delicious foods. :D

Æğele Wiğercwida
Thursday, September 2nd, 2010, 05:53 AM
I want to start a semi-vegetarian diet. I am not opposed to killing animals, but industrial scale farming is bad for the environment and produces low quality meat. Also, making meals out of fresh vegetables has got to be more healthy and more balanced.

So maybe I will buy meat only once a week, from a local source and it must be free-range and organic.

Skadi best get ready for a helluva lot of Vegetarian threads in the food&drink sub-forum:thumbup

Sindig_og_stoisk
Thursday, September 2nd, 2010, 11:20 AM
I remain omnivorious but I still consider vegetarianism every once in a while. It seems to me that for each passing day the world gets more good reasons for a vegetarian or semi-vegetarian diet( some of which are already mentioned)

1) The medical consensus now hold the opinion that you can easily have a healthy and nutritious diet while remaining a vegetarian.
2) Industrial farming involves a great deal of animal cruelty.
3) Industrial farming fills the meat with antibiotics and other medicin, causing great harm to the meat-eater.
4) Meat production requires a far greater consumption of ressources and energy then the production of an equivalent amount of vegetarian food sources, contributing to global warming and our dependence on oil from foreing sources.

Despite all these arguments, I remain a meat-eater. I simply lack the discipline for a vegetarian diet and the stigma of "hippie-wuss" still intimidates me.

I do, however, try to eat a few vegetarian dinners a week, driving me girlfriend crazy:D

heksemester
Thursday, September 2nd, 2010, 11:52 AM
I like meat, but i also like my vegetables and I don´t think I could live primarily on one or the other. The key for me is a variable diet, else i just keep eating the same every day, every week...

But lately I have almost stopped consuming pork, due to the reason that the general quality is just unsatisfying and in many cases downright disgusting..

And I never eat fish! never!

These days, it is very expensive and hard to get your hands on some good quality meat products, the generic consumer standards available is simply not worth eating. I go to the butcher when i want something nice, pay for what its worth and get some good meat, which in the long run results in me eating less meat, cause its expensive (and a long trip)

Reshki
Friday, September 3rd, 2010, 04:52 PM
4) Meat production requires a far greater consumption of ressources and energy then the production of an equivalent amount of vegetarian food sources, contributing to global warming and our dependence on oil from foreing sources.

This only holds true for animals that are fed a grain-only diet. Most food animals are meant to eat grass, not grain, and a grain only diet is actually bad for them.

Erbe
Friday, September 3rd, 2010, 06:18 PM
I've been eating selective a time. Eating meals with porc meat and salami from porc. But now i terminated this, and i am eating chicken/beef meat, salad of all kinds of vegetables and fruits. I used to drink the products of the Coca Cola company but i recognized they don't do me good and now i only drink 100% fruit juice or mineral water.

Mc Donalds products i avoid as much as it's possible. Döner, too. I am with asian food, it's in my opinion healthy but only 1 day a week, because a european stomach can't elaborate it all the time. But asian food is good.

Cliodhna
Tuesday, September 7th, 2010, 12:23 AM
I eat meat. Although there was a time when I was a vegetarian. I actually lost a lot of weight when I wasn't eating meat and felt horrible once I started eating it again but I was with a man who only ate meat and potatoes. Call it dumb love. Now I am not with him and I don't eat meat as often, and I am considering going back to being a vegetarian. I love vegetables and fruits, nuts and legumes, and also dairy products. Meat seems harder to digest for me. Although, I won't lie, a nice steak occasional sure hits the spot.... ;)

Ocko
Sunday, October 3rd, 2010, 02:04 AM
The deer season started and I got a deer tag. I know already the buck I am after.

Also wild hogs appeared in our area, most often a mix between european wischldwein and feral pigs. The season is open all year.

Good wild hog recipies are welcome.

Tannhauser
Sunday, October 3rd, 2010, 09:29 PM
I LOVE meat, I dream about meat. Serioulsy though meat and the consumption of protein is a big part of my body building lifestyle. I try to eat a balanced diet consisting largely of lean meats, eggs, fresh veggies and some fruit. I keep my consumption of simple carbs and dairy to a minumum.

Landers
Sunday, October 3rd, 2010, 10:36 PM
vegan, and only organic. I agree with this (http://forums.skadi.net/showpost.php?p=1027492&postcount=16) post.

I also agree with Wheat Eaters or Meat Eaters? (http://www.viva.org.uk/guides/Wheat-Eaters-guide.pdf)

wittwer
Sunday, October 3rd, 2010, 10:45 PM
If the good Lord and my genes had intended me too be a vegetarian, they wouldn't have put "Canines" in my mouth. And on the other hand, if the good Lord or my genes had intended me too be strictly a carnivore, they wouldn't have put molars in my mouth.

Let's face it we were meant to be ominivores. So bring on the meat, the vegetables, the grains, the fruits and the seeds and nuts!

BTW, don't get to near my mouth while I'm feeding, you might end as part of the meal... :D

Ardito
Sunday, November 28th, 2010, 02:18 AM
I avoid meat, as the only reason I'm able to afford to eat it on a regular basis is the absurd subsidies given to meat farmers. I have, however, no moral problem whatever with the eating of meat.

NatRev
Sunday, November 28th, 2010, 03:24 PM
I haven't eaten meat in 20 years and never will.

I eat only free range eggs and organic dairy produce as I've seen on TV some of the conditions both hens and cows are put in. :~(

We don't treat our most violent rapists and murderers as bad as they're treated so I only buy from humane farmed animals.

http://goingbrightgreen.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/battery-hens.jpg

Ethically I simply don't like the idea of consuming a living, thinking creature and that this animal had to die for my selfishness when I can live quite happily off fruit and vegetables.

Also I'm very concerned about the amount of land needed to sustain a meat based diet and how those resources could better be used to help our environment and society in general.

“A 'civilization' that makes such a ridiculous fuss about alleged 'war crimes' - acts of violence against the actual or potential enemies of one's cause - and tolerates slaughterhouses and vivisection laboratories, and circuses and the fur industry (infliction of pain upon creatures that can never be for or against any cause), does not deserve to live.”

SAVITRI DEVI

Her words are like gold... precious and untarnished!

Aishiri
Saturday, January 8th, 2011, 01:42 PM
I'm a carnivore. I loooove meat. I can't eat most dishes without it.

bæny
Wednesday, January 12th, 2011, 08:07 PM
When I'm living on my own, I only tend to eat meat once a fortnight, meats like chicken or gammon, and sometimes beef.
I don't eat a lot of meat though, I don't like meat that looks very untidy, as if it's just been hacked off. And plus increasingly there is Halal meat, I don't know why but I feel quite sympathetic towards animals, so I think its wrong.
When I'm at home I eat whatever my mum gives me (as long as its not lamb or duck) because I know it's all locally sourced.
+
Lincolnshire sausages are practically irresistible.

Wychaert
Wednesday, January 12th, 2011, 09:04 PM
I eat meat, almost any meat.
Horse, beef, pork, chicken and I love wild meat like deer or hare!
I dont like sheep or goat. those are unclean creatures,:D

Elessar
Wednesday, January 12th, 2011, 09:11 PM
I would love to be a vegetarian, and I've tried, but in our society meat is so convenient.
I shy away from cow meat, it's gotten more and more unappetizing over the years. (I hate steak) Perhaps one of these days I'll become Vegetarian for good.

There are only positive aspects of being a vegetarian.

This is what I think of when I think of "Carnivores"
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs015.snc3/12303_375194947983_753827983_3756978_342 6388_n.jpg

Zimobog
Saturday, January 15th, 2011, 05:43 AM
The only carnivore I see there is a little dog.

Seriously, posting a photo of some fat people isn't much of an arguement for not eating meat.

Elessar
Saturday, January 15th, 2011, 06:07 AM
The only carnivore I see there is a little dog.

Seriously, posting a photo of some fat people isn't much of an arguement for not eating meat.

I'm not saying only fat-people are carnivores or carnivores will end up to be morbidly obese. What I'm implying is that obese people as such are usually "meat and potato" kind of families who frown upon physical exertion and sit in front of the television all day, who identify themselves as being PETA (People for the Eating of Tasty Animals) and cringe at the sight of broccoli not doused in cheese.

Perhaps I should post a photo of them paying a visit to the produce section.

...if it existed.

There's a reason why the meats are where they are on the Food Pyramid
http://keep3.sjfc.edu/students/aei1264/e-port/unitplan/pyramid.gif

Again, I'm not implying meat eaters are fat pigs.

Ælfrun
Saturday, January 15th, 2011, 06:44 AM
I think that being a Vegetarian/ Vegan is very unhealthy. Our bodies really need the proteins and fat from animals and fish to stay healthy as opposed to the carbs that most Vegetarians eat. I meet a lot of Vegetarians and Vegans in my store and they all look sick and are losing their hair and are either anorexic looking or really obese. Human bodies were designed to utilize meat ^^. If we look at most Herbavores in the animal kingdom, they are fat and sluggish. Most of the Omnivores and Carnivores are lean and in good shape. eg a lion and a cow. It is also really important to eat veggies and fruits as well as meat to maintain a balanced diet. There are good alternatives out there as opposed to red meat, but tofu and soy is one of the worst things you can eat.

Zimobog
Saturday, January 15th, 2011, 10:24 PM
I know an obese woman who eats a lot of "healthy" foods; salads, nuts, yogurts, etc. but is really just too lazy/busy to cook proper food so for dinner she would eat fast food purchased on the way home from her job. I watched her gain 150 lbs over about ten years. She ate beef from the supermarket but no fish or game meat at all (which is really strange for Alaska). In fact she looked down on hunters and fishers as barbaric as meat could be bought ate the supermarket.

The doctor just put her on a new diet with no wheat gluten, no corn, no corn oil, no pork, no beef, no canola oil. She is only allowed to eat moose, caribou, or wild caught fish. She has to take 1000 mil. of fish oil a day.

I think that it is a lifestyle of over-modified food (veg or meat) that leads to obesity as well as an over-reliance on quick meals. If someone grabs a donut in the morning instead of taking three minutes to make oatmeal they will end up obese. Even with butter and jam the oatmeal will still be better for you.

Wynterwade
Saturday, January 15th, 2011, 10:41 PM
I can't bring myself to eat meat. It's disgusting. I take B12 vitamins, eat protein bars, crunchy peanut butter and protein shakes instead. (Though I'll admit- if there was a meat plant- I'd eat it)

I meet a lot of Vegetarians and Vegans in my store and they all look sick and are losing their hair and are either anorexic looking or really obese.
lol,
I exercise 6 times a week. Upper body weights M W and F. Leg weights Tues and Thurs. I also run, M, W, Friday, Sat and Sunday. (Though I do change my workout quite a bit but that's about what I do on an average week) So not every Vegan/Vegetarian is like that example. And there's no way I'd ever go bald.

I've actually never met another Vegetarian or Vegan before. And I wouldn't expect to here in Texas as a male college student. Maybe your example holds for the average Vegetarian/Vegan.

Ragnar Lodbrok
Saturday, January 15th, 2011, 11:29 PM
I think that being a Vegetarian/ Vegan is very unhealthy. Our bodies really need the proteins and fat from animals and fish to stay healthy as opposed to the carbs that most Vegetarians eat. I meet a lot of Vegetarians and Vegans in my store and they all look sick and are losing their hair and are either anorexic looking or really obese. Human bodies were designed to utilize meat ^^. If we look at most Herbavores in the animal kingdom, they are fat and sluggish. Most of the Omnivores and Carnivores are lean and in good shape. eg a lion and a cow. It is also really important to eat veggies and fruits as well as meat to maintain a balanced diet. There are good alternatives out there as opposed to red meat, but tofu and soy is one of the worst things you can eat.

You can still eat a vegetarian diet and remain very healthy. Proteins and fats can be filled in by just about anything not just poultry and meat(technically fish is not considered meat and can be included.) Its the carnivorist and vegan diets that are self destructive and unhealthy. Getting rid of milk and eggs due to moral opposition to imagined "animal slavery" is a humanistic idea thought up of by lunatics and has actually caused a child or two's death in the past as well as abuse of dogs and cats.

Wynterwade
Saturday, January 15th, 2011, 11:37 PM
Getting rid of milk and eggs due to moral opposition to imagined "animal slavery" is a humanistic idea thought up of by lunatics

Nope, the egg laying factories are totally barbaric. They have thousands of animals spending their entire life in small cages, and when they don't produce enough- they kill them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJ--faib7to

@#$% EGGS

The videos on the conditions of egg laying animals is JUST AS BAD! God dammit.

Ardito
Saturday, January 15th, 2011, 11:47 PM
(technically fish is not considered meat and can be included.)

It's the flesh of an animal. Of course it's meat. Don't be silly.

Ælfrun
Sunday, January 16th, 2011, 02:15 AM
You can still eat a vegetarian diet and remain very healthy. Proteins and fats can be filled in by just about anything not just poultry and meat(technically fish is not considered meat and can be included.) Its the carnivorist and vegan diets that are self destructive and unhealthy. Getting rid of milk and eggs due to moral opposition to imagined "animal slavery" is a humanistic idea thought up of by lunatics and has actually caused a child or two's death in the past as well as abuse of dogs and cats.

That is correct if you know which supplements you need, unfortunately a lot of people that I see do it an unhealthy way and stick to carbs. Red meat all of the time is bad for you as well and can cause gout and other illnesses.

Ælfrun
Sunday, January 16th, 2011, 02:19 AM
I can't bring myself to eat meat. It's disgusting. I take B12 vitamins, eat protein bars, crunchy peanut butter and protein shakes instead. (Though I'll admit- if there was a meat plant- I'd eat it)

lol,
I exercise 6 times a week. Upper body weights M W and F. Leg weights Tues and Thurs. I also run, M, W, Friday, Sat and Sunday. (Though I do change my workout quite a bit but that's about what I do on an average week) So not every Vegan/Vegetarian is like that example. And there's no way I'd ever go bald.

I've actually never met another Vegetarian or Vegan before. And I wouldn't expect to here in Texas as a male college student. Maybe your example holds for the average Vegetarian/Vegan.

You seem to know what you are doing so that is good, but also a lot of people are lazy, uneducated people who do not work out either so that impacts health no matter what. I love protein shakes. My store sells a great one with whole foods and multivitamins in it ^^

Thorolf
Sunday, January 16th, 2011, 02:34 AM
Nope, the egg laying factories are totally barbaric.

I agree with you about this, but there is nothing wrong with eating eggs. Its just eating eggs from these factories. Isn't so bad if it's some chicken on someones property that sleeps in the chicken coop and runs around outside during the day.

As for people who say fish isn't meat. Meat is the muscle of an animal. Last I checked a fish is an animal and what you eat from him is his meat. Some I know argue it's to stupid to have feelings since it's a fish, so that makes it ok. Well babies of just about every species are pretty stupid at first, so does that mean we can kill them? I eat meat, but if i was going to be vegetarian and argue killing for food is bad, than I wouldn't eat fish either.

Ælfrun
Sunday, January 16th, 2011, 02:46 AM
I agree with you about, but there is nothing wrong with eating eggs. Its just eating eggs from these factories. Isnt so bad if its some chicken on someones property to sleeps int he chicken coop and runs around outside during the day.

As for people who say fish isn't meat. Meat is the muscle of an animal. Last I checked a fish is an animals and what you eat from him is his meat. Some I know argue its to stupid to have feelings since its a fish, so that makes it ok. Well babies of just about every species are pretty stupid at first, so does that mean we can kill them? I eat meat, but if i was going to be vegetarian and argue killing for food is bad, than I wouldn't eat fish either.

I agree with you. It frustrates me that Vegetarians do not consider fish meat.

Hesse
Sunday, January 16th, 2011, 02:53 AM
.Most of the Omnivores and Carnivores are lean and in good shape. eg a lion and a cow.

What?

Ælfrun
Sunday, January 16th, 2011, 06:14 AM
What??

haha lions are athletic and in shape, cows are fat and lazy ^^ Lions eat meat and cows eat grass and grain.

Elessar
Sunday, January 16th, 2011, 06:20 AM
cows are fat and lazy ^^ Lions eat meat and cows eat grass and grain.

Cows are domesticated animals...

Rev. Jupiter
Sunday, January 16th, 2011, 06:28 AM
I have no real issue with eating meat on moral grounds, but I think that modern farming practices are so corrupt and modern diets so unhealthy that avoiding it whenever possible can only be a good thing.

Ardito
Sunday, January 16th, 2011, 06:31 AM
cows are fat and lazy ^^

http://i.imgur.com/40Yym.jpg

"Say that to my face, not online, and see what happens."

Ælfrun
Sunday, January 16th, 2011, 06:52 AM
http://i.imgur.com/40Yym.jpg

"Say that to my face, not online, and see what happens."

:P I also know cows are domesticated nimals, but that is just my theory. It does not have to be correct. It just makes sense to me ^^

Thorolf
Sunday, January 16th, 2011, 06:53 AM
If we look at most Herbavores in the animal kingdom, they are fat and sluggish. Most of the Omnivores and Carnivores are lean and in good shape. eg a lion and a cow. you can eat.
I agreed with the overall point of the post this quote came from, but I do disagree with this part. The herbivores in the wild aren't really fat. Cows, deer, moose, elk, etc, in the wild are actually kinda lean looking and normally more muscular. Also look at elephants, sure they may look fat due to size, but if you think about the healthy weight of one, I imagine they too are pretty fit. As for them being sluggish, I wouldnt call them sluggish at all. Most of them move at decent speeds and can really go fast when needed. I mean look at horses, they are by no means sluggish.

My opinion on vegetarians for humans is, we can digest both meat and plants, so its just seems in our nature to eat both. I respect peoples choice on what to eat. For myself, I couldn't choose to go against my natural foods. A lion couldn't eat grass because he feels bad for the gazelle, so I don't see why I shouldn't eat both since I can. I like a little of everything on my plate.

Ælfrun
Sunday, January 16th, 2011, 06:56 AM
My opinion on vegetarians for humans is, we can digest both meat and plants, so its just seems in our nature to eat both. I respect peoples choice on what to eat. For myself, I couldn't choose to go against my natural foods. A lion couldn't eat grass because he feels bad for the gazelle, so I don't see why I shouldn't eat both since I can. I like a little of everything on my plate.

That is a very good point!

Hesse
Sunday, January 16th, 2011, 02:27 PM
haha lions are athletic and in shape, cows are fat and lazy ^^ Lions eat meat and cows eat grass and grain.

At first glance the sentence looked like you were stating that cows were carnivores,like lions (most of the carnivores...lion and a cow) rather than comparing a carnivore animal (lion), with a herbivore (cow), hehe.

Thusnelda
Sunday, January 16th, 2011, 03:00 PM
Well, I´m living around cows here in my rural village and Ælfrun has a point: They are lazy and fat most of the time. :D

http://www.lfl.bayern.de/ite/gruenlandnutzung/23018/internetbeitrag.jpg

Our human digestive tract is clearly omnivorous-orientated, we are made to eat meat and plants. One just need to look at our teeth: We have both incisor teeth and flat back teeth to mangle and chew meat and crop products. Herbivores (Plant-Eaters) don´t have incisor teeth, they got a longer disgestive tract, more stomachs and are often ruminants.

In human evolution, the nutrition with meat was vital for our survival and the development and maintenance of our higher mental abilities.

I think everyone should eat what he or she likes, but I have an objection against people who want to dictate their food ideology onto others, like these crusading Vegetarians or Vegans. :thumbdown Some of them develop a mania and begin to hate normal people. For example, someone who creates such a picture to "persuade" others to go vegan can´t be sane and healthy:

http://pesto.art.pl/goscie/eksport/go_vegan.gif

(I guess here was the the wish father to the thought. ;) By the way, pigs are scavengers, the would never hunt and kill other higher animals)

Ælfrun
Sunday, January 16th, 2011, 03:51 PM
At first glance the sentence looked like you were stating that cows were carnivores,like lions (most of the carnivores...lion and a cow) rather than comparing a carnivore animal (lion), with a herbivore (cow), hehe.

Oh! haha I can see how I made that confusing :P

Ardito
Sunday, January 16th, 2011, 07:34 PM
Our human digestive tract is clearly omnivorous-orientated, we are made to eat meat and plants. One just need to look at our teeth: We have both incisor teeth and flat back teeth to mangle and chew meat and crop products. Herbivores (Plant-Eaters) don´t have incisor teeth, they got a longer disgestive tract, more stomachs and are often ruminants.

Note, however, that our incisors are very small and weak compared to those of, say, dogs, and our digestive tracts are longer than those of carnivores. We look just like we're primarily herbivores who can eat meat when we need to, which is exactly what we are.

feisty goddess
Sunday, January 16th, 2011, 07:50 PM
I pretty much only eat chicken, beef, pork, nuts, beans, eggs, low fat dairy, assorted kinds of fruit juice (with occasional apples, bananas, berries and peaches when fruit is in abundance), and complex carbohydrates (whole grain rice, bread, oatmeal). I have found that I don't really need vegetables in my diet that much (I know it sounds crazy). I have a weird aversion to certain textures and have never been able to swallow certain veggies without gagging. I also have a slight aversion to butter, mayo, and other condiments but I don't know why this is. I haven't gotten sick in 2 years (not even a cold, the immune systems of people in my family are very strong) but I do find that when I get a cut or bite it does take a very long time to heal and my skin gets very pale sometimes. I've switched my diet to the normal amount of fruits and veggies for a while before when I was on a health craze, but I didn't feel signifigantly slimmer or healthier. I suppose I was sort of made to do without produce.

Ragnar Lodbrok
Sunday, January 16th, 2011, 09:39 PM
Only a hog who tastes the flesh of another hog and goes insane because of it will do that to a human. Its true, cannibalism is really unhealthy, there is another diet that is very bad for you.

Thusnelda
Sunday, January 16th, 2011, 09:58 PM
our digestive tracts are longer than those of carnivores. We look just like we're primarily herbivores who can eat meat when we need to, which is exactly what we are.
No, our digestive tract is quite halfway between the tracts of carnivores and herbivores. Which makes us to the Omnivores we are. ;)

Ardito
Sunday, January 16th, 2011, 10:16 PM
No, our digestive tract is quite halfway between the tracts of carnivores and herbivores. Which makes us to the Omnivores we are. ;)

But our tract is adequate for digesting plant matter properly (at least, the kind of plant matter we eat), and not quite adequate for digesting meat properly.

Hilderinc
Sunday, January 16th, 2011, 10:18 PM
But our tract is adequate for digesting plant matter properly (at least, the kind of plant matter we eat), and not quite adequate for digesting meat properly.

Well birds must swallow gravel so they are able to digest their food properly; we must have harmony between how much meat and plant matter we eat to digest properly.

Zimobog
Monday, January 17th, 2011, 09:50 PM
For all I love my veg and greens, mankind is capable of surviving on only meat alone. Eskimos have done it for thousands of years. I don't think mankind can survive on veg alone.

GroeneWolf
Tuesday, January 18th, 2011, 10:18 AM
For all I love my veg and greens, mankind is capable of surviving on only meat alone. Eskimos have done it for thousands of years. I don't think mankind can survive on veg alone.

I once read that vegetarians in most cases need special supplements to get certain a kind of vitamin B in their system. Or else they will suffer certain behavioral problems.

Caledonian
Tuesday, January 18th, 2011, 10:24 AM
I'm a omnivore. ;)

[I believe a balance between the two is a key to a nutritious diet and vital health.]

MountainGuardian
Saturday, March 19th, 2011, 06:04 AM
As a child being raised by my father we ate mostly poached deer, because he spent all his money on beer, you could say I was raised on "poach and beans". I would say close to 50% of our diet was meat, I loved it and by age 8 I wieghed 80 pounds.

My brother and I were taken away from our father and placed in foster care when I was about 8 and a half, our foster parents were vegetarian and required us to be as well.

When I left there at 9 and a half years old I wieghed 45 pounds, you could see every bone in my body.

I think some people are designed well for a vegetarian diet, but not all of us are capable of doing that... My children eat a great deal of meat as well, I would say close to 40% of thier diet is meat. For me now that I am grown I probably eat about 5 to 10% of my diet as meat the rest is usually raw vegetables or vegetables cooked in soup.

I am not sure that all of us are designed to not eat meat especially as children...

Thorwald
Monday, July 4th, 2011, 02:25 AM
I don't believe it is wrong to humanely kill an animal for food. However, like others I feel factory farming is not humane. I also think an overly meat based diet is not very healthy, especially if this meat comes from fast food places.

I consider myself a selective carnivore. I like a well balanced diet. When I eat meat, I want it to be lean as possible. I only free range eggs.

I think it is possible to be a healthy vegetarian if you have a very well balanced diet. But I am a lot more skeptical about veganism.

Primus
Monday, July 4th, 2011, 12:31 PM
Pork, fish, chicken, beef, etc. are the staple meats of my diet.

Eppillus
Sunday, July 17th, 2011, 04:59 AM
Meat and grains my friends, meat and grains.

Blackened_Might
Monday, September 26th, 2011, 07:41 AM
Lately, I've been considering a 75% Vegan diet (still consuming cheeses regularly and only consuming meat on rare occasions i.e. when I visit my girlfriend's house. Moreover, I don't own non- leather/ suede shoes) due to my chronic digestive problems since vegetables digest easier than meat does and takes less time to be broken down. This time my reason for the transition is genuine and not some hippie crap, although I do have reverence for animals and nature in general. I wouldn't rag on Vegans though. Not after having stumbled upon this here guy. He may be non- white, let alone non- Germanic, but that's not the ****ing point. This is living proof that Vegans can lead a healthy lifestyle as well (no, I'm not attempting to impose any lifestyle upon anyone. It's your body. You do as you wish and I'll do whatever I please to mine. To add onto it though, the only reason as to why herbivores died out around the occurrence of the ice age is due to not having had proper knowledge on nutrition. Hunter- Gathers just killed and ate whatever in desperation of acquiring some form of nutrition and with luck, they killed the right animals and learned that those animals provided the necessary nutrients. Nowadays, we have great knowledge as well as the technology to measure the nutrients from all sorts of food sources. Back in the day of the hunter- gatherer, they ate even the eyeballs of animals as they were a source of rich vitamin and mineral. Do we eat the eyeballs of horses, deer, cow, or chicken? Exactly. Technically, we really don't even need meat. We're just following in the footsteps of our hunter- gatherer ancestors. Evolution comes in all forms, even dietary and the peripheral aspects. By common logic, we are following a primitive path, but as I said, to each their own.. just like most don't fancy getting wasted frequently whereas I do) and I must say that I'm pretty inspired.

http://www.veganbodybuilding.org/people/mike_mahler/mike-milpress.jpg

http://www.grapplearts.com/Vegan-diet-for-size.htm (http://www.grapplearts.com/Vegan-diet-for-size.htm)

Vidar Vaaer of Ildjarn is also Vegan and he seems to be in decent shape for being what he is.

http://www.spirit-of-metal.com/les%20goupes/I/Ildjarn/pics/fbbc_2.jpg

Post Scriptum: My woman and hopeful future wife is a proud (and I mean proud) ardent carnivore (she hardly touches vegetables and I warn her that she needs at least one vegetable or fruit a day to further help with bowel movement and digestion and immunity in general) and I love her with every fiber of my essence.

Neophyte
Monday, September 26th, 2011, 06:40 PM
As a human I was made to eat a bit of everything, so I do.

After all, why are animals made of meat if they were not meant to be eaten? :P

Thorbrand
Monday, September 26th, 2011, 07:17 PM
I am vegan and have been for about 10 years. I'd like to say first off that I don't have any beef (!) with meat eaters in fact the rest of my clan all eat meat and I cook most meals - doesn't bother me. When I am asked why I am a vegan I have 3 reasons:

1. It's a healthy lifestyle (vegans have a low propensity for any of the gut cancers for example) and since becoming a vegan I have never felt better.

2. It's not necessary to eat meat (our guts are not designed for a meat filled diet - we are naturally omnivorous a little here a little there).

3. No animal has to die to satisfy my hunger.

I do have a problem with industrial animal (or vegetable) farming - many of my friends are smallholders and rear their own animals - again this is the way to eat meat if your going to (or hunt wild meat), not the rubbish off a supermarket shelf - and again this is their choice and it doesn't bother me in fact I hate people who act holier than thou and preach that it's their way or the highway!:D

Frostbite
Monday, September 26th, 2011, 07:20 PM
I feel sick if I eat a lot of meat. Some is ok though. I have a problem with factory farms, I think they're cruel and unnatural. I want my meat to have had a good life and be humanely raised and killed.

Alfadur
Monday, September 26th, 2011, 07:27 PM
I am an omnivore as well. Meat and vegetables alike are a part of my diet.

That said, I try to buy organic food or products from local farmers, even if it costs more sometimes.

Þoreiðar
Monday, September 26th, 2011, 08:32 PM
I've been trying to cut down my meat-consumption (for a number of reasons) lately, replacing it with more fish, vegetables, eggs and nuts. I'm also trying to cut down on grains and other high-carbohydrate sources, but I guess that's another story.

Neophyte
Monday, September 26th, 2011, 09:01 PM
A diet low in carbohydrates makes your brain work slower. People who follow e.g. the Atkins diet seem to have some memory problems.

There is a reason that our nervous systems loves sweets.

Þoreiðar
Monday, September 26th, 2011, 09:19 PM
Thanks for the heads-up. I never heard about that before.

I should think I get sufficient levels of carbohydrates through a modest consumption of fruits and juices, though. If not, I now have a good excuse for appearing incoherent and mindlessly rambling. :)

Granraude
Monday, September 26th, 2011, 09:34 PM
I eat a lot of meat, but I'm no meat lover.

I would say that I am an omnivore, but I've noticed that I do feel poorly if I don't eat meat for some reason.

Sigurd
Monday, September 26th, 2011, 10:05 PM
I would say that I am an omnivore, but I've noticed that I do feel poorly if I don't eat meat for some reason.

That must be in our primal, male needs. Hunter stays a hunter, after all. :P

Elessar
Monday, September 26th, 2011, 10:49 PM
I concur. I've tried Vegetarianism for a brief period, but felt also drained and unfulfilled. While removing meat from your diet can help in your overall health substantially, I couldn't lie to myself any longer and accepted the fact that I'm a sinful meat eater, a sinful happy meat-eater that is.

Neophyte
Tuesday, September 27th, 2011, 12:42 AM
Thanks for the heads-up. I never heard about that before.

I should think I get sufficient levels of carbohydrates through a modest consumption of fruits and juices, though. If not, I now have a good excuse for appearing incoherent and mindlessly rambling. :)

Not so sure about that since I am no dietitian. Our brains consume huge amounts of carbohydrates, and they need a steady stream of that stuff to work well.

You would have to consult someone who actually knows this stuff. ;)

KingOvGermania
Saturday, April 21st, 2012, 01:00 AM
I concur. I've tried Vegetarianism for a brief period, but felt also drained and unfulfilled. While removing meat from your diet can help in your overall health substantially, I couldn't lie to myself any longer and accepted the fact that I'm a sinful meat eater, a sinful happy meat-eater that is.

I myself was a vegetarian for a few years... I don't eat a lot of red meat save for the occasional hamburger, simply because I don't like it, not for ideological reasons, but I do eat chicken and seafood frequently. I'm not against vegetarians for being vegetarians, but it isn't for everyone at all and I can speak from experience. After I started eating meat, I found myself more open to trying new foods with new nutrients. Is it the only way of getting protein? No. Is it a good one? Yes. In the end, it really isn't' a question of whether eating meat is good or not, as everyone will have a view on that, but a question of personal choice.

Adalheid
Monday, June 25th, 2012, 02:24 PM
We're a vegan family...but our reasons for being so are multifaceted.

We're healthy, we don't have any deficiencies, we have our blood checked quarterly and thoroughly examined with no issues resulting.

One must be careful to prepare a wide variety of foods to eat and not limit oneself to 'garbage' food when it comes to veganism. There are a lot of 'junky' vegan foods out there.

We do enjoy the odd treat now and again that isn't really fitting to our 'junk-free' objective, but doesn't everyone now and again? It's about balance.

I am absolutely not the type of vegan (nor is my husband or child) that will question what you eat. I don't frankly care what other people eat. We're doing what feels right for us, and what you find delicious is up to you. I hope for the same respect in return and that's that.

Thankfully, I'm a good cook and can prepare vegan dishes that even the most carnivorous of people can enjoy.

It's not for everyone.

This is what I like about Skadi, we're an open minded folk who embrace each other's perspectives while supporting our common viewpoints.

Thanks for asking this question!

Gustaaf
Monday, June 25th, 2012, 02:34 PM
I am absolutely not the type of vegan (nor is my husband or child) that will question what you eat. I don't frankly care what other people eat. We're doing what feels right for us, and what you find delicious is up to you. I hope for the same respect in return and that's that.

Look not trying to criticize you or anything. You got your choices, and thats cool. But when you say 'nor is my husband or child', well how old is your kid? can he/she really make a decision or just copy you? Anyway i dont agree with veganism, i think its a fad, but like you i wont question others choices. None of my b. but I dont know if its right to swipe an entire type of food away from young kids, specially when its normal part of the culture for others. Just my opinion.

Adalheid
Monday, June 25th, 2012, 02:42 PM
Look not trying to criticize you or anything. You got your choices, and thats cool. But when you say 'nor is my husband or child', well how old is your kid? can he/she really make a decision or just copy you? Anyway i dont agree with veganism, i think its a fad, but like you i wont question others choices. None of my b. but I dont know if its right to swipe an entire type of food away from kids that young, specially when its normal part of the culture for others. Just my opinion.

Like I said, Stig, our reasons are multifaceted, and I'm going to leave it at that. She's a healthy child who isn't lacking in any nutrient, so I don't see what the issue is. The same could be said for any person offering their child meat--it's a choice that they make for the child, and the child has no say.

You said that you don't question other people's choices, but you're certainly not restraining yourself from saying that it's wrong, calling it a fad and basically insinuating that I'm somehow restricting my child of some kind of right to eat meat. Sounds like questioning, to me.

If we're all healthy, why does it matter to you what we eat to the point where you feel the need to say it's wrong?

Olavssønn
Monday, June 25th, 2012, 03:25 PM
My family have had all-vegetarian periods, but we do eat meat from time to time - most often fish, but also other kinds of meat. When we visit other people, we eat what's offered, but if we have meat at home, we make sure it comes from a good farm, preferably organic. I chose this alternative:

"Yes, I eat meat, but I´m not a "carnivore" (meat-lover)"

Gustaaf
Monday, June 25th, 2012, 04:13 PM
Like I said, Stig, our reasons are multifaceted, and I'm going to leave it at that. She's a healthy child who isn't lacking in any nutrient, so I don't see what the issue is. The same could be said for any person offering their child meat--it's a choice that they make for the child, and the child has no say.

You said that you don't question other people's choices, but you're certainly not restraining yourself from saying that it's wrong, calling it a fad and basically insinuating that I'm somehow restricting my child of some kind of right to eat meat. Sounds like questioning, to me.

If we're all healthy, why does it matter to you what we eat to the point where you feel the need to say it's wrong?

My point about 'making choices' for the kid, which i think i made clear, is that if its raised in a culture thats meat eating generally then 'offering' it meat is not the same as forcing it down a different path thats basically your own choice. Most people do what it's in their culture to do. Doing it differently is the thing that people expect to be explained, specially when a kids involved.

And all people ever talk about in this types of debate is 'nutrients'. What happened to trying foods for the enjoyment of it, or the culture significance? Eatings not all about nutrients, its an important part of development too to enjoy the culture surrounding it. If you make fussy you're depriving yourself of not just food.

Unity Mitford
Monday, June 25th, 2012, 04:37 PM

Well, Veganism is certainly not a fad and it's morally superior to either Vegetarianism or Meat Eating, as long as you can achieve it without malnutrition. :)

Good to hear that your child is healthy, just make sure that is your priority.

Olavssønn
Monday, June 25th, 2012, 04:37 PM
My point about 'making choices' for the kid, which i think i made clear, is that if its raised in a culture thats meat eating generally then 'offering' it meat is not the same as forcing it down a different path thats basically your own choice. Most people do what it's in their culture to do. Doing it differently is the thing that people expect to be explained, specially when a kids involved.

The modern Western civilization is unfortunately too sick for healthy and aware people to just follow all its established norms blindly. Ideological feminism, the sexual revolution, americanization, abstract individualism and hedonistic materialism, multiculturalism... All these liberal "values" are well established in our society, and hence a part of the "culture" we live in. What we need is revolutionary cultural change, not staying loyal to a "cultural" paradigm that is rotten and destined to kill itself anyway.
If we shall use your argument here, we could just as well say that parents shouldn't teach their children traditional European values or love for ones ethnic roots, because the opposite is taught to us by society as a whole.

Unity Mitford
Monday, June 25th, 2012, 04:40 PM

And all people ever talk about in this types of debate is 'nutrients'. What happened to trying foods for the enjoyment of it, or the culture significance? Eatings not all about nutrients, its an important part of development too to enjoy the culture surrounding it. If you make fussy you're depriving yourself of not just food.

You can make vegetable based imitations of most Germanic foods, it just requires more creativity, so I don't think it is an issue. :)

Adalheid
Monday, June 25th, 2012, 04:47 PM
I appreciate the dialogue, Stig. We may not agree, and that's okay. I think our difference lies in that I do look at food from a nutrient perspective. I eat for health and for body than for mouth and for fun, most of the time. Thus, my choices are dictated as so. I am not always perfect in this regard, but our objectives are to eat food, mostly plants, as soon from harvest as possible. This renders us healthy, energetic and happy. If it does not please you, then don't do it. If you do not want to raise your child this way, then don't do it. You opinion bears no weight on how we feel is our natural way to raise our child...we are not harming her in any manner...should she choose to not follow this path when she's older, then so be it. It's no different than choosing not to send your child to a certain type of school, or letting them partake in certain activities. Those are all choices a parent must make that other parents may not agree with.

Your comment on meat consumption being cultural is debatable.
Following the Christianization, vegetarianism practically disappeared from Europe...before then, eating meat was a rarity done only very occasionally when food sources were low. Compare that to our new "western" diet where meat is eaten many times a day, and you'll have a vast difference.

We still enjoy breads, cakes, custards, big pots of stew, kohlrouladen as my mother called them... and many more "traditional" foods...we are not deprived of any delicious foods...this child does not suffer for a lack of a happily filled belly.

Gustaaf
Monday, June 25th, 2012, 04:51 PM
The modern Western civilization is unfortunately too sick for healthy and aware people to just follow all its established norms blindly. Ideological feminism, the sexual revolution, americanization, abstract individualism and hedonistic materialism, multiculturalism... All these liberal "values" are well established in our society, and hence a part of the "culture" we live in. What we need is revolutionary cultural change, not staying loyal to a "cultural" paradigm that is rotten and destined to kill itself anyway.
If we shall use your argument here, we could just as well say that parents shouldn't teach their children traditional European values or love for ones ethnic roots, because the opposite is taught to us by society as a whole.

If i didnt agree I wouldnt be here--but thing is, this is a ridiculous stretch to relate this to meat eating. If anything i see the replacement of traditional meat based meals with veganism as a huge americanization process in play. Its fad over here. Meat eating IS part of traditional european cultures. Again america sells its trends and everyone buys that its 'healthier' when its just trying to get the money in another way. Its another culture replacement with consumer greed.

When i talk about the culture i mean tradition--what this is not a part of.

Unity Mitford
Monday, June 25th, 2012, 05:40 PM
If anything i see the replacement of traditional meat based meals with veganism as a huge americanization process in play.

Veganism is English, circa 1944.

tigerlily
Monday, June 25th, 2012, 05:58 PM
I believe it is important to eat local produce for the sake of the environment - be it meat or vegetable. I don't consume a lot of meat for reasons of personal preference, but I am not a vegetarian. I eat meat when I want or have to. I think I keep a good balance of food groups most of the time.

Adalheid
Monday, June 25th, 2012, 06:16 PM
Of course our child's health is a priority. I can't help but believe that is every parent's priority, is it not?

None of us are malnourished whatsoever.

Don't be misguided to think that we're swinging off of vines waiving lettuce leaves in the air declaring "salad for all" with carrots out our ears. We eat food. Lots of it. We just happen not to eat animal products. Call it what you will vegan, plant-based...whatever... My husband's favourite kaffeebrot can be found in my oven as likely as anyone's.

Why does it matter that we don't like eating animals? I don't care if you do. Go for it. Dig in and quit complaining. We happen to be happy without it. It doesn't make us any less of what we are.

Gustaaf
Monday, June 25th, 2012, 06:26 PM
Not criticizing, just asking questions. I assume youd be open to that since you came into the discussion. But i think weve talked this thru. I get where you're coming from, maybe you get me. Its fine.

Neophyte
Monday, June 25th, 2012, 06:27 PM
Regarding what people traditionally ate and some other interesting things.

FSeSTq-N4U4

Kerwin
Monday, June 25th, 2012, 07:03 PM
If i didnt agree I wouldnt be here--but thing is, this is a ridiculous stretch to relate this to meat eating. If anything i see the replacement of traditional meat based meals with veganism as a huge americanization process in play. Its fad over here. Meat eating IS part of traditional european cultures. Again america sells its trends and everyone buys that its 'healthier' when its just trying to get the money in another way. Its another culture replacement with consumer greed.

When i talk about the culture i mean tradition--what this is not a part of.

You're mistaken. Veganism has roots in Europe too, it's not only American.

Olavssønn
Monday, June 25th, 2012, 07:05 PM
If i didnt agree I wouldnt be here--but thing is, this is a ridiculous stretch to relate this to meat eating.

I did NOT relate meat-eating with cultural decline or degeneracy. If you thought so, you misunderstood my point. ;) I do not have anything against eat-meating in itself (although I'm of the opinion that we, as a society, consume way too much of it, and that the industrialization of animal-farms produces unhealthy meat as well as creating disgusting conditions for the animals). In fact, I eat meat myself, although I'm very moderate in my consumption. What I didn't accept was your argument against bringing up children on a vegan diet because this is against the most dominant norm in society.

If anything i see the replacement of traditional meat based meals with veganism as a huge americanization process in play. Its fad over here. Meat eating IS part of traditional european cultures.

Yes, both meat and plant-based foods are a part of historical European cultures. Did I deny that?

Again america sells its trends and everyone buys that its 'healthier' when its just trying to get the money in another way.

Most people don't seem too concerned with eating healthy, do they? But if they did, that wouldn't be so bad, would it? :P

Its another culture replacement with consumer greed.

The average European consumes more meat than we've done EVER before in history, that's true to an amazingly high degree. If this development (fuelling the industrial, unpersonal system of farming animals) is not a sign of consumer greed (which you mentioned yourself), then I do not know what is.

Wolf in the West
Monday, June 25th, 2012, 07:33 PM
Im eating beef jerky right now :) i don't even consider it a meal if does not have some meat, some stuff like noodles is a exception. And i wont even get full with out it. I could never live off of just veggies and fruit, i would rather die. I don't think Veganism is healthy, but to each his own. I also like dairy, i was breast fed and was not happy when i was taken off, i still love milk today, even perfer it over stuff like soda sometimes.

Neophyte
Monday, June 25th, 2012, 07:51 PM
The average European consumes more meat than we've done EVER before in history, that's true to an amazingly high degree. If this development (fuelling the industrial, unpersonal system of farming animals) is not a sign of consumer greed (which you mentioned yourself), then I do not know what is.

If you by "in history" means the very technical term with the meaning in recorded history, as opposed to in pre-historic times, that is certainly correct. But if we factor in anthropological data and go back into the paleolithic and beyond that does not seem to be the case.

http://www.beyondveg.com/nicholson-w/hb/hb-interview1g.shtml

Imagine eating that Big Mac without fries, bread buns, and soda, all potent sources of carbs, and you'll get the picture.

As a species we are simply not made for soda pops and fries, which a casual inspection of the patrons at almost any fast food venue near you will show.

Adalheid
Monday, June 25th, 2012, 08:11 PM
Im eating beef jerky right now :) i don't even consider it a meal if does not have some meat, some stuff like noodles is a exception. And i wont even get full with out it. I could never live off of just veggies and fruit, i would rather die. I don't think Veganism is healthy, but to each his own. I also like dairy, i was breast fed and was not happy when i was taken off, i still love milk today, even perfer it over stuff like soda sometimes.

Love it. It's good to be proud of what makes you happy. Every body has different tastes. I'm glad that you like your meat, Wolf in the West. I'd never say anything otherwise, because it works for you, and I respect that. You won't catch me telling someone that their diet is unhealthy based on some narrow perspective, because I'm cool like that.

Sjoerd
Monday, June 25th, 2012, 10:24 PM
I love to eat various meats with meals. My favourite is fish and seafood.

Thusnelda
Monday, June 25th, 2012, 10:27 PM
Well, Veganism is certainly not a fad and it's morally superior to either Vegetarianism or Meat Eating, as long as you can achieve it without malnutrition. :)
How is veganism "morally superior" to other kinds of eating!? It isn´t. Our body is clearly built for- and adapted to an omnivorous diet which contains meat, plants, fruits, vegetables and - in most cases of Germanic people - meals based on milk and eggs. Our teeth, our digestive tracts and the enzymes ready to disassemble animal substances prove that our body is evolutionarily adjusted to meat and expects such input. If not you need to rely on surrogates.

Eating meat is part of our history and Germanic culture, and this counts for heathen times as well. :) If it was not for the consumption of meat, chances are high that modern humans wouldn´t have made it through the Ice Age and had a problem with energy supply to the body and brain. We can argue about the quantity of eating meat and if we need it on a daily basis, but claiming that a vegetarian or even a vegan diet is superior in any way, shape or form is presumptuous, completely irrational and goes against history of mankind.

Plants are lifeforms as well, by the way. If you want to be "morally superior" by harming no lifeforms on this planet, you need to starve to death. :dead

It boils down to the point that we should show respect to the products we eat, regardless of meat, plants or fruits. We should treat our cattle nice, or pigs, our hens, our tomatoes, our apple trees and grant them a good life. :) If we do that then we don´t need to have second thoughts when eating them or their products.

You can make vegetable based imitations of most Germanic foods, it just requires more creativity, so I don't think it is an issue. :)
Why should we consume imitations when we can have the original? ;)

skjalm hvide
Monday, June 25th, 2012, 10:59 PM
Personally I eat meat at least 2-3 times a week, sometimes more. My wife has been an on/off vegetarian most of her adult life, but she is far from fanatical about it.

We're both devoted to healthy eating and spend a great deal of money on what we would call quality food products.

Unity Mitford
Tuesday, June 26th, 2012, 12:20 AM
How is veganism "morally superior" to other kinds of eating!? It isn´t.

It prevents the murder of sentient beings. Plants are not sentient. :)

MCP3
Tuesday, June 26th, 2012, 04:31 AM
Vegan Food Pyramid

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/f6/Vegan_food_pyramid.svg/780px-Vegan_food_pyramid.svg.png

Wolf in the West
Tuesday, June 26th, 2012, 05:17 AM
Love it. It's good to be proud of what makes you happy. Every body has different tastes. I'm glad that you like your meat, Wolf in the West. I'd never say anything otherwise, because it works for you, and I respect that. You won't catch me telling someone that their diet is unhealthy based on some narrow perspective, because I'm cool like that.

Thanks! hope you were not bothered by the vegan unhealthy thing, you guys always seem to just be pale and skinny, but as long as your happy and feel healthy. Its nice to see someone pleasant, most are the liberal shove there ways down your face type. I also love fish, my dad said it runs in the family so i have allways thought it may be a English genetic thing.

Woglinde
Tuesday, June 26th, 2012, 09:42 AM
I personally try to avoid meat as much as I can because I think that man should stop killing animals for the purpose of eating them. but I dont have anything against those who think differently and eat meat. :)

Adalheid
Tuesday, June 26th, 2012, 01:47 PM
Thanks! hope you were not bothered by the vegan unhealthy thing, you guys always seem to just be pale and skinny

I don't think I've ever been described as skinny.

http://forums.skadi.net/showthread.php?p=1176986#post1176986

You know what the best part is? There's enough food for everyone. This one doesn't find meat tasty, the next one does. Pass it over. We all can be happy with what's on our plates, it doesn't have to be the same thing.

Wulfaz
Tuesday, June 26th, 2012, 06:47 PM
Vegans use to forget that the monocultural agriculture kill/bundle out far more animal and plant as the hunting or slaughtering as it totally change the original enviroment and sometimes it lead to erosion and desertification. Moreover a true vegan cannot wear leather shoes or wool coats, thus he/she shall use synthetic products often as a cotton or the linen are not so practical fabric in cold and wet conditions. The synthetic materials use to made of mineral oil. Probably the oil refineries, the factories and the transportation of the products and the raw materials are far more damaging to enviroment as the slaughting of an animal and usage its part for food and clothes.

FormalRS
Tuesday, June 26th, 2012, 10:45 PM
I'm a vegetarian simply because I think killing animals isn't right (and the way it's done can be brutal and inhumane) but I don't care what other people eat.

Vindefense
Wednesday, June 27th, 2012, 02:20 AM
It prevents the murder of sentient beings. Plants are not sentient. :)

The Secret life of Plants (http://www.amazon.com/Secret-Life-Plants-Peter-Tompkins/dp/0060915870/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top)

http://ts1.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=4587042882061192&id=a752add8cfd714046a7825a85c2417b0

This book makes a case against that notion, granted there is much to learn about this subject and the science is not perfect, it is well worth reading. The argument of vegans that hinges upon the conception that plants are not aware of their environment or conditions is quite strange, and it leaves one wondering, would vegans starve themselves if their senses were acute enough to hear the screams of the broccoli plant as its head is pulled from its stalk? :)

Gustaaf
Wednesday, June 27th, 2012, 01:18 PM
I'm a pescatarian, not for ethical reasons but because I dislike the taste of meat. I don't preach vegetarianism [or pescatarianism], because, first, it's not a moral choice on my part, and, two, it would be disingenuous to promote it as such. I have endless respect for people who do like the taste of meat, but give up eating it all the same. I don't understand their position fully, but it shows integrity and I respect that.

But ultimately I just steer clear of it for the most obvious reason there is. People who sermonize about vegetarianism who admit to hating the taste are frauds and I always call them out. They don't eat meat because they don't like it. The ethical reasons came after the fact to make themselves look better. But most vegetarians I know don't preach. It's mainly just people on YouTube.

Wolf in the West
Wednesday, June 27th, 2012, 03:45 PM
I don't think I've ever been described as skinny.

http://forums.skadi.net/showthread.php?p=1176986#post1176986

You know what the best part is? There's enough food for everyone. This one doesn't find meat tasty, the next one does. Pass it over. We all can be happy with what's on our plates, it doesn't have to be the same thing.

Wolf in the West, you do not have permission to access this page.

'Shrugs' like i said, im used to the liberal junky shove it down your face types.

TSPagan
Wednesday, June 27th, 2012, 05:57 PM
omnivore!!
you should see me eat a smoked turkey leg along with a horn of mead
it it rather brutish

Bearkinder
Wednesday, June 27th, 2012, 05:57 PM
There's no moral superiority in either decision.

We are biologically omnivores, which is why we can digest meats, and not able to digest a lot of plant types. Germanics have also eaten meat throughout their history, especially through the winter months.

The problem we run into is when the two sides take an extremist position. Just because I'll not be part of the vegan lifestyle does not mean I eat an entire side of beef a day. But vegans often accuse us omnivores of doing so, because apparently we either can eat only vegetables, or can only eat meat. Stupid extremist position.

Not all vegans are anemic wimps. Most vegans who are anemic wimps are that by choice. There are a few vegan MMA athletes I'd pay money to see some of these guys call an anemic p***y. Again, stupid extremist position.

Some of us feel a marked decrease in energy if we do not eat meat. Others don't. I don't care how much preaching one side or the other does, it's not going to change our biological functions.

So stuff whatever you like down your throat, and don'ty worry about what the guy next to you does.

Adalheid
Wednesday, June 27th, 2012, 07:18 PM
But vegans often accuse us omnivores of doing so, because apparently we either can eat only vegetables, or can only eat meat.

Hello! Vegan here. I just wanted to say for the records that not all vegans care about what other people eat. I don't! I just want to not eat meat, and I want to not be accused of being obnoxious, wrong, sickly or otherwise because I don't eat animal products. We like plants, (we meaning me and my family, not some some sort of dual personality) and our nutrient levels are balanced.

You can eat whatever you'd like, and I'd like to eat what I like.

Let's just not judge each other. In the end we can only control our individual actions. We're healthy, you're healthy. *High fives*. The best part is that we can all still drink beer.

Bearkinder
Friday, June 29th, 2012, 06:18 AM
Hello! Vegan here. I just wanted to say for the records that not all vegans care about what other people eat.
That's why I qualified my statement with "often".

You can eat whatever you'd like, and I'd like to eat what I like.

Let's just not judge each other.
That was the gist of my post.

The best part is that we can all still drink beer.

Aye, but I can drink mead!!! :thumbup

Svanhild
Monday, July 2nd, 2012, 08:55 PM
Meat is the "mea" in meal. Removing meat from the menue is like removing 8/10 of German dishes. I'm one of those people that you can ask for a steak or a salat and who responds with "Bring two steaks with tons of herb butter, pansy!".

Jäger
Monday, July 2nd, 2012, 09:20 PM
We like plants, (we meaning me and my family, not some some sort of dual personality) and our nutrient levels are balanced.
What about Vitamin B12? Most Vegans I know become kinda dodgy with this.
A malnutrition of Vitamin B12 takes effect roughly after 10 years, it then destroys your nervous system.
Vitamin B12 is only in microbiological products (e.g. milk products, eggs or meat). Sauerkraut is actually one of the few Vegan dishes which contains B12, due to its fermenting process, however, only in very low quantities.
So what do you say about this? Do you supplement Vitamin B12?

maxxi
Monday, July 16th, 2012, 09:37 PM
Salad tastes best, if you replaced him before serving with a steak...

I eat meat. I like meat. But not this organic waste from the supermarket, only directly from the butcher.

ThingsHD
Thursday, July 19th, 2012, 08:54 PM
Yes, I love meat. It´s a big part of my bill of fare

So at least 1-2 times a week I must have meat on the table.

But I attach importance to the quality, I go to a butcher I can trust. :cook:

I do not like to eat pork because I once had a bad experience ​​in Bavaria. I had to chew on the mea for too long and it was too greasy, I prefer dried meat.

Thusnelda
Sunday, July 22nd, 2012, 08:42 PM
I do not like to eat pork because I once had a bad experience ​​in Bavaria.
It´s impossible that you make bad experiences in Bavaria! Maybe you were too weak for the superior taste and meal? :P We all know that Prussians can´t handle the real deal. Or you are a Muslim in disguise...:|

ThingsHD´s favourite shop!?

http://www.f1online.de/premid/005481000/5481220.jpg

:P

ThingsHD
Sunday, July 22nd, 2012, 10:33 PM
Zitat von Thusnelda
It´s impossible that you make bad experiences in Bavaria! Maybe you were too weak for the superior taste and meal? We all know that Prussians can´t handle the real deal. Or you are a Muslim in disguise...

ThingsHD´s favourite shop!?

Maybe I was unlucky and was the cook Thusnelda. :P Königsberger Klopse is something very fine, The food is good. :thumbup

http://www.regional-saisonal.de/public/pics-rezepte/koenigsberger-klopse.jpg

:dinner:

Thusnelda´s favourite shop!? :mcd

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/de/thumb/7/7b/McDonalds_red.svg/220px-McDonalds_red.svg.png

Leliana
Thursday, April 14th, 2016, 10:30 PM
http://blog.wantist.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/MeatLove-640x320.jpg

http://static1.squarespace.com/static/53fc79bde4b0e1fb1485342d/t/5416f50ce4b0079d107c65db/1417781118184/?format=1500w

Answer given! :sun

SpearBrave
Saturday, April 16th, 2016, 01:52 AM
Interesting I never posted in this thread, though I did thank a few of the post years ago.

I love meat, it is at least 60% of my diet. I even like trying new kinds of meat from different animals.

Hunting is big part of my life so I consume large amounts of venison, quail, grouse, wild swine, and I even eat squirrels on occasion.

Beef is good, pork is better, chicken not so much and venison the best. I don't eat much fish at all unless I catch it myself which is not very often.

Vegetarian/Vegan = a word for a poor hunter. :P

Sigurd
Monday, April 18th, 2016, 12:45 AM
Beef is good, pork is better, chicken not so much and venison the best. I don't eat much fish at all unless I catch it myself which is not very often.

I complete agree with your post, but I need to second-guess this part here. I agree that chicken sucks for the most part and that venison is the best. But however you could grade pork higher than beef is beyond me. Exactly what type of Bavarian in Exile art thou if you still believe proper Schnitzel is made from pork. :wsg

What you want for that is the most tender veal, beaten into the thickness of a fingernail, covered with tasty golden-brown breading, drenched in the juice from a freshly cut lemon and served with a lingonberry relish & wholesome potato salad (actually, it's parsley-potatoes but since I'm not a posh kid, let's be honest, they're the most god-awful thing on earth. :D)

Anyway, now I'm hungry and all I have for my night-shift is a Ham & Cheese sandwich that wasn't even made by my girlfriend. Thanks for that. :P

SpearBrave
Monday, April 18th, 2016, 01:03 AM
I complete agree with your post, but I need to second-guess this part here. I agree that chicken sucks for the most part and that venison is the best. But however you could grade pork higher than beef is beyond me. Exactly what type of Bavarian in Exile art thou if you still believe proper Schnitzel is made from pork. :wsg

What you want for that is the most tender veal, beaten into the thickness of a fingernail, covered with tasty golden-brown breading, drenched in the juice from a freshly cut lemon and served with a lingonberry relish & wholesome potato salad (actually, it's parsley-potatoes but since I'm not a posh kid, let's be honest, they're the most god-awful thing on earth. :D)

Anyway, now I'm hungry and all I have for my night-shift is a Ham & Cheese sandwich that wasn't even made by my girlfriend. Thanks for that. :P

Veal is preferred, especially for the hard to get it right here without driving three hours Weißwurst. :~(

Pork is just my favorite over beef lately. How could you even think Bavarian without Schweinshaxe. :D

btw I also like my schnitzel very thin with lemon squeezed on it, for the side dish I like a salad or maybe some potato cakes. You can make a decent schnitzel out of a pork cutlet pounded thin with good bread crumbs. You hardly ever even see veal cutlet for sale around here.

Englisc
Monday, April 18th, 2016, 04:15 PM
Carnivore! I have a problem with my teeth (they dont meet in the middle) so I stay away from tougher meats, but pretty much daily I'll have chicken, beef, pork, or turkey.

I have an annoying militant vegan friend on Facebook (who I still follow cause of her beautiful artwork) who attempts to shock people into becoming veggies by the usual slaughterhouse videos and weird screeds on how drinking milk is bad for you. I have no problem with people making their own choices- but too many vegetarians and vegans are all preachy about it and I don't appreciate that at all.

I once had a German teacher who said going to Germany made her a vegetarian. Never did figure that one out. :|

Leliana
Monday, April 18th, 2016, 08:01 PM
Pork is just my favorite over beef lately. How could you even think Bavarian without Schweinshaxe. :D
http://www.buggy-forum.de/attachments/asterix-et-obelix-jpg.11716/

http://www.toonpool.com/user/1365/files/schweinshaxe_1006155.jpg

Schmetterling
Wednesday, October 18th, 2017, 09:33 AM
I do eat meat, however not every day, and I usually avoid the fatty type. I prefer lean meat like chicken/poultry, some game or fish. I also eat dairy, but also prefer the non or low fat type. The way I see it, meat is an essential source for protein, although some vegetables also contain that, however in lesser quantity.

LillyCaterina
Saturday, July 7th, 2018, 08:49 PM
I'm an omnivore, as is Gareth.

We are very selective about our dietary habits. :)

Terminus
Sunday, July 8th, 2018, 05:01 AM
I know this is a late reply, but I maintain a vegetarian diet - but not strictly, with the occasional chicken noodle soup for when I get sick (I know there are alternatives which substitute the chicken with tofu but they aren't always easy to obtain).

Minor health and ethical reasons aside, I've been persuaded that a vegetarian diet is guaranteed victory in the end as an inevitability. It's a biological fact that vegetarian animals outlast their carnivorous predators (the hare compared to the cheetah), and more so, that we mainly feast on animals which subsist on a vegetarian diet! Also, the fact that vegetarian animals maintain their teeth better compared to carnivores (like sharks). As biological science gains more ground in the social world, so too will vegetarianism.

It's no coincidence that healthy practices like vegetarianism and cremation disappeared with the advent of Christianity. Of course, it'd be improper of me to label these concepts as pagan, but they were generally well-accepted among those circles and there existed in those days the notion the Jewish community had established their cult in opposition to their neighbors. The Jew's idea of burial as an expectation of resurrection had nothing to do with the Egyptian form of burial (see Porphyry). I would add that, like Julian, I actually admire the Jews for their abstinence from swine. It's a sound decision. Now if only this aversion would extend to other animal meat...

I absolutely abhor eating seafood. I doubt that Jesus ever promoted it's consumption. Feeding of the thousands and catching of the fish sound more suited to be parables than miracles. The use of fish as a symbol is prevalent throughout the gospels, even in so-called "gnostic" literature.

I have an annoying militant vegan friend on Facebook (who I still follow cause of her beautiful artwork) who attempts to shock people into becoming veggies by the usual slaughterhouse videos and weird screeds on how drinking milk is bad for you. I have no problem with people making their own choices- but too many vegetarians and vegans are all preachy about it and I don't appreciate that at all. It's deplorable when their propagandists take a dogmatic turn for the worst, there's no need to force anyone to make the transition. It will come about naturally.

It's likewise appalling when I hear about vegetarianism/veganism being a conspiracy. Where does this idea that meat is necessary for a healthy diet come from? IIRC it was foisted on me via a food pyramid diagram. That's the real conspiracy. Back then, I used to think man would starve if he lived on vegetables and grains alone. Turns out I was wrong.

What's clear to me is that it's not enough to promote mere health or ethical reasons for going vegetarian.

Jäger
Sunday, July 8th, 2018, 01:14 PM
It's a biological fact that vegetarian animals outlast their carnivorous predators (the hare compared to the cheetah) ...
Yes, but humans are omnivores. So what is your point?

Also, the fact that vegetarian animals maintain their teeth better compared to carnivores (like sharks).
Yes, but sharks do not cook or fillet their prey. So what is your point?

As biological science gains more ground in the social world, so too will vegetarianism.
Mere speculation. There are no definitive findings regarding the health of food, that is because randomized and placebo controlled studies about food are virtually impossible to conduct with humans.
The only real insight we have into eating is: eat variably and not too much. And coincidentally, that is what Aristoteles said 2,400 years ago. We haven't gotten much further, scientifically.

It's no coincidence that healthy practices like vegetarianism and cremation disappeared with the advent of Christianity.
Where do you get your information from? Little is known about the eating habits of old, general census is that the people of that time weren't that picky, and simply ate what they could find (including meat), period.

Would you even abstain from eating meat if there were nothing else to eat (which happened quite often in history)?

Where does this idea that meat is necessary for a healthy diet come from?
From a time where you couldn't chose between thousands of foreign vegetables and fruits, and people simply had problems to meet their calorie and nutrition demand.
It is scientific census, that your body can salvage nutrition from animals better, since their structure resembles our needs more closely.

Back then, I used to think man would starve if he lived on vegetables and grains alone. Turns out I was wrong.
Versatility is an advantage, if you want to be like the Koala and only eat eucalyptus, you will look stupid if there is no eucalyptus anymore.

What's clear to me is that it's not enough to promote mere health or ethical reasons for going vegetarian.
There are no proven health reasons, ethical arguments are the only valid ones. What else do you have in mind?

Víðálfr
Friday, September 28th, 2018, 09:53 PM
It's been a while since I posted here last time, but I'm not going to read everything that was posted here meanwhile. :P

So, it seems like I've been a vegetarian since 2010 so far. I tried to go vegan a few times, but I don't really see the point in being vegan. And when I see so much aggressive propaganda about it...

I can't tolerate milk, as I already stated in another thread. But I eat some other milk products from time to time, without too many problems, it depends. I usually don't eat eggs, just occasionally, on Easter or as ingredients in something else.

Honey is very healthy, also a natural remedy, and I don't even think to stop consuming it, which some vegans do.

However, when I'm going somewhere and they ask me about diet, I prefer to choose vegan, to avoid any milk or whatever hormones the animals were fed up with. More healthy that way. Unless it's some artificial made butter or whatever other artificial cheese products, which are obviously worse than the real ones.

Vegetarian/Vegan = a word for a poor hunter. :P
Oh, come on... I couldn't resist not replying to this, when I saw it... So then I'm a poor hunter, I have to admit. :D

Basically, I started to be vegetarian for health reasons, and then found some other reasons too. I consider veganism, though, but some types of cheese are just too good. Also the B12 thing, I'd prefer to have it naturally, so veganism is not so appealing for me for too many reasons.

Alice
Tuesday, March 26th, 2019, 11:19 AM
Okay...I´m curious about the attitude towards meat within the Skadi Community. Do you eat meat? Are you a vegetarian!?? Or do you don´t eat meat and reject even milk-produkts (veganism)?

I eat some meat and I will eat what is offered to me, though my diet is mostly plant-based. Truthfully, I'd be perfectly happy with a totally vegetarian diet. I wouldn't dream of eliminating milk-products from my diet, though!

And why do you like/dislike meat? Because of ethic reasons? Reasons of taste? Or is it ideology - like "straight edge" or something like that!?

No specific reason, just personal preference, though I did go through a stage in my teens where I echoed Morrissey's sentiments about meat. :P I would rather eschew meat altogether if it's low quality or badly prepared.

Sigurdsson
Tuesday, March 26th, 2019, 12:53 PM
I'm an omnivore. I eat meat, not red meat in large quantities, and various kinds of vegetables and fruits, as well as having a glass of milk every day or two. Meat and plant based foods are both needed for an adequate diet, in my opinion.

Gareth Lee Hunter
Tuesday, March 26th, 2019, 11:52 PM
As an omnivore, I like properly prepared meat, fruit, and vegetables. :)

LillyCaterina
Wednesday, March 27th, 2019, 02:06 AM
As an omnivore, I like properly prepared meat, fruit, and vegetables. :)

We mainly eat baked chicken, turkey, and fish though Gareth. Occasionally red meat. But not very often. :)