PDA

View Full Version : Biometrical Studies on the Anthropology of Russia

visigodo
Saturday, February 3rd, 2007, 10:28 PM
Some old material but interesting:

BIOMETRICAL STUDIES ON THE ANTHROPOLOGYOF RUSSIA.

By ETHYME TSCHEPOURKOWSKY

APPLYING the geographical method to measurements of nearly 50,000 Russian peasants* I was led to the chief types given in the map, Plate L

(i) There exists in the East of European Russia (Riazan, Tambof and Penza governments^ an island of relative dolichocephaly, namely 16 contiguous districts, the mean cephalic index of each not exceeding 79'9. Such a low mean index is nowhere else to be met with. The empirical distribution of those districts is provided in the accompanying Table I (7816 men). The hair- and eye-colour in this region is relatively dark.

(ii) In the other parts of Great Russia the watersheds are inhabited by a much more brachycephalic type: the mean index of districts is there nearly 83—87. This type is relatively blond. The same population with much more accentuated blondness and brachycephaly occupies the swamps of White Russia along the rivers Pripiet and Berezina, affluents of the river Dniepr. The river valleys in Great Russia are occupied by an intermediate or mixed type of index : (80—81).

(iii) The Little Russian population is also brachycephalic but very dark.

(iv) Along the valleys of the Nieman and West Dwina (w. Duna) and in government Moghileff there are remnants of the Scandinavian type, blond and
relatively dolichocephalic (80—81).

According to considerations I will not reproduce here{ I think that the first of these types (East Russian) is the remnant of an ancient population of Turco- Finnish and partly slavic origin; the second invaded Great Russia much later (700—1000 years ago) from the swamps of White Russia and has an affinity with the round-barrow population of Britain ; the third colonized Little Russia quite recently from the Carpathians (Homo aipinus) after the Tartar invasion.