PDA

View Full Version : History Notes Strong Judeo-Irish Heritage

Nordhammer
Tuesday, March 16th, 2004, 01:57 AM
History Notes Strong Judeo-Irish Heritage
March 13, 2004
Jonathan A. Harris

http://www.ctnow.com/news/opinion/op_ed/hc-irish0313.artmar13,0,4721143.story

Every year, I look forward to marching in the St. Patrick's Day Parade in Hartford, which is being held today. As I march through the streets of the capital city, through a spirited sea of green-clad cheering people, I cannot escape the overwhelming pride of the Irish - a people that have contributed so much to the region, state and nation.

Pride in one's roots is a crucial ingredient in the success of the American melting pot. It must never be forgotten. We must also recognize the numerous connections between groups of people. One such connection is between the Irish and the Jews.

A while back, a friend told me about an organization called the Loyal League of the Yiddish Sons of Erin. This New York-based group was composed of Irish Jews who immigrated to the United States. They would hold their own St. Patrick's Day celebration in which they would eat green bagels and green matzo balls in chicken soup. For many years, they marched under their own banner in New York's St. Patrick's Day Parade.

There have long been Jews in Ireland. The period of 1881 to 1911 represented the high period of Jewish immigration to Ireland. The majority of these immigrants hailed from Lithuania. Jews in Ireland were overwhelmingly in favor of Irish independence from Britain. For example, the Judeo-Irish Home Rule Association was formed in 1908. During the Troubles, Fanny Goldberg of Cork joined Cuman na mBan, according to "Shalom Ireland: A Social History of the Jews in Modern Ireland," by Ray Rivlin. This women's arm of the Irish Volunteers nursed the wounded and transported ammunition. Irish Republican Army fugitives were sheltered in Jewish homes, Rivlin writes. The main IRA underground newspaper was secretly printed by an Irish Jew, Abraham Spiro. Countless Jews are among the list of decorated IRA veterans.

The Jewish community in Ireland reached a high of nearly 6,000 in the 1940s. In the 20th century, the island's three largest cities - Dublin, Belfast and Cork - each elected a lord mayor of the Jewish faith. For decades, Dublin had its "Little Jerusalem" neighborhood, Cork its "Jewtown." In fact, until the 1950s, Dublin reportedly had eight kosher butcher shops and 12 synagogues.

The island's Jewish population has dwindled considerably in recent years. According to one estimate, in 1991 there were 1,581 Jews in the Republic of Ireland and 410 in Northern Ireland. In recent decades, younger Irish Jews have left the island for better economic opportunities, just like their Roman Catholic countrymen, mainly headed to the United States and England. An estimated 350 Irish-born Jews live in Israel today.

One of the immigrants to Israel was Chaim Herzog. Herzog, who was elected president of Israel in 1983, was born in Belfast in 1918 and raised in Dublin. He spoke fluent English, Gaelic, Hebrew and Yiddish. His father was the chief rabbi of Ireland and would later become the chief rabbi of Israel. Herzog's 1997 obituary in The New York Times made slight mention of his Irish heritage and no mention of his enthusiasm for Irish independence. It was a glaring omission because Herzog's experience with the Irish independence movement undoubtedly shaped his role in Israeli independence.

As I march in the St. Patrick's Day Parade today, I will not only be feeling the pride of the Irish, I will also be celebrating the connections many of us have to Ireland and to each other. "Slainte!" Or is that "L'chaim"?

Jonathan A. Harris is mayor of West Hartford.

old aryan
Tuesday, March 16th, 2004, 05:57 AM
History Notes Strong Judeo-Irish Heritage

March 13, 2004
Jonathan A. Harris

http://www.ctnow.com/news/opinion/op_ed/hc-irish0313.artmar13,0,4721143.story

Every year, I look forward to marching in the St. Patrick's Day Parade in Hartford, which is being held today. As I march through the streets of the capital city, through a spirited sea of green-clad cheering people, I cannot escape the overwhelming pride of the Irish - a people that have contributed so much to the region, state and nation.

Pride in one's roots is a crucial ingredient in the success of the American melting pot. It must never be forgotten. We must also recognize the numerous connections between groups of people. One such connection is between the Irish and the Jews.

A while back, a friend told me about an organization called the Loyal League of the Yiddish Sons of Erin. This New York-based group was composed of Irish Jews who immigrated to the United States. They would hold their own St. Patrick's Day celebration in which they would eat green bagels and green matzo balls in chicken soup. For many years, they marched under their own banner in New York's St. Patrick's Day Parade.

There have long been Jews in Ireland. The period of 1881 to 1911 represented the high period of Jewish immigration to Ireland. The majority of these immigrants hailed from Lithuania. Jews in Ireland were overwhelmingly in favor of Irish independence from Britain. For example, the Judeo-Irish Home Rule Association was formed in 1908. During the Troubles, Fanny Goldberg of Cork joined Cuman na mBan, according to "Shalom Ireland: A Social History of the Jews in Modern Ireland," by Ray Rivlin. This women's arm of the Irish Volunteers nursed the wounded and transported ammunition. Irish Republican Army fugitives were sheltered in Jewish homes, Rivlin writes. The main IRA underground newspaper was secretly printed by an Irish Jew, Abraham Spiro. Countless Jews are among the list of decorated IRA veterans.

The Jewish community in Ireland reached a high of nearly 6,000 in the 1940s. In the 20th century, the island's three largest cities - Dublin, Belfast and Cork - each elected a lord mayor of the Jewish faith. For decades, Dublin had its "Little Jerusalem" neighborhood, Cork its "Jewtown." In fact, until the 1950s, Dublin reportedly had eight kosher butcher shops and 12 synagogues.

The island's Jewish population has dwindled considerably in recent years. According to one estimate, in 1991 there were 1,581 Jews in the Republic of Ireland and 410 in Northern Ireland. In recent decades, younger Irish Jews have left the island for better economic opportunities, just like their Roman Catholic countrymen, mainly headed to the United States and England. An estimated 350 Irish-born Jews live in Israel today.

One of the immigrants to Israel was Chaim Herzog. Herzog, who was elected president of Israel in 1983, was born in Belfast in 1918 and raised in Dublin. He spoke fluent English, Gaelic, Hebrew and Yiddish. His father was the chief rabbi of Ireland and would later become the chief rabbi of Israel. Herzog's 1997 obituary in The New York Times made slight mention of his Irish heritage and no mention of his enthusiasm for Irish independence. It was a glaring omission because Herzog's experience with the Irish independence movement undoubtedly shaped his role in Israeli independence.

As I march in the St. Patrick's Day Parade today, I will not only be feeling the pride of the Irish, I will also be celebrating the connections many of us have to Ireland and to each other. "Slainte!" Or is that "L'chaim"?

Jonathan A. Harris is mayor of West Hartford.
Interesting......in some ways, hard to believe yet not too hard to believe, either:-O ;(

Saoirse
Tuesday, March 16th, 2004, 06:04 AM
One of the leading anti-racist in Ireland is a kike.

Milesian
Tuesday, March 16th, 2004, 09:23 AM
Fairly typical Jewish tactics I would have thought - hijacking other people's cultures. There was also plenty of Jews in Britain who supported Britain's occupation of Ireland. By putting their eggs into as many different baskets as possible, the Jews can appear to be everyone's friend.

If Jews wished to promote Irish independance then good for them, but they shouldn't go about hoping for favours in return.

Hmm...I fancy some rashers of streaky Irish bacon for breakfast ;)

old aryan
Sunday, March 21st, 2004, 01:32 AM
Fairly typical Jewish tactics I would have thought - hijacking other people's cultures. There was also plenty of Jews in Britain who supported Britain's occupation of Ireland. By putting their eggs into as many different baskets as possible, the Jews can appear to be everyone's friend.

If Jews wished to promote Irish independance then good for them, but they shouldn't go about hoping for favours in return.

Hmm...I fancy some rashers of streaky Irish bacon for breakfast ;)
Hmmmm....what about some of those who believe that some of the 'lost tribes' of Israel made their way to Britain?

AngryPotato
Sunday, March 21st, 2004, 04:22 AM
Hartford is the 2nd biggest shit hole here in Connecticut, first being Bridgeport. I doubt the Irish population even appears on the census map for Hartford. The city is all Puerto Rican/Mexican/Negras. The jews can make that city their hole all they want to. West Hartford is a halfway decent town. Jews always try to show how much they are a part of a nation yet they always remain so distinct. A jew can never be an Irishman nor a Frenchman nor a German. They will always be just a jew in my view and I believe they think of themselves in that way as well.

gorgeousgal2k2
Sunday, March 21st, 2004, 04:38 PM
"Hijacking peoples cultures"? Yet on the other hand Jews are criticised for not wanting to be part of the other person's culture and thinking of themselves as "just a jew".

can jews do anything right?

Milesian
Sunday, March 21st, 2004, 06:46 PM
"Hijacking peoples cultures"? Yet on the other hand Jews are criticised for not wanting to be part of the other person's culture and thinking of themselves as "just a jew".

can jews do anything right?

The point being made is that I doubt the integrity of their motives.
In as much as I am saying that the I do wonder if there is a self-serving motive behind it all. Jewish banking institutions have financed various causes and revolutions throughout history as it served them. History would suggest that it would be unusual for the Jews to be patriotic for merely altruistic purposes unless they could see some tangible benefit to them as well.
AngryPotato has a point in that while Germans, French, British, Spanish, etc can all identify themselves primarily and even solely with their nationality, Jews are always aware that they are also Jewish, that the Jewish cause also competes for their loyalties and I don't doubt that for many, their loyalty to their fellow Jews will always take precedence over everything else.
This may be the reason why Jews tend to promote Globalism and Internationalism through their idealogies/ (whether through Free-Market Captalism or through International Communism, etc). It is easier for them not to be expected to be patriotic to a single nation but rather to have something much more vague and international.

@ old aryan
Yeah, I have seen the claims of the British Israelites and their modern day spin-offs. No substantial evidence, just hearsay and conjecture.
Not only the British, but all european peoples are supposed to belong to the various Twelve Lost Tribes. Amusing if nothing else.

gorgeousgal2k2
Sunday, March 21st, 2004, 07:01 PM
The point being made is that I doubt the integrity of their motives.
In as much as I am saying that the I do wonder if there is a self-serving motive behind it all. Jewish banking institutions have financed various causes and revolutions throughout history as it served them. History would suggest that it would be unusual for the Jews to be patriotic for merely altruistic purposes unless they could see some tangible benefit to them as well.

and which nations and peoples have never done that? Come on.

I'm patriotic because I love my country, I am proud of it's history. I love the landscape and the people. NOT because of some mysterious "Jewish interest" which everyone talks about but nobody can agree on what it is.

I'm going to live here the rest of my life, because I like living here. Not because of some evil, evil, Jooish Conthpiwwathy.

Sorry, but this is something that REALLY annoys me. When people assume that I am not patriotic and hate the country i live in, because of my background, when they assume, completely wrongly that because I am Jewish I must be working against the country in some undetectable way.

It's something that really, really really pisses me off. Seriously. Don't even try it.

By the way, when it was the World Cup in 2002, I was cheering for England, all the way. A German girl living here supported every other team which beat england, and actually was happy when England lost! The Euro Cup of 2000, I painted St George crosses on my face and we had a St George flag outside the house. I am very patriotic. I'm proud of this country's achievements. I'd not live anywhere else. And I mean that.

Milesian
Sunday, March 21st, 2004, 07:11 PM
and which nations and peoples have never done that? Come on.

I'm patriotic because I love my country, I am proud of it's history. I love the landscape and the people. NOT because of some mysterious "Jewish interest" which everyone talks about but nobody can agree on what it is.

I'm going to live here the rest of my life, because I like living here. Not because of some evil, evil, Jooish Conthpiwwathy.

You mentioned nations, but that's precisely my point.
A nation will always be competing with a Jews loyalty with International Judaism.

I'm quite willing to accept that not all Jews are thus inclined, obviously not as there are documented cases of Jews who have converted and subsequently denounced the workings of International Judaism. But I believe there is a leadership which most certainly does operate according to motives which are not in everyone's best interests.

gorgeousgal2k2
Sunday, March 21st, 2004, 07:27 PM
No, it won't. It won't. that wasn't why I mentioned nations. I was pointing out that EVERYONE does that. a lot of people have selfish motives for doing things.

At least if they're loyal to Judaism it shows that they care about their religion and that's a good thing yeah? That doesn't stop them calling themselves English or Irish or whatever does it?

In the 17th century Catholics were often accused of working for some Catholic conspiracy in England and being loyal to "Popery" rather than their country. there wasn't any truth in this of course, but it went on for years...

im sorry, i probably shouldn't have overreacted like this, but there aren't many things wich offend me and you just did there two posts above :(

There are leaderships that operate everywhere which aren't in peoples' best interests. The same could be said of the Catholic Church, mate - although i think that most mainstream religious organisations do genuinely try to help :(

Milesian
Sunday, March 21st, 2004, 07:36 PM
At least if they're loyal to Judaism it shows that they care about their religion and that's a good thing yeah? That doesn't stop them calling themselves English or Irish or whatever does it?

It's a good thing if you are Jewish, but possibly not for the Goyim.
and no, it doesn't stop them calling themselves English or Irish ;)

In the 17th century Catholics were often accused of working for some Catholic conspiracy in England and being loyal to "Popery" rather than their country. there wasn't any truth in this of course, but it went on for years...

Umm....no....no truth in that at all....Guy Fawkes was working alone without our consent :D

im sorry, i probably shouldn't have overreacted like this, but there aren't many things wich offend me and you just did there two posts above :(

That's okay. I just wish to discuss things in an open and frank manner. It may offend you at times, but I'm sure you know that wasn't my intention, rather just a consequence of being open and honest about my opinions.

There are leaderships that operate everywhere which aren't in peoples' best interests. The same could be said of the Catholic Church, mate - although i think that most mainstream religious organisations do genuinely try to help :(

Yeah, but those who say that about the Catholic Church are simply wrong.....probably led astray by Jew-controlled Mass Media ;) :jk

Saoirse
Sunday, March 21st, 2004, 08:58 PM

For many years, they marched under their own banner in New York's St. Patrick's Day Parade.

gorgeousgal2k2
Sunday, March 21st, 2004, 09:27 PM
At least they went.

Mandible
Sunday, March 21st, 2004, 11:57 PM
Mar. 20, 2004 18:23 | Updated Mar. 20, 2004 18:54
By ASSOCIATED PRESS
BRIDGEPORT, Conn.

A New York man was charged Friday with illegally exporting military equipment to Israel, the U.S. Attorney's Office said.

Leib Kohn, 70, of Brooklyn, N.Y., was arrested in New York on a complaint issued in U.S. District Court in Bridgeport, authorities said. He was accused of violating the Arms Export Control Act and the International Trafficking in Arms Regulations, authorities said.

Mandible
Monday, March 22nd, 2004, 12:07 AM
Last Update: 21/03/2004 12:05

Sources: Two Israelis suspected of smuggling weapons to Iran

By Yossi Melman, Haaretz Correspondent

Two Israelis are currently under suspicion - for the third time in the last decade - of smuggling arms to Iran, police and Defense Ministry sources told Haaretz over the weekend.

Eli Cohen and Avihai Weinstein are suspected of smuggling components for Hawk missiles and radar systems used in Phantom fighter jets. The components were purchased in the United States, and allegedly were to be sold to Iran via additional middlemen.

Mac Seafraidh
Monday, March 22nd, 2004, 04:03 AM
Britian has Jews everywhere. A lot of English Jews probably moved to Ireland as well.

Louky
Monday, March 22nd, 2004, 02:53 PM
I'm patriotic because I love my country, I am proud of it's history. I love the landscape and the people.

Who do you think the people are? Are West African Negros, Asians, etc., along with the pre-invasion populace, the people of Britain you profess to love?

If so, then I will say you are not truly patriotic. Instead you are loyal to the government and current power structure and not to the British nation.

old aryan
Tuesday, March 23rd, 2004, 01:58 AM
Maybe we'd all be better off if we promoted the positives in our cultures, and did not take knee-jerk digs at other cultures!:|
Do we REALLY know all of the background of every 'race'/culture................is it fair to attack first...are we so self-righteous that we do not see our own flaws...............I think that at least one 'holy book' sez something about not criticizing one's 'brother' for fault, when we have large impediments sticking out of our own eyes!!!!

I respect a culture that is proud of itself and its accomplishments/contributions to the betterment of all mankind, as opposed to those who seek to destroy.

IT IS HARD TO CONSTRUCT, BUT IT IS EASY TO DESTROY. In the history of the world, there has never been a statue dedicated to a critic!!!!

Someone recently had a book published , something about lies and the lying liars who tell them..................................hm mm.........something to think about( especially when we Americans vote in November):|

A great American, Benjamin Franklin, was once quoted as saying to the signers of the American Declaration of Independence that if they did not all hang together, they would surely hang separately!
I submit to you, that if we do not all contribute constructively on this earth, and get caught up in name-calling and hate,....that eventually it will come back on us all. I don't know about you, but I'm trying to find something better, every day.....and better is not in destructive criticism.

If someone comes to celebrate with you, then, why the criticism, eh?