PDA

View Full Version : Lombard, Ostrogoth & Norman Lineage In Italy

Peoples Observer
Wednesday, January 31st, 2007, 12:27 AM
From history I'm aware of the settlements of the Lombards in northern Italy, the Ostrogoths dispersed all over Italy and the Norman (Viking) conquest and settlement of Sicily.

My question and interest is why did these Germanic tribes with their own Germanic languages adopt the Romance language of Italian ? And why did they not set up Germanic kingdoms that might have later developed into nations ?
They assimilated into the Italian population and lost their Germanic identities.
This also happened in France where the Gauls and Franks adopted the Romance French language and lost their German (in the case of the Franks) and Celtic (in the case of the Gauls) identities.

Is there any research as to why these Germanic tribes chose to assimilate into their conquered lands rather than maintain their own identity ?

Ĉmeric
Wednesday, January 31st, 2007, 12:38 AM
It probably had to do with the much larger population of Latin speakers and the fact that the Romanized inhabitants had a higher degree of civilization.

ForwardEyes
Wednesday, January 31st, 2007, 04:03 PM
It depends on what you mean by assimilate. Italy is still a young nation, the respective regions have kept to themselves, and even now there are seperatist organizations in the north. You can still see the Germanic (Lombard) influence in northern Italian architecture, art, and definitely on the people the further north you go.

As far as adopting the culture and the language, I think Madoc nailed it.