PDA

View Full Version : Brown Haired / Brown Eyed Inhabitants of Lower Saxony

Peoples Observer
Sunday, January 14th, 2007, 08:46 AM
I was wondering if any inhabitants of the German state of Lower Saxony (Niedersachsen) could help me with this question. While vacationing in Bremen and the surrounding areas of Lower Saxony I noticed a high percentage of brown haired and brown eyed Germans. I was surprised that this far up in Northern Germany I would not find a higher percentage of blond haired and blue eyed people. I remember reading about the fact that a large percentage of the original Saxons were dark haired and dark eyed. But with the mixing in of Frisians, Danes, and Franks into this area I thought there would be more blond haired / blue eyed folk. Was there a Latin or Celtic racial influence from the Roman times that any significant impact ? Not too far away in the Hamburg area there was a much more noticeable blond haired and blue eyed percentage of Germans.

Mr_Doctor
Sunday, January 14th, 2007, 08:58 PM
does that happens in neighbour countries of the area (low saxony) such as denmark and netherlands?

Loewenherz
Sunday, January 14th, 2007, 10:27 PM
you have also to consider, that we have a high percentage of immigrants (like these turks and arabs) in the present-day Germany, especially in bigger cities like Bremen (as you mentioned above).

a look into the past foreshadowes that the Romans had a significant racial influence such as for example the eastern Slavic Peoples, which were forced by the Huns to flee into the west.

of course there were more Roman settlements in the south of the "Limes", than in the north.

greetings from Bavaria,
and sorry for my bad English.. :D

Peoples Observer
Monday, January 15th, 2007, 11:21 AM
you have also to consider, that we have a high percentage of immigrants (like these turks and arabs) in the present-day Germany, especially in bigger cities like Bremen (as you mentioned above).

a look into the past foreshadowes that the Romans had a significant racial influence such as for example the eastern Slavic Peoples, which were forced by the Huns to flee into the west.

of course there were more Roman settlements in the south of the "Limes", than in the north.

greetings from Bavaria,
and sorry for my bad English.. :D

I understand about the present non-Whites in the big cities. But I was referring to the pure German inhabitants of Lower Saxony who are German (not mixed with any non-Whites) and have a tendency to have a high percentage of brown hair and brown eyes. Can any Niedersachsen residents help answer the question ?

ares
Monday, January 15th, 2007, 12:04 PM
One needs to remember that white people can have brown hair and brown eyes as well.

I understand about the present non-Whites in the big cities. But I was referring to the pure German inhabitants of Lower Saxony who are German (not mixed with any non-Whites) and have a tendency to have a high percentage of brown hair and brown eyes. Can any Niedersachsen residents help answer the question ?

Ćmeric
Monday, January 15th, 2007, 02:48 PM
I know brown hair is common among Danish-Americans & brown eyes, sometimes with brown hair shows up among Norwegian-Americans.

Desert Fox
Monday, January 15th, 2007, 11:48 PM
I was wondering if any inhabitants of the German state of Lower Saxony (Niedersachsen) could help me with this question. While vacationing in Bremen and the surrounding areas of Lower Saxony I noticed a high percentage of brown haired and brown eyed Germans. I was surprised that this far up in Northern Germany I would not find a higher percentage of blond haired and blue eyed people. I remember reading about the fact that a large percentage of the original Saxons were dark haired and dark eyed. But with the mixing in of Frisians, Danes, and Franks into this area I thought there would be more blond haired / blue eyed folk. Was there a Latin or Celtic racial influence from the Roman times that any significant impact ? Not too far away in the Hamburg area there was a much more noticeable blond haired and blue eyed percentage of Germans.

Interesting! I was born and raised South of Bremen but my father was of Rhenish (Rheinlaender) extraction and my mother was from the Stuttgart area. I was blond into my 40s, though not light blond and white blond until about 13 or 14 years old.
Most kids of the "old stock" were blond until their early teens and then darkened to dark blond ("Dishwater blond") I stood out with blonder hair.
The farm boys turned out to be larger, though but they evidently had
more faelic influences. Plus I grew up during the war and afterwards when food was scarce and essential vitamins non-existent. The farm kids had more healthier and abundant food and I attribute that to their sturdier and taller growth...
North of Bremen towards Hamburg one sees a lot more Nordic type people.
The large cities of Niedersachsen had a large influx of Eastern Germans who came in as refugees and there is no doubt some Slavic influence, also.
One needs to study the inhabitants of the small towns and villages to get a better picture of how people looked a few generations ago.
The more North one goes past Hamburg into Danmark the more natural blonds there are. The girls are physically of such beauty there in general that it takes one's breath away. What is sad, though, that they are infected with liberal propaganda and do not even appreciate the blood passed to them by their ancestors. That is true especially in Danmark all the way into Norway, Sweden and Finnland..
It was only recently that I found out that Slavs (Wends/Sorbs) were present deep into Schleswig Holstein in the 10th century. Whether there was a great physical difference then between the Germanic inhabitants and the Slavs I do not know. My guess is that at that time there were racial differences until the distinction became almost nil due to intermarriage.

Peoples Observer
Tuesday, January 16th, 2007, 12:48 AM
One needs to remember that white people can have brown hair and brown eyes as well.

That is obvious. ........ But my inquiry was why is there a large presence of ostensibly pure Germans with brown hair & brown eyes in an area of northern Germany which is typically thought of as Nordic in that there are generally more blond haired and blue eyed folk there. I believe Desert Fox may have shed some light on the fact that there is an influence of eastern German and German-Slavic mixtures which might explain some of the darker appearences of some of the Lower Saxon Germans. And I guess you would have to visit the smaller towns of Lower Saxony where there are less immigrants and you might see more blond haired & blue eyed folk.

Nothing against brown haired & brown eyed White people. After all they are a large component of the White Race whether they be Germanic, Celtic, Roman, Slavic or Hellenic. If anyone else has more to add concerning my ORIGINAL question please do.

Vingolf
Tuesday, January 16th, 2007, 01:41 AM
Most kids of the "old stock" were blond until their early teens and then darkened to dark blond ("Dishwater blond") I stood out with blonder hair.

In Germany, I have also heard the expression "Strassenköterblond"...:thumbup

North of Bremen towards Hamburg one sees a lot more Nordic type people. The large cities of Niedersachsen had a large influx of Eastern Germans who came in as refugees and there is no doubt some Slavic influence, also. One needs to study the inhabitants of the small towns and villages to get a better picture of how people looked a few generations ago.

In Schleswig-Holstein there has also traditionally been a considerable Danish minority population.

It was only recently that I found out that Slavs (Wends/Sorbs) were present deep into Schleswig Holstein in the 10th century. Whether there was a great physical difference then between the Germanic inhabitants and the Slavs I do not know. My guess is that at that time there were racial differences until the distinction became almost nil due to intermarriage.

Within historic times Celts have been driven westward by Teutons/Germanics, who in turn were pressed in the same direction by Slavs. Western Germany and northern France are probably more Teutonic/Germanic than contemporary Eastern Germany. I am not sure about the racial/ethnic situation in Germanic Preussen (Prussia) before the anti-Germanic ethnic cleansing/genocide in 1945. The struggle for predominance between Slavs and Germans along Poland's western boundary is fully a thousand years old.

skal
Thursday, January 25th, 2007, 03:54 PM
@Hyperboreus: Yes, "Strassenköterblond" is fairly common in Germany :D (= street-tyke(?)-blond= ash blond).
Prussia (before 1945) had a clearly eastbaltid influence which is also noticeable in the working class in the Ruhrgebiet and nowadays in whole Germany to a certain percentage because of the turnouts after the WW2.

@Peoples Observer: Loewenherz is quite right... If you believe or not, many pigmented people (especially in large citys like Bremen) are descendant of immigrants in the third(or more) generation. Otherwise I couldn´t notice heavy influence of higher pigmentation in Bremen.

NS: Where did you read this statements about the saxons? I never heard of it :shrug

Skumrask
Thursday, January 25th, 2007, 08:45 PM
You also have to cinsider that it was just Lower Saxony,although it lies in the north of Germany this doesn´t automaticly mean that there is a majority of people with blond hair and blue eyes.
I´m sure there are areas in the south of Germany with more blond-haired and blue-eyed people than in that area around Bremen.

Haduloha
Friday, October 24th, 2008, 09:59 PM
:D

Hi, Peoples Observer, I am from lower saxony and i know the regions wich you mentioned around Bremen. It is a big difference in rural and urban regions. Big cities and the regions around them are in general dirt magnets (sorry for ecxeptions) here and the huge immigration does the rest. It may does not be like in sweden here with the frequency of blond hair, but i think you got some kind of "tunnel view". I got the same too as i was in Stockholm and in regions far away from the Metropol region. I saw clearly a difference.
Once i was very astonished as i saw a kindergarden group in my hometown at the train station, because all 20 children had blond hair. More then i believed ever to see here at one time. I was nearly be tempted to take a picture, but i was afraid to take pictures of little children with so much people around me :D

Hagogoth
Thursday, July 8th, 2010, 11:03 PM
But do not forget the region of East-Frisia (Ost-Friesland) which is one
of the purest nordic and faelish area in the world. I do not believe that
there are real dark haired and dark eyes East-Frisians.
And what about the north of the Netherlands: dark haired and dark eyed
people are very rare with the original country people of the north
of the Netherlands.

Way of Deception
Thursday, July 8th, 2010, 11:37 PM
I'd like to see an example of brown hair & brown eyes.

Germaniathane
Wednesday, May 10th, 2017, 11:14 PM

Brown and brown eyes are found in every single European population, the difference is only in frequency whereas it is less common in the north than in the south. Overall, Northern Germany is still more frequently blond and blue-eyed than Southern Germany, however you'll still find people with brown hair and brown eyes there too. Saxons, Frisians, Franks, Danes are similar people (Germanic) with slight differences not to be exaggerated. Latin admixture is of no importance and Celtic admixture was in minimal in these various Germanic-speaking tribes. Hamburg was also Saxon territory.

Germaniathane
Wednesday, May 10th, 2017, 11:44 PM

Not all Germans are blond by the way, there is a great variation within their population as well. It is a great illusion to think so.
Percentage of blond hair in various German regions (As a whole, 25% of Germans have natural blond hair).

Northern Germany (Lower Saxony, Bremen, Hamburg, Schleswig-Holstein, Mecklenburg-Vorpommern) = 43%
Thuringia = 36%
North-Brandenburg & Berlin area = 33%
Swabia = 32%
North Rhineland = 30%
Bavaria = 30%
Hesse = 22%
Ruhr = 21%
Saxony Free State = 20%
Rhineland-Palatinate = 19%
Baden = 15%
Lusatia = 15%
Frankish Bavaria = 15%