PDA

View Full Version : Surnames link to racial heritage...

MetallicPain
Monday, January 8th, 2007, 04:41 PM
I've researched all the surnames I'm linked to, and most are English in origin, with one being Welsh in origin, and the other appearing to be both significant in England and France.

Is that any indication I'm North West European in Ancestory?

Ragnar Thorsson
Monday, January 8th, 2007, 04:48 PM
Yes and no. A Dutch or English surname shows NW European ancestry. But who knows the females didn't had NW racial classification. I know alot of people who are having a NW european but look rather Atlanto-Med or something in that direction. Just because their grandfather had mixed with an italian for example.

Galaico
Monday, January 8th, 2007, 05:03 PM
Surnames don't link to any racial heritage, just take into account that current surnames started being used not before the 14th century (at least in Spain), while intra-European migration has been taking place since the Upper Paleolithic.

Do surnames link to ethnic heritage? Sure, as ethnicities are much newer than races or sub-races, but you must also take into account what Landsturm said.

Ĉmeric
Monday, January 8th, 2007, 05:08 PM
I've researched all the surnames I'm linked to, and most are English in origin, with one being Welsh in origin, and the other appearing to be both significant in England and France.

Not necessarily. There are many persons in America named Jackson & Washington, "both fine old English names", who are not Northwest European by ancestry.:rollAnd there are persons with French names like Duvalier or Malveaux who have no French ancestry. :D And there are hundreds of millions of persons in the New World with Spanish surnames who have few or no ancestors from Spain. :smilies

Glynd Eastŵd
Monday, January 8th, 2007, 05:44 PM
I agree Madoc. What's in a surname? There are black people in America who have names like 'Jones', 'Summers' and 'Smith' - does that mean that they're automatically from a NW European heritage?

Thruthheim
Monday, January 8th, 2007, 05:59 PM
I agree Madoc. What's in a surname? There are black people in America who have names like 'Jones', 'Summers' and 'Smith' - does that mean that they're automatically from a NW European heritage?

My surname is either Welsh or Norman in origin. I know of a Welsh ancestor, but Norman is just too deep in history.

Oswiu
Monday, January 8th, 2007, 07:09 PM

If all your family are English or British, with no question of anything else, then of course you're NW European! How could you be anything else?

Surnames aren't going to tell you anything about physical anthropology, but they're very good for your regional associations. Try this thread, and follow the link;
http://forums.skadi.net/whats_surname_distribution_maps_modern_a nd_1881-t46896.html

Turul
Monday, January 22nd, 2007, 02:33 PM
I think America is an extraordinary case racially and ethnically. Surnames in Europe have more significance than in America because of America being a modern, bastardized country. Like Glynd Eastŵd and Madoc pointed out just because your name is Washington doesn't mean you are blood-related to Washington the president. But Europe is not yet as racially mixed as America so therefore I tend to believe surnames have more weight when determining ancestry.
On a personal note, my ancestry goes back about a thousand years on my mother's side with a surname unique to my racial heritage. Yet I've found people from the South Pacific islands having the same surname. Now, I doubt very much they have Magyar ancestors!

Enlil
Monday, January 22nd, 2007, 03:45 PM
What's with the surnames White & Black in the US btw? Are they in any way related to if you're.. white or black?

Ĉmeric
Monday, January 22nd, 2007, 03:56 PM
Do you mean if a Black person has the same last name as me are we related? Not necessarily. After the Civil War, many Blacks simply took the surnames of their former owners. Many took the names of famous persons, which is why we have so Negroes named Washington, Jackson, Jefferson. Interestingly, all three were slaveholders. I've never met a Negro named Lincoln, you might think they would have shown some gratitude.:D

Enlil
Monday, January 22nd, 2007, 05:15 PM
What I meant was the specific surnames "White" and "Black", as in James White and Jack Black..

Ĉmeric
Monday, January 22nd, 2007, 05:34 PM
Sorry, I read the question too quickly. Black & White are surnames that came over from Europe. They are simply descriptive. Black could mean dark haired, White might mean fair. The German names Schwarz & Weiss could be Anglized to Black & White. There are White people named Black & because most American Negroes have European names, there are Black people named White. There are also people named Brown & Green.

Some Afro-centrists, like the lake Jamiacan-Mulatto author Joel A. Rogers, claimed that a name like Black implied Black ancestry. And the surname Moore meant a person had Moorish ancestry, but that is all non-sense.

I always though Arnold Schwarzenegger had an interesting surname, schwarz being german for black (Blackenegger:D).

Theudiskaz
Monday, January 22nd, 2007, 05:42 PM
I always though Arnold Schwarzenegger had an interesting surname, schwarz being german for black (Blackenegger:D).
It's broken down properly into "Schwarzen-Egger", that is "Black(-haired) ploughman".;)

Ĉmeric
Monday, January 22nd, 2007, 06:43 PM
Thank you. I always assumed that the "negger" in Arnold's surname didn't mean the same thing as n*gg*r in American English, but it still sounds funny.

Am I the only one who finds it odd that someone with a surname that sounds like a racial slur could get elected governor of California.

karolvs
Friday, February 16th, 2007, 02:05 PM

No, that means a NW European owned them at one point in history. American blacks slaves took the names of their slave owners after they were "freed". That just means that Washington, Jackson, Jones, and Jefferson families had alot of slaves, and fertile slaves whose lines have multiplied more over generations. Their are many black Hudgins (my surname) in Georgia, they are not related ( I know my heritage back to NW Europe) it was my great great great grandfather who owned close to 300 slaves and when they were freed many took our name.

karolvs
Friday, February 16th, 2007, 02:10 PM
What's with the surnames White & Black in the US btw? Are they in any way related to if you're.. white or black?

Alot of Whites come from england, where the name was actually Wyght, or Whyte, mispelling in America was the norm. Thats why lots of German names, Like my Great Grandmother's maiden name Eckrote, were mispelled. My surname was as well, or it might have been Hutchins is mispelled, but mine is Hudgins, which is related to Hutchins, Hudgens, and Hodgens.