PDA

View Full Version : Colours of the Norse Gods

AlbionMP
Saturday, December 9th, 2006, 08:34 PM
Has anyone any information regarding the Colours of the Norse Gods?

Sunwheel
Tuesday, December 12th, 2006, 12:36 PM
Hails.
Thus far I know, there are no colours associated to the norse gods. One exception is Odin. One says, his colour is blue, because he has a dark / blue cloak when he travels across Midgard. It is said, that blue is also the colour of magic and mysticism. Therefor it sounds logical.
A good way to associate the norse gods with colours is to look what the different colours symbolize and to combine them with the attributes of the gods. For example Balder ( the god of light ) and the colour yellow.

AlbionMP
Tuesday, December 12th, 2006, 01:31 PM
Hails.
Thus far I know, there are no colours associated to the norse gods. One exception is Odin. One says, his colour is blue, because he has a dark / blue cloak when he travels across Midgard. It is said, that blue is also the colour of magic and mysticism. Therefor it sounds logical.
A good way to associate the norse gods with colours is to look what the different colours symbolize and to combine them with the attributes of the gods. For example Balder ( the god of light ) and the colour yellow.

Thanks Sunwheel.

I think the Colours are an interesting thing to think about.

Deep Blue sounds right for Odin.

Blood Red, White, Black and Cornfield Yellow may be good for Tyr.

Blood Red, White, Brown, with flashes of Green and Gold sound good for Ing.

Nagelfar
Monday, January 8th, 2007, 09:34 AM
Odin has been called the greybeard. So grey, dark blue and one of his names is 'the brown one' probably associating him as a berserker tribal deity. So blue, brown & grey.

Thor is called the redbeard.

It has been speculated that the Saint Nicolaus symbolism, the reindeer and sleigh, is taken from Heimdall. So the green, white & red may actually be Heimdalls colors. He was indeed called the white one however, and was said to have gold teeth.

Tyr was a sky god, so I think blue.

I believe Forseti actually had tribal colors associated with him, but am not certain what they are now.