PDA

View Full Version : Testosterone, Race & (Sexual) Violence

Enlil
Thursday, December 7th, 2006, 02:10 PM
I've read at different places that blacks have higher levels of testosterone, and that higher rates of testosterone often correspond to more violent behaviour, especially sexual violence like rape. However, googling (at least with my keywords) gives me very crappy sources, and the few articles (like this at AmRen (http://www.amren.com/9212issue/9212issue.html)) I've found simply refer to "studies" without any scientific sources.

Are there any credible studies on sexual offenders & their testosterone levels?
Testosterone leves in different races?
Or do you have anything else to add?

Thanks.

Q.
Thursday, December 7th, 2006, 06:20 PM
There are not all too many articles openly accessible on the net, because too many nasty editors want to hinder dissemination without purchase. ;) But the wherewithal to endorse our stance is nonetheless given and concludable from several studies.
e.g:

"Racial differences in serum PSA levels in men with and without prostate cancer have been investigated previously (6–8). In this study, we further evaluated clinical and histologic findings in African-American men and white men without evidence of prostate cancer upon tissue biopsy. Our results again indicate that African-American men without prostate cancer have higher serum PSA levels and PSA densities than white men without prostate cancer. This finding cannot be explained by ethnic differences in patients’ age, serum testosterone level, or ultrasound- measured prostate volume. Histologic examination of the[...] inflammation is well accepted as being critical for the development of selected genitourinary tract cancers (i.e., those of the bladder) (14,15), no such association has been reported between inflammation and prostate cancer. Indeed, when examining wholemount step sections from 28 African-American men and 63 white men who underwent radical prostatectomy for prostate cancer, Moul et al. (4) found no racial difference in acute or chronic inflammation. Further studies are required to determine if there is an association between prostate inflammation and prostate cancer. Inflammation is not the only reason for the racial differences in PSA levels that we have observed. In multivariate analyses, race, inflammation, and prostate size were independently associated with serum PSA levels. In addition, persistent racial differences in PSA levels were detected when men with inflammation were excluded from the analysis, indicating that inflammation is not the only factor contributing to racial differences in serum PSA levels. Racial differences in serum androgen levels have been investigated previously in several populations (16–19). To examine racial variations in serum testosterone levels, Ellis and Nyborg (16) evaluated 4462 male army enlistees. They noted a significantly higher level of serum testosterone in African-American men than in other racial groups. Similarly, Ross et al. (19) found that young African-American men had a 15% higher serum testosterone level than white men. Racial differences in serum testosterone levels, however, were noted only in men 40 years of age or younger. After age 40, African-American men and white men had comparable serum testosterone levels..."
(source) (http://jncicancerspectrum.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/reprint/jnci;90/10/756.pdf)
check out the pdf for tables-

or

"...BACKGROUND. Prostate-specific antigen (PSA) is a good objective measure of tumor cell burden or virulence of disease, or both, in prostate cancer. Many differences between whites and African Americans (AA) have been noted in prostate cancer in the United States, including a poorer outcome in African Americans. To study whether AAs present with more tumor cell burden or more virulent disease, or both, at presentation, serum PSA levels between whites and African Americans are compared. METHODS. Ninety-two patients were seen during April 1988-August 1993 at Albert Einstein Medical Center, Philadelphia; these patients were identified from computer registration records in 1994. Fifty-five patients were AAs and 37 were whites: 14, 55, 15, and 8 had stage A, B, C, or D[1] disease, respectively, and 29, 45, and 17 had grade 1, 2, or 3 tumors. Because of positive skewing of actual PSA values, logarithmic transformation was used in statistical analysis. Two sample t-tests and analysis of variance (ANOVA) were used as appropriate. RESULTS. In univariate analysis, stage (P = 0.043), grade (P = 0.03), and race (P = 0.029) were correlated with the PSA levels; higher-stage and -grade patients and those of African American ethnicity had higher mean PSA levels; type of biopsy and age did not influence PSA levels. On multivariate analysis, race retained its statistical significance (P = 0.05), whereas other factors lost their significance. White patients had 0.51 times lower PSA levels than those of African Americans with comparable stage and grade tumors. Using ANOVA, an average white patient with stage B, grade 1 tumor is likely to have a PSA value of 7.92 ng/ml, compared to 13.9 ng/ml in an African American of similar stage and grade tumor. CONCLUSIONS. The findings of the study confirm previously reported, similar findings in the greater Chicago area. The causes of such racial differences are unknown and require study with individual-level socioeconomic status adjustments, although preliminary studies suggest sociological causes. An ongoing Radiation Therapy Oncology Group (RTOG) study will determine whether such differences exist at the national level and will adjust for individual levels of socioeconomic status."
Racial differences in prostate-specific antigen levels in patients with local-regional prostate cancer (http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=2651355)

Serum testosterone levels in healthy young black and white men. (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=3455741&dopt=Citation)
Serum androgens and sex hormone-binding globulins in relation to lifestyle factors in older African-American, white, and Asian men in the United States and Canada. (http://cebp.aacrjournals.org/cgi/reprint/4/7/735)

One can draw on this study for association of sex steroids with aggressiveness:
Estrogen or Testosterone Increases Self-Reported Aggressive Behaviors in Hypogonadal Adolescents (http://jcem.endojournals.org/cgi/content/full/82/8/2433)

Q.

SaveEurope
Friday, December 8th, 2006, 05:38 AM
I've heard about this a lot but never actually read any articles on it. Thanks.

Fred
Friday, December 15th, 2006, 09:29 AM
I do not believe that testosterone is the sole reason for violence at all. I do not believe at all, in the other hand, that economy is the reason for violence neither.

For exemple, here in Europe, I don't really observe Blacks to be more violent than Whites, though Arabs are definitely more violent. I think there is a socio-cultural element (Dude I start to sound like a leftie now lol) as well.
For exemple, White women are seen as the sole ideal of attraction (arab and black women are inexistant), while this is not true for white men: There is too much sexual competition (white women vs all race of men); the presence of recent foreign elements enhance vastly the sexual competition. This is one cause of violence IMO. Low class immigration (higher ratio of men in that class) is a cause of violence.

Now, Black people in Europe and in America are probably of a different type. In my country, they mostly come from Zaire/Congo; they are not a particularly aggressive type.

A french sociologist named Alain Soral (a really great and intelligent guy who was just thrown out from french media for joining the National Front a month ago; if you can understand French I really encourage you to read/listen to him through Internet) told his theory that women were more likely to "get out of the ghetto" than men, which create a higher men-to-women ratio, breeding more sexual competition, therefore violence. Incidentally, I made the same theory in this board few month ago.

I don't discard the testosterone theory but there is more to it. Arabs are far more violent and aggressive than Black somehow.