PDA

View Full Version : Mercury Levels in Fish and Other Protein Sources

Krampus
Tuesday, February 17th, 2004, 01:21 AM
I tend to eat a lot of fish like herring, sardines, canned tuna, cod, farm raised Salmon and fresh Atlantic Salmon when budget permits. How much fish do you think is permissible for a person to eat without worrying about mercury levels?
http://msnbc.msn.com/id/3076632/

Lately the news media seems to be paranoid about fish, particularly farm raised salmon as well as the estrogen levels in chicken and the notorious mad cow disease with beef. What do you people eat for protein in your diet and do you worry about mercury levels, estrogen and mad cow? Even soy protein apparently has estrogen in it.

Sigrun Christianson
Tuesday, February 17th, 2004, 03:06 AM
That really sucks, huh? I love fish, too. My Mom is freaking out because I eat a lot of tuna. Now she tells me I can't eat it more than twice per week because she read an article like that.

The media likes to take small things and blow them out of proportion. I'd say, eat what you like and don't worry about it as long as you get your vitamin and mineral levels tested each year. Make sure it's properly prepared & thoroughly cooked, too.

Ewergrin
Tuesday, February 17th, 2004, 06:29 AM
I guess I should stop breaking open thermometers and dumping the contents into rivers and lakes.

:retard

Sigrun Christianson
Tuesday, February 17th, 2004, 06:20 PM
I guess I should stop breaking open thermometers and dumping the contents into rivers and lakes. I knew you had something to do with it! :rotfl