PDA

View Full Version : Learning Icelandic

Erlingr Hrbararson
Friday, April 29th, 2005, 12:14 AM
nicely said. i like your style, EH. i am interested in what you said about inn. but unfortunately i do not know Norwegian. would i be out of place to ask about a translation? don't want to annoy anyone being that i'm new and all.

Norwegian? This is old norse. This is much closer to modern icelandic then tis to norsk. Could you not recognise the tongue of Grskjegg!? I wil translate it for you now and make a posting for this beneath...

HIM
Friday, April 29th, 2005, 12:20 AM
Norwegian? This is old norse. This is much closer to modern icelandic then tis to norsk. Could you not recognise the tongue of Grskjegg!? I wil translate it for you now and make a posting for this beneath...

oh ok. i thought it looked more like Icelandic than Norwegian, but i just assumed it was Norwegian. i didn't even think about when this was written. thanks for the help!! :D

HIM
Friday, April 29th, 2005, 12:56 AM
Here is this. But if you wish to learn the wisdom and beauty of Fjlsvirs ways, I think on that you should learn His languages and understand His words from Him self and not another for what He tells of is as personall as tis wise for alltime.

well, i bought some books on Icelandic a while back and i just now bought some language learning cd-roms on Icelandic and Norwegian, but i'd LOVE to learn old norsk!! what do you recommend i do to help me learn? i haven't seen much material on it.

Nttfari
Friday, April 29th, 2005, 01:32 AM
r, HIM, getit reynt at lra forn-slenzku, en varak yr vit, at er erfitt ok krefjandi verkefni, ok vilk heldr sr at mar af nu kyni lri mlit... forn-slenzka er mn tunga, eigi yvar.

Erlingr Hrbararson
Friday, April 29th, 2005, 01:37 AM
well, i bought some books on Icelandic a while back and i just now bought some language learning cd-roms on Icelandic and Norwegian, but i'd LOVE to learn old norsk!! what do you recommend i do to help me learn? i haven't seen much material on it.

:laugh: Now you are mixing with every thing upp. Slow down before you hurt your self. ;) I believe you are meaning old norse, or ancient icelandic. Norsk, bokml osv. are different to ancient and modern icelandic. Step one: before you learn language, know what the language is called. :D

HIM
Friday, April 29th, 2005, 02:42 AM
:laugh: Now you are mixing with every thing upp. Slow down before you hurt your self. ;) I believe you are meaning old norse, or ancient icelandic. Norsk, bokml osv. are different to ancient and modern icelandic. Step one: before you learn language, know what the language is called. :D

too late! i already have a headache now. :speechles haha! but you have a good point. i gotta know what i'm learning! anyways, i was thinking norse and norsk were synonomous. but i am very interested in learning any and/or all of the ancient and/or modern languages of scandinavia.

Erlingr Hrbararson
Friday, April 29th, 2005, 03:01 AM
r, HIM, getit reynt at lra forn-slenzku, en varak yr vit, at er erfitt ok krefjandi verkefni, ok vilk heldr sr at mar af nu kyni lri mlit... forn-slenzka er mn tunga, eigi yvar. a ltur illa t. :laugh: g er sammla r. Hann er klikkaur og gerum a besta r essu. Hinsvergar, bl itt (mener HERs) er eitra norrnni arfleif og mr lkar etta ekki.