PDA

View Full Version : NS Occult-Inspired Roleplaying Game: Karotechia

Dr. Solar Wolff
Sunday, January 30th, 2005, 07:51 AM
SHORT HISTORY OF THE KAROTECHIA

Note: this was mailed to me by my friend Greg after is was blocked by my email provider. Karotechia is now a favorite for computer gamers so any google search will yeild gamers rather than facts. Greg is about 56 years old and was trained by a former SS man whom we call call "Paul". Paul was from a Baltic country, served in the SS (Ostland Division?), immigrated to the USA, served in the US Army during Viet Nam, returned to his homeland after the Soviet Union broke up. When Greg was in contact with him, he verified the existence of Karotechia to Greg. Greg took this from somewhere on the internet. I am not recommending that you accept this or reject it. I am not claiming this is all absolutely true as stated but I do think there are true aspects to this story.

The roots of the Karotechia are deep and varied. When the unit was officially created within the Ahnenerbe in 1939, it drew its members from within the Ahnenerbe, the disbanded Thulegesellschaft, and a little known section of Archive Department VII of the Reichssicherheitshauptamt (RSHA, Reich Security Central Office) called Sonderkommando-H. Created in 1935 under direct orders from Heinrich Himmler, Sonderkommando-H (for Hexen, German for witches) collected records of the Catholic Inquisition against witchcraft from libaries in Germany and Austria. These records were collated into the Hexenkartothek, a catalog of over 33,000, each providing the details of a victim of the witch trials. While most of the Hexenkartothek concentrated on witch trials in Germany, Sonderkmmando-H researched cased from as far away as India and Mexico.

The research of Sonderkommando-H was meant to provide propaganda that would justify an SS crackdown on the Catholic Church, as well as discover the ancient Germanic religion that Himmler believed had been eradicated by the Inquisition. The SS officers that collected the Hexenkartothek came to informally refer tho themselves as the "Karothekia", and what they discovered were arcane formulae and necromantic rituals. Enough was learned by Sonderkommando-H to create what some one hundred and fifty known witches, warlocks, and alchemists termed "the resuscitating of ye vital saylts". This formulae was first successfully put to effect by SS-Hauptscharfueher Dieter Scheel when his team resurrected a 17the century sorceror Jurgen Tess. It was this incident that created a new department within the Ahnenerbe to exploit the occult in service to the Reich: the Karotechia.

Occult research had been conducted by various arms of the SS for quite some time before the creation of Karoechia. In the Ahnenerbe, the Abteilung zur Ueberpruefung der Sogenannten Geheimwissenschaften (Department for the Examination of the So-Called Secret Sciences) had analyzed the occult since 1933. Also since 1933, Karl Maria Willigut and his Department for Pre- and Early History had been Himmler's premier occultist, a position that was undermined soon after the creation of the Karotechia. Suitable members of these organizations were drawn to the Karotechia, as were former members of the Thulegesellschaft and scholars from Nazi-allied regimes and occupied countries. Kabbalists and Gypsy practitioners were even forcibly recruited out of concentration camps, as well as those occultists rounded up through Aktion Hess.

Moreso than any other group researching the paranormal for their govenment during the Second Wold War, the Karotechia sought ot exploit the occult to its fullest. With the full backing of the SS and the Nazi state, they raided the libraries and museums of Europe in an insatiable serach for arcane power. No avenue of study was left unexplored, no matter how ridiculous it might seem to the more established academics of the Ahnenerbe. The Karotechia was shielded from inquiry within and without by direct patronage of Himmler, who passed certain information on to Hitler (the Fuehrer remained basically unaware of the Karotechia). Members of the Kartechia were known by their initials in SS documents, and by their rune-names in internal correspondence, the names given upon induction into the unit. They were identified by the sonnenrad runes worn on the lapels of their black Allgemeine-SS uniforms. This insignia and the men that wore it were equally feared and respected throughout the SS.

The Karotechia never had a central headquarters, as each project maintained its own base of operations, reporting directly to Himmler. When the Karotechia was required to perform some ancient Germanic ritual for Himmler (virtually always ineffectual), they were called to the SS-order castle at Wewelsburg. However, the insolation and provincial boredom of the place meant that the Kartechia officers perferred to conduct their operations elsewhere. This also allowed them to operate with great independence.

Never as successful as heir reputatin belied, the Karotechia did score a number of impressive victories during the war. In particular was the discovery of a Gothic version of the Necronomicon in the spring of 1944, which opened up several new projects to exploit its potential. Most of thse projects ended in failure, causing great destruction, such as the incident at Castle Naudabaum in early 1945, where seven Karotechia officers and seventy-three support personnel were killed and the castle destroyed during an abortive attempt ot summon and extraterrestrial being called Azathoth.

This disaster led to the final Karotechia operation of the war: Aktion Gotterdammerung, the attempt by the Krotechia to reenact the Naudabaum disaster without aborting the sequence to summon Azathoth. Aktion Gotterdammerung was foiled by the American Delta Green organization. In the end, of the one hundred and sixty-four members of the Karotechia, fifty-four were assassinated by the Allies, six died of natural causes, three died during Allied bombing, four were executed for disloyalty, fifteen were killed while conducting experiments, nine committed suicide, eleven were institutionalized, twenty-four vanished while on operations, and thirty-seven escaped the destruction of Nazi Germany through the ODESSA network.

Note: Somewhere I have heard that Karotechia members were somewhat feared within the SS post-war world and formed a sub-culture within that culture.

If anyone has even heard of Kartechia, please comment. Other comments, pro or con,are also welcome. I have never been able to verify the existence of the American organization mentioned, Delta Green.

Oskorei
Sunday, January 30th, 2005, 03:07 PM
Great article, Doctor! :tthumbsup

It is as you yourself say, we do not have to believe it 100%, but it still is of great historical value.

Rollon
Tuesday, February 8th, 2005, 11:37 PM
I strongly doubt that the SS attempted to summon Azathoth with the use of a Gothic version of the Necronomicon, since Lovecraft's name at that time was still that of an obscure pulp writer. ;)

Otherwise, the material here is interesting. I had heard about Himmler's investigations on witch trials. That's a fascinating topic.

I should add that Lovecraft's own views on witch trials depart greatly from those of Himmler. According to Lovecraft, witch cults, which he associated to ancient fertility cults of Semitic origin, were an attempt by pre-Aryan remnants in Europe to undermine the Western civilization that had overcome them.

Draco
Thursday, February 10th, 2005, 03:40 AM
While I have no doubt this is a classic case of "a kernel of truth", I highly doubt 73 people were killed trying to summon a fictional extra-dimensional being from a fictional book. Also, why would the Inquisition be needed as propaganda to justify a crackdown on the Church which had (rightfully IMO) been going on for years for realistic and relevant reasons anyway?

The historical (and thus true) parts, while far less dramatic (archiving books is a rather mundane affair) are of more interest to me.

Rather read what Himmler collected then ponder the script from Hellboy. ;)

Rollon
Wednesday, February 16th, 2005, 07:09 PM
Herr Doktor, could you provide us with some Karotechia members' names ? For instance, is Reinhard Gehlen a real individual ?

When I look on Internet for Karotechia, I only find roleplaying game trivia. :(

Feldherr
Wednesday, February 16th, 2005, 09:50 PM
Reinhard Galt
SS-Oberführer, Karotechia

Born in 1911, Reinhard Galt grew up on the brutal streets of a Germany ruined by war and economic depression. Attracted by Hitler's theories of racial superiority, Galt joined the SS at eighteen. He was quickly chosen for officer candidate school, and served with distinction in Poland and France, earning the Iron Cross 1st Class with Oak Leaves and Swords. This distinction also made his commanding officer jealous, and Galt found himself transferred to the Karotechia before the invasion of Russian in 1941.

The Karotechia assigned Galt to "special tasks", the looting and theft of artifacts and tomes in Europe, the Middle East, and Africa. Galt also carried out the assassinations of enemy agents, including the murder of two Delta Green agents in Algeria. While Galt recieved kudos for acquiring more finds than any other agent of the Karotechia, the self-centered young officer soon realized the true power of the forces he was involved with, and was never above retaining certain items and knowledge for his own benefit.

In 1945, SS-Oberführer Galt lead an expedition into the Belgian Congo to find the Anziques tribe spoken of in Pigafetta's Regnum Congo. Neither he nor any member of the expedition were ever seen again.

References: Delta Green, pp. 106-109

STR: 16DEX: 14CON: 18SIZ: 14INT: 15APP: 17POW: 12EDU: 14SAN: 60HP: 16

DOB: 1911
Race: Caucasian
Nationality: German
Damage Bonus: +1d4
Education: SS Officer Candidate School
Skills: Climb 86%, Conceal 68%, Fast Talk 53%, First Aid 72%, Hide 91%, Jump 74%, Locksmith 52%, Mechanical Repair 41%, Operate Heavy Machinery (Drive Tank/Armored Vehicle) 39%, Persuade 56%, Psychology 34%, Sneak 82%, Spot Hidden 86%, Throw 59%, Torture 78%, Track 72%
Languages: Arabic 31%, English 36%, German 89%, Portuguese 43%, Spanish 41%
Attacks:
Bayonet 57%, 1d4+2+db
Combat Knife 58%, 1d4+2+db
Mauser Kar98K rifle 66%, 2d6+4
MP40 submachine gun 47%, 1d10
MG42 General Purpose Machine Gun 42%, 2d6+4
Heavy Weapon 44%, (damage varies)
P08 Luger pistol 92%, 1d10
Spells: None
Magic Items: None
Physical Description: Galt is 6'3" tall and weighs 190 pounds. With his close-cropped blond hair, athletic physique and smooth Germanic features, Galt is the epitome of the Aryan ideal. His handsome appearance is marred solely by his constant expression of superior disdain. He is fond of Turkish cigarettes.

home.comcast.net/~furrylogic/karotechia.html (http://home.comcast.net/~furrylogic/karotechia.html)

Respect Feldherr

Dr. Solar Wolff
Thursday, February 17th, 2005, 05:11 AM
Herr Doktor, could you provide us with some Karotechia members' names ? For instance, is Reinhard Gehlen a real individual ?

When I look on Internet for Karotechia, I only find roleplaying game trivia. :(

Reinhard Gehlen (spelled correctly I hope) was certainly a real person. In fact, Gehlen set up the post-war German Intelligence service in its present from which still exists today.

Karotechia is a big mystery to me and that was the reason I posted what I had heard about it. Much more information is required.

Right now Karotechia is only one grade better than Sonderbuero, aka Uranus 13, aka U-13. This was a legendary group for which people have been searching for proof since the 1950s. To date, no real proof but a lot of circumstantial proof.

Rollon
Thursday, February 17th, 2005, 05:53 PM
Wait a minute.

Feldherr, you're posting info about a certain Reinhard Galt, who's nothing but a roleplay character (from Delta Green, an adaptation of Call of Cthulhu to contemporary times). You even give us his game characteristics ?!!? :-O I'm sorry, but this is no good. I don't want to fancy in such ravings. I even find these imaginations sacrilegious, because if the Karotechia exists it's sort of the elite of the elite, do you realize ?

I was talking about Reinhard Gehlen. Yes, he was an Intelligence officer for the Reich, but I've also found that he was a member of the Karotechia (that's the only name I could find, and of course the whole stuff is dubious).

Here is the link :

http://www.greatdreams.com/constellations/aldebaran.htm

Scroll down to the article "Vril Society". Gehlen and the Karotechia are mentioned there.

The article also says that Oberth and von Braun have hinted at a Reich-extraterrestrial technological collaboration. In my opinion, if such relationships were a reality (don't make me say I believe this is true ; simply, I don't dismiss the possibility), the NS would have needed to put in charge of carrying on these relationships with the extraterrestrial beings a special unit, kept largely secret, as the whole stuff would have to remain secret, for obvious reasons. Then the Karotechia could have been that unit, with that purpose.

But without more convincing elements on the Karotechia, I am obliged to regard the whole issue as nothing more than the unholy fantasies of game designers.

Dr. Solar Wolff
Tuesday, October 25th, 2005, 06:35 AM
Hello and i hope i'm not too late on this topic.Maybe the whole discussion degenarated into a farce, but i think i remember some piece of info on this topic on the book "Dreamer of the day" about F.P.Yockey.Since the book is 200Km away,i'm gonna get it in a few days,find the info and get back on this one with a more extensive post.

It is never too late DXM. I can't wait to hear what you have.

Fenris
Wednesday, October 26th, 2005, 02:01 AM
I have the Delta Green sourcebook wherein the information on the Karotechia lies, it also has Majestic-12 in there as well, as an alien-friendly organisation of the government who has every intention of holding one over on the people, while Delta Green are a more people-friendly organisation who investigate the really weird stuff, and were basically kicked out of the government by MJ12.

The Karotechia - by the books content - also happen to have a zombie Josef Mengele, are run by people who prolong their lives through sorcery and cannibalism, and are guided by the ghost of Hitler - who is actually just a face of the Great Old One Nyarlathotep, the Crawling Chaos. They also have a secret island base and a submarine. it's pure Cthulhu Mythos fiction.

I'd dearly love the Karotechia to be a real organisation, but it's going to be extremely hard digging up information on such an organisation if it did exist, as I'm sure any records would have been torched to prevent them falling into allied hands, denying the enemy the power therein.

If indeed it DID exist, then I give kudos to the game developers who wrote the Delta Green supplement for preserving elements of it in a work that is going to be completely overlooked by the zionists - especially when the Karotechia is put forth as one of the two main evil organisations in the book (the other being MJ12, controlled by the Fungi from Yuggoth, the My Go).

I fear you may have been had, my friend, though I do hold a candle of hope that you have not, and that it may be possible to unearth facts about a real world organisation of such thorough occult investigation.

Rollon
Wednesday, October 26th, 2005, 08:40 PM
I'd dearly love the Karotechia to be a real organisation, but it's going to be extremely hard digging up information on such an organisation if it did exist, as I'm sure any records would have been torched to prevent them falling into allied hands, denying the enemy the power therein.

The Karotechia is fantasy, but the wankers who invented it, taking their inspiration in a bit of Lovecraft and a lot of gonzo movies, have no idea what the Germanic spirit bred when given free rein by a genuine Germanic regime.

I am afraid the literature I am talking about is not available except in German. Even in German it seems hard to find enough for the big picture.

The whole project of flying disks and the actual building of these machines has a lot to see with esoteric teachings.

Fenris
Thursday, October 27th, 2005, 12:47 AM
The Karotechia is fantasy, but the wankers who invented it, taking their inspiration in a bit of Lovecraft and a lot of gonzo movies, have no idea what the Germanic spirit bred when given free rein by a genuine Germanic regime.

I think it would have been a little harder to publish had they written favourably of the Karotechia rather than turning it into the Zombie Reich of Doom. They also wrote disfavourably of the American Government, and the Majestic 12, and their control by subversive aliens - which if one looks at it at its core message - could really quite easily be taken to be a metaphor for Zionist control, while the good, wholesome Americans of Delta Green who are trying to protect the nation from aliens and abusive "outsiders" were kicked out of the government by MJ12 and are persecuted as a proscribed organisation now.

I am afraid the literature I am talking about is not available except in German. Even in German it seems hard to find enough for the big picture.

The whole project of flying disks and the actual building of these machines has a lot to see with esoteric teachings.

I concur, the reality of the flying disk had - in my opinion - little to do with the more esoteric studies of the SS and the Ahnenerbe, and more to do with seeking a better, more effective flying machine. The Germans came up with so many good ideas that the Allies stole the ones they came across. Take the origins of the B2 Stealth Bomber, for example - pure plagiarism of a late WW2 design.