PDA

View Full Version : Whale Slaughter in the Faroe Islands

Glynd Eastŵd
Saturday, November 4th, 2006, 01:32 PM
Article here (http://archives.cnn.com/2000/NATURE/09/11/faroe.islands.enn/index.html).

Boche
Saturday, November 4th, 2006, 02:05 PM
I'd prefer slaughtering a retarded human-being like those slayers , than a whale.

Gruß,
Svartr

Mortuary
Saturday, November 4th, 2006, 04:01 PM
I'd prefer slaughtering a retarded human-being like those slayers , than a whale.

You should start right with this mentally retarded sodomists.

Wilfried
Saturday, November 4th, 2006, 04:23 PM
We all know that its no longer necessary to kill whales in order to survive. There are hundrets of other possibilities to get food. I wonder wether they go on hunting to provoke international resultions. Possible, that small nations feel wrongfully constricted in their traditions: they hunt whales since they can think! Its quite easy for nations like Germany, that doesn´t hunt at all, to agree to a ban. But those traditional hunters like Norway, Iceland and Japan (?) have a totally different relation to it. On the other hand, especially those nations with a closer relation to the whales must see, that if they go on hunting, their childrens children will face an empty sea. In todays newspaper i read in the middle of the century there wont be any fishes in the worlds seas, at all - if we go on fishing like we do now. In my opinion, its irresponsible to ignore the bans. They´d better investigate in science: we dont even know a lot about some of the whaletypes which are soon going to be extinct. But that is utopish: its not about the whales, at all, its about traditions and people wont give them up easily. They´ll give them up, when the core of it is gone: the whale.

Æmeric
Saturday, November 4th, 2006, 04:31 PM
I thought hunting was a noble pursuit, part of our Germanic heritage? Fishing & whaling is how the people of the Faroe Islands have traditionally made their livelihood. The pictures look messy but cutting up an animal carcass is messy & something most people would rather not see. Where do you people think the meat in your local supermarket comes from?

Hunting whales into extinction does'nt make sense but banning it altogether is infringing on the rights of the Norse people living in the North Atlantic.

Mortuary
Saturday, November 4th, 2006, 04:46 PM
Although there is a cultural pluralism one with intellect knows, they are practising some bullshit of a tradition. I'd even go that far and compare whaleslaughtering with the mutilation of muslim women in africa. The time of enlightment taught us, to use our minds, not just follow some kinky drive that has been practised over hundreds of years. Infact this is a regression in evolution, where children are taught to become primitive with the pretext of initiation.

Where do you people think the meat in your local supermarket comes from?
Cows and pigs, a reproductive meat ressource reared on farms.

Lethargie
Saturday, November 4th, 2006, 04:49 PM
I wish to say: I`m, a member of Greenpeace! Think, what you want!

I DO anything for animals!

I will fight!

Æmeric
Saturday, November 4th, 2006, 06:05 PM
Although there is a cultural pluralism one with intellect knows, they are practising some bullshit of a tradition. I'd even go that far and compare whaleslaughtering with the mutilation of muslim women in africa.

Comparing whale hunting to female genital mutilation is ridiculous. :thumbdown

Boche
Saturday, November 4th, 2006, 06:34 PM
Why? It's both useless. Traditional Paganists stand for animal preservation. They're killing an animal which probably won't exist in future anymore.
That has nothing to do with tradition anymore.

Gruß,
Svartr

oneeyeisbetter
Saturday, November 4th, 2006, 10:20 PM
I have been swimming with whales by myself before and I have to say they are majestic ancient creatures that deserve to live. If the Norse peoples need to make a living maybe they should branch out into different colonies on the continents and fight for living space.

Its easier to hunt non europids plus its more noble.

HowlingOskorei
Sunday, November 5th, 2006, 02:50 AM
Alright...

The Faroese are only killing 1000-2000 whales a year, far from driving them to extinction.

Ever been to the Faroe Islands? Pretty desolate, hard to grow crops, and not many other food sources.

How about a better crusade? Fight the Zionists who run the corporations who's factories pollute the water. This mercury gets into the whale, Faroese person eats the meat from this whale, he or she gets sick. It's projected that they will have to stop whaling soon because of the levels of mercury showing up.

HowlingOskorei
Sunday, November 5th, 2006, 02:54 AM
Why? It's both useless. Traditional Paganists stand for animal preservation. They're killing an animal which probably won't exist in future anymore.
That has nothing to do with tradition anymore.

Gruß,
Svartr

Heh...

Pagan Faroese hunted whales.

Boche
Sunday, November 5th, 2006, 02:58 AM
Yes. "hunted". If Faroe Pagans still hunt them now. I won't consider them as pagans. Fools would fit better.
If they murder the whole existence of the whales, it will change the Natural Order. Which is far away from being pagan.

Gruß,
Svartr

HowlingOskorei
Sunday, November 5th, 2006, 03:12 AM
Last time I checked, humans were part of the "Natural Order".

They're not hunting whales to extinction, not by a long shot. You're talking 1000-2000 whales per annum. That and they will eventually have to stop, not because they will be extinct, but because the Zionist run corporations are pumping mercury into the water which gets into the whales. That is throwing off the Natural Order more than anything.

I forgot to mention that my biological father was Faroese.

Slætartind
Thursday, October 16th, 2008, 08:53 PM
Watch these two:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8u-YF5epOnk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlJIHkGgGx8

Well what could i say?... hmm

I´ll give my opinion.
Faroese have been hunting whales for years. Pilot whales not DOLPHINES.
Pilot whales are not an endangered speicies.
Also whale killings are done by the law so they don´t suffer. You cut their throut at a specific point on the whale so it dies as fast as possible.

Now we could do a more industrial/commercial type of whale hunting if we wante to. But we don´t... we do it in a traditional way securing that we don´t endanger the species.

They don´t suffer.

Whales live in freedome before they are killed... I agree that it looks realy brutal with all the blood.... in one of those you can see a aeial photo where you can see the blood of the whales from airplane.

But the traditinal ways of farming are far worse to animals... Small cute yellow chickens that are being breed just to kill them.. who live in captivity all their lifes and pigs that are being clamed into far to small cages in order to make production cheaper.

So my conclution/view point is that if you are not a vegetarian then you should stop condeming us killing whales.

BerserkerGangr
Monday, October 27th, 2008, 01:28 AM
First of all we don't do any kind of commercial whale hunting! We only hunt pilot whales when they venture onto our shores and somebody happens to see them, which is rare because of fog and bad weather.

It's not a bullshit tradition Mortuary this is honouring our ancestors who would not survive the harsh winter without pilot whale meat.

The talk of us making the pilot whales extinct is ridiculous, they are not anywhere near the risk of extinction. If they should become at risk I will side with all the leftist greenpeace people, since I believe in preservation (that includes human races and ethnicities morons tend to think humans don't apply)

The mercury is a problem but people eat very little pilot whale these days and many don't like it. Besides I think our food culture and water supply is healthier than many other countries. I do like and eat pilot whale rarely (1-2 dishes a year) but it's not really my favourite dish except for tvøst (dried see below).

I would be willing to cut down on whaling maybe every other year it is banned, but I don't think anyone in my country will agree because it will be considered a defeat for the country.

I will be uploading this documentary called pilot whale hunting through 50 years (9 min) within a month or two to youtube . . . from a dvd, maybe I will put subtitles, I'll post it here or maybe not since it might fuel the greenpeace crowd, I haven't watched it yet anyway /rant.

“In this country we need to set uniform mercury exposure levels. The children in the study had average exposure levels that are similar to the current limit used by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, and 95 percent of them were below the current limit used by the Food and Drug Administration.”

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/news/press-releases/archives/2004-releases/press02062004.html

SwordOfTheVistula
Monday, October 27th, 2008, 11:00 AM
The best solution would be to privatize whale herds. Then, both sides could be happy. There would be no chance of the whales becoming extinct (the owners of the whale herds would not allow others to kill them, nor wipe out their own stocks) and they could still have their traditional whale meat.

Jagerzen
Wednesday, October 29th, 2008, 03:56 AM
SwordOfTheVistula may be right.
I'm no vegetarian PETA-fan and I fully support the Faroese ethnic tradition (in fact, I'd love to take part in it); but the idea does make sense to appease people worried about the whale population.

Sveyn
Saturday, November 15th, 2008, 03:46 PM
The ritual slaughter of whales is unnecessary in every respect, it can't be compared to that of the slaughter of cattle, sheep and pigs. Can someone tell me how this is humane? At least domesticated farm animals are stunned before they are slaughtered.

Willow
Monday, November 9th, 2009, 03:58 PM
This brutality happens every year, Dantesque, bloody slaughter in the Faroe Islands, which belongs to Denmark .
A country supposedly 'civilized' and a EUROPEAN UNION country. For many people this cruel practice is unknown, how insensitive!
This bloody slaughter is just to attend Moz to 'show' entering adulthood! It's absolutely incredible that nobody dares to do something to prevent this barbaric act that is committed against Calderon, an intelligent dolphin who has the peculiarity of approaching people out of sheer curiosity.

On a group of islands just north of Europe, the traditional bloody whale and dolphin slaughter takes place every year. The Faroe Islands are a part of Denmark, where whaling is banned, but they have laws that are independent of Denmark's laws, so they are allowed to continue with this mass execution. Year after year, thousands of pilot whales, beaked whales and dolphins are chased into the bay by boats, where they are slaughtered.
Metal hooks are driven into the stranded mammals' blowholes before their spines are cut. The animals slowly bleed to death. Whole families are slaughtered, and some whales swim around in their family members' blood for hours. Whales and dolphins are highly intelligent creatures and feel pain and fear every bit as much as we do.

You can sign the petition at this link:

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/denmarks-shame

Willow
Monday, November 9th, 2009, 05:10 PM
Hey - who changed my heading? It's a dolphin slaughter, not whales, although they probably do that too. But anyone whop says they don't suffer - just take a look at the pictures. The dolphins are herded into a bay and then hacked at and mercilesslessly slaughtered..For intelligent creatures, this must be a horrifying experience. I would expect this kind of thing from Asians, but i'm surprised that white Europeans would take part in such an atrocity...

Kogen
Thursday, November 12th, 2009, 05:22 AM
I thought they ate beached whales that are going to die regardless?

Maybe some just do that.

Old Winter
Thursday, November 19th, 2009, 03:34 AM
Its things like this that make me say that the people who do these are the same as those halal and kosher butchers, i thought the West was better but when i see this, the meat industry, forest cutting etc it makes me wonder if that is really true.

http://www.seashepherd.org/

Hauke Haien
Thursday, November 19th, 2009, 08:17 PM
This is not a Western tradition, it is a Faroese tradition. The latter is of infinite importance, the former is entirely worthless.

Wulfram
Thursday, November 19th, 2009, 08:43 PM
This is not a Western tradition, it is a Faroese tradition. The latter is of infinite importance, the former is entirely worthless.

Firstly, I support hunting if it is done for the sake of procuring meat or to cull a species in which overpopulation can cause destruction of habitat as well as starvation within.

But hunting to prove that you are a man is to me an outdated concept, especially considering that there are numerous other ways in which a young Germanic can achieve this.

I think we can safely say that there are a few surviving "traditions" that are not worthy of the image we are trying to convey to the world.

The world does not see tradition here. Instead they see a bunch of "White boys" slitting open the stomachs of dolphins and whales, then allowing them to bleed to death.

They don't die instantly; they are cut 1, 2 or 3 times with thick hocks. And at that time the dolphins produce a cry of pain extremely compatible with the cry of a new born child.

It is also a well known fact that these are endangered animals. This is not manly to me at all.

In my opinion, if a hunter does it for the thrill of the kill (which is obviously the real reason why these Faroese do it) then he should at least give the animal a fighting chance.

Where is the excitement if you do not feel that your life could be in danger? A true thrill-kill hunter would provoke a Grizzly bear into charging him first. This would give him the opportunity to not only prove himself as a man but also his skill as a hunter. If he misses then he risks being killed. This is why most thrill hunters are well camouflaged, so that their prey can't see them and fight back.

Hauke Haien
Thursday, November 19th, 2009, 09:57 PM
But hunting to prove that you are a man is to me an outdated concept, especially considering that there are numerous other ways in which a young Germanic can achieve this.
It does not seem to be an initiation rite, but it is good that you have tried to grasp the meaning.

I think we can safely say that there are a few surviving "traditions" that are not worthy of the image we are trying to convey to the world.

The world does not see tradition here. Instead they see a bunch of "White boys" slitting open the stomachs of dolphins and whales, then allowing them to bleed to death.
I understand, Germanic culture must be destroyed because it makes White Americans look bad.

It is also a well known fact that these are endangered animals.
Which? The article in the first post says that "the number of North Atlantic long-finned pilot whales is unknown".

In my opinion, if a hunter does it for the thrill of the kill (which is obviously the real reason why these Faroese do it) then he should at least give the animal a fighting chance.
Why do you think they are doing it for the thrill of the kill? The reason is not obvious to me.

Wulfram
Thursday, November 19th, 2009, 10:23 PM
It does not seem to be an initiation rite, but it is good that you have tried to grasp the meaning.

If you have grasped it yourself then I am still waiting on your explanation as to why it is of "infinite importance".

I understand, Germanic culture must be destroyed because it makes White Americans look bad.

I had a feeling you would argue it that way.
I was only speaking of this pathetic spectacle of defenseless animals being sliced up without getting a fighting chance.
This to me has all the integrity of a sucker punch.

Which? The article in the first post says that "the number of North Atlantic long-finned pilot whales is unknown".

My source said endangered but upon making a search, I could find no evidence of this. My apologies.

Why do you think they are doing it for the thrill of the kill? The reason is not obvious to me.

WHen you were a child did you ever get the urge to step on an insect?
I used to hunt when I was a kid and I can tell you that my feelings whenever I killed an animal were nothing less than ecstatic.
Have you ever participated in something similar? How do you know they aren't doing it for the thrill of it?

The images below do not speak of honor to me.

http://i539.photobucket.com/albums/ff355/williamofwaco/image0075.jpg

http://i539.photobucket.com/albums/ff355/williamofwaco/image0059.jpg

http://i539.photobucket.com/albums/ff355/williamofwaco/image00410.jpg

Hauke Haien
Thursday, November 19th, 2009, 10:39 PM
If you have grasped it yourself then I am still waiting on your explanation as to why it is of "infinite importance".
It is important that the Faroese remember it, not much else. BerserkerGangr has revealed some of it, I think.

The images below do not speak of honor to me.
My point exactly, they do not speak to you the way they speak to them.

Huginn ok Muninn
Thursday, November 19th, 2009, 10:52 PM
Faeroe Islanders are fishermen. Whales and dolphins compete with them for the fish. I knew a Norwegian who thought of whales as pests. I suppose when this is your living, things take on a more immediate concern than whether or not your actions are consistent with Norse paganism or some concept of honor. That's not to say this is still a good or necessary thing, but it should be studied as should the whale populations so things can be kept in balance.

I think a lot of people would be horrified at the process by which meat comes to their table. They don't have cameras in slaughterhouses, so there are fewer tears for those animals.

Kogen
Friday, November 20th, 2009, 03:12 PM
I am still curious about the source of these whales.

Are they actually being hunted or are they beached? They are being killed on a beach here, not in the ocean.

If so, I am not sure how starving to death with birds pecking at them is any worse.

And just to point out: dolphins and whales are not fish.

johanpeturdam
Monday, November 23rd, 2009, 07:29 PM
Someone undoubtedly already wrote about this, but I'm gonna make a short comment anyway:

There's NO industrial whale hunt in the Faroes, unlike in Japan or Chile.

There are NO scouting ships or boats actively searching for schools of whales (yes, that is the term). Instead people rely on their eyes, in case a school enters the sounds between the islands, but, and this is important: It's necessary to get a permit from the local police constable (sýslumaður) before you can drive the school to a beach.

The constable may allow or deny a kill. However, sometimes whales are beached but not killed, this is because our university and other institutions have an agreement with the police constables, that they are allowed to do research on the whales, and also planting transmitters on them so as to study their movement in the ocean.

The 'chopping the whales with picks' or whatever that guy/chick wrote early is either a) totally ignorant or b) based on seriously outdated information. There exists only one way to kill a whale: Severing it's main artery. The process is very effective and it takes a maximum of 30 seconds for the animal to die.

Of course, severing the main artery causes immense bleeding, but it's no different than bludgeoning (I think is the word) a cow or a pig at a slaughterhouse. Only difference, of course, being that the whales' blood colours the bay red, while the blood of a cow or pig 'vanishes' into a drain.

After the hunt is finished, the meat is divided among the people of the surrounding area. First, the people who found it get a share, then the participants in the kill, then the rest is divided between the villages in the surrounding area, and depending on the number of whales killed, this area can be quite big, so it's not like someone gets an over-share or anything.

Also, the postulation that whales and dolphins supposedly are as smart as humans, is in my opinion not very likely, and does seem to be a result of entertainment anthropomorphising the animals. I'm here mainly thinking about Flipper and Willy (AKA Keiko).

So to sum up: No we don't kill all the whales, some are left alone and are studied. Whale meat is not just for the killers, but for everyone. The distribution system is very solidaric.

I know, that to some people I'm speaking to deaf ears, but I also know, that there are some ears willing to listen.

Someone mentioned Sea Shepherd. Those freaks are as bad as Al-Kaïda, and frankly, they're exploiting the whales in a much worse degree than both we (supposedly) and the Japanese are.

Ulfvaldr
Tuesday, November 24th, 2009, 11:21 AM
Have you ever watched a Lion take down a gazelle? I can be messy. This is a tradition for them. I understand your point, but I think too many traditions have been taken away for the beliefs of others who are not even part of that culture. You may not like it, I may not like it, but to put it bluntly, it really is none of our busines.

Balder
Tuesday, November 24th, 2009, 12:40 PM
To an outsider, this is really brutal but it is part of the cultural identity of the Faroese people and it has been for centuries, a communal hunt that dates back to the islanders' Viking roots.

Kogen
Thursday, November 26th, 2009, 01:49 PM
You may not like it, I may not like it, but to put it bluntly, it really is none of our busines.
This is a poor attitude. By that, we should ignore any Europeans in Africa, as it is none of our business what Africans do to them. The fact is that the world has global poltical/ideological forces and we either need to fight to the top or kneel to those already up there.

As for the whales, I think johan is downplaying their intelligence. Just because you do not like the hippies lying about you, it does not suddenly mean animal welfare, Japan's whaling fleets, and the animal's intelligence have all been lied about just to attack you. Although in contrast, a pig is also intelligent, just to compare the morality of it that way.

I think there is little problem here and people should instead focus on the Asians who actively hunt whales.

Ulfvaldr
Thursday, November 26th, 2009, 08:36 PM
No,thats is a lot different, we are not talking about people here that have been hunted for centuries, These are wales, and it is a traditionally historical event, You want to stop a tradition just because you don't agree with it? what you made is a very poor comparison

Anselm
Friday, December 11th, 2009, 07:54 PM
To keep excusing it as tradition is to dismiss the pain and horror those whales are experiencing IMHO. They have an advanced nervous system just like us and feel pain like a child would feel.

Some traditions aren't good or productive.

Kogen
Friday, December 11th, 2009, 08:04 PM
To keep excusing it as tradition is to dismiss the pain and horror those whales are experiencing IMHO. They have an advanced nervous system just like us and feel pain like a child would feel.

Some traditions aren't good or productive.
Read the post at the top of the thread.

Focusing on this is a waste of time and is barely relevant.

Anselm
Monday, December 14th, 2009, 07:20 PM
"Focusing on this is a waste of time and is barely relevant."

With all due respect, how is it irrelevant to focus on the pilot whales? The linked info at the top of the thread reads, "Conservationists say the practice is outdated, cruel and unnecessary for a place with one of the highest standards of living in Europe."

And, "They literally saw through the animal's spine to kill them," Watson said. "People tend to drink a lot and it’s a big party akin to the Roman gladiator games. There is no place for this in the modern world."

Forgive me if I missed something. I know there's not an industry based whale hunting there, but I still feel it's wrong.

Svartljos
Monday, December 14th, 2009, 07:43 PM
Good thing you don't live there and aren't doing it yourself then. It's a part of their culture, and whether or not its barbaric, it's not really our job to tell another country what to do on their own shores, is it?

I think maybe telling them why it is bad or telling them about your own emotions towards whales and how you feel connected to them is okay, but to try to get such things banned is a bad idea.

Anyways I'd rather have a free life as a whale and then be killed rather than be raised in a small cage all my life and never know freedom, that is a lot more natural at least to me.

Hersir
Monday, December 14th, 2009, 08:10 PM
I think this is bullshit. What does it matters how the animals live their last few minutes, when they have been living freely all their life in the ocean.
Much more important issues is animals being bred in industry like scale for food and fur.

Pallantides
Wednesday, January 6th, 2010, 10:35 AM
Whoa there is a lot of hatred for Nordic culture and traditions in this thread...
http://www.sydhav.no/fakta/havet/hval/skytter.jpg

I think this is bullshit. What does it matters how the animals live their last few minutes, when they have been living freely all their life in the ocean.

don't forget that whale meat taste excellent.:D

*I'm off to club some baby seals.

SwordOfTheVistula
Thursday, January 7th, 2010, 10:28 AM
Someone mentioned Sea Shepherd. Those freaks are as bad as Al-Kaïda, and frankly, they're exploiting the whales in a much worse degree than both we (supposedly) and the Japanese are.

True. Have you seen the South Park which deals with this :D

http://www.southparkstudios.com/guide/1311/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmbyHmg-aWw

thoughtcrime
Thursday, January 14th, 2010, 05:22 PM
In all honesty, I don't see what's wrong with hunting other species. Mouse eats bug, fox eats mouse, bear eats fox, man eats bear, and some sad day, the bugs eat the human again. That's how the cycle of life works. Why shouldn't humans be allowed to hunt, as any other predator on this planet? Only because we are more intelligent? I can't see any logic behind that. I also don't see what's "green" or "pagan" about advocating against hunting. To me, it's the only way to gather meat which can be perfectly in tune with nature. If you really want to protect animals or nature, fight that meat factories producing cheap chicken or pork meat, where animals are held captive in permanent darkness, having to live on their own excrements and being pumped with chemicals. Instead of arguing this, people whine about some cute little seals being clubbed to death or whales being killed. That's just disproportional to me.

To my northern neighbours: Good hunt and enjoy your meal ;)

Deifr
Monday, January 18th, 2010, 04:21 PM
Nothing wrong with the Faroese keeping this old custom alive. Just like the indigenous people of alaska hunting whale to feed themself with. Industrial scale whaleing is what needs to be watched carefully as to not wipe out species of whale.

johanpeturdam
Friday, January 29th, 2010, 12:09 PM
True. Have you seen the South Park which deals with this :D

http://www.southparkstudios.com/guide/1311/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmbyHmg-aWw

I have, yes! :D

PW is an idiot with a bad case of media horniness. (from Faroese miðlagreði) ;)

Ragnar Lodbrok
Friday, January 29th, 2010, 11:53 PM
I wish to say: I`m, a member of Greenpeace! Think, what you want!

I DO anything for animals!

I will fight!

I know, I could never condone hunting animals for no reason and excessively as well. Learning how to fire a twelve gauge and practicing at a firing range is sport in its own merit and so is golf(stuff I really enjoy.) Hunting animals excessively(the seal clubbing really disgusts me by the way) for no reason other than sport really doesn't sound sporting to me.

Its a shame, that people can only find fun in that on such a lovely island.

Henry
Tuesday, February 23rd, 2010, 05:49 PM
I realize, I'm likely in the minority regarding my opinion here. But I view culture (hunting included) as a manifestation of race, at present my primary concern is for the long term preservation of a single specie...us. If whites are removed from the earth, it's safe to say it will spell the doom of most of the world's wildlife as well. So admittedly in single-mindedness, culture trumps any animal concerns to me...keeping our old traditions alive, is more important to me than keeping any individual fish alive.

For those fellows keeping those old traditions alive, you have my support.

vorpal_bunny
Thursday, March 4th, 2010, 06:52 AM
Again, wow, and I’m a nice liberal Ivy League educated girl from the Northeast and I am appalled by some of the sentiment on this thread. If those people were brown, OF COURSE we must honor their native ways, but because they are white they are brutal.

Yeah, how’s that working’ out for us? The whales in question are not even close to extinction, they are killed in a ritualistic, sacred manner and they are eaten. I have Yankees in my past, they survived on whale, thank the gods, because I am here today to say that white ritual, white rights of passage and white consumption are neither environmental crimes nor are they immoral anymore than a bris, ritual circumcision of the Jew at eight days old (making all genital mutilation in America legal in order to honor that particular right of passage just A-OK) is an illegal or immoral act.

Yes, almost every bit of redblooded meat I eat is horribly abused before it reaches my tongue, and yes, if my husband could/would free himself of the white slavery that is corporate America I and my children would eat meat from animals that lived in peace until he bested them, so I have to say I envy those women and children whose men are free to provide them with meat that isn’t riddled with angst and horror like that which I have fed my children for twenty years.

How to reconcile this? I haven’t a clue. But if there’s food to be had and your children hungry – feed them. If there’s a tradition that has yet to be interrupted by white guilt - fight for it. If there’s a lobby protecting a lower life form – question it and find out who financially benefits from its existence. I doubt you’d find the Faeroese.

Ragnar Lodbrok
Thursday, March 4th, 2010, 10:57 PM
Again, wow, and I’m a nice liberal Ivy League educated girl from the Northeast and I am appalled by some of the sentiment on this thread. If those people were brown, OF COURSE we must honor their native ways, but because they are white they are brutal.

Yeah, how’s that working’ out for us? The whales in question are not even close to extinction, they are killed in a ritualistic, sacred manner and they are eaten. I have Yankees in my past, they survived on whale, thank the gods, because I am here today to say that white ritual, white rights of passage and white consumption are neither environmental crimes nor are they immoral anymore than a bris, ritual circumcision of the Jew at eight days old (making all genital mutilation in America legal in order to honor that particular right of passage just A-OK) is an illegal or immoral act.

Yes, almost every bit of redblooded meat I eat is horribly abused before it reaches my tongue, and yes, if my husband could/would free himself of the white slavery that is corporate America I and my children would eat meat from animals that lived in peace until he bested them, so I have to say I envy those women and children whose men are free to provide them with meat that isn’t riddled with angst and horror like that which I have fed my children for twenty years.

How to reconcile this? I haven’t a clue. But if there’s food to be had and your children hungry – feed them. If there’s a tradition that has yet to be interrupted by white guilt - fight for it. If there’s a lobby protecting a lower life form – question it and find out who financially benefits from its existence. I doubt you’d find the Faeroese.

I'm going to have to give exception to the Faeroese because, there is never anything wrong with a ritualistic feast in my opinion. (I might make it my goal to plan my own sometime.)

I still hate Canadian seal hunters though.

Linda Trostenhatten
Friday, March 5th, 2010, 03:22 AM
http://www.visir.is/article/20100304/FRETTIR02/882809636

Gruß,
SvartrAmerican religious nuts want to stone whale to death

Whale named Tilikum, who was cought close to Iceland in the late 80's, killed his coach. the coach is Tilikum's third murder victim

http://img.visir.is/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=XZ&Date=20100304&Category=FRETTIR02&ArtNo=882809636&Ref=AR&NoBordermoments after this photo was taken Tilikum bit her hair and dragged her to the bottom of the pool where she died from drowning

Lord Haw-Haw
Friday, March 5th, 2010, 03:52 PM
^

Video of said event.....for anyone who is interested.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=06b_1267765340

Catterick
Thursday, June 16th, 2016, 02:15 PM
Comparing whale hunting to female genital mutilation is ridiculous. :thumbdown

Only if you are man-centred not life-centred.

What matters is degree of suffering though, eating whale is no better or worse than eating meat from a cow or sheep, and much more moral than Danish bacon from pigs raised in appalling intensive conditions.

And don't get me started on battery hens.

Whales are not special like some hypocrites think.