PDA

View Full Version : Shocking Figures Reveal Rape Trends in SA

Agrippa
Sunday, October 29th, 2006, 12:36 PM
Shocking figures reveal rape trends in South Africa

By Karen Breytenbach

Almost a fifth of South African men have raped a woman at least once in their lives, the South African Medical Research Council (MRC) has disclosed in releasing its annual report.

The MRC's Gender and Health Research Unit interviewed 1 370 men between the ages of 15 and 26 about sexual violence towards women.

About eight percent of respondents reported having been sexually violent towards their intimate partner, while 16.3 percent reported raping a non-partner or participating in some form of gang-rape.

Also noted was an overlap of 44 percent of men raping non-partners and intimate partners. The mean age at which respondents first raped a woman was 17.

The MRC considers this research paper of "substantial international importance" as it is the first of its kind outside North America. It is also the first to have a single set of data on the rape of intimate and non-intimate partners. The findings contribute significantly to an understanding of why rape is so common in South Africa.

The researchers looked at reasons why men raped and common factors in their backgrounds. Adversity in childhood, alcohol abuse and, surprisingly, a more educated mother were associated with partner and non-partner rapes. Non-partner rapes were also associated with greater susceptibility to peer pressure to have sex, membership of a gang or using drugs.

The destructive impact of apartheid on the family made many children vulnerable to sexual and emotional abuse, the study found.

"The other noticeable set of factors are those related to particular ideas of masculinity, where women are seen as objects to be conquered and controlled, sex is often seen as an impersonal act of physical gratification, with masculinity often defined in terms of sexual conquest, and where male peer group bonding is emphasised," the MRC report read.
"Contrary to popular belief that men who rape are poor and unable to win women for consensual sex, we found men of relatively higher social status were more likely to rape."

A survey of 1 295 sexually active women from the rural Eastern Cape explored the link between HIV and gender-based violence. HIV infection was associated with having three or more partners in the preceding year and having a partner who was three or more years older and more educated than the woman.

The Health Promotion Research and Development Group found sexual assault, violence and depression common among HIV-positive women. A sub-division of the unit is looking into male attitudes and is working with traditional leaders to include health messages during initiation.

"Especially in terms of HIV, men are part of the problem. We have to teach boys and men to respect their sexual health and women," Mbewu said.

http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=1&click_id=125&art_id=vn20061024024551407C530989

http://archive.salon.com/news/feature/2000/03/28/south_africa/index.html

Found here:
http://www.biodiversityforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=17119#17119

Thruthheim
Sunday, October 29th, 2006, 12:43 PM
Look after your wife and daughters when travelling to SA for the World Cup! How and Why it's being held there seems ludicrous.

Lissu
Sunday, October 29th, 2006, 12:44 PM
The study did not say anything about the race of the rapists? I'm pretty sure those were not the ones with European origin....

Siegfried
Sunday, October 29th, 2006, 04:48 PM
The study did not say anything about the race of the rapists? I'm pretty sure those were not the ones with European origin....

Not even 10% of South Africa is European at this point.

Almost a fifth of South African men have raped a woman at least once in their lives

ladybright
Sunday, November 19th, 2006, 05:30 AM
This is just heartrending.:~( I read all the articles and want to go cry now. I dont know what to say. I think that men who know that they have HIV and rape should be charged with assault with a deadly weapon or attempted manslaughter as well as rape.
I remember seeing a case last year where an HIV+ AIDS activist was raped by a government offical and afterwards he said that he was safe because he had showered after sex. He claimed it was consenual.
This seems to be part of seeing others as objects to be used. I have no idea how to solve this problem. I want to send over cases of knoves and guns to all the women in South Africa.

Lissu
Sunday, November 19th, 2006, 09:55 AM
This is just heartrending.:~( I read all the articles and want to go cry now. I dont know what to say. Were you totally unaware about the situation of South Africa?!?:-O

I think that men who know that they have HIV and rape should be charged with assault with a deadly weapon or attempted manslaughter as well as rape.The point is that with today's medication HIV is not a deadly disease anymore.

I remember seeing a case last year where an HIV+ AIDS activist was raped by a government offical and afterwards he said that he was safe because he had showered after sex. He claimed it was consenual.Yes, and the rapists was black. Absolutely nothing new under the sun, it was even a bit surprizing that the case got into news headlines. Because rapes happens in SA and elsewhere in Africa all the time, on daily basis.

This seems to be part of seeing others as objects to be used. I have no idea how to solve this problem. I want to send over cases of knoves and guns to all the women in South Africa.No, it is a part of the cultures of sub-Saharan peoples. And there really is no way to solve the problem. You can take a Negro out of the jungle but there is no way to take the jungle out of the Negro.

ladybright
Sunday, November 19th, 2006, 02:31 PM
I knew things were bad but to not how bad they really are. I usually do not go looking for news in other countries that will depress me. There is little that I can do other then pray as far as I know. What can someone who is not going to SA do to help? I do not have money to give in any significant quantity.

Zyklop
Sunday, November 19th, 2006, 02:37 PM
What can someone who is not going to SA do to help? Maybe not demonstrate against apartheid anymore for a start?

ladybright
Sunday, November 19th, 2006, 02:57 PM
Maybe not demonstrate against apartheid anymore for a start? I have never been to an antiapartheid demonstration. It is not my country and my dislike of racism is not a good enough reason to try to affect other countries political system. I knew that I did not know what things were like and did not want it to end up even worse than it was when I was a child. Is there anything else you would recomend.

Lissu
Sunday, November 19th, 2006, 04:39 PM
I have never been to an antiapartheid demonstration. It is not my country and my dislike of racism is not a good enough reason to try to affect other countries political system. I knew that I did not know what things were like and did not want it to end up even worse than it was when I was a child. Is there anything else you would recomend.Yes, it seems that South Africa is soon in the end of her civilized history. It could be that South Africa will become another Haiti. Propably not on top of the list of the countries one would like to travel to...

Horagalles
Sunday, November 19th, 2006, 04:52 PM
The study did not say anything about the race of the rapists? I'm pretty sure those were not the ones with European origin....Rape by Whites is actually rare. The last case I heard of was actually debunked after a while. It was the girl initiating sex with other students. Later she cried rape.

Pretoria - The University of Pretoria and the family of the students who walked free after rape charges against them were dropped on Monday, are relieved that it's over.
Piet Botha, an uncle of two of the four students who were accused last year of gang raping a schoolgirl, said: "We are terribly glad the whole unpleasant saga is over."
The charges against four students, residents of Maroela House when they were accused of gang raping an 18-year-old schoolgirl in the residence, were withdrawn on Monday in Pretoria magistrate's court. Two of the students are grandsons of former cabinet minister Pik Botha, singer Piet Botha's father. The national directorate of public prosecutions told a Pretoria magistrate there was not enough evidence. Piet Botha said: "We are thankful that it's over, although we never had any doubt about the boys' innocence. "I know the boys. They grew up in front of me."
"Now, we just want to reach equilibrium, we want to get on with our lives."
A bitter Botha criticised the Afrikaans media for the manner in which they had handled the incident. In particular, he had had it with "malicious reports that were not based on fact". "It was disgusting", he said.
http://www.news24.com/News24/South_Africa/News/0,6119,2-7-1442_1485049,00.html

Actually it was even proven that the girl lied to get that kind charges into the police. Not sure wheter she was prosecuted herself, she certainly deserved a punishment adequate for rape.

SiegUmJedenPreis
Friday, November 24th, 2006, 08:39 PM
I'd hardly call any of these figures shocking - Take a gander at our "Official" (in other words multiply by 3) Crime Statistics: