PDA

View Full Version : Global Phenotypic Variation in Personality Traits

OneEnglishNorman
Friday, October 13th, 2006, 07:50 PM
(From gnxp.com) http://www.gnxp.com/blog/2006/10/global-phenotypic-variation-in.php

Part 1 (http://www.gnxp.com/blog/2006/09/how-other-half-of-differential.php) of my crash-course on personality went over the psychometric and neurophysiological basics (to the extent these are currently understood). Part 3 will look more at the search for candidate genes that influence personality traits, as well as their importance in recent human evolution. This Part will be brief, focusing just on global variation in personality phenotypes. So far there are three largish datasets on the mean level of various personality traits across cultures: Lynn & Martin (1995) (http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/els/01918869/1995/00000019/00000003/art00054), which synthesized a host of studies that used the Eysenck Personality Questionnaire; and Allik & McCrae (2004) (http://jcc.sagepub.com/cgi/content/abstract/35/1/13) and McCrae, Terracciano, et al. (2005) (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=pubmed&cmd=Retrieve&dopt=AbstractPlus&list_uids=16248722&query_hl=17&itool=pubmed_docsum), which used the Big Five's NEO-PI (http://www.unifr.ch/ztd/HTS/inftest/catalogs4/EN/4EN001/Web/d590668ef5a34f17908121d3edf2d1dc/hb.htm) questionnaire. I'm going to focus on the first collection of data since they were collected from a variety of individuals within a given culture and have large Ns (roughly in the upper hundreds or over 1000 for each country), whereas the latter two were restricted to college students and for some cultures have smaller Ns (roughly in the lower-to-mid-hundreds). Here is a graph plotting different countries by their mean level of Extraversion and Neuroticism (units aren't important, basically how many questions you answer in favor of E or N), with the yellow axes representing the unweighted global medians:

http://www.gnxp.com/blog/uploaded_images/worldpers1-722101.jpg
http://www.gnxp.com/blog/uploaded_images/humor-700328.png

Psychoticism scores (High levels of this trait believed to be linked to increased vulnerability to psychoses such as schizophrenia), in descending order, from the studies synthesized by Lynn & Martin:

Czechoslovakia 9.1
India 8.1
Yugoslavia 7.4
Hong Kong 7
Australia 6.9
China 6.7
Germany 6.1
Uganda 6
France 5.5
Greece 5.4
Iran 5
Lithuania 5
Japan 4.8
Finland 4.7
Mexico 4.5
Egypt 4.4
Italy 4.4
Puerto Rico 4.4
Singapore 4.3
Bangladesh 4.2
Canada 4.2
Sri Lanka 4.2
Bulgaria 4.1
Brazil 4
Korea 4
Hungary 3.8
United Kingdom 3.8
Nigeria 3.6
Russia 3.6
Iceland 3.5
Israel 3.5
Romania 3.5
United States 3.3
Spain 3
Netherlands 2.8
Portugal 2.6
Norway 2.2

Loki
Friday, October 13th, 2006, 11:29 PM
Interesting stuff

Pervitinist
Friday, October 13th, 2006, 11:49 PM
It surprises me that Israel reached such a low psychoticism score.

Among the East Asians the Koreans seem to be the least psychotic.

When you look at Europe, Germany is on top psychotically (I doubt the validity of the extreme Czechoslovakian scores). This makes sense, since in some other studies the Germans (especially Bavarians) were credited with the higest European IQ (I'm Bavarian, you know); and in 2005 every third new patent that was registered in the world was registered by a German.

Ingenuity, intelligence and psychoticism must be linked in some way, no doubt about that (we call it "Genie und Wahnsinn"). So it doesnt surprise me at all that the Norwegians - probably the most boring people in the world - are - are the least psychotic. But how did the Ugandans reach such a high score? :suspect

SineNomine
Friday, October 13th, 2006, 11:55 PM
Ingenuity, intelligence and psychoticism must be linked in some way, no doubt about that (we call it "Genie und Wahnsinn"). So it doesnt surprise me at all that the Norwegians - probably the most boring people in the world - are - are the least psychotic. But how did the Ugandans reach such a high score? :suspect
LOL Norwegians aren't that bad. They can be a little dry, up to when they drink themselves silly. :)

Anyway, I'm surprised Germany's score is so high - France's on the other hand does not phase me. Personally, I have some of the traits in the melancholic & phlegmatic quadrants.

Quite an interesting study - thanks OFS.

nätdeutsch
Friday, October 13th, 2006, 11:57 PM
apparantly a bad day to be a czech...

Thruthheim
Sunday, October 15th, 2006, 06:39 PM
It's a total myth that Norwegians are boring, I admire them greatly, and i'm very well acquainted with Norwegians and Norway. They are quite adventurous i've found, far from the stereotypical myth that they're boring.

Siegfried
Sunday, October 15th, 2006, 07:00 PM
Ingenuity, intelligence and psychoticism must be linked in some way, no doubt about that (we call it "Genie und Wahnsinn"). [...] But how did the Ugandans reach such a high score? :suspect

Psychoticism is obviously correlated with other personality traits besides ingenuity and intelligence. The list also suggests the racial connection is weak, but then again, the behaviorally predictive powers of macroracial concepts (such as Caucasoid and Mongoloid) are fairly weak in general; for example, according to several tables I've seen, the IQ gap between the Netherlands and Japan is smaller than between the Netherlands and Greece.

Pervitinist
Sunday, October 15th, 2006, 08:16 PM
It's a total myth that Norwegians are boring, I admire them greatly, and i'm very well acquainted with Norwegians and Norway. They are quite adventurous i've found, far from the stereotypical myth that they're boring.

Of course, I was only making fun. Knut Hamsun is one of my favourite authors after all.

But while not calling them boring I would still say that at least the Norwegians I know are for the most part rather realistic and conservative people very far from being psychotic.

SineNomine
Sunday, October 15th, 2006, 08:31 PM
Psychoticism is obviously correlated with other personality traits besides ingenuity and intelligence. The list also suggests the racial connection is weak, but then again, the behaviorally predictive powers of macroracial concepts (such as Caucasoid and Mongoloid) are fairly weak in general; for example, according to several tables I've seen, the IQ gap between the Netherlands and Japan is smaller than between the Netherlands and Greece.
Isn't this in part due to the educational systems though? For instance, Sweden is rather ahead of France on the IQ tables, but I doubt this means that on a racial level, ceteris paribus, that Swedes are more intelligent than the French. Otherwise it seems correct.

nätdeutsch
Sunday, October 15th, 2006, 08:36 PM
Isn't this in part due to the educational systems though? For instance, Sweden is rather ahead of France on the IQ tables, but I doubt this means that on a racial level, ceteris paribus, that Swedes are more intelligent than the French. Otherwise it seems correct.

i dunno, you could use the same argument when comparing sweden with kenya...

SineNomine
Sunday, October 15th, 2006, 08:40 PM
i dunno, you could use the same argument when comparing sweden with kenya...
The best possible way I suppose to compare IQ's would be to examine individuals under similar circumstances. According to IQ expert Arthur Jensen education can improve IQ and overall intelligence, but genetics is still the determining factor.

OneEnglishNorman
Sunday, October 15th, 2006, 10:58 PM
Likely a cultural/educational factor, for example in IQ Italy scores higher than France and the UK. Germany is the same as Sweden (107), despite being different sub-racially.

Having said that, no one seriously doubts that European on average have a biological IQ advantage to Africans, and undoubtedly a behavioural one also.

East Asians are more inhibited than Europeans (less violent, etc), yet their high-end IQ is lower even if the average is greater. But high-end IQ pushes human endeavour forwards the greatest. I will post a thread on this and make this all more clear, I have some sources which go beyond Lynn, Rushton, etc.

nätdeutsch
Sunday, October 15th, 2006, 11:10 PM
I will post a thread on this and make this all more clear, I have some sources which go beyond Lynn, Rushton, etc.

thats great, since Rushton is my deity of choice.