PDA

View Full Version : The Greek Nose

Euclides
Sunday, February 1st, 2004, 05:09 PM
'' THE GREEK, or Straight Nose, is perfectly straight; any deviation from the right line must be strictly noticed. If the deviation tend to convexity, it approaches the Roman Nose, and the character is improved by an accession of energy. on the other hand, when the deviation is towards concavity, it partakes of the "Celestial" and the character is weakened. It should be fine and well-chiselled, but not sharp.

It indicates Refinement of character, Love for the fine arts and belles-lettres, Astuteness, Craft, and a preference, for indirect, rather than direct action. Its owner is not without some energy in pursuit of that which is agreeable to his tastes; but, unlike the owner of the Roman Nose, he cannot exert himself in opposition to his tastes. When associated with the Roman Nose, and distended slightly''

http://www.newcastle.edu.au/discipline/fine-art/theory/race/jabet.htm

Vojvoda
Sunday, February 1st, 2004, 05:25 PM
Why don't you make a poll on the types of noses posters have.

Abby Normal
Sunday, February 1st, 2004, 07:18 PM
"N.B. The Celestial must not be confounded with a Nose which, belonging to one of the other classes in the upper part, terminates in a slight distension of the tip ; for this, so far from prejudicing the character, rather adds to it warmth and activity.

We associate the Snub and the Celestial in nearly the same category, as they both indicate natural weakness, mean, disagreeable disposition, with petty insolence, and divers. other characteristics of conscious weakness, which strongly assimilate them (indeed, a true Celestial Nose is only a Snub turned up); while, their general poverty of distinctive character, makes it almost impossible to distinguish them. Nevertheless there is a difference between their indications; arising, however, rather from difference of intensity than of character. The Celestial is, by virtue of its greater length, decidedly preferable to the Snub; as it has all the above unfortunate propensities in a much less degree, and is not without some share of small shrewdness and fox-like common sense; on which, however, it is apt to presume, ,and is, therefore, a more impudent Nose than the Snub."

"Attention should be paid to the angle which basal line of the Nose forms with the upper lip. this angle affects intensity, and also temperament. If it is an obtuse angle, as thus the consequent abbreviation of the Nose (for a long Nose has always more, Power than a short one) weakens the character, but the temperament is cheerful, gay, and lively..."

These descriptions of my personality are all wrong... This person seems to be partial to the Greek nose. Oh well, I still like my nose!

Nordhammer
Monday, February 9th, 2004, 11:41 AM
These descriptions of my personality are all wrong... This person seems to be partial to the Greek nose. Oh well, I still like my nose!

Right... like history, it is kind to the authors. ;)

Well, this nose form could be used to establish whether modern Greeks have degenerated from their former perfectly-straight-nosed selves. ;)

Esther_Helena
Wednesday, February 11th, 2004, 02:41 PM
where would one find info on types of noses?