PDA

View Full Version : Down Syndrome Repartition By Race?

Thruthheim
Tuesday, October 3rd, 2006, 11:01 PM
The question occured to me today, when I was on a treadmill at the gym, I saw a chap who looked like he suffered from Down's Syndrome, but not as fully as other's I've seen.
What I wondered was, Does Down Syndrome occur more in some Races than others, I've never seen a non-Europid with Down's Syndrome, and I was wondering if the condition was specific or more common to certain sub-types?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Down_syndrome

∆meric
Wednesday, October 4th, 2006, 12:51 AM
The reason you've never seen a non-Europid with Down Syndrome may have to do with cultural differences in dealing with birth defects & visible handicaps. In many societies Down Syndrome can be viewed as shameful and the infants killed by neglect or murdered outright. Another possibility is that non-Europids keep their handicapped relatives concealed, not letting them out of the house or having them institutionalized. Integrating the mentally & physically handicapped into mainstream society is a realtively recent developement in Western Societies. Just a couple of generations ago it was official policy to encourage parents of handicapped children to have their children institutionalized & forgotten.

The numbers of infants born with Down Syndrome have been declining in recent years due to pre-natal detection of birth defects & abortion.

SubGnostic
Sunday, October 8th, 2006, 10:19 PM
Well, studies say that the older the mother, the higher the risk of Down Syndrome. It can be easily associated with western cultural trends.

nštdeutsch
Sunday, October 8th, 2006, 10:48 PM
I have seen europoids and asians with Down Syndrome, but never a black person..

probably just not looking hard enough :)