PDA

View Full Version : Should Taras Bulba become a priest?

Taras Bulba
Tuesday, October 3rd, 2006, 10:23 PM
This has certainly been a topic that Ive been pondering on about for some time. And interesting enough many people from various backgrounds have actually been urging me to join the priesthood, abeit for various reasons.

For now, here's a list of some of the most common reaons Ive heard people say that Id make a very good priest:

1) Im quite knowledgeable about the faith and able to defend it effectively

2) I have a remarkable ability to touch peoples hearts, this especially seems true with younger people who are serious about the faith. They seem to become quite attached to me.

3) Id be a welcome relief to much of the incompetence found within the clergy nowadays.

And so on.

I certainly would like to know some of the thoughts and opinions of people here on this question. Im sure many people here who have interacted with me, both private and public, certainly must have something to say about this. :)

Zyklop
Tuesday, October 3rd, 2006, 10:26 PM
Should Taras Bulba become a priest?
It probably would be better if he´d become a monk with a vow of silence.

Oswiu
Tuesday, October 3rd, 2006, 10:32 PM
If Uniates can marry and you feel the calling - do it.

If they can't, return to Pravoslavie, - and do it! ;) [or defect from Uniate and give the Orthodox Church some good publicity :D ]

Taras Bulba
Tuesday, October 3rd, 2006, 10:34 PM
Yes Uniate priests below the rank of Bishop can marry, but I believe that has to be done before I join the clergy. After that, I have to remain celibate.

As for Orthodoxy, well I went through that phase once. :P

Berliners Remember
Tuesday, October 3rd, 2006, 10:41 PM
not while youre young. ;)

Taras Bulba
Tuesday, October 3rd, 2006, 10:42 PM
Ok so take the route of St. Augustine, "Lord give me chastity but not yet." :P

Oswiu
Tuesday, October 3rd, 2006, 10:43 PM
Good intelligent cultured people must breed. And being a husband and father makes a minister more accessible to his target audience than some weirdo who thinks he can comment on people's lives without having one himself. Catholic priests give me the creeps.

Taras Bulba
Tuesday, October 3rd, 2006, 10:46 PM
It probably would be better if he´d become a monk with a vow of silence.

Yes Im sure many people here would love that. :P

Georgia
Tuesday, October 3rd, 2006, 11:34 PM
Taras Bulba,
seek and ye shall find....I hope you will find a wonderful helpmate (wife) who shares your faith. Then the both of you will have many children together and perhaps they will be brought up in the nurture and admonishion of the Lord.
Georgia:)

Leofric
Wednesday, October 4th, 2006, 02:16 AM
I'm with Oswiu and Georgia. I think you should marry and have children. If it was good enough for Paul, it's good enough for us, right? But if, as a married man, you decide to become a priest, I think it would be a wonderful blessing to you and others, and I think it would most likely be a very good use of the talents the Lord has given you. No work is sweeter than the Lord's work, and you just can't ask for a better boss.

Oswiu
Wednesday, October 4th, 2006, 02:20 AM
If it was good enough for Paul, it's good enough for us, right?
Did he marry and have kids?

Leofric
Wednesday, October 4th, 2006, 03:19 AM
Did he marry and have kids?
I don't know about kids, but in one of his epistles, he addresses his wife directly. Of course, no common translations render the Greek word suzuge as wife, but it was normally used to mean "spouse" in ancient Greek. The KJB has "yokefellow" (of course, notice that the Latinate English word conjugal means, strictly speaking, "having to do with a yokefellow" — it's a very common European metaphor for spousehood).

nätdeutsch
Wednesday, October 4th, 2006, 03:24 AM
Yes Im sure many people here would love that. :P

not me.

if you were to become an Eastern Rite priest, it should be by your own accord, not by ours.

i would ask myself some questions, if i were you, though:

1) is there anything that i have now that would be augmented for the greater good by becoming a priest?

2) what would i gain by becoming a priest, and is becoming a priest the only way to attain my goals?

3)do i have the qualities of what i believe to be indicitive of a priest?

regarding children and a family, there are plenty of people cut out for married life, and having children, and this is great, but it isnt for everyone. also ask if having those extra responsibilities would help you strengthen your faith or lead your towards different goals.

not everyone was meant to marry. it is your choice.

personally, i think you would be great, knowing what little i know.

i would ask those questions, and ponder it in your heart, and when you come to a decision you will likely have made the right choice.

ps. WHY did you change your avatar! that was my favorite one!

Vita
Wednesday, October 4th, 2006, 07:16 PM
This has certainly been a topic that Ive been pondering on about for some time. And interesting enough many people from various backgrounds have actually been urging me to join the priesthood, abeit for various reasons.

For now, here's a list of some of the most common reaons Ive heard people say that Id make a very good priest:

1) Im quite knowledgeable about the faith and able to defend it effectively

2) I have a remarkable ability to touch peoples hearts, this especially seems true with younger people who are serious about the faith. They seem to become quite attached to me.

3) Id be a welcome relief to much of the incompetence found within the clergy nowadays.

The first reason is sufficient:) .

Taras Bulba
Wednesday, October 4th, 2006, 09:11 PM
Ahh thanks people. :emb I wish I could further formulate my thoughts on whats been said so far, but as commonly been the case lately Im not in the best of moods to do so.

BTW, perhaps Blood_Axis, Ivanushka-Supertzar, Theudanaz, etc can articulate why they voted no in the poll. I would actually like to hear what they have to say. :)

Tabitha
Thursday, October 5th, 2006, 02:31 PM
The decision has to come entirely from you, otherwise it's like someone else asking, should I marry this person? Only you know what's truly in your heart. This is a vocation, a calling, more than just an intellectual choice.
It has to be something that niggles away within you, like an annoying piece of grit in your shoe. The right choice will bring you peace.

OneEnglishNorman
Thursday, October 5th, 2006, 08:23 PM
Ignore everyone else's advice and decide on the flip of a coin :thumbup

Veritas Æquitas
Sunday, October 8th, 2006, 03:18 AM
Yes, absolutley Taras. You'd make a wonderful Padre .. I wouldn't, because I'd be excommunicated for not keeping my mouth shut about certain groups of people. *Cough*

Skildur
Sunday, October 8th, 2006, 03:33 AM
BTW, perhaps Blood_Axis, Ivanushka-Supertzar, Theudanaz, etc can articulate why they voted no in the poll. I would actually like to hear what they have to say. :)

You may equal my vote to Undecided as well. I am non-religious heretic so what do I know? If I wanted to be very helpful to the people, I'd rather become a doctor not a priest. You see now, how ignorant I am. :|

nätdeutsch
Sunday, October 8th, 2006, 06:12 AM
Yes, absolutley Taras. You'd make a wonderful Padre .. I wouldn't, because I'd be excommunicated for not keeping my mouth shut about certain groups of people. *Cough*

i love the quote in your signature! have that same one on another forum...

Taras Bulba
Monday, October 9th, 2006, 06:13 PM
Interesting enough last night I spent some considerable time pondering some of the issues brought up within this discussion, and as usual Im too tired and exhausted to formulate those thoughts at the moment. But I promise I will try my best to get back to this as soon as possible. Same thing with other discussions Ive been meaning to get back to. Thank you for your patience. :)

Although I will address this one concern many people here seem to have:

The decision has to come entirely from you, otherwise it's like someone else asking, should I marry this person? Only you know what's truly in your heart. This is a vocation, a calling, more than just an intellectual choice.

Yes Im well aware of all this, perhaps some people here are unaware of the more light-hearted nature of this poll. ;)

My actual decision on whether or not to become a priest will not be determined by the results of this poll; and even if I did decide to actually join the priesthood it would still be quite some time before I did so.

I just simply wanted to hear the thoughts and opinions of others on this issue, since it seems many people have recently been telling how much of a wonderful priest I would be.

Tabitha
Monday, October 9th, 2006, 06:20 PM
It was said sotto voce but when you highlight it like that I look like a bullying pedant!
But then again,we are all choosing Bridie's new hairdo...

Interesting enough last night I spent some considerable time pondering some of the issues brought up within this discussion, and as usual Im too tired and exhausted to formulate those thoughts at the moment. But I promise I will try my best to get back to this as soon as possible. Same thing with other discussions Ive been meaning to get back to. Thank you for your patience. :)

Although I will address this one concern many people here seem to have:

Yes Im well aware of all this, perhaps some people here are unaware of the more light-hearted nature of this poll. ;)

My actual decision on whether or not to become a priest will not be determined by the results of this poll; and even if I did decide to actually join the priesthood it would still be quite some time before I did so.

I just simply wanted to hear the thoughts and opinions of others on this issue, since it seems many people have recently been telling how much of a wonderful priest I would be.

Taras Bulba
Monday, October 9th, 2006, 06:52 PM
But then again,we are all choosing Bridie's new hairdo...

Note to self.....avoid that discussion. :P

Tabitha
Monday, October 9th, 2006, 07:12 PM
Good idea,you'd probably suggest she opt for a monk's tonsure. :P

Note to self.....avoid that discussion. :P

Taras Bulba
Monday, October 9th, 2006, 07:39 PM
Concerning the issue of marriage and celibacy, again I'll have to address that issue at another time, when Im in a better mood.

Til then, here's something from the Ukrainian poet Taras Shevchenko, which does shed some light on my perspective a bit. ;)

Don't Wed

Don't wed a wealthy woman, friend,
She'll drive you from the house.
Don't wed a poor one either, friend,
Dull care will be your spouse.
Get hitched to carefree Cossack life
And share a Cossack fate:
If it be rags, let it be rags --
What comes, that's what you take.
Then you'll have nobody to nag
Or try to cheer you up,
To fuss and fret and question you
What ails you and what's up.
When two misfortune share, they say,
It's easier to weep.
Not so: it's easier to cry
When no-one's there to see.

So yes I guess I have the strong inclination towards bachelorhood of my Cossack ancestors. :P

In fact there was one colony of Cossacks were women were strictly forbidden, under penalty of death.

Taras Bulba
Monday, October 9th, 2006, 07:45 PM
You know Tabitha, I actually had a look at the discussion in question. I really dont know what to say, except maybe how on earth can a discussion about hairstyles drag on for six pages or more? Women...what can I say? LOL

Good idea,you'd probably suggest she opt for a monk's tonsure. :P

Probably not, she's not worthy enough to adopt the hairstyle of men of God! :P

nätdeutsch
Monday, October 9th, 2006, 07:51 PM
In fact there was one colony of Cossacks were women were strictly forbidden, under penalty of death.

"thats GAY"

this reminds me of the quote:
"Bigamy is having one wife too many. Monogamy is the same."
- Oscar Wilde

Taras Bulba
Monday, October 9th, 2006, 07:57 PM
That's the first time Ive heard somebody call Cossacks gay. Considering the fact they were fierce and skillful warriors by any standards. Napoleon boasted that if he had a few regiments of them, he'd march across Europe in no time.

Either way, one of the reasons for not allowing women was in some ways pratical. The steppes at this time was very much like the Wild West of American legend; Cossacks were constantly fighting various tribes of nomads, Turks, and at times the Tsars themselves. It was a dangerous lifestyle, and not one well attuned to the needs of raising a family.

Oswiu
Tuesday, October 10th, 2006, 12:54 AM
Don't Wed

Don't wed a wealthy woman, friend,

She'll drive you from the house.
So yes I guess I have the strong inclination towards bachelorhood of my Cossack ancestors. :P

I like to read Ukrainian when I have an English or Russian translation to help - give us the original, Taras! [Did Gogol's hero HAVE an Otchestvo?]

Similar sentiment;

Не для меня

(казачий романс)
Не для меня придет весна,
Не для меня Дон разольется.
А сердце девичье забьется
С восторгом чувств не для меня.

Не для меня журчат ручьи,
Текут алмазными струями.
Там дева с черными бровями,
Она растет не для меня.

Не для меня цветут сады,
В долине роща расцветает.
Там соловей весну встречает,
Он будет петь не для меня.

Не для меня придет Пасха,
За стол родня вся соберется.
Христос воскрес" из уст польется
В пасхальный день не для меня.

А для меня кусок свинца,
Он в тело белое вопьется.
И слезы девичьи польются,
Такая жизнь, брат, ждет меня.

very moving song, a favourite of mine.

Ahem,

'Tis not for me that Spring comes
Nor does the Don swell its waters for my sake.
Nor does a maiden's heart throb
With tumultuous passion, not for me.

'Tis not for me that the brooks flow,
Flowing with diamond flashes.
There a maid with dark brows -
She blooms, but not for me.

Not for me are the gardens in blossom,
nor the green thickets of in the valley.
There a nightingale meets spring,
He will sing, but not for me.

Not for me does Easter come,
nor the family all gather at the table.
"Christ is arisen" pours from their lips
on Easter Day, but not for me.

For me there's a chunk of lead,
Tearing into my white body.
And tears of grief, maidens wil cry over me,
That, my Brother, is what awaits me.

:~(

Taras Bulba
Sunday, October 22nd, 2006, 09:29 PM
It's been a while, but Im finally getting back to this and hopefully other topics. :)

Taras Bulba,
seek and ye shall find....I hope you will find a wonderful helpmate (wife) who shares your faith. Then the both of you will have many children together and perhaps they will be brought up in the nurture and admonishion of the Lord.
Georgia:)

LOL! You know ironically, when this issue was discussed at CCF(and I'll PM you the thread), I actually received something resembling a marriage proposal from one poster. :lol

Im not kidding. After making several posts in which she stated how much of a wonderful priest I'd be, she made the following remark:

You are such a wonderfully unique guy ... gosh If I wasn't married I'd have proposed to you in this very message! Really...

Which brings me to another odd thing I usually notice, the amount of flirtations I receive from various women when discussing this topic. :P

Although I can say with some certainity that spiritual topics seem to be my main route towards feminine companionship. Out of the all aspects of my character, it seems my spiritual side is what fascinates them the most. Why that is I really have no idea.

"seek and ye shall find" - well I have sought and indeed I have found as well. In one post (http://forums.skadi.net/showpost.php?p=450147&postcount=96) I even talked about one girl who is very dear to my heart and I love her beyond belief. If there's one woman in the world I'd seriously considered marrying, it's her.

However, as I also explained, various factors prevent us from being together romantically. Sadly, that has has been the case with various other women Ive grown quite attached to. :(

Furthermore, most of the women that are deeply fond of me seems to be so in more Platonic forms. It just seems that the type I love and affection I arouse in women is not of the romantic kind; but nevertheless is still overly caring about my overall well-being. I guess to use your term, it can be described as "motherly" almost. ;)

However as I concluded in the post I linked to above:
"[L]ove does come in many forms, and the forms in which it can be expressed vary as well. Being in love with somebody doesn't necessarily mean you must be with them romantically, even though that maybe is what your heart truely desires. Developing a close and deep friendship with the person in question is still a viable option."

But hey, who knows, since all this talk about me becoming a priest seems to attract so much attention from the fair sex; maybe I'll find a woman interested in luring me away from that path; like how Belloc lured away his wife from her desire to become a nun. :P ;)

OMegasPan
Sunday, October 29th, 2006, 06:50 AM
I don't know about kids, but in one of his epistles, he addresses his wife directly. Of course, no common translations render the Greek word suzuge as wife, but it was normally used to mean "spouse" in ancient Greek. The KJB has "yokefellow" (of course, notice that the Latinate English word conjugal means, strictly speaking, "having to do with a yokefellow" — it's a very common European metaphor for spousehood).

If you want to be precise, 'suzuge' means something else.