PDA

View Full Version : Ouija Boards? Have You Used them?

Thruthheim
Wednesday, January 25th, 2006, 12:18 PM
Have any of you tNP members used a Ouija board? Or have you had friends who have experienced one? Any stories?

They still seem like a paranormal taboo in Society, not something i am compelled to try anyway.

Thoughts?

Alice
Friday, January 27th, 2006, 11:53 AM
Have any of you tNP members used a Ouija board? Or have you had friends who have experienced one? Any stories?

They still seem like a paranormal taboo in Society, not something i am compelled to try anyway.

Thoughts?

When I was thirteen or so, a few of my friends and I used a Ouija board. I believe Parker Brothers, the same company that produces such board games as Monopoly, used to sell one. Among other things, we asked it to give us the initials of the men we'd marry (how stupid, right?) If I'm not mistaken, it said I'd marry someone with the initials KS or something, which are not my husband's initials. Ah, the insanity of youth. :icon12:

Brynhild
Wednesday, May 14th, 2008, 06:13 AM
So.... anyone ever used one? Do you believe in them? Do you believe that under a controlled environment they can be conducted with safety? Do you likewise believe that they are to be avoided like the plague - not to be meddled with?

Thrymheim
Wednesday, May 14th, 2008, 10:07 AM
Very simply I don't think they work and therefore don't think their anymore dangerous than any other piece of cardboard or wood. If they did work then it would surely just be as an aid to meditation, a way to order the mind, and fool the gullible.

GroeneWolf
Wednesday, May 14th, 2008, 12:36 PM
Considering the theory behind it. Namely thay a spirit/ghost uses on of the partcipants to move the glass. I could probaly name a few High Magicians who would scream at you for doing it without proper protection. However more likely it maybe some collective subconsious thing that provides the answer. However I myself don't use that thing. However they are nice horrormovie-props.

Cythraul
Friday, May 16th, 2008, 01:24 PM
I've always been fascinated by the idea but am yet to try it. The difficulty is finding a group of people I'd want to participate in this with. Preliminarily, I believe they have a certain power, but I'd reserve full judgement until trying it myself. I'm not scared by them, just as I'm not put off by anything occult. Perhaps my own spirit is a little too cocky but I trust my own strength and ability to resist negative forces.

Father O'Murphy
Tuesday, May 27th, 2008, 08:18 AM
I am completely and utterly against them.

They are dangerous in so that evil demons pretend to be cooperative ghosts in order to trick players into becoming spiritually possessed. A few paranormal researchers, such as John Zaffis, claim that the majority of the worst cases of so-called demon harassment and possession are caused by the use of Ouija boards.

They are dangerous and I advise everyone to stay well clear of them.

Eccardus Teutonicus
Tuesday, May 27th, 2008, 09:41 AM
So.... anyone ever used one? Do you believe in them? Do you believe that under a controlled environment they can be conducted with safety? Do you likewise believe that they are to be avoided like the plague - not to be meddled with?

I've used one- in fact I have a first generation Ouija board, manufactured by Parker Brothers ca. 1930s I think (I'd have to check the box). It's about the same level of entertainment as "Truth or Dare" or other such adolescent nonsense. Positively harmless save for the time wasted that could have been used reading a book.

This idea that they're some kind of gateway for "daemonic possession" is absolute hogwash. It's linoleum and plastic and the flighty imaginations of schoolchildren. If "possession" results from it I can guarantee a psychological explanation; at most, the connexion between Ouija and the psychotic episodes associated with so-called "daemonic possession" is one of subconscious suggestion of one's imagination.

But really I think there are better ways of wasting one's time than tarot cards and ouija boards and "communing with spirits". If you want spiritual exercise, I suggest meditation (or rune study, but that I recommend for serious heathens, not the flaky neo-pagans who usually use Ouija boards in earnest). If you're looking for some fun new obsession, go to a hobby shop.

Oh, and O'Murphy, when you're going to take a stance, I strongly suggest you take it from somewhere other than Wikipedia:

Although ouija boards are viewed by some to be a simple toy, there are people who believe they can be harmful, including Edgar Cayce, who called them "dangerous."[5] Critics warn that "evil demons" pretend to be cooperative ghosts in order to trick players into becoming spiritually possessed.

Some practitioners claim to have had bad experiences related to the use of talking boards by being haunted by "demons," seeing apparitions of spirits, and hearing voices after using them. A few paranormal researchers, such as John Zaffis, claim that the majority of the worst cases of so-called demon harassment and possession are caused by the use of Ouija boards.

mischak
Tuesday, May 27th, 2008, 09:58 AM
They're merely toys.

Father O'Murphy
Tuesday, May 27th, 2008, 11:01 AM
Oh, and O'Murphy, when you're going to take a stance, I strongly suggest you take it from somewhere other than Wikipedia:

I edited that Wikipedia article my friend ;).

OneEnglishNorman
Tuesday, May 27th, 2008, 12:55 PM
They're the sort of thing that teenagers / stupid people think are "edgy".

Gefjon
Tuesday, May 27th, 2008, 01:42 PM
So.... anyone ever used one?
Yep.

Do you believe in them?
Nope. It's ridiculous. As ridiculous as believing in Santa or the Easter Bunny or the Tooth Fairy. I used one and I'm still here, alive and sane (well, relatively ;):p).

Do you believe that under a controlled environment they can be conducted with safety?
Of course, it's just a game. Do you believe that under a controlled environment Monopoly can be conducted with safety? :D

Do you likewise believe that they are to be avoided like the plague - not to be meddled with?
To each his own.

Solwynn_AOR
Tuesday, May 27th, 2008, 03:47 PM
Give someone or something power over you and POOF!! - bad things will happen if you believe that they will.

Mrs. Lyfing
Friday, May 30th, 2008, 03:30 AM
I played with one of these things in high school. A girl friend of mine had one, although she was nearly scared to death of it, I talked her into doing it with me, so I could see what the big deal was.

All I can say is...I wasn't moving it. Do I think she was moving it? Not really.
Everything it had to say was bad, evil, spooky, EEEEK! :(

I would ask who was talking to us? It usually spelled out a name and most beings claimed to be male, all but one. It would say it was from Heaven, then admit to being from hell. This was the case with all of whatever was talking to us. They or "it" maybe taking on more than one person, would repeat HA HA a lot on the board, I remember one claimed to of drowned as a child, a young boy. Again...EEK! :(

I even asked personal questions she wouldn't know the answer to, to be sure she wasn't moving the thing.

I am not sure what or how but those things are scary as shit!

Also, the house I lived in while we were doing it, well, while living there I always saw flashes of light near the kitchen floor. So, maybe that house was in touch with something from the spirit world...

Deary
Friday, May 30th, 2008, 04:48 AM
I have never and would never want to risk discrediting the abilities of a ouija board for a bit of fun or curiosity. Although I am an atheist, I do believe in spirits, and that they can come into contact with us. When people mess with a ouija board, they're opening a door they do not know what is behind, and there might not be any controlling what comes out of it. I do not want to put myself or others around me in any danger, and I think people who walk away from using them emotionally or physically unharmed should consider themselves lucky. Better safe than sorry.