PDA

View Full Version : Berlin school bans languages other than German

Blutwölfin
Saturday, January 21st, 2006, 11:01 PM
Berlin school bans languages other than German

BERLIN - A Berlin school has banned its students from speaking languages other than German while on school grounds.

"The language of our school is German, the official language of the Federal Republic of Germany," reads the 'house rules' of the Herbert-Hoover Realschule, which every pupil is required to sign.

The rules go on to say that, "Every pupil is obliged to only communicate in this language [German] within the jurisdiction of the house rules." The rules' jurisdiction is defined as including not only the school itself and its grounds, but also school excursions.

Green politician Özcan Mutlu has protested to the school committee of Berlin's House of
Representatives, calling the rule anti-constitutional and discriminatory.

"This kind of ban is okay in lessons," he told the Berlin daily Tagesspiegel. "But everything else is going too far."

Education senator Klaus Böger is defending the rule in the school committee. According to his speaker Jens Stiller, parents were supporting the rule. Some parents brought their children to school precisely because they hoped they would then learn better German, Stiller told the Tagesspiegel.

According to Mutlu, about 90 percent of the children at the school were of non-German origin. The school is located in Berlin's impoverished Wedding district which is home to many immigrant families.

Source (http://www.expatica.com/source/site_article.asp?subchannel_id=52&story_id=27009&name=Berlin%20school%20bans%20languages% 20other%20than%20German)

nordnerd
Wednesday, January 25th, 2006, 02:19 AM
Sounds like a good start :cool:

Sigurd
Wednesday, January 25th, 2006, 03:02 AM
Mr Mutlu... :speechles

In any case a good start for once. ;)

Zyklop
Wednesday, January 25th, 2006, 02:09 PM
Sounds like a good start :cool:Not at all. This could help integrating them which has to be avoided at all costs. The more they stick to their own the better for the natives.

Sigurd
Wednesday, January 25th, 2006, 07:39 PM
Not at all. This could help integrating them which has to be avoided at all costs. The more they stick to their own the better for the natives.

Well, better like in Vienna, where the lefty mayor came up with the idea of compulsory Turkish tuiton for teachers in their training! :speechles

Ælfhere
Wednesday, February 1st, 2006, 05:21 PM
I approve! :thumbsup

Sigurd
Wednesday, February 1st, 2006, 08:18 PM
It's just a useless attempt to assimilate them. :doh

Still better than the Austrian situation, where the Viennese mayor suggested that it should be compulsory for every teacher in training to be proficient in the Turkish language :runaway

Sifsvina
Thursday, February 2nd, 2006, 01:11 AM
Sigh, I thought this was great till I saw the part about %90 being non-German impoverished immigrants. Well, not a real solution but forcing them to speak the primary language of the county they are in is certainly better than how it is here. Children are amazingly capable of learning languages and immersion is the best way to learn. I'm sick of the whining about how much of a disadvantage it is to those kids, learning a second language and especially the primary language of your host country is an advantage. I wish I had had been "forced" to learn at least a second language when I was a kid! (preferably not spanish!) :mad:
:valkyrie

nordicdusk
Thursday, February 2nd, 2006, 10:29 AM
Its a shame not every country dose the same the IRISH language is dying faster and faster all the time it kills me to see that people dont care about their heritage.Our proper lanuage is seen as a joke and people say they are prond to be irish when they dont even care about who they really are.

Weg
Thursday, February 2nd, 2006, 11:57 AM
It's just a useless attempt to assimilate them.

Yep, pathetic.

I wish I had had been "forced" to learn at least a second language when I was a kid! (preferably not spanish!) :mad:

Like we Europeans have to learn English? ;)

nordicdusk
Thursday, February 2nd, 2006, 01:45 PM
Everyone been able to speak one language is ok for communicating but why people must forget their own language is a mystery.

Mistress Klaus
Friday, February 3rd, 2006, 09:53 AM
According to Mutlu, about 90 percent of the children at the school were of non-German origin. The school is located in Berlin's impoverished Wedding district which is home to many immigrant families.
Source (http://www.expatica.com/source/site_article.asp?subchannel_id=52&story_id=27009&name=Berlin%20school%20bans%20languages% 20other%20than%20German)

:eek 90 % !!!!!!!!!!

What a mess.

Blutwölfin
Friday, February 3rd, 2006, 11:55 AM
There's a school in Berlin, in the district of Kreuzberg, if I remember right, where there is NOT ONE SINGLE German child anymore. That's the new Germany. :doh

Gagnraad
Friday, February 3rd, 2006, 02:41 PM
There's a school in Berlin, in the district of Kreuzberg, if I remember right, where there is NOT ONE SINGLE German child anymore. That's the new Germany. :doh:runaway :eek
That's so sad to hear, I'm glad the situation isn't like that in Norway...YET!:~(

freya3
Friday, February 3rd, 2006, 10:59 PM
There's a school in Berlin, in the district of Kreuzberg, if I remember right, where there is NOT ONE SINGLE German child anymore. That's the new Germany. :doh

What a pity!

I had always wanted to retire to our homeland someday, but it looks as though there is NOWHERE to go!

Weg
Saturday, February 4th, 2006, 07:33 AM
What a pity!

I had always wanted to retire to our homeland someday, but it looks as though there is NOWHERE to go!

You said it. It's like a trap...

Skade
Saturday, February 4th, 2006, 06:58 PM
:runaway :eek
That's so sad to hear, I'm glad the situation isn't like that in Norway...YET!:~(

Yeah there in Norway you can wait for it to happen, the things I hear about Norway is that they are in urge to attract young people from other country's because of the ageing of the population.

Gagnraad
Saturday, February 4th, 2006, 07:05 PM
Yeah there in Norway you can wait for it to happen, the things I hear about Norway is that they are in urge to attract young people from other country's because of the ageing of the population.
Aye, there's nothing to do escept sit and wait for it...
It's like waiting for your own doom, except that this is the downfall of your country, even worse...

Sigurd
Sunday, February 5th, 2006, 02:44 AM

German schoolmate lived there when he was young. It is actually tryue. Nothing but Turkjs and people who have no social values.

And Blutwölfin, I cannot believe how wrong you are! They are all German kids! ( Seeing that German citizenship is now something that is a mixture between belonging to the whole world, especially AFricans and Turks, and a worthless booklet of 36 pages enclosed by a cardboard cover. :()

To have German citizenship doesn't mean anything those days.
To be German doesn't mean anything those days.
These are just worthless in a case of Germany, because these are those that care for Turkey and the Islamic World Order. Alternatively, caring for Israael and the Jewish world Order, something that gets a lot of sympathy in Germany these days of course.

But I won't go much further into that, for otherwise it will get a little *too* political, and to be quite honest, I am close to afraid that it already has.

It's people like you and me that are German at heart and in mind who mean something. People who really care about our Fatherland and Folk are those that will lead the way forward. Not the "Germans" as they are. "Germans" don't exist, "Germans" are an amalmagation of weirdoes that helped building up Dresden again. :rolleyes:

Gagnraad
Sunday, February 5th, 2006, 04:52 AM
You can't begin to comprehend how much I support you in this Sigurd, my friend. I feel the same thing!
As there are in Germany, it's in Norway. And those who think the same way as we do, is a true minority nowadays. IMO atleast :)

Praetorianer
Sunday, February 19th, 2006, 11:52 AM

This cannot be.I think it´s moving faster and faster till Germany is more something like "Gerturkia" or something like that.
If we wait more longer it will happen.This school above is just the beginning...

Sigurd
Sunday, February 19th, 2006, 11:25 PM
This cannot be.I think it´s moving faster and faster till Germany is more something like "Gerturkia" or something like that.
If we wait more longer it will happen.This school above is just the beginning...

"Islamic Kaliphate of New Turkey", it is.

:runaway

Praetorianer
Tuesday, February 21st, 2006, 12:16 PM
Oh,soory! :D
I heard from a comedian that if Germany get kicked out of the WM we still have our second Turkish team.It could be funny if it would be less true!