PDA

View Full Version : British Isles Surname Profiler

Vanir
Saturday, January 21st, 2006, 10:17 AM
Here is a site that I saw recently on another forum, I found it very useful and interesting.

Welcome to the Surname Profiler Project Website

A recent research project based at University College London (UCL) has investigated the distribution of surnames in Great Britain, both current and historic, in order to understand patterns of regional economic development, population movement and cultural identity. This website allows users to search the databases that we have created, and to trace the geography and history of their family names.

Surname Profiler Project Website (http://cetl2.geog.ucl.ac.uk/uclnames/Surnames.aspx)

Thruthheim
Saturday, January 21st, 2006, 10:28 AM
Looks like a good site, but it's slow loading for some reason :confused:
And it comes up with Error when i click on the surname :(

Sigrid
Wednesday, January 25th, 2006, 06:45 AM
They are having bandwidth problems with the vast numbers accessing the site. I persevered and got in. All four of the family names I put in came out in North Norfolk. I tried my partner's name and that too came out as North Norfolk. Keep trying. It works eventually. Just press the Back button if you get a clogged message and try again and you often get in. Can be a bumpy ride but if okay works well. :thumbs:

Vanir - I didn't see your earlier post and posted the same link. Sorry. :animal-sm