PDA

View Full Version : What Nordish Homelands Have You Been to?

Thruthheim
Thursday, January 19th, 2006, 12:27 PM
A poll to find out what are the most commonly visited Nordish Countries..
Please let me know if i have missed out any?

This poll is dedicated to the Homelands of Northern Europe, not colonial..:)

Blutwölfin
Thursday, January 19th, 2006, 01:16 PM
Germany - obvious.
Sweden - obvious, too.
Austria - same as above.
Iceland - FT Félagi Tamningamanna á Íslandi
Norway - several holidays
England - vacation
Scotland - vacation
Denmark - vacation
Netherlands - well, for one day. ;)

Thruthheim
Thursday, January 19th, 2006, 01:25 PM
Was the Netherlands also only at the Airport? :P

Anyway, me...

England(Born, raised and reside)
Wales
France(Normandy)
Norway(Many many times)
Sweden
Netherlands
Belgium

Blutwölfin
Thursday, January 19th, 2006, 01:26 PM
Was the Netherlands also only at the Airport? :P

No, but so close to a place I once lived that I could drive there in about 20 minutes. :P

Thruthheim
Thursday, January 19th, 2006, 01:28 PM
England and Sweden head to head at present :P

newenstad
Thursday, January 19th, 2006, 01:37 PM
I visited England and France several times, once I´ve been in Scotland (and next time I will see the old firms) and Sweden, I enjoint the Netherlands and Belgium (Now I own a "sauf bus" -sign :D ),and sometimes I visit some relatives in Switzerland...

Germany and Austria: I´ve been from the Maas to the Memel and from the Etsch to the Borderkant

I visited Liechtenstein and Estonia too but I forgot to tick "Others". I´ve also been in Poland but I wouldn´t describe Poland as Germanic country they may have some German cars but that doesn´t count... :icon_bigg

Sigurd
Thursday, January 19th, 2006, 01:54 PM
Austria - obvious
Germany - obvious
Scotland - also obvious
England - cinema trips from school ;)
Netherlands - waiting between flights was too tedious, I went to town.
Switzerland - a few day trips from when I was on vacation on the Bodensee

I think that's it then. :coffee:

Lissu
Thursday, January 19th, 2006, 02:03 PM
England - Northern England
Scotland - nice tour around Scotland during christmas holidays :)
Norway - Few times in Trondheim
Sweden - mostly just visiting Stockholm
Denmark - well I have only changed plane in Copenhagen airport :redface:
Germany - I lived there, near western border
Netherlands - Mostly walked there to do shoppings, or went to see movies :P
Belgium - Also visited there several times
Finland - quite obviously ;)
Baltics - Estonia, several times, and once in Latvia
Other - Poland. Warsaw, Krakov and Auschwitz...

Lundi
Thursday, January 19th, 2006, 02:23 PM
England - Lived there
Wales - 3 week school trip
Scotland - Holiday
Iceland - Quite Obvious
Norway - Holiday numerous times
Sweden - Lived there
Denmark - Numerous times on holiday and business
Germany - Vacation once
Netherlands – Go there quite often to meet a friend
Belgium - Vacation to meet family
Switzerland - Holiday once (Lutzern)
Finland - Took the ferry over a few times when I lived in Stockholm
Baltics(Please Specify) - Been to Tallinn and Riga (Estonia and Latvia)
France(Normandy) - On my way over to Belgium with the Eurostar, stayed in Lille for a day

Freja
Thursday, January 19th, 2006, 03:25 PM
I wasn`t sure if I should mention Norway, out of obvious reasons.

Others;
Denmark - et dejligt land, holidays. København og sildesalat og Tuborg.
Sweden - Gothenburg for the Gothenburg Horse Show numerous times, and also Skåne on one occasion. I love swedes!
Finland - went to a real smoke sauna, followed by skinnydipping in a really freezingly cold little lake (one of thousands). Memory of a lifetime.
Germany - passing through several times.
England - London. Love it, love it, love it.

Thruthheim
Thursday, January 19th, 2006, 03:32 PM
I wasn`t sure if I should mention Norway, out of obvious reasons.

Others;
Denmark - et dejligt land, holidays. København og sildesalat og Tuborg.
Sweden - Gothenburg for the Gothenburg Horse Show numerous times, and also Skåne on one occasion. I love swedes!
Finland - went to a real smoke sauna, followed by skinnydipping in a really freezingly cold little lake (one of thousands). Memory of a lifetime.
Germany - passing through several times.
England - London. Love it, love it, love it.

You Love London? Sarcasm or just a Multicultural Lover :P

Wiseman
Thursday, January 19th, 2006, 03:49 PM
I've only been to
Sweden (A couple of times, on holiday)
Finland
Estonia (I guess I just enjoy the..ehem..culture of Eesti Vabariik.. The architecture is nice. And oh! You can always get a "few" bottles to take home) ;)

Vreid
Thursday, January 19th, 2006, 04:40 PM
Norway: Born and raised.
Sweden: Almost yearly to Göteborg on family visits.
Denmark: Several vacations.
England: London once. Took train from Harwich. The countryside is beautiful with those small villages.

Elsewhere it has been outside of Nordish homelands - and got robbed! :scratch:

ikki
Thursday, January 19th, 2006, 04:47 PM
Estonia.. hehhe ;)
After just going for booze a few times you begin to discover the neater details.. there are actually some pretty intresting things you can do there.

Now my list above lacks belgium & france (drive-thru bournsmouth, eng -> paris & eurodisney. Went looking at some of the more usual things at paris, lasted a whole day)

And berlin, while staying a whole week, nothing much was done.. no, parents insisted upon getting a car and driving... 5 hours minimum every day, as opposed to less than an hour with trains/subways. Oh, and always so tired..
Bah, next time ill get a guide from here :D

Freja
Thursday, January 19th, 2006, 06:31 PM
You Love London? Sarcasm or just a Multicultural Lover :P

The latter, of course.:speechles

Really - I feel offended.

Sigurd
Thursday, January 19th, 2006, 08:42 PM

Oh come on ;)

Nothing wrong with our "equally-righted maximally-pigmented fellow citizens" from Pakhistan and other South-Eastern countries, now, is there? :P

Plus, we cannot be so hard on them, they'll be our future rulers. :speechles

svenskfinsk
Thursday, January 19th, 2006, 09:34 PM
Denmark
Norway
Germany
Switzerland
England
Finland

I would like to visit Iceland and Russia too someday.

Thruthheim
Thursday, January 19th, 2006, 10:29 PM

You feel offended? Sarcasm again :confused:

Trust me i live in London.. and i think 99.9% will agree with me, that despite it's numerous qualities, it's now a third world slum, one of which i am a foreigner in.

Aptrgangr
Thursday, January 19th, 2006, 11:27 PM
Germany-> Homeland (I have visited almost all regions)
Austria: I have family in the wonderful Ostmark near Linz
Switzerland: I very often have been there, nice coutry, I lived near the border, when weather was nice I could see the wonderful Apls of Switzerland from where I lived...
Belgium: vacation, nice land, nice people (natives!) (both, Flanders and Walloon)
Netherlands: vacation, I fact most Dutch like us "moffen" :P
Luxembourg: small and fine, several short trips, one time with Y-tours (Army)
France: I have been for a short trip in the Normandy, but I visited Alsace mostly
England: 2 weeks vacation in London, I visited some sights but mostly spent my time in museums like Imperial War Museum, Royal Airforce Museum...

TisaAnne
Thursday, January 19th, 2006, 11:54 PM
My goodness... many of you are quite the world travelers! I feel so terribly envious... I have never been anywhere, really. :( My first ever trip outside of the US was up to Canada, where I have visited several times in the last six months... other than that, though, I haven't even done any real travelling around my own country. I guess I lead a rather sheltered life. ;)

I would like to travel all over the place... but, particularly, visiting Germany would probably be the highlight of my life. It would mean a lot for me to see, first hand, the country that my family comes from. I was planning a trip there for the end of this month (my boyfriend and I even purchased our tickets), but too many "issues" have been coming up :rolleyes:, so I cancelled them a couple of days ago... Ah, well. Maybe some other time, I hope!

Also, I'm really hoping to see Finland, someday. To me, Finland has always seemed to be such a fascinating, almost magical land, and I would like nothing more than to spend a few months exploring and discovering it for myself. :)

Of course, I'd also like to visit just about every country in the poll... to experience a multitude of differnt landscapes and cultures, and to encounter the different kinds of people who call such places home, would be a most thrilling and exciting adventure! In particular, though, I would like to visit Denmark and Norway, as I have some dear friends that I would like to meet in both of those countries... but, at the moment, going anywhere other than here would suffice. :P

Btw, it seems as if it's quite easy for you Europeans to get around to different countries... so convenient, it appears as if you could just hop in your car, or on a train, and drive to the nearest country, without much difficulty... Do you all find that travelling to and fro is just so simple as that?

Alice
Friday, January 20th, 2006, 12:29 AM
I've always wanted to see Finland, too. Something about that country and its tranquil beauty has always intrigued me. Perhaps my fascination might stem from the fact that I had a Finnish boyfriend in pre-school (my mother says we were quite enamoured with each other!). All joking aside, I'd be eager to visit someday.

ikki
Friday, January 20th, 2006, 12:44 AM
Btw, it seems as if it's quite easy for you Europeans to get around to different countries... so convenient, it appears as if you could just hop in your car, or on a train, and drive to the nearest country, without much difficulty... Do you all find that travelling to and fro is just so simple as that?

In many places yes, roads migh be pretty filled up too..and tolls etc making things more difficult.

Me, i now mostly about the ferries going to estonia or sweden, and its just that easy. Get a ticket, like to any movie theater and jump aboard ;)

Lissu
Friday, January 20th, 2006, 01:08 AM
Also, I'm really hoping to see Finland, someday. To me, Finland has always seemed to be such a fascinating, almost magical land, and I would like nothing more than to spend a few months exploring and discovering it for myself. :) Yay! :animal-sm

When you do that, don't forget to let us know ;)

Btw, it seems as if it's quite easy for you Europeans to get around to different countries... so convenient, it appears as if you could just hop in your car, or on a train, and drive to the nearest country, without much difficulty... Do you all find that travelling to and fro is just so simple as that?Indeed... This is the case especially in continental Europe, where distances are not long at all. Vienna and Budapest are some 50 km away from each others for example. Most countries are also so small than it takes only few hours to drive from border to border.

In Germany I lived so near the border that I used to walk to the Netherlands. And besides that I rather went shopping in Brussels than nearest bigger German cities :P

In Finland it's much more difficult to go to other countries except in Russia, but elsewhere one have to take either ferry or plane, except in northern parts of the country where Sweden and Norway are near. Well to Russia one must have a passport and visa, while in continental Europe there is no need for such things, and there is even the same currency in most EU countries which helps things a lot :D

SaveEurope
Friday, January 20th, 2006, 04:03 AM
I travelled through Switzerland and stayed with a nice Austrian family just outside Vienna in a town called Baden. :animal-sm While there, I visited Mauthausen not once but twice! :speechles :speechles

Technically, I've also been in Germany. Our bus made a wrong turn somewhere near Salzburg and we crossed the border into Germany.:cool:

Thruthheim
Friday, January 20th, 2006, 04:13 AM

Easy... Yes.

I can get a cheap, real cheap, Ryanair, to Norway and im there within 2 hrs.

I can get the Eurostar(Bullet train) from London to Brussels or Paris in no time.

Flights to catch some sun are only about 2 Hours if im going to Spain, or 3 and a half hours to Greece.

Ferry's from Harwich(east anglia) to Holland are easy.. So obviously a flight to Germany i think maybe alittle quicker than flying to Norway.

Thusnelda
Saturday, January 21st, 2006, 05:07 PM
I visit regularly Austria and Switzerland. We make often vacations there. :)
Furthmore, I was two times in Iceland and one time in the Netherlands.

Arcturus
Saturday, January 21st, 2006, 06:00 PM
My best holiday to date was spent in a little town called Andermatt, in Switzerland.... I'm not much of a prodigy on skiis but such wonderful landscape and native culture...

Thruthheim
Saturday, January 21st, 2006, 06:05 PM
My best holiday to date was spent in a little town called Andermatt, in Switzerland.... I'm not much of a prodigy on skiis but such wonderful landscape and native culture...

My best holiday, hmm.. Center Parcs as a child in England :)

Favourite destinations now? Norway and Greece.

Siegfried
Saturday, January 21st, 2006, 06:18 PM
England, Scotland, Denmark, Germany, the Netherlands, Belgium, Autria, Switzerland, and France. I hope to visit Iceland in the future.

Thruthheim
Saturday, January 21st, 2006, 06:57 PM
England, Scotland, Denmark, Germany, the Netherlands, Belgium, Autria, Switzerland, and France. I hope to visit Iceland in the future.

Norway is the Best, go to Norge ;)

Nordgau
Saturday, January 21st, 2006, 07:24 PM
England, France (also Normandy), Belgium, Germany, Austria of the mentioned countries.

I forgot to click on "others", but I've also been to Luxemburg. One would also have to add Italy here, technically, as it possesses South Tyrol, where I've also already been to ...

Thruthheim
Sunday, January 22nd, 2006, 05:46 PM
I am pleased to see England has been the most prolific tourist destination amongst the Nords.. Sweden not far behind :)

Sigurd
Sunday, January 22nd, 2006, 05:49 PM
I am pleased to see England has been the most prolific tourist destination amongst the Nords.. Sweden not far behind :)

And then Germany :)

GreenHeart
Tuesday, January 24th, 2006, 11:24 PM
The only nordish country I've been to is Germany. Comparing the two, I wouldn't consider where I come from to be nordish (the Northern US).

fog
Tuesday, January 24th, 2006, 11:32 PM
I can get the Eurostar(Bullet train) from London to Brussels or Paris in no time. There a bridge connecting England to mainland Europe?

Thruthheim
Tuesday, January 24th, 2006, 11:35 PM
There a bridge connecting England to mainland Europe?

Channel Tunnel

ikki
Thursday, January 26th, 2006, 10:47 PM
Channel Tunnel

Napoleons dream finally fulfilled :D

Weg
Friday, January 27th, 2006, 03:45 AM
There a bridge connecting England to mainland Europe?

Is this humour?

fog
Friday, January 27th, 2006, 03:20 PM
Is this humour? It is for those who find my ignorance entertaining.

Mr_Doctor
Friday, December 8th, 2006, 01:22 AM
The only nordish country I've been to is Germany. Comparing the two, I wouldn't consider where I come from to be nordish (the Northern US)

nätdeutsch
Friday, December 8th, 2006, 01:33 AM
Iceland is just as colonial as America, Canada and Australia...

BasqueDirndl
Friday, December 8th, 2006, 01:42 AM
I didn't know that Ireland was considered nordish. I don't know is it?

Thruthheim
Friday, December 8th, 2006, 01:47 AM
I didn't know that Ireland was considered nordish. I don't know is it?

Yeah 'tis. It's classed as Northern European, and the sub-types are largely Nordish.

BasqueDirndl
Friday, December 8th, 2006, 01:51 AM
Yeah 'tis. It's classed as Northern European, and the sub-types are largely Nordish.Thats true it is northern europe. I just wasn't sure if it was considered nordish or not.