PDA

View Full Version : How should we English identify with our Forebears?

Thruthheim
Tuesday, January 17th, 2006, 06:30 PM
As an Englishman, i identify with being English, British, Germanic, Nordic, Anglo-Saxon and due to mainstream society, sometimes "White"..

But, us English, are mainly by and large the product of successful migrations from the Germanic peoples, whom created us.
The peoples who had an input, were some of the greatest invaders, trades people and skilled craftsmen that had conquered lands..

The Angles, The Saxons, The Jutes, The Frisians, The Norse Vikings, The Normans... The Mix of North and South Germanic..

But, we are aligned now, tribally, with the AngloSaxons as our identity.. This often means, just that, the Angles and the Saxons.. But, i have always felt that has ignored the various other invaders who inturn gave their genetic input into our Nordic mix. I often hear, largely in jest, Scandinavians say this to me "We came and raped your woman.. And took them back with us".
Things like that, to me, don't make much sense.. i feel i could be a mix of all the tribes who invaded England, i likely have some Viking blood, however small, within me, just like i would have blood from the other invaders..

Historians often refer to us in the battle of Stamford Bridge for example, as "the English", But, what would that make us after those of the Viking settlers mixed into our gene pool, in some areas of England, rather significantly? When did we become English? Did it begin with the Anglo Saxons? What significance have the Ancient Britons got to do with When England was English?

The Vikings and the Normans(Dane/Norwegian Origins) came, the Normans were more successful in actually conquering England, and replacing our Aristocracy and Monarchy with a Dane-Norwegian originating elite.. Why then, didn't we English, the Anglo Saxons people become known as Vikings? Was it because the Vikings didn't hail from England, because the Viking homeland was Scandinavia? Was it due to them not having as greater effect on our populus as the AngloSaxons? Why not then the Normans, why did that name not become synonymous with who we are? Was that because they didn't come here with a huge population also?

I find pride, in my heritage from all the Nordic invaders, from the Angles, to the Jutes, to the Saxons and to the Vikings.. i feel they are all significant in who us English really are.. When i label myself Anglo Saxon, it's in acknowledgement of all those great invaders, not solely limited to those particular 2.

Thoughts?

HallowedGround
Thursday, January 19th, 2006, 03:04 AM
Well, i'm definitely anglo-saxon in appearance but I also have Irish ancestry. As far as I am aware the viking type has a tall thin head and anglo saxon types a short wide head.

Thruthheim
Thursday, January 19th, 2006, 03:20 AM
Well, i'm definitely anglo-saxon in appearance but I also have Irish ancestry. As far as I am aware the viking type has a tall thin head and anglo saxon types a short wide head.

Well i have a tall thin head.. But being English, identify more with AngloSaxons, but in reference to our ancestry, it this case, it doesn't have to solely be down to Appearance. The difference is too small between the 2.

This tall, broad-shouldered and characteristically blond type is - morphologically - an overgrown Hallstatt Nordic, with a large head and face, as well as more than average-sized hands and feet. The face is long, and shows a marked skeletal relief, giving it a somewhat rugged and angular impression. The nose is large, very leptorrhine, and usually straight, with a convex minority. The lips are rather thin

Long face is Anglo Saxon also. Maybe due largely to the Halstatt Nordic element?

RedJack
Friday, January 20th, 2006, 02:14 AM
All the tribes that settled England beginning at least with the Celts (and quite possibly earlier) were racially very similar. Take the Danes as an example. They came from the same area of the continent as the Anglo-Saxons who preceded them, they were basically the same people, and could probably still understand each other. They were really long separated cousins re-united.