PDA

View Full Version : The Runic Calendar

Blutwölfin
Monday, December 5th, 2005, 01:00 PM
There are different views on this topic (from Odal to Fehu and the other way around), my cycle of the year starts with Odal (cycle of Urd = experiences from past observations), while the cycle of consciousness start with Fehu (cycle of Skuld = awaited implementation of the near future). Verdandi represents the focus between both of these cycles (connection of nature and mind).

Calendar 2006 (starting with the winter solstice 2005, 12. 21.):

1. New Moon 31.12.

Odal starts as highest disbandment through the stagnation of winter; the cycle arrives at the origin, from which legacy the world will arise new.

Fehu refers to the property, which was gained in the past. Material goods as well as the goods of the mind and the spirit of the ancestors are the qualities that most show up during the dark time of year.

1. Full Moon: 14.01.

Dagaz is the beginning element of the new cycle. It is marked with growing light. Here lies the mystery of return.

Uruz shows the power coming from Fehu. At this point the new is forming while it is destroying the old.

2. New Moon: 29.01.

Ingwaz preludes the motion of the new year. It’s the remark of the ultimate cycle of life and death.

Thurisaz is the pure deed, which cleans the new path with destroying all interferingly elements. One starts to define oneself and asserts oneself.

2. Full Moon: 13.02.

Laguz symbolizes the awakening potential of life (of Niflheim). Life starts to stir.

Ansuz makes the legacy breaks through. It’s the time that makes the impact of the reason visible.

3. New Moon: 28.02.

Mannaz symbolizes the change of the elements (towards spring) and the time of connection (Nature/Gods – Humans)

Raido is the time of journey and self-awareness, the floating between order and creative chaos.

3. Full Moon: 15.03.

Ehwaz is the symbiosis of the world and its lives, the collective change in the time of the light, the motion.

Kenaz shows the diseases of life and holds the hope of recovery.

Dvergr
Tuesday, December 6th, 2011, 09:30 PM
I had thought for 2012 instead of buying a Gregorian Calendar I would attempt to create the best version of a Runic Calendar I could.

The Runic Calendar is a perpetual calendar based on the 19 year cycles of the moon. In the early calendars, each of the 19 years were represented by one of the runes of the Younger Futhark, however since only 16 runes exist in this set there were 3 extra runes added specifically for the calendar ... Arlaug, Tvimadur, and Belgthor. On one line, 52 weeks of 7 days are laid out using the first seven runes of the Younger Futhark. Leap Year was not taken into account. The runes corresponding to each week day varied from year to year. Special days like solstice, equinox and celebrations were marked above the symbols.

I am currently deciding if I should do this on paper or actually carve it into wood. I do not know exactly how long of a piece I would need for this, but I also have some questions I wondered if anyone had more information. I am wondering for one if I should just use the first 19 runes of the Elder Futhark, since I attune most to them, but this is more of an inner question. I believe they might have had two calendars, one for summer and one for winter, I suppose breaking the calendar into 2 halves of the year. I also wonder exactly what extra symbols / runes were used above the runic dates to represent moon cycles / equinox / solstice / celebrations. I also would like to follow as many of the traditional celebrations next year as I can, I suppose starting with the Disablot (which I think is the earliest) so I need to know what the relevant traditional celebrations were and what symbols should represent them as well.

Last but not least, what runic year are we in ? I guess if I used the Elder Futhark anyhow it wouldn't matter, but I would have to repeat only the first 19 runes and I could correspond which one of them it is compared to next years Younger Futhark rune. Then I am left with a few runes, but I leave a lot up for interpretation anyhow so I could figure out something meaningful to do with them.

GroeneWolf
Wednesday, December 7th, 2011, 04:59 AM
Last but not least, what runic year are we in ?

As far as I know Runic year is a pretty modern invention. Changes are is that our ancestors counted years in form of the how many years there king had sat on the throne. Something we can see in other cultures, if they do not go for some kind of important event in the past.

Dvergr
Wednesday, December 7th, 2011, 03:37 PM
As far as I know Runic year is a pretty modern invention. Changes are is that our ancestors counted years in form of the how many years there king had sat on the throne. Something we can see in other cultures, if they do not go for some kind of important event in the past.

Most likely somewhat more modern like 1200's I think is the earliest records found, but they had to be calculating moon cycles prior to that as it is the best way to determine how far you are into a season or year, or close to the next. The runic calendar from what I understand was a way to "carve out" a more set and planned physical system of the calculation of a year. They knew of the 19 year metonic cyclical system of the moon so they just decided at some point to carve it out. I find it fascinating they knew this, obviously it was from prior knowledge before artifacts of the runic calendars were found. Just like how the Prose Edda is from around the 1200's as well, of course these were stories going back probably thousands of years passed on through word of mouth. The cyclical knowledge of the moon / sun / seasons probably goes back as far as well. Even if the runic calendars are a more modern invention, they are loaded with ancient germanic history, traditions and knowledge.

velvet
Thursday, December 8th, 2011, 12:07 PM
They knew of the 19 year metonic cyclical system of the moon so they just decided at some point to carve it out. I find it fascinating they knew this, obviously it was from prior knowledge before artifacts of the runic calendars were found.

The knowledge of cycles and their connection to the season and how this knowledge can be used is extremely old, the megalith cultures knew it, the Bronze age cultures knew it, the Vedic culture even takes star cycles into account that stretch over millions of years. In antiquity it obviously was common knowledge.

If you understand German, here is a docu about the Nebra disc titled "Der Herr der Himmelsscheibe (http://dokujunkies.org/dokus/astronomie/herr-der-himmelsscheibe-der-jahrtausendfund-von-nebra-dtv-xvid.html)" (master of the star disc, but there might be also some in English), the Nebra disc with its 3600 years being the oldest portable calendar of humanity.

For the runic year stuff, such concepts are rather old too, in China there's the "year of {zodiac}", even in our western calendar the zodiacs also refer to Ages (cycles of about 2000 years, the Age of Pisces is about to end) and not only month of birth, it is still present and there's no real reason why it shouldnt have existed from times immemorial.

For your transcription from the Younger Futhork Runes to the Elder Futhark, look also here (http://www.arild-hauge.com/), since the referencing runes cannot be conducted by simply taking the first 19, this way you wouldnt get the according meaning of the rune. I would agree with you though that the Elder Futhark might be the better choice since it seems the more complete and in this set the "numerical mythology/methodology" is still intact. Edred Thorsson gives some interesting hints to that in his rune-magic books.

I find this endeavor an interesting idea, good luck with that.

raedwald
Friday, December 9th, 2011, 06:17 PM
Looks an interresting concept!!!