PDA

View Full Version : Sauerkraut could fight bird flu

Avero Hontu
Tuesday, November 15th, 2005, 01:18 PM
So very precisely timed in the beginning of the influensa era there is a new discovery which will help us through the dangerous times.

A South Korean scientist claims that the sauerkraut contains bacteria which prove useful against ordinary flu as well as the bird flu. The scientist claims that he feeded 13 sick hens with sauerkraut and they healed within a week.

The news originates from the Sun and as such shoud be taken with a bit of humour probably.

Anyway as all the outifts in the shops suggest it is almost christmas time, what are your general opinions about black sausages, sauerkraut and cranberry jam ?

Blondie
Tuesday, November 15th, 2005, 01:30 PM
Either way, I find sauerkraut gross.

Blutwölfin
Tuesday, November 15th, 2005, 01:31 PM
Does this mean that there won't be bird flu in Bavaria? :D

Avero Hontu
Tuesday, November 15th, 2005, 02:34 PM
Yep, no bird flu, just the digestion problems. :speechles

QuietWind
Tuesday, November 15th, 2005, 04:14 PM
They talked about slaes of sauerkraut being up since the release of this news, but have they considered that it cold also be due to other things such as the various German heritage celebrations that occur around this time of the year?

Alos, the article talked about lower breast cancer rates in Polish-immigrant women potentially related to sauerkraut-- I wonder if the same is true for German-immigrant women. I wonder how this relates to Polish and German women who are not newly immigrated, but rather the families have lived in the US for many generations.

I love sauerkraut. It's sometimes difficult to find good sauerkraut here in the stores. We do carry imported brands from Germany, but like I was saying, they are sometimes difficult to find. I don't care for the American Del Monte brand at all. Yuck.
http://www.upnorthservices.com/images/Del%20Monte%20Sauerkraut.jpg

Death and the Sun
Tuesday, November 15th, 2005, 10:48 PM
black sausages, sauerkraut and cranberry jam ?

Very nice, at least the black sausages we have here. I assume the Estonian ones are more or less the same.