PDA

View Full Version : Vatican Admits Evolution is Real

Death and the Sun
Monday, November 7th, 2005, 06:57 PM
Only a century or so later than the rest of the world. Are these people catching up or what ?!?

THE Vatican has issued a stout defence of Charles Darwin, voicing strong criticism of Christian fundamentalists who reject his theory of evolution and interpret the biblical account of creation literally.
Cardinal Paul Poupard, head of the Pontifical Council for Culture, said the Genesis description of how God created the universe and Darwin's theory of evolution were "perfectly compatible" if the Bible were read correctly.

His statement was a clear attack on creationist campaigners in the US, who see evolution and the Genesis account as mutually exclusive.

"The fundamentalists want to give a scientific meaning to words that had no scientific aim," he said at a Vatican press conference. He said the real message in Genesis was that "the universe didn't make itself and had a creator".

This idea was part of theology, Cardinal Poupard emphasised, while the precise details of how creation and the development of the species came about belonged to a different realm - science. Cardinal Poupard said that it was important for Catholic believers to know how science saw things so as to "understand things better".

His statements were interpreted in Italy as a rejection of the "intelligent design" view, which says the universe is so complex that some higher being must have designed every detail.

Story.l (http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117,17162341-13762,00.html)

Arcturus
Monday, November 7th, 2005, 07:05 PM
I foresee trouble from the Creationists...:rolleyes:

Death and the Sun
Monday, November 7th, 2005, 07:17 PM
I foresee trouble from the Creationists...:rolleyes:

I foresee trouble for them. This will only marginalise them further, if that is actually even possible.

You must give the Vatican some credit though; for surviving for centuries upon centuries, when one would have thought that their own greed, corruption and hypocrisy would have done them in ages ago. So no matter how clueless they may seem to us, it's apparent that they know something we don't.

hauer
Monday, November 7th, 2005, 08:54 PM
Bible Harness (http://www.abarnett.demon.co.uk/atheism/bibleharness.html)

Nordgau
Tuesday, November 8th, 2005, 07:20 PM
Only a century or so later than the rest of the world. Are these people catching up or what ?!?

Darwin--a small fry. The canonization of Luther would be the real surprise of the year. :D

jcs
Tuesday, November 8th, 2005, 07:29 PM
THE Vatican has issued a stout defence of Charles Darwin, voicing strong criticism of Christian fundamentalists who reject his theory of evolution and interpret the biblical account of creation literally.
Cardinal Paul Poupard, head of the Pontifical Council for Culture, said the Genesis description of how God created the universe and Darwin's theory of evolution were "perfectly compatible" if the Bible were read correctly.
A seemingly positive development for the Church. Maybe with this Biblical literalism set aside, interpretations with more depth might become more common.
...Doubtful, though, given this:

"The fundamentalists want to give a scientific meaning to words that had no scientific aim," he said at a Vatican press conference. He said the real message in Genesis was that "the universe didn't make itself and had a creator".
This encourages just as superficial an interpretation as that of Creationists. Read your Eckhart! Could Genesis possibly have an esoteric interpretation...?

HIM
Tuesday, November 8th, 2005, 07:39 PM
I'm liking the Catholic church more and more these days. :D

A previous thread of mine: http://www.forums.skadi.net/showthread.php?t=9522&highlight=creationist

Blondie
Wednesday, November 9th, 2005, 12:34 PM
They need to admit much more than that. They need to admit that there has been sexual abuse in its ranks for decades upon decades, instead of the "hush hush" atmosphere within their cathedrals.

They need to "catch up" to modern life. They're set back about 200 years or more.

Constantinus
Wednesday, November 9th, 2005, 03:25 PM
They need to "catch up" to modern life. They're set back about 200 years or more.

Oh yes, let them catch up with the wonders of modernity like the rest of the Western World has done, and be done with the last European Institute which keeps even a spark of European identity intact. Perhaps they can now sanction gay marriage. What better way to demonstrate they caught up with times eh.

I am not against the theory of evolution by the way, and I don't oppose this particular move of the Holy Roman Church, so don't anyone here say I equate recognizing sodomite marriage with recognizing the theory of evolution.

Blondie
Wednesday, November 9th, 2005, 05:48 PM
Oh yes, let them catch up with the wonders of modernity like the rest of the Western World has done, and be done with the last European Institute which keeps even a spark of European identity intact. Perhaps they can now sanction gay marriage. What better way to demonstrate they caught up with times eh.

:rolleyes: That was not what I was getting at at all.

For example, some of their priests are gay. Should they sanction gay priests? They wouldn't and really couldn't do that. They may or may not know which priests are gay and which ones aren't.
:coffee:

HIM
Wednesday, November 9th, 2005, 07:47 PM
I know why the Catholic Church is so much better these days!

They have a German former Hitler-youth as the pope now. :P

Constantinus
Wednesday, November 9th, 2005, 07:57 PM
My post said nothing about gay priests.

Blondie
Wednesday, November 9th, 2005, 07:59 PM
My post said nothing about gay priests.
I made an example, as I pointed that out.