PDA

View Full Version : Do You Wear Glasses/Contact Lenses?

Arcturus
Monday, October 17th, 2005, 07:10 PM
A simple yes/no poll. The subject may be expanded on at a later date.

Lissu
Monday, October 17th, 2005, 07:21 PM
I have no need for glasses, let alone contacts, but when the sun is shining I always wear sunglasses because my sensitive eyes.

Triglav
Monday, October 17th, 2005, 08:44 PM
shining I always wear sunglasses because my sensitive eyes.

Yep, I can feel for you. --> :cool:

I did wear glasses until my mid teens and fortunately my vision has improved considerably.

Arcturus
Monday, October 17th, 2005, 08:47 PM
My eyesight started declining around the age of 11, and stopped declining around age 18. I mainly use contact lenses these days, am considering laser surgery once I can afford it.

Sigurd
Monday, October 17th, 2005, 08:53 PM
I chose "no" because I am supposed to but don't.

EDIT: I have to add, though that I am only a little shortsighted, and therefore don't see much point.

Odal_
Monday, October 17th, 2005, 09:27 PM
I dont need it any more. my eyes are great now... I skipped wearing my glasses and trained my eyes... I got almost as good eyes you could have.. :)
But when I was a child doctors thought I whould be blind if I didn´t weared my glasses... and that even if I weared my glasses my eyes whould only be worse.

Siegfried
Monday, October 17th, 2005, 09:46 PM
Yes, I wear glasses. My eyesight is poor.

Helleruin
Wednesday, October 19th, 2005, 12:03 AM
I don't .

lei.talk
Saturday, October 22nd, 2005, 10:10 PM
considering laser surgery once I can afford it.were you informed
that the permanent adjustment
is only functional
for the altitude at which you receive the operation?

i have traveled with guys
that loose their lasik (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=lasik&btnG=Google+Search)-acquired visual-acuity
on the air-liner or in the mountains or at sea-level
(depending on where they purchased the lasik).

some are shocked;
some were warned before the surgery.

i know a couple of guys
that (as part of their man-o-pause)
bought lasik, a sports-car, a younger wife,
a sail-boat and a trip to everest.

they were both temporarily blind
from the altitude.

scratching or zapping my eyes
as an elective procedure...
well, i am glad that

i have always done my eye-exercises.

Lissu
Saturday, October 22nd, 2005, 10:37 PM
My friend had an eye-surgery some years ago. Her parents bought the surgery to all their children. My friend suffered from dry eyes for quite some time after the surgery but got rid of her classes. Her brother was not as lucky, his surgery failed.

Of course those surgeries improve all the time, but still, there are always risks.

SaveEurope
Saturday, October 22nd, 2005, 10:44 PM
I wear contacts these days. :redface:

Aor
Saturday, October 22nd, 2005, 10:56 PM
I would like to take back my vote: I'm going to the doctor's on Monday to get contact lenses. My new job demands it.

GreenHeart
Sunday, November 6th, 2005, 11:48 AM
I wear contacts, I am nearsighted, started getting blurry vision around 13 from far away, when I was 15 I couldn't read the chalkboard anymore so I had to get contacts to do well in my algebra and history class. Since I have contacts, my vision has only gotton worse, but seems to hit a plateau for now and has not really changed in the past couple years. I think that vision correction trains the eyes to be lazy.

I am interested to know about the eye training exercises. I would never consider laser surgery it seems far too painful and dangerous. I would not want my vision to get worse from it either. My grandma had laser eye correction for her nearsightedness but now she can't read fine print, and must wear reading glasses, so what's the use?

Loki
Sunday, November 6th, 2005, 11:54 AM
I am shortsighted, and inherited it from my mother. My father had excellent eyes.

Death and the Sun
Sunday, November 6th, 2005, 11:59 AM
In a word, no, I don't. My eyesight is quite good, or at least satisfactory.

GreenHeart
Sunday, November 6th, 2005, 12:05 PM
Yeah my dad has bad vision from far away but doesnt wear his glasses at all. My mom had perfect vision until she got scratched by a cat in the eyes, then she became farsighted, her distance vision is something like 2010... which is good for her driving job. My brother also has good vision.

I think it has more to do with nutritional deficiencies and weak eye muscles than genetics. I was eating pretty much only junkfood when my eyes started to get bad before I always had perfect vision.

Torkil
Sunday, November 6th, 2005, 12:42 PM
I am sharp-sighted like a hawk:lundi:

Blondie
Sunday, November 6th, 2005, 02:06 PM
Yes, I wear glasses most of the time, though occasionally I will wear my contact lenses. :coffee:

Lars_
Sunday, November 6th, 2005, 02:24 PM
<----

D'Vadder
Wednesday, December 20th, 2006, 07:30 AM
No, not yet... :D

Blood_Axis
Wednesday, December 20th, 2006, 10:45 AM
4-eyes & proud of it :glasses

Ortega y Gasset
Saturday, December 23rd, 2006, 10:49 PM
I wear neither... God gave me a pair of healthy eyes for which I am grateful :)

Gefjon
Wednesday, December 19th, 2007, 05:39 AM
So, do you and if so, what are you suffering from? I don't, but I have some myopia in my family so I'm not feeling secure for the rest of my days. :(

Is myopia (and other sight problems) a pred. caucasian problem? I've hardly ever seen negroes with glassesand sunglasses don't count. :p

mischak
Wednesday, December 19th, 2007, 05:49 AM
So, do you and if so, what are you suffering from? I don't, but I have some myopia in my family so I'm not feeling secure for the rest of my days. :(

Is myopia (and other sight problems) a pred. caucasian problem? I've hardly ever seen negroes with glassesand sunglasses don't count. :p

I found this:

Ethnicity and race

The prevalence of myopia in has been reported as high as 70-90&#37; in some Asian countries. 30-40% in Europe and the United States, and 10-20% in Africa.[21]

Myopia is less common in black, Nubians, and Sudanese people.[10] In Americans between the ages of 12 and 54, myopia has been found to affect whites less than blacks.[33]. Asians had the highest prevalence (78.5%), followed by Hispanics (13.2%). Whites had the lowest prevalence of myopia (4.4%), which was not significantly different from African Americans (6.6%). For hyperopia, whites had the highest prevalence (19.3%), followed by Hispanics (12.7%). Asians had the lowest prevalence of hyperopia (6.3%) and were not significantly different from African Americans (6.4%). For astigmatism, Asians and Hispanics had the highest prevalences (33.6% and 36.9%, respectively) and did not differ from each other (P = .17). African Americans had the lowest prevalence of astigmatism (20.0%), followed by whites (26.4%)[36].

Anyway, I started having to wear glasses for near-sightedness at around 12 or 13. My vision has gradually become worse over the years too (as of right now it's -3.75 in left eye, -3.00 in right), but at least it's not as bad as my mother who is considered legally blind without glasses/contacts. Glaucoma also runs in my family so I'm a little scared about that :(. Oh, I also have astigmatism in one eye.

I usually wear contacts now, but when I'm too lazy or staying at home most of the day I'll wear glasses. Also, I have to wear them by law while driving :o.

Next World
Wednesday, December 19th, 2007, 05:57 AM
I'm nearsighted, by modern medical standards. However, I haven't worn glasses regularly since 8th grade, and rarely since the start of high school. I know I haven't worn them in at least two years. I've never worn contacts... I don't like things going near my eyes; putting something beneath my eyelid and over my cornea would be too much for me.

My actual problem is "eye teaming". If I focus myself on a series of lights, I can see as well, if not better than most people.

My vision has gradually been improving since I decided to rely on the naked eye, as wearing glasses for nearsightedness didn't really help to team my eyes properly. It simply caused them to adjust to fit the lenses I had.

I still have some "issue days". This morning, after watching a film in the dark, when the lights went back on my vision probably would have tested about twenty-two hundred, which is the worst mine has ever been (I'm usually ~20/40, although I used to be ~20/100.). After a few minutes (and a series of long and short blinks and a game of peekaboo with myself) my eyes were back to normal. The problem is that when my pupils are adjusting to different lighting (remember, this happens every time we blink or even let our eyelids slip), one of them is literally slower than the other. Strangely, more people have this problem than you'd think.

I do eye exercises to synchronize them.

Sounds stupid, but it works.

I also used to do rapid-motion reading exercises (They give you a series of letters and numbers in about an 8pt font that you hold 2 feet from your eyes, and you tape the same series in a 32pt font to a wall 10 feet away. You read the first character on the close paper, and the next on the wall. You alternate until you finish the sheet. It is helpful for nearsightedness and farsightedness.).

It helped my eye-teaming to some degree, but considering it is designed for nearsighted or farsighted people, it didn't totally affect me.

Freydis
Wednesday, December 19th, 2007, 06:47 AM
I have worn glasses since the age of 13. I cannot see things far away very well, though I can still see and survive fine without my glasses due to the bizarre balance of my poor vision. One of my eyes is very poor and the other is nearly perfect, supplying me with a balance that I can get away with. I have no problem with wearing glasses whatsoever. I don't want to wear contacts even though I've been told I'd be prettier with them, nor do I want to get laser eye surgery (too many associated problems?).

However, I like wearing glasses. I like the aesthetic.

Brynhild
Wednesday, December 19th, 2007, 06:52 AM
I have been prescribed with glasses since I was six. I'm short-sided in one eye and long-sighted in the other. I've never worn contacts and have no desire to, as I only wear my glasses for driving and occasionally watching tv. Under normal circumstances, I see reasonably well but I dare say that's already starting to change as some small print is becoming challenging. :D

Leof
Wednesday, December 19th, 2007, 07:41 AM
Nada, I can see everything with my X-Ray onion eye-glasses!:eek:

The Lawspeaker
Wednesday, December 19th, 2007, 07:57 AM
I don't wear glasses or contacts. Allthough I do have a tendency to squint when I am very tired and I need to blink every now and then when I am reading something so I perhaps I should consider paying a visit to the ophthalmic medical practitioner and see what he comes up with. Where possible do I always wear sunglasses in the summer since my eyes don't really seem to like the sharp light of the summer sun.

Drakkar
Wednesday, December 19th, 2007, 08:28 AM
I wear contacts. Sometimes if my eyes are bothering me, I will wear glasses. I don't like them though, because they limit your peripheral vision.

Blood_Axis
Wednesday, December 19th, 2007, 09:04 AM
I am nearsighted and blind as a bat :p

Actually, only from my right eye. My left eye is myopic too, but to a significantly smaller degree.

Thusnelda
Wednesday, December 19th, 2007, 02:58 PM
I dont wear glasses or contacts, my sight is okay. :)

Matamoros
Thursday, December 20th, 2007, 01:41 AM
I wear contacts, have myopia from reading too much as a child.

ÆinvargR
Thursday, December 20th, 2007, 08:46 PM
I have myopia from sitting too much by computers when I was younger. Virtually no-one in my extended family has myopia. And as soon as my sight got a little bad I got glasses which just makes it worse since the eyes don't bother trying to adapt then.

uniiited
Tuesday, January 22nd, 2008, 09:21 AM
I dont wear glasses or contacts :)

Istigkeit
Tuesday, January 22nd, 2008, 09:35 AM
I wear both, contacts mostly though. Both are just a pain in the neck. My eyes get worse every year. I'd rather just be blind now if the trend keeps up than spend thousands in glasses and contacts for decades.

ladybright
Tuesday, January 22nd, 2008, 03:07 PM
I wear glasses and have a strong perscription. Even if I had corrective surgery I would still need glasses. I have needed them since fourth grade and they have gotten wore over time. I wore contacts for a while as a teenager but hated putting things under my eyelids.

I trained myself to pay lots of attention to my peripheral vision for movement even though it is blurry. I don't drive much so it is not a problem.

My mother has a similar but less extreme perscription. I just hope that my kids get my husbands(20/20) vision instead of mine.

Phlegethon
Tuesday, January 22nd, 2008, 07:15 PM
Without glasses I can only figure out colours and whether it is night or day. There is also a very strong genetical predisposition that I may end up blind in a couple years time.

As I am also a scholar I always sleep with my glasses on and often wake up with printer's ink all over my face.

Northern Paladin
Tuesday, January 22nd, 2008, 07:21 PM
I only need glasses to see fine print. Most of the time I never bother wearing them.

krichter
Wednesday, January 23rd, 2008, 05:46 AM
I have to wear contact lenses because I have keratoconus. Eventually I might have to have corneal transplant surgery. With my lenses on I see almost perfectly fine, but without them, I'm legally blind, everything is just a blur. The disease is progressive until either it stops or surgery is performed. The sad thing is I had perfect 20/20 vision without any contacts or glasses just three years ago...

Loddfafner
Wednesday, January 23rd, 2008, 05:57 AM
I wear a monocle:

Ganden_
Saturday, February 23rd, 2008, 02:27 AM
i wear neither glasses nor contacts and i hope it stays that way.

Gorm the Old
Saturday, February 23rd, 2008, 03:18 AM
I have worn glasses, usually horn-rimmed, for 37 years, originally for presbyopia. My arms had gotten too short for reading. At about the same time, I began to be bothered by astigmatism. I saw stop lights as clusters of three red, yellow, or green lights.

About 25 years ago, I developed a cataract in my left eye which made vision in that eye look like viewing things through a polyethylene sandwich bag. Surgery corrected that problem perfectly, but introduced worse and different astigmatism in that eye.

Today I wear bifocals which correct everything perfectly in daylight. At night, when the pupil is wide open, the astigmatism correction is very inadequate. For that reason and because of the scattering of light by particles suspended in the aqueous humor, the headlights of oncoming cars blind me. Therefore, I no longer drive after dark.

I decided early on that contact lenses would involve much too much trouble to be worth the cosmetic advantage.

Imperator X
Sunday, February 24th, 2008, 11:21 PM
Glasses unfortunately although they are very expensive so at least my eyes don't aesthetically get smaller behind the lenses. I'd probably be crazy confident if I wore contacts, but alas, I cannot stick my finger in my eye to save my life.

æþeling
Tuesday, March 18th, 2008, 09:34 PM
Both, not at the same time.

Aragorn
Thursday, March 20th, 2008, 11:50 PM
Only glasses :)

The Horned God
Thursday, January 8th, 2009, 09:36 AM
well, i am glad that

i have always done my eye-exercises.

I know this is off topic, but do eye exercises have any measurable effect? How is your close up vision, is it any better than the average for your age group?

TheGreatest
Thursday, January 8th, 2009, 10:24 AM
I wear contacts outside and glasses at home.
I stopped wearing glasses in public because of cosmetic reasons.

Hermelin
Thursday, January 8th, 2009, 10:30 AM
I can hardly see anything without contacts/glasses. Everything is blurred :~(.

TheGreatest
Thursday, January 8th, 2009, 10:44 AM
I can hardly see anything without contacts/glasses. Everything is blurred :~(.

I can somewhat read without glasses and contacts. But how am I suppose to wink at an attractive girl (let alone tell if she is attractive?) without corrected vision?

In the past it would not had mattered much, I would had been able to farm and fight in a war. But in a contemporary conflict, I would most likely be stuck in a secondary field and not be permitted to fight on the front lines.

Thusnelda
Thursday, January 8th, 2009, 05:55 PM
No, I´m glad that I don´t have to wear any glasses or contact lenses. I guess my family has just good "eye"-genes because most of them don´t need glasses. :) Sure, some of my grandparents need/needed glasses for reading - but not for the general daily routine - only.

Pørdy Mountain
Thursday, January 8th, 2009, 06:05 PM
I use both, but last year I only used my glasses four, five days in a row. I prefer contacts, mostly because I used glasses (ugly ones, I tell you) from the age of 13-18 before I dared trying contacts. I see absolutely nothing without them though.. I have great color-vision obviously, but everything is mighty cloudy. Good thing I can find my way downstairs to the bathroom where my contacts are though.

Reich des Waldes
Thursday, January 15th, 2009, 07:34 AM
I have absolutely terrible vision. I have been wearing either glasses or contacts since I was 7. Now at 21, my correction is already -6 diopters.:( While my mother and grandmother wear/wore glasses, neither of them were this bad. The next time I go to see the ophthalmologist I am going to ask for tests to be done to see if I have degenerative myopia.:|

It's very strange to me. I have strong teeth, strong bones, good genetics for muscle growth, a very steady and strong heart and have not been even the slightest bit sick for the past year+. My eye problem troubles me so much that I am even thinking of not having children because I do not wish to pass on poor vision.

Sigurd
Thursday, January 15th, 2009, 06:44 PM
Well my eyesight has worsened a little, and by now I am obliged to wear glasses, which I now do reasonably regularly, though I don't wear them to the pub - combination between lacking a reason to wear them there and to keep them safely out of trouble, should it arise.

I can see "well enough" without glasses to get by in everyday life, as most things I need to see are within a close enough radius for me to see them clearly enough. However, I do have some issues, especially with seeing writing, especially in the distance, by virtue of my astigmatism

My eyesight is now at -2.25 (L)/-2.00 (R), i.e. minor to medium short-sightedness and - what is worse - a strong enough astigmatism, that is +1.00/+1.00. It is the latter which makes it difficult for me to read writing, especially in black, and why I have to wear them in lectures, and hypothetically (because practically, I lack a driving licence) to drive a car.

It's better for my eyes to wear them though, and let's face it, glasses can be stylish enough. Somebody give me banter over it, I'll knock their teeth in. (J/K of course. :P)

Pino
Thursday, January 15th, 2009, 06:58 PM
I have absolutely terrible vision. I have been wearing either glasses or contacts since I was 7. Now at 21, my correction is already -6 diopters.:( While my mother and grandmother wear/wore glasses, neither of them were this bad. The next time I go to see the ophthalmologist I am going to ask for tests to be done to see if I have degenerative myopia.:|

It's very strange to me. I have strong teeth, strong bones, good genetics for muscle growth, a very steady and strong heart and have not been even the slightest bit sick for the past year+. My eye problem troubles me so much that I am even thinking of not having children because I do not wish to pass on poor vision.

I'm 20 and I'm -6.50! They have been getting worse almost every year.

Telluride
Tuesday, January 20th, 2009, 03:44 PM
I started wearing glasses during my freshman year of college. I can't wear contacts, though, because I'm terrified of putting things in or near my eyes (which doesn't matter since I like the way I look in glasses).

Hermelin
Thursday, January 22nd, 2009, 02:25 PM
I've started wearing glasses at 7 too. My correction is -4.25 in both eyes and has been stable for several years.

My eye problem troubles me so much that I am even thinking of not having children because I do not wish to pass on poor vision.

Really :-O? Both of my parents need glasses/contacts, so my bad eyesight is not surprising :P. Bad eyesight is not the end of the world, and I think there will be more effective treatment in the not too distant future :).

Ajaxhan
Friday, January 23rd, 2009, 01:14 AM
I've worn glasses for most of my life but in the past couple of years have begun to wear contacts. My eyesight is apparently getting worse over time because my perscription keeps getting stronger.

It's really nice not having my vision blurred by fogged up glasses when I come in from the cold during the colder months, but they each have their good and bad points.

TheGreatest
Friday, January 23rd, 2009, 01:37 AM
Both. But I hate wearing glasses because it makes my nose look bigger than it really is

Reich des Waldes
Friday, January 23rd, 2009, 05:03 AM
Really :-O? Both of my parents need glasses/contacts, so my bad eyesight is not surprising :P. Bad eyesight is not the end of the world, and I think there will be more effective treatment in the not too distant future :).

I hate the idea of putting my children at a disadvantage from birth. But I think you are right. In 5 to 10 years from now we should see large advances in vision correction procedures. Just in time for my children :P

Hermelin
Friday, January 23rd, 2009, 10:03 AM
I expect not just advances in vision correction, but also in prevention of eyesight deterioration :).

I hate the idea of putting my children at a disadvantage from birth. But I think you are right. In 5 to 10 years from now we should see large advances in vision correction procedures. Just in time for my children :P

Grimsteinr
Friday, January 23rd, 2009, 01:48 PM
I am 68 yrs old. and for the last few years I wear light reading glasses, if the print is fine or the light is bad or dim.
They are 1.5 diopters.

I still shoot passably, without glasses, though, with open sights.
But....age does bring some problems.:)

Haereticus
Sunday, January 25th, 2009, 11:10 PM
I started needing glasses for reading about 18 months ago. Previously had perfect eyesight. It's 'normal' apparently to need glasses after about 45 years. It's really annoying sometimes. Takes a bit of getting used to. At least I don't need them for sports or whilst driving... yet. I don't like the idea of contact lenses or surgery.

I tried exercising my eyes when I first noticed a problem, but it doesn't seem to have made any difference.

TheGreatest
Friday, January 30th, 2009, 12:18 AM
I had good eyesight till about 17/18 and then I needed glasses full time. A real pain in the butt!

And I'm not entirely sure about glasses improving one's appearances. I usually get women swooning over me when I wear contacts, but if they see me with glasses they'll avoid me like the plague

Enibas
Monday, February 2nd, 2009, 05:56 PM
I need and like my glasses.
I can put them on, I can put them off and I find my glasses even if I don´t wear my glasses.
Contact lenses are complicated or maybe I am too complicated and sensitive for contact lenses.

Kriemhild
Monday, February 2nd, 2009, 09:21 PM
Fortunately, I've had perfect eyesight all my life, though I'm fairly certain that glasses will come into play once I hit mid-age. My father needed reading glasses when he turned 50 and my mother is heading in that direction, so it's only a matter of time for me. :|

TheGreatest
Monday, February 2nd, 2009, 11:41 PM
I need and like my glasses.
I can put them on, I can put them off and I find my glasses even if I don´t wear my glasses.
Contact lenses are complicated or maybe I am too complicated and sensitive for contact lenses.

Yes I'm a little sensitive to contacts but that's the case for everyone. I've never heard of anyone not having symptoms like dry eyes, sudden twitching pain; et cetera, that's to be expected whilst wearing contacts
Rather a lot of people put up with this because appearance is a big deal for most. The latest in fashionable glasses has changed that a little, but most people would agree that your average Joe looks better W/O glasses than with

Tommy
Tuesday, February 3rd, 2009, 12:14 AM
I have terrible vision, which is interesting because my brother's is 20/15. I have to wear glasses because I've never been able to wear contacts; my eyes are just too sensitive. I've found that glasses are generally one of the few things worth splurging on, because if you have to walk around with something on your face, it's will heavily impact others' impressions of you.

Hrodnand
Tuesday, February 3rd, 2009, 02:38 AM
Nothing here, fortunately I had a sharp and a good eyesight all my life.
It makes me kind of proud when I notice that I see things sharper than most of the people around me.
However I consume a lot of carrots - which is said to improve eyesight. :D

Freigeistige
Monday, May 4th, 2009, 11:11 PM
I wear glasses, but will be attempting to get contact lenses soon, if my allergies will allow. At some point in the future, when I have better medical insurance, I may get lasik surgery if the risks diminish with time.

ÆinvargR
Tuesday, May 5th, 2009, 09:45 AM
At some point in the future, when I have better medical insurance, I may get lasik surgery if the risks diminish with time.
Don't do lasik. Do lasek/elsa or any other surface treatment. Lasik means you cut a flap in your eye and it never heals plus it can cause a lot of other problems - cells growing under it, it not being flat etc. You often get dry eyes of it, because they cut off nerves when they cut the flap.

I talked to the doctor who made the first lasik surgery in Sweden. He thinks it's crap, basically. He talked of 8-10 % unsatisfactory treatments. People have it done because you seem fine the day after and it hurts less. But what is a week or two of not perfect eye sight and a little more pain the first day or days, for a much safer method and in the end healthier eye?

Also eye laser surgeons in the USA don't seem too careful, but that is just my impression from a few youtube videos of conferences where it turned out for example that one patient didn't even have a pre-op examination. Another had eye sight so bad he should have been denied lasik. They both killed themselves over their results.

Adalheid Friunt
Monday, June 29th, 2009, 12:18 AM
I wear glasses, mostly because contact lenses seem like a bad investment. (Easy to lose, have to buy new ones periodically, etc.) Will probably eventually get some type of corrective surgery.

The Captain
Thursday, July 2nd, 2009, 12:41 AM
No glasses for me. 20/20 vision.

Ward
Thursday, July 2nd, 2009, 12:55 AM
Don't do lasik. Do lasek/elsa or any other surface treatment. Lasik means you cut a flap in your eye and it never heals plus it can cause a lot of other problems - cells growing under it, it not being flat etc. You often get dry eyes of it, because they cut off nerves when they cut the flap.

I talked to the doctor who made the first lasik surgery in Sweden. He thinks it's crap, basically. He talked of 8-10 % unsatisfactory treatments. People have it done because you seem fine the day after and it hurts less. But what is a week or two of not perfect eye sight and a little more pain the first day or days, for a much safer method and in the end healthier eye?

Also eye laser surgeons in the USA don't seem too careful, but that is just my impression from a few youtube videos of conferences where it turned out for example that one patient didn't even have a pre-op examination. Another had eye sight so bad he should have been denied lasik. They both killed themselves over their results.

Actually, I've heard the complete opposite.

I've always had good eyesight, but I know several people who wore glasses/contacts all their lives and then got lasik. They all pretty much said it was the best investment they ever made.

And given the litigious nature of U.S. society, any surgeon who wants to last in the business has to be pretty careful.

captainblue
Wednesday, January 27th, 2010, 02:23 PM
No glasses for me 20/20 most of my relitives only needed glasses when in there fifties.What playes a larger factor genitics or diet.

GroeneWolf
Wednesday, January 27th, 2010, 02:31 PM
I wear glasses. I find a lot more practical then lenses, also I have relatively dry eyes. So that could cause trouble if I did wear lenses. However I do see better at night then most people :D .

OneWolf
Wednesday, January 27th, 2010, 02:42 PM
Yes and no.I have a pair of glasses because I have an astigmatisim.But I refuse to wear them.I always feel vulnerable when I wear them.I dislike them very much.

SaxonPagan
Wednesday, January 27th, 2010, 03:19 PM
A very similar tale here, LD!

I was always short-sighted from about the age of 18 but hated glasses so I usually wore contact lenses. However, these became uncomfortable after a period of a few hours due to an astigmatism so I got my eyes lasered in the end.

A degree of short-sightedness still remains but I can now wear contact lenses with perfect ease all day long due to the laser treatment having eliminated the astigmatism. It must also be said that contact lenses have improved enormously and you can now get disposable ones that are a vast improvement on what I was wearing 30 years ago.

OneWolf
Wednesday, January 27th, 2010, 03:42 PM
A very similar tale here, LD!

I was always short-sighted from about the age of 18 but hated glasses so I usually wore contact lenses. However, these became uncomfortable after a period of a few hours due to an astigmatism so I got my eyes lasered in the end.

A degree of short-sightedness still remains but I can now wear contact lenses with perfect ease all day long due to the laser treatment having eliminated the astigmatism. It must also be said that contact lenses have improved enormously and you can now get disposable ones that are a vast improvement on what I was wearing 30 years ago.

Well I have got to get Lasik or something my right eye is getting worse.Part of the reason I refuse to wear my glasses is my job is very physically demanding.Drilling Rigs will put hair on your chest.
Being a Toolpusher means I can go many days without lifting a finger,but as soon as someone quits or twists off its back to humping it.Glasses just get so dirty on a rig its impossible to wear them.

Andrya
Wednesday, June 23rd, 2010, 06:29 AM
People choose to wear contact lenses for many reasons, often due to their appearance and practicality. When compared with spectacles, contact lenses are less affected by wet weather, do not steam up, and provide a wider field of vision.

Irby
Wednesday, June 23rd, 2010, 07:13 AM
Not since I sat on them:)

William Frost
Wednesday, June 23rd, 2010, 07:17 AM
Why yes I do. I love my glasses. I used to wear contacts but they are just so expensive.

frippardthree
Wednesday, June 23rd, 2010, 08:31 AM
I wear glasses. I have slight near sightedness, but my vision is not too bad. I can take my glasses off for minutes, even hours at a time on occasion, and still see just fine, but I have to put them back on, when the migraines start.

Wyrd
Tuesday, September 12th, 2017, 05:14 PM
No, only sunglasses. My sight is ok. I'm a swimmer and I've seen people making the common mistake to wear contact lenses while swimming, without goggles. Many of them fall in the water and if they don't, there is risk to damage the cornea, infection etc. Others wear waterproof goggles with lenses , but water can still get in them from diving, etc. There are also prescription goggles for those that swim often and also do diving. But if your sight isn't that bad, just swim without glasses/contacts. You only need to see the wall and know how many strokes it takes to finish a lap. :)

Panda
Wednesday, October 18th, 2017, 11:25 PM
I should technically be wearing glasses or contacts or at least at night but I have like this weird thing of not liking things on my eyes. I bought glasses before but just can't seem to wear them and even tried contacts but that make my eyes irritated and just feels like something is in my eye poking me sometimes and needs to be removed. Luckily, my vision is not that bad and it is only recommended to use something at night when driving but I do fine and have no accidents and my driver's license doesn't say I am required to wear anything. If my vision gets worse then I will do surgery.

chrisjqb
Thursday, October 19th, 2017, 12:50 AM
I need glasses for far away. For near, e.g. the computer now, I prefer to not wear them and leave my eyes in the far away setting.

Sigurd
Thursday, October 19th, 2017, 08:51 AM
It's sometimes interesting to see your life-story told by a thread. First my eyesight wasn't all too bad and I didn't see much point in wearing my glasses. Then it worsened and I wore them often enough but not always. Evil tongues would thus say, my bad glasses-wearing routine is what made me lose my 20/20 sight. ;)

Now I wear them for a daily routine. My short-sightedness has actually improved (to -1.50/-1.00) whilst my astigmatism has worsened (to +1.75/+1.50) so that's a total correction of 3.25/2.50 dioptres. I find I have much better vision wearing my glasses and other than constantly mis-placing them, the first thing in the morning is putting them on. :D

My girlfriend is also short-sighted, more so than I even (-3.50/-4.00) but without astigmatism. I guess our children will be nerds. :P

Gareth Lee Hunter
Thursday, October 19th, 2017, 05:39 PM
I've worn 'spectacles' to correct myopia since I was fourteen. The affliction isn't that bad, and I rarely wear them inside my home. However, they are marked as a restriction on my operator's license. While outdoors on a sunny or snowy day, I do appreciate the transitional lenses in mine.

I still don't need reading glasses. ;)

Wuotans Krieger
Sunday, November 25th, 2018, 06:15 PM
I have worn glasses since the age of 19 for long distance but probably needed them since the age of 14. I would never wear contact lenses-they are for metrosexuals and vain women, not men.

Gareth Lee Hunter
Sunday, November 25th, 2018, 08:24 PM
Update:

While visiting our optometrist last year, it was determined that spectacles were no longer effective at correcting my badly diminished vision (I was legally blind) due to rapidly developing cataracts. So I underwent an IOLI procedure that fully restored my vision to 20/20 monovision without the need for glasses. :)

Uwe Jens Lornsen
Sunday, November 25th, 2018, 08:41 PM
Unfortunately short-sighted .

When did it happen ?

Last Day in school before summer holidays .
While some replacement teacher had been teaching , I all of a sudden could not see
the writings on the board anymore .

I was sitting in the last row , and had to walk up to the teacher's desk , to be able to read the writtens .

Back at home sitting at the lunch table , I said , that I could not see anymore .
Then immediately my both younger brothers said , that they could not see sharp either .

We were moving around 30 miles to an other small town during these summer vacations .

And the measure roughly stayed the same at minus 3.5-4.5 dioptries since then .

To my mother this could have caused the final shock , declaring , that our father would make us ill , sick .
The marriage was not happy before .

When I started with PC and Linux OS in the 2000s , I had an astronomical program called "xephem" .

I recognized , that the difference in Constellations between Sun and Mood of roughly three Starsigns
would correspond to the dioptries I have .
And it is descending moon , making it minus or short sighted .

My both brothers are also minus and born in descending moon .

My father was born at New Moon , and my mother just short before New Moon .

My theory is , that New Moon People are able to shift in Mentallity , switching
between both characteristics of Moon and Sun ,
while Non-New-Moon-People can not , without loosing their eyesight .

Since the Bible is object to threads and comments here on Skadi :

Esau = New-Moon , Red Sun
Jacob = Non-New-Moon

Jesus = Full Moon, Non-New-Moon dying becomming New Moon and resurrect after three days in the Constellation next to the Sun is currently located
Judas Iscarioth = New Moon

nittionia
Monday, January 7th, 2019, 02:35 PM
Thankfully I don't have to wear either