PDA

View Full Version : Owner to contest first SA farm expropriation

Ross
Friday, September 23rd, 2005, 06:23 PM
The owner of the first South African commercial farm to be earmarked for expropriation said on Thursday he intends contesting the move.

"I do not recognise the [restitution] claim on my land and cannot be forced to sell at the government's price," farmer Hannes Visser said.

The Commission on Restitution of Land Rights announced in Pretoria that an expropriation notice will be served on Visser without fail.

Visser owns the 500ha farm Leeuwspruit in the Lichtenberg district of the North West province.

The planned expropriation follows two-and-a-half years of inconclusive negotiations on the value of the property, with Visser wanting R3-million and the government offering R1,75-million, provincial land-claims commissioner Blessing Mphela told reporters.

Visser said he has yet to receive official notice of the move, but has obtained legal advice.

He disputed the validity of the restitution claim, saying the original owners signed letters of purchase in 1942 and sold the land at market-related prices.

According to Mphela, initial owners Abram, Johannes, Thomas, Andreas and Joseph Molamu were dispossessed of the land through forced sale transactions under the apartheid government's racial policies.

But Visser said the move was about self-enrichment.

"They [the claimants] have no intention of returning the money they received for the property. They want the land and to keep the money."

Visser said he has made improvements to the value of R3,5-million since he started farming on the land in 1994.

The farm was bought by his father, Frans, in 1968, and has been in the family ever since.

"Should the courts turn out to be my final recourse, I will go that route," Visser said.

Mphela said expropriation is the last resort.

Once he receives the expropriation notice, Visser will have 30 days to show cause to the minister of agriculture and land affairs why it should not be executed.

Should he fail in that, no recourse remains apart from a possible high-court application, Mphela said.

The land is to be returned to the descendants of the original owners of the Leeuwspruit group of farms in terms of a claim lodged by M Molamu and J Moropa.

Three of the properties have been bought back by the government to date, and one already transferred to the beneficiaries -- who intend to farm the land.

Mphela said Visser, who owns the fourth, outstanding property in the group, initially wanted R6-million for the land. The government's R1,75-million offer is based on the assessment of an independent valuer, and is the amount the seller could expect to receive in the open market.

"The argument raised by the current owners is that they will not be in a position to rebuild the same kind of business they are running on the premises with the amount suggested by the valuer."

A proposal was made that the developed area of the property, which includes the main house and an abattoir, be excised from the deal and an adjustment made to the purchase price. This area comprised about 42ha.

The claimants rejected the compromise, Mphela said, adding that the commission did not pursue the point as the beneficiaries would have a strong case in court.

The value of the abattoir -- the main point of contention -- was factored into the offer price at replacement cost minus depreciation, he said.

"Having gone through a long, tedious process, [a] submission to the minister was made with a clear intention to expropriate the farm," Mphela said.

Minister of Agriculture and Land Affairs Thoko Didiza approved the commencement of expropriation about a week ago.

Mphela underlined the need to fast-track South Africa's land-reform process.

"If land reform is not handled in a manner that will generate positive economic benefits to our people, then chaos becomes the substitute."

He criticised some land owners for hindering the process and displaying attitudes "reminiscent to that of the previous white apartheid government".

"In South Africa, where dispossession of African people was much more brutal and thorough than any other in the region, the fruits of liberation have yet to be tasted by the majority of the rural population.

"Two-thirds of the country, including most of the best-quality land, remains in the hands of less than 60 000 people who, unfortunately in this case, are white farmers, while 14-million blacks or Africans eke out a precarious existence in the former homelands and urban informal settlements."

Mphela could not say if further expropriations are in the pipeline, but did not foresee this becoming the norm for land acquisition in the country.

http://www.mg.co.za/articlepage.aspx?area=/breaking_news/breaking_news__national/&articleid=251698

Loki
Friday, September 23rd, 2005, 07:35 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/4273890.stm

S African white farm to be seized

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/40832000/jpg/_40832044_land_afp_203index.jpg

South Africa's landless have been calling for swifter land reform

South Africa says it will for the first time force a white farmer to sell his land under a redistribution plan.

The decision was announced by the Commission on Restitution of Land Rights, set up to return to black people land lost under apartheid.

An official said talks to agree on a price for the farm had failed and the farmer has vowed to challenge the move.

South Africa's government says it wants to hand over about a third of white-owned farm land by 2014.

The commission on Thursday said an expropriation notice would be served on Hannes Visser, the owner of a cattle and crop farm in North West province.

The government offered to buy the 500-hectare (1,250-acre) farm for $275,000 but Mr Visser said it was worth almost twice as much.

'Too slow'

Mr Visser told the South African news agency Sapa he intended to fight the decision in court.

"Should the courts turn out to be my final recourse, I will go that route," he said.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/shared/img/o.gif

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/nol/shared/img/v3/start_quote_rb.gif

Two-thirds of the country... remains in the hands of less than 60,000 people who unfortunately in this case are white farmers

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/nol/shared/img/v3/end_quote_rb.gif

Blessing Mphela
Regional land claims commissioner

The government argues that Mr Visser's father bought the land from a black farmer through a forced transaction in 1968.

Regional land claims commissioner Blessing Mphela said the seizure was a last resort.
But he added that South Africa must speed up land reform or face chaos.

Eighty per cent of agricultural land is owned by white South Africans, who make up only 10% of the population - the legacy of apartheid laws.

Since coming to power in 1994, the current government has adopted a "willing buyer, willing seller" approach to land redistribution, paying market prices for land that white owners are prepared to sell, and then distributing it to landless blacks. But Deputy President Phumzile Mlambo-Ngcuka says the pace of reform should be speeded up - as in neighbouring Zimbabwe, where most white-owned land has been seized by the state. "There needs to be a bit of oomph. That's why we may need the skills of Zimbabwe to help us," she said.

Loki
Friday, September 23rd, 2005, 07:39 PM
But Deputy President Phumzile Mlambo-Ngcuka says the pace of reform should be speeded up - as in neighbouring Zimbabwe, where most white-owned land has been seized by the state. "There needs to be a bit of oomph. That's why we may need the skills of Zimbabwe to help us," she said.

I wonder what "skills" she's talking about. Let me guess... rent-a-mob of aggressive blacks to stalk and intimidate the owners, rape their daughters, and mutilate their livestock?

RedJack
Friday, September 23rd, 2005, 07:55 PM
I think we should send military aid to the embattled whites of Rhodesia and South Africa.

Loki
Friday, September 23rd, 2005, 08:13 PM
I think we should send military aid to the embattled whites of Rhodesia and South Africa.

What are the chances of Tony Bliar ordering that? A hurricane in Scotland is more likely.

RedJack
Friday, September 23rd, 2005, 10:09 PM
What are the chances of Tony Bliar ordering that? A hurricane in Scotland is more likely.

That @#%^&*(@ would be more likely to send aid to the "veterans".

Ross
Friday, September 23rd, 2005, 10:16 PM
I've never been able to understand why SA real estate prices have been soaring. Maybe the market will crash after that?

Loki
Friday, September 23rd, 2005, 10:19 PM
I've never been able to understand why SA real estate prices have been soaring. Maybe the market will crash after that?

It is a temporary thing, and mostly demand-related. Negative publicity like the first post will certainly have an impact on prices... especially if matters escalate.

SiegUmJedenPreis
Saturday, September 24th, 2005, 05:49 PM
This is only the beginning, count on it...slowly yet surely they are driving us into a corner.

Ross
Saturday, September 24th, 2005, 05:53 PM
Are you a farmer?

SiegUmJedenPreis
Saturday, September 24th, 2005, 05:59 PM
Are you a farmer?

Myself? No, though I have family who are....:frown:

I know one thing, there are farmers who would rather die than hand over land they've plown their sweat and toil into.

They've already succeeded in making it near impossible to get a fire arm, they make it nearly impossible for us to find jobs/bursaries, they change the names of cities WE BUILD, and now they're taking away land which belongs to us...

This can only go on so long...

Ross
Saturday, September 24th, 2005, 06:04 PM
so what people say on non-activist boards? is there any reaction at all?

SiegUmJedenPreis
Saturday, September 24th, 2005, 06:07 PM
so what people say on non-activist boards? is there any reaction at all?

The one's that think for themselves see another Zimbabwe approaching, however the really liberal one's think it serves us right.

I really dont waste my time too much on them, since you have to experience Africa in order to really understand our point of view.

Rehnskiöld
Saturday, September 24th, 2005, 06:10 PM
I wonder what "skills" she's talking about. Let me guess... rent-a-mob of aggressive blacks to stalk and intimidate the owners, rape their daughters, and mutilate their livestock?

Now that you mention it,although I was minor at that time I recall when my familly was host to an white woman from Swaziland, I suppose the conditions there are simular to those in South Africa or am I wrong? anyways I distinctly recall her telling of how she and her familly of white farmers had black workers who could not be trusted to handle the livestock,the negroes didn't have the compasion for the animals as the european decended farmers had she said. South african negroes would die in heaps if SA would go the same way Rhodesia did with their agriculture, I couldn't care less, or rather I'd look forward to such an development if it wasn't for our kin there,when reading of the horrors in the black continent I wonder what will become of our relatives there.

Get armed,get togheter with other decendents of europeans and separate yourselves from the negroes,move out of the cities, surround your farms with forest,barbed wire fences,trences and walls and trust to men like Eugene Terre Blanche to see you trough such dark times.

Ross
Saturday, September 24th, 2005, 06:13 PM
I was asking about SA whites posting on regular forums. What do they say?

SiegUmJedenPreis
Saturday, September 24th, 2005, 06:19 PM
I was asking about SA whites posting on regular forums. What do they say?

The one's I've spoken to are as pissed as Hell, this is nothing less than an attack on Afrikanerdom...and even the neutral Afrikaner knows that.

RoyBatty
Sunday, September 25th, 2005, 01:19 AM

It's a global phenomenon as far as I can tell. The property market has been booming in a number of countries. The SA economy is also very strong atm and business conditions are relatively good which translates into further increases in the local cost of living.

This case is indicative of a pattern which is likely to follow. It's only a question of time before the rulers of SA decide to start emulating Mugabe, their hero from Zimbabwe. Given enough time and a couple of courtroom wins they will feel emboldened and they will eventually attempt to launch an all out assault against whites. The problem for them will be that SA has a couple of million whites unlike Zimbabwe which has a couple of thousand.

The SA whites will not do anything now, but if conditions became uncertain and unpleasant enough, this may soon change. There are many Angolan war vets and many many people who have experience working as mercenaries in Africa and Iraq. The disease-ridden joke of a SANDF will not be able to stand up to a reasonably co-ordinated challenge, should things deteriorate to that point.

Maybe I'm being negative but sometimes I wish that a civil war would break out so that this issue can be settled once and for all. This phoney truce will not last forever. We'd be better off getting over the rainbow nation illusions and creating a homeland for ourselves.