PDA

View Full Version : Trafalgar Square gets a new statue: Of a naked pregnant crippled woman

Lundi
Thursday, September 15th, 2005, 01:38 PM
A statue of a naked, pregnant woman with no arms has been unveiled on Trafalgar Square's fourth plinth.

The 12ft (3.6m) marble sculpture, "Alison Lapper Pregnant", is already dividing opinion among art critics and disability campaigners.

Artist Marc Quinn said he had sculpted his friend Ms Lapper because disabled people were under-represented in art.

The Disability Rights Commission called it "powerful and arresting", but one critic dismissed it as "rather ugly".

Ms Lapper, from Shoreham, West Sussex, sat for the artist when she was eight months pregnant.

She has called it a "modern tribute to femininity, disability and motherhood".

But she added: "It still daunts me now. I'm going to be up in Trafalgar Square. Little me."

Mr Quinn spent 10 months working on the statue in Italy from a single piece of white marble.

"I felt the square needed some femininity, linking with Boudicca near the Houses of Parliament," Mr Quinn told BBC News.

"Alison's statue could represent a new model of female heroism."

But Robert Simon, editor of the British Art Journal, said: "I think it is horrible.

Public debate

"Not because of the subject matter I hasten to add. (I have a) lot of time for Alison Lapper. I think she is very brave, very wonderful but it is just a rather repellent artefact - very shiny, slimy surface, machine-made, much too big... "

Bob Niven, chief executive of the Disability Rights Commission, said the statue at the heart of London would raise public debate on disability.

Other plinths in London's most famous square are occupied by equestrian statues of British Empire heroes.

The fourth was intended for a King William IV statue, but a lack of funds meant it remained empty.

Experts gave up trying to find a permanent fixture for it in the early 1990s, because no-one could agree on what was appropriate.

Some sculptures, such as Rachel Whiteread's Monument - a transparent resin cast of the inside of the granite plinth itself, were put up temporarily.

But in 2003, mayor Ken Livingstone had backed a review group's suggestions that it should be used as an ever-changing display of artworks.

The mayor, who has had the square partly pedestrianised and wants it to become a cultural focus for London, commissioned six artists to come up with ideas for the plinth.

Alison Lapper Pregnant is one of two works selected from the shortlist.

It will be displayed until April 2007 when it will be replaced by Thomas Schutte's Hotel for the Birds.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/nol/shared/spl/hi/pop_ups/05/uk_enl_1126790863/img/1.jpg

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/4247000.stm

Be sure to watch the video :suomut:

Thankfully this is not a permanent fixture

ChrisDownUnder
Thursday, September 15th, 2005, 04:44 PM
Well at least the statue is based upon an English woman, albeit a disabled one. Although not a permanent fixture, it will remain there for the next 18 months.

It is still preferable to one suggestion put forward for the empty fourth plinth, made by the late Bernie Grant MP. Namely some sort of monument to slavery, designed to be erected in 2007 to coincide with the bicentenary of the abolition of the slave trade in the British Empire.

Or the idea of placing a statue of Nelson Mandela on a fifth plinth outside South Africa house :icon12: . Iím not sure if these two recommendations have been completely ruled out though.

Agrippa
Thursday, September 15th, 2005, 04:53 PM
This society is just so sick...

Wiking
Thursday, September 15th, 2005, 06:05 PM
How disgustingly degenerate, this is why I hate visiting my own capital!

tuddorsped
Thursday, September 15th, 2005, 08:33 PM
I bet the statue is pregnant with a half-caste.

Sums up UK 2005 beautifully if you ask me.

RedJack
Friday, September 16th, 2005, 07:10 PM
What a pathetic excuse for a statue. Why don't they do a permanent one of David Stirling?

Blondie
Friday, September 16th, 2005, 07:23 PM
I just saw a re-run of something about women and pregnancy, and this woman was in the documentary. She drove a car with her feet, etc. Pretty much did everything with her feet.

It said that the guy who impregnated her, ditched her shortly thereafter.

RedJack
Saturday, September 17th, 2005, 09:36 PM
Definitely a heroine for the ages.:rolleyes:

Loki
Saturday, September 17th, 2005, 09:42 PM
I bet the statue is pregnant with a half-caste.

Actually she has a beautifully healthy and blond Nordish child... there was a documentary about this on TV. After watching this, I had to have admiration for this woman who is looking so well after her child... with her disabilities and everything. She is an inspiration.

Blondie
Saturday, September 17th, 2005, 09:44 PM
Actually she has a beautifully healthy and blond Nordish child... there was a documentary about this on TV. After watching this, I had to have admiration for this woman who is looking so well after her child... with her disabilities and everything. She is an inspiration.
I thought the same thing. I saw a similar (or perhaps the same?) documentary.

RedJack
Saturday, September 17th, 2005, 10:03 PM
Most people need both hands and feet to drive a car. I resent getting charged with a criminal offense for having a couple of beers before driving because my reflexes are slowed while driving licences are granted to people with physical disabilities which can't help but impair their performance behind the wheel.

Blondie
Sunday, September 18th, 2005, 12:42 AM
Most people need both hands and feet to drive a car. I resent getting charged with a criminal offense for having a couple of beers before driving because my reflexes are slowed while driving licences are granted to people with physical disabilities which can't help but impair their performance behind the wheel.
Why are you drinking and driving anyway?

RedJack
Sunday, September 18th, 2005, 01:17 AM
To get home from the bar. :D

RoyBatty
Sunday, September 18th, 2005, 02:23 AM
That statue looks like it was lifted straight from the film "Boxing Helena" :D

Oh well, it could have been worse.......

They could have erected another column next to Admiral Nelson featuring terrorist Mandela. :scratch:

Loki
Sunday, September 18th, 2005, 11:07 AM
They could have erected another column next to Admiral Nelson featuring terrorist Mandela. :scratch:

Well, the London Mayor campaigned heavily in favour of a Nelson Mandela statue in Trafalgar Square, but Westminster Council would have none of it. So this "substitute" is actually a welcome sight... it represents Mandela's statue's defeat.

Death and the Sun
Sunday, September 18th, 2005, 12:02 PM
I don't have anything against pregnant disabled women, but does she really deserve a statue of her own? She may be an admirable person and an inspiration for many, but this whole project reeks of pc butt kissing.

Statues should only be erected for great, dead, white males, dammit !!! :D

Loki
Sunday, September 18th, 2005, 12:38 PM

Agreed! :P

RedJack
Sunday, September 18th, 2005, 05:17 PM
I don't have anything against pregnant disabled women, but does she really deserve a statue of her own? She may be an admirable person and an inspiration for many, but this whole project reeks of pc butt kissing.

Exactly!! :notworth:

Well, the London Mayor campaigned heavily in favour of a Nelson Mandela statue in Trafalgar Square, but Westminster Council would have none of it. So this "substitute" is actually a welcome sight... it represents Mandela's statue's defeat.

Outrageous. Even if Mandela deserved a statue, why would you put it in London?!

Blondie
Sunday, September 18th, 2005, 07:27 PM

What about great, dead, white females? ;)

Death and the Sun
Sunday, September 18th, 2005, 08:19 PM

I think I could learn to live with those too, I guess ;)

RedJack
Sunday, September 18th, 2005, 10:39 PM

As long as they are extremely HOT! :P

RedJack
Thursday, September 22nd, 2005, 12:54 AM
"The second big event in my life was even more significant. I had been pregnant in my 20s, had miscarried four times and had always assumed that becoming a mother was not a possibility for me. But when I became pregnant again in April 1999 I knew I wasn't going to miscarry. I was very fit and healthy and everything in my body and brain felt right.

Although my boyfriend was not the love of my life, I did think we could make something long-lasting from our relationship. But I had noticed that he preferred to express his fondness for me behind closed doors and had difficulties with it when we were in public. How was he going to respond when I said I was pregnant? I had a gut feeling that he wouldn't be happy about the news: he was already a divorcee and a long-distance father to his other children. Still, I did not expect him to rant and rave as he did. He stuck rigidly to his point of view: he absolutely did not want this baby. I almost agreed to his demand that we terminate the pregnancy. I thought he might be right. How would I support and look after a baby on my own as a single mother?

I had thought long and hard about the possibility that my baby would be limb-deficient like myself, but I was told that the chances of that happening would be as low as 5%. In any case, I'd come to the conclusion that if the baby was impaired in any way there was no one better in the world to understand its needs and look after it."

To me this passage sums up everything that is wrong in our current society. I mean this woman can't even wipe her own ass and she thinks it's OK for her to become a single mother.

Blondie
Thursday, September 22nd, 2005, 12:50 PM
To me this passage sums up everything that is wrong in our current society. I mean this woman can't even wipe her own ass and she thinks it's OK for her to become a single mother.

What does this say about the father, though? :rolleyes:

Loki
Thursday, September 22nd, 2005, 09:02 PM

Well exactly. I think she's a lovely and dedicated mother... the real asshole is the father... where is he??? :scratch:

RedJack
Friday, September 23rd, 2005, 03:27 AM

An obvious asshole, BUT she knew that and she went ahead and had the child anyway, and she had several miscarriages before that.

Blondie
Friday, September 23rd, 2005, 08:59 PM
An obvious asshole, BUT she knew that and she went ahead and had the child anyway, and she had several miscarriages before that.
Maybe she didn't believe in abortion.

I hope you're not promoting that.

I wouldn't blame the mother at all. She's probably doing the best she can.

Why the mothers are ALWAYS blamed... I don't know...

RedJack
Friday, September 23rd, 2005, 09:38 PM
Maybe she didn't believe in abortion.

I hope you're not promoting that.

Certainly not. There are other methods of birth control that this woman could and SHOULD have been using. For at least three good reasons.
1. She doesn't have any arms.
2. The lack of arms is due to a genetic defect a good mother wouldn't want to pass on to her children
3. She didn't have a reliable husband and father on hand to help her raise the child.

Being a single mother is hard enough, being a single and crippled mother is ridiculous. Placing a statue of this cretin in Trafalgar Square is unconscionable.

Why the mothers are ALWAYS blamed... I don't know...

She has been incredibly irresponsible. I rather thought it went without saying that the man in this situation had to be a complete prat as well. At least no-one is making statues of him for public veneration.

Blondie
Friday, September 23rd, 2005, 09:50 PM
3. She didn't have a reliable husband and father on hand to help her raise the child.

Being a single mother is hard enough, being a single and crippled mother is ridiculous. Placing a statue of this cretin in Trafalgar Square is unconscionable.

I don't have a reliable husband and father to raise my child either, yet I decided to go through with my pregnancy and now have a beautiful 4 month old daughter.

Yes, being a single mother is hard and I can't imagine what it would be like if I was crippled.

Placing a statue in Trafalgar Square is odd, yes, but I wouldn't call her a cretin.

RedJack
Friday, September 23rd, 2005, 10:05 PM
I wish you all the best with your child, I hope you have help from your family.

Blondie
Friday, September 23rd, 2005, 10:07 PM
I wish you all the best with your child, I hope you have help from your family.
Thanks.

Death and the Sun
Saturday, September 24th, 2005, 02:47 PM
1. She doesn't have any arms.
2. The lack of arms is due to a genetic defect a good mother wouldn't want to pass on to her children

I thought that the effects of Thalidomide aren't passed on to one's children ?!?

RedJack
Saturday, September 24th, 2005, 05:00 PM
She isn't a thalidomide baby.

Death and the Sun
Saturday, September 24th, 2005, 09:48 PM
She isn't a thalidomide baby.

Ok, I stand corrected. Somehow I seem to have picked up the idea that she was one. I remember vaguely reading something about her years ago.

Saxon Assassin
Tuesday, October 11th, 2005, 02:50 AM
What i find most disturbing about this issue is the idea that being disabled somehow makes one worthy of praise. Its a weird and stupid idea, and personally i dont think people like her should be allowed to pass on their genetic diseases to the gene pool in general.

RoyBatty
Tuesday, October 11th, 2005, 10:37 AM
Wonder how far Red Ken and Co's plans to put up a statue of terrorist Nelson next to Lord Nelson have progressed? :speechles

http://www.washingtontimes.com/op-ed/dwest.htm

Think about it - even in the event that they do actually erect the statue it won't take long for some liberal to figure out that "da white man" be looking down upon Mandela and that they have to raise him onto a column which will outstrip Lord Nelson's :D

GreenHeart
Tuesday, December 6th, 2005, 09:34 PM
I won't pass any judgements against the woman herself, but when I see that statue I want to throw up...

*angers at the lack of a puking smilie*