PDA

View Full Version : Now a Moslem Miss England...

tuddorsped
Sunday, September 4th, 2005, 03:42 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/4212412.stm

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/40760000/jpg/_40760990_missengland203body.jpg

A teenager who was born in Uzbekistan has become the first Muslim beauty contestant to be crowned Miss England.
Hammasa Kohistani, 18, said she was "happy to make history" and was looking forward to representing England in the Miss World championships in China.

She was born in Tashkent, central Uzbekistan, after her parents were forced to flee Afghanistan.

The brunette, who speaks six languages including Russian and Persian, was selected from 40 contestants.

She was crowned on Saturday night following the two-day competition at Liverpool's Olympia Theatre.

I'm making history and I'm very happy

Hammasa Kohistani

Dressed in an ivory white chiffon and silk ball gown designed and made by her mother, the teenager spoke of her joy at winning the title.

"When they announced that I had won I thought I had misheard. I hoped they hadn't, but it took a second to sink in."

Asked about her feelings at being the first Muslim Miss England, she said: "I'm making history and I'm very happy. Hopefully I won't be the last."

The student, who was known as Miss Maya after the Asian fashion house which sponsored her, has also been offered a part in a forthcoming Bollywood movie.

Among those Miss Kohistani beat was another Muslim entrant, Sarah Mendly, 23, who was voted Miss Nottingham.

Miss Mendly had been among the favourites but her entry caused controversy when Liverpool's Islamic institute called on her to pull out because contestants are often scantily clad.

The Miss World championships will be held in December.

SouthernBoy
Sunday, September 4th, 2005, 03:47 PM
Insult to injury? :rolleyes:

Loki
Sunday, September 4th, 2005, 03:50 PM
What a ****ing joke. "Miss England" - not in my books, sorry.

Death and the Sun
Sunday, September 4th, 2005, 03:53 PM
Up here in the Nordic countries, we sometimes make fun of English women and their attractiveness (or lack of it). Although having visited England, I know quite well that this is mostly a silly cliche, as I've seen many delightful English roses in person. :)

Anyway, any real Englishmen or -women must be seething with anger at this outrage.

I don't know how seriously people generally take the Miss England pageant over there but really, if you are going to celebrate feminine beauty, then it really should be a native girl. Honestly, this is a slap in the face to all real pretty English girls.

tuddorsped
Sunday, September 4th, 2005, 03:55 PM
What a ****ing joke. "Miss England" - not in my books, sorry.

Here's Miss England 2015.

http://www.unc.edu/depts/biopsych/baboon.jpg

Think she's better looking personally.

:rofl:

Loki
Sunday, September 4th, 2005, 03:59 PM
Up here in the Nordic countries, we sometimes make fun of English women and their attractiveness (or lack of it). Although having visited England, I know quite well that this is mostly a silly cliche,

Not only a cliche, but an untruth, mostly spread through jealousy. English women are among the most beautiful females on earth... ask me I know - I have travelled a bit.

Northern Paladin
Sunday, September 4th, 2005, 04:16 PM
I believe this is a way of saying we the English are not racist.

tuddorsped
Sunday, September 4th, 2005, 04:24 PM
I believe this is a way of saying we the English are not racist.

"Stupid", more likely.

I can hear strains of laughter coming across the channel.

HIM
Sunday, September 4th, 2005, 07:35 PM
This time I have my glasses on. :laugh:

Seriously, what the hell is wrong with people? How could England, which has some of the most beautiful women in the world, crown this thing Miss England? What a disgrace! :mad:

SiegUmJedenPreis
Sunday, September 4th, 2005, 08:07 PM
So it begins England...it seems your turn is coming, lets hope you fare better than we did.

Glory
Monday, September 5th, 2005, 04:02 AM
Here's Miss England 2015.
Perhaps by then they'll have a cross dresser for miss England, more diversity.

Rolf Eder
Monday, September 5th, 2005, 06:17 AM
If anyone can be English, then to be English means nothing. This girl is therefore Miss Nothing 2005.

palesye
Monday, September 5th, 2005, 07:48 AM
It is like saying to native girls "Look, she is foreign and more good-looking than all of you".

Nordhammer
Monday, September 5th, 2005, 08:05 AM
This proves that these pageants are politically controlled and have no objective merit.