PDA

View Full Version : Nords: Protect Your Skin!

+Suomut+
Sunday, January 18th, 2004, 02:12 PM
NORDS: PROTECT YOUR SKIN!!! Skin cancer SUCKS! :| Oh, SUNTANS SUCK also! ;) PUT ON THAT SUNBLOCK! :D

Mac Seafraidh
Sunday, January 18th, 2004, 03:29 PM
Yeah, I rarley burn since I have Med blood in me but I do have Nordic too. I do not have "olive skin" though really it is a mixure of tan and nordic looking.

xakep
Friday, January 23rd, 2004, 07:06 AM
I never tan on purpose cause I get burned all the time.

Descendant
Friday, January 23rd, 2004, 10:32 AM
1 in 200 Americans will get melanoma.

1 in 500 will die from it.

And these stats include all of the darker folks who are much less vulnerable, so for a depigmented person like me the chance of dying from skin cancer is probably much closer to a whole percentage point.

I literally feel "fried" after a whole day in the sun with no sunscreen. SPF 45 is one of my favorite cultural adaptations :)

And if the statistics are not enough here is some graphic motivation:

http://www.patientcareonline.com/be_core/content/journals/p/data/2002/0815/screen/p8a07301.jpg

Gross I know but better to see it here than in the mirror.

Hellstar
Wednesday, January 28th, 2004, 03:06 AM
Dont know what type you talk about but most Nordic types do tan quite easy unlike the Kelts, East baltics, Uralics, Neo danubians, a kobber tan is very normal for a Nordic to achieve in summers. most people have this idea that being from Scandinavien is similar to being ghost white or thats a sign of being extra Nordic. The thin skin texture tempts insects, shows the cranial features, the blue blood, the muscles and the skin also tan easier than a fat skinned finn.

Sometimes it looks good with a tan I think.

NormanBlood
Wednesday, January 28th, 2004, 03:21 AM
lol this reminds me of my summer in southern France where the family I was staying with thought it fun to go sit on the beach and tan all day. They did fine in that they actually got the "tanned" colour...I sat there trying my darned best to tan my "apparently pale legs" and well...that didn't turn out too well :| So yes...sunblock is your friend lol use it wisely :P

rusalka
Wednesday, January 28th, 2004, 04:25 AM
I'm not a proper "Nord" myself but I am very capable of getting a nasty sunburn if I'm not careful even by walking around in sunny weather. And even if you don't feel it, ie. you think you're tanning, the UV rays are still destructive on your skin and you might end up dermatological problems in the future. The best thing is to put on products that are usually called "cityblock" or similar, something that is not as thick as regular sunblock creams but good enough for daily use. Big cities are even more intense when it comes to damaging your skin as you also get all the extra reflection of sunlight from buildings etc. (especially here in NYC). I don't think a healthy tan looks bad or anything (on the contrary), especially if you get it naturally, but there's no sense in sizzling under the sun, is there. :)

I suspect that in women getting a tan, or getting sunburnt depends on hormones as well as I sometimes manage to get a tan and sometimes burn (with all the same products and all that).

Gladstone
Wednesday, January 28th, 2004, 10:35 AM
I think some sunlight is perfectly healthy (vitamin D and all, and clears up the skin). Supposedly you can sit 12 minutes straight unprotected in direct sunlight without burning..after you burn. I've found that to be true.

+Suomut+
Thursday, January 29th, 2004, 01:47 AM
Dont know what type you talk about but most Nordic types do tan quite easy unlike the Kelts, East baltics, Uralics, Neo danubians, a kobber tan is very normal for a Nordic to achieve in summers. most people have this idea that being from Scandinavien is similar to being ghost white or thats a sign of being extra Nordic. The thin skin texture tempts insects, shows the cranial features, the blue blood, the muscles and the skin also tan easier than a fat skinned finn.

Sometimes it looks good with a tan I think.As far as I'm concerned, individual "Nordic types" who "tan quite easy" are NOT very "Nordic" in regard to skin pigmentation regardless of where they come from geographically or from whom they descend. But, I feel safe in stating that the majority of those throughout the world who would actually countenance a discussion of the ever ETHEREAL "Nordic" race, subrace, folk, kind, class, (or whatever fancy term one desires to employ) would agree that the "classic" definition of "Nordic" skin pigment. is: LIGHT!(i.e., "blonde"), ruddy, pinkish, pale, rosy, florid, milky et al. <--precisely the kind of skin pigment. that does NOT! lend itself to tanning, i.e. skin which is at the very LEAST hard to tan or even impossible to tan. This kind of skin tone is indeed "thin" and, I might add, FRAGILE. Additionally, this skin does typically allow for a viewing of vein blood, thus the phrase "blue bloods."

This all having been said, those without this kind of skin pigmentation can still be considered "Nordic" if they have OTHER "Nordic" traits. Also, views and opinions over the "Nordic" subrace and it's physical characteristics are a dime per dozen. I'm sure you know this. You and I both have our different views in this regard--nothing wrong with this. ;) Cheers! :)

Scoob
Thursday, January 29th, 2004, 06:41 AM
I think Cavalli-Sforza in "The Great Human Diasporas" documents how pale skin is the result of agriculture in cloudy areas. Vitamin D can be got from meat, or from the sun (metabolized from Vitamin E in skin, I think). So supposodly Northern people who ate meat had no reason to get non-tanning skin (which might have some kind of melanin blocking agent). The areas of lightest skin aren't the most Northern in Europe - they are the cloudiest. Think of the British Isles, famous for the white skin of its peoples.

Hellstar
Monday, February 2nd, 2004, 02:09 AM
As far as I'm concerned, individual "Nordic types" who "tan quite easy" are NOT very "Nordic" in regard to skin pigmentation regardless of where they come from geographically or from whom they descend. But, I feel safe in stating that the majority of those throughout the world who would actually countenance a discussion of the ever ETHEREAL "Nordic" race, subrace, folk, kind, class, (or whatever fancy term one desires to employ) would agree that the "classic" definition of "Nordic" skin pigment. is: LIGHT!(i.e., "blonde"), ruddy, pinkish, pale, rosy, florid, milky et al. <--precisely the kind of skin pigment. that does NOT! lend itself to tanning, i.e. skin which is at the very LEAST hard to tan or even impossible to tan. This kind of skin tone is indeed "thin" and, I might add, FRAGILE. Additionally, this skin does typically allow for a viewing of vein blood, thus the phrase "blue bloods."

This all having been said, those without this kind of skin pigmentation can still be considered "Nordic" if they have OTHER "Nordic" traits. Also, views and opinions over the "Nordic" subrace and it's physical characteristics are a dime per dozen. I'm sure you know this. You and I both have our different views in this regard--nothing wrong with this. ;) Cheers! :)

Well I don’t really think I disagree with you, but I guess you know that rosy skinned Germanics tans easier than certain Cro-Magnon and Keltic types among us!
If it’s the correlation between Østerdal types and the notorious Battle axe elements would make sense since the actual epicentre for the furious Battleaxe is ended in a snare long from where their originally spawn was delivered.

Those Østerdals with high vault tend to be paler but without being intertwined with phenomenal eastern strains!

Nightmare_Gbg
Friday, January 21st, 2005, 10:13 AM
I got a really deep tan when i was i Cyprus last summer (my friends told me i looked like a negroe).Now it's januari and i still got a bit of a tan left,i'm not going to the beach ever again.

alphaknave
Thursday, March 24th, 2005, 01:36 AM
People in my area poke fun at people with paler skin, especially during the summer when people swim quite often. People tan extensivly throughout the summer, trying to look their darkest. Personally, I don't want to look my darkest, nor do I want to burn, so I use moderate sun block. I don't see an advantage to tanning, but neither do I find sickly pale transparent skin appealing either. Just depends on who you are, but don't try to be someone you arn't! (Ex. Negro or Mexican)

Torn_Humana
Sunday, March 27th, 2005, 01:06 PM
SPF 80, my best friend. Since I maintain a fairly even complexion all year round (not pale, not tan).

Blutwölfin
Wednesday, March 30th, 2005, 07:08 PM
Have this really pale skin that comes with reddish hair.
Fifteen minutes of sun and I got burned. Tried this out
in summer vacation at a lake in Austria. All my friends
got really sick of me staying in the shadow all day long.
Need really high sunblocker - always. I already started
to use sun protection when I go out these days. Got
really sunny and kind of hot outside in Vienna already.

Theobald
Wednesday, March 30th, 2005, 07:23 PM
lol this reminds me of my summer in southern France where the family I was staying with thought it fun to go sit on the beach and tan all day.
LOL, indeed it is a French habit, almost a tradition :P
Especially for the Southern Swarthy Meds, have to say :D

Mjölnir
Wednesday, March 30th, 2005, 08:27 PM
You must use "Kernöl" i dont have an explanation in English.. sorry:D

That save your skin. And it doesnt brown your skin its a melt light tone.:)

M.,:thumbup

PS: Dont burn your skin its very dangerous today. About 60years ago it doesent matter...:|