PDA

View Full Version : Clint Eastwood Iwo Jima movie filming in Iceland

Death and the Sun
Thursday, July 7th, 2005, 01:28 PM
Clint Eastwood is readying his next Oscar winner as Ryan Phillippe, Adam Beach and Jesse Bradford have been cast in his upcoming World War II epic Flags of Our Fathers according to The Hollywood Reporter.

The film is based on the James Bradley book "Flags of Our Fathers: Heroes of Iwo Jima" and was adapted by Paul Haggis who penned the script for Eastwood's Million Dollar Baby.

More. (http://www.ropeofsilicon.com/news.php?id=2473&PHPSESSID=9b4969a15b64f8e2ac4d21bf22532c 2d)

White Iceland
Sunday, August 14th, 2005, 12:00 AM
Flags of Our Fathers, a film about the invasion of Iwo Jima during WW2, is filming on location in Iceland...

Here is a pic from the newspaper here:

http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/3135/mblpic1zz.jpg

Arcturus
Sunday, August 14th, 2005, 12:34 PM
Seems everybody wants to film in Iceland these days. Who knows, maybe Iceland will be the next New Zealand when it comes to being backdrops for Hollyweird.

ChrisDownUnder
Sunday, August 14th, 2005, 04:07 PM
Well the topography of Iceland would closely resemble that of the Japanese Island. Both are barren volcanic Islands with sparse vegitation, although Iwo Jima has a sub-tropical climate.

If Eastwood’s production is historically correct, the actors portraying the US Marines should be all white. It has the potential to be a decent movie, if it features realistic battle scenes depicting the bloody assault. The Allied forces suffered 26,000 casualties, with nearly 7,000 dead; all to secure and Island that is only 21 km² in size.

White Iceland
Wednesday, August 17th, 2005, 12:25 AM
A couple of dark skins in this group shot of "Icelandic" extras... but pretty white for a Hollywood production.

http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/2918/1platoon6b2aj.jpg

Blutwölfin
Wednesday, August 31st, 2005, 11:40 AM
Reykjanesbær honors Clint Eastwood

The town Reykjanesbær plans to present US film star, Clint Eastwood, who is currently shooting the World War Two epic Flags of our Father on the Reykjanes peninsula, the town's highest honor, a special "Guest Star Footstep". The "Star Footstep" is awarded to those individuals who have made their mark in town.

This is the third year that the "Star Footstep" is presented, last year it was given to the soccer squad nicknamed "the golden boys" who played for the local team from 1963-1973, and the year before that the "Star Footstep" went to Iceland's renowned rock band Hljómar. The "Star Footstep" will be presented at the Reykjanes Light Night Festival which commences on Thursday and lasts till Sunday.

Steinthor Jonsson, director of the festival, said that a formal invitation had been sent to Mr. Eastwood but it is not known if he will be able to attend. Fréttabladid asked Steinthor if it was correct that special effects experts from Flags of our Father were helping out with the firework show held by the local volunteer emergency rescue organization at the festival - the rescue unit has been working closely with the film crew -Steinthor refused to comment but said "no one will be disappointed with the show!"

http://www.icelandreview.com/

Lundi
Wednesday, August 31st, 2005, 11:48 AM
Bit more on it

Eastwood shorts Flags of Our Fathers

Hollywood’s biggest film names Steven Spielberg and Clint Eastwood are currently shooting in Iceland until next month scenes for their latest mega-production Flags of Our Fathers, a World War II epic based on James Bradley’s eponymous best-selling book.

The film is directed by Eastwood who co-produces with Steven Spieberg for Dreamworks Pictures and Warner Bros who will release it internationally in 2006. In the lead roles are Jamie Bell, Paul Walker, Jesse Bradford, Ryan Phillippe, Neal McDonough and Adam Beach. Adapted for the screen by Paul Haggis who collaborated with Eastwood on his Oscar-winning film Million Dollar Baby, the film focuses on the 1945 Battle of Iwo Jima on Japanese territory, part of the US campaign in the Pacific that killed more than 22,000 Japanese soldiers and 26,000 US troups. The battle produced one of WWII’s most enduring images: the photograph of six US soldiers raising the American flag on the top of Mount Suribachi, the island’s commanding high point.

Over 400 local Icelandic extras and 20 speaking parts have been hired for the film and according to the local news service Vikur Frettir, $32 million of the $80m budget film be will used in Iceland.
With its tax incentive introduced in 2001 which consists of a 12% reimbursement on film and TV production costs incurred on the island, Iceland is a very attractive location shoot for international productions and recent films that have used those incentives include the US blockbuster Batman Begins and the UK/Icelandic/Canadian/German co-production Guy X in 2004.
Laufey Gudjonsdottir, Head of the Centre islandais du cinéma told Cineuropa: "having Spielberg and Eastwood shooting in Iceland is fantastic. Our tax incentives are obviously very helpful in attracting foreign producers, but we also offer a good infrastructure, we are a transparent society with tax rebates very simple and fast to get, plus everybody speaks English and is very accessible".

http://www.cineuropa.org/newsdetail.aspx?lang=en&documentID=54157

ChrisDownUnder
Wednesday, August 31st, 2005, 04:23 PM
Damn! I was unaware that Spielberg is co-producing this film. If he has a significant influence on the end product, it will probably be similar to his other WWII efforts - idiotic nonsense like Saving Private Ryan and Band of Brothers. :bloed_2:

White Iceland
Friday, September 2nd, 2005, 07:30 PM
Damn! I was unaware that Spielberg is co-producing this film. If he has a significant influence on the end product, it will probably be similar to his other WWII efforts - idiotic nonsense like Saving Private Ryan and Band of Brothers. :bloed_2:

I read somewhere that when Clint became interested in the film rights for the book, he discovered that Shmielberg had already obtained them. So, in order to do the movie, Clint had to go into cahoots with the rabbi. Hopefully yarmulke boy won't have a schlocking influence.

This could be the big film of 2006. Hollywood knows that people like genuine films, and the script/story is a gritty sort of anti-hero epic, showing that the men behind the legendary flag raising photo had very ordinary and sometimes tragic backgrounds and fates. I like Eastwood and think that as far as American movie heroes go, he's about the best around.

I look forward to it.

White Iceland
Friday, October 20th, 2006, 08:52 AM
...opens today in US!

Berliners Remember
Saturday, October 21st, 2006, 08:00 AM
I read somewhere that when Clint became interested in the film rights for the book, he discovered that Shmielberg had already obtained them. So, in order to do the movie, Clint had to go into cahoots with the rabbi. Hopefully yarmulke boy won't have a schlocking influence.

This could be the big film of 2006. Hollywood knows that people like genuine films, and the script/story is a gritty sort of anti-hero epic, showing that the men behind the legendary flag raising photo had very ordinary and sometimes tragic backgrounds and fates. I like Eastwood and think that as far as American movie heroes go, he's about the best around.

I look forward to it.

I agree, i hope it is decent.