PDA

View Full Version : 15 Questions About Extraterrestial Life (Skadi Survey)

Death and the Sun
Monday, August 1st, 2005, 11:30 AM
There was a survey recently in the US, conducted by the SETI and National Geographic, about the attitudes Americans have about life on other planets.

What I am interested in doing is conducting the same survey here on tNP. :viking1:

So please answer the following questions:

(feel free to comment on the questions and/or your answers also)

1. Do you believe that there is life on other planets in the universe besides earth?

(yes/no/not sure)

If you answered "yes" to question one, then please answer the next 14 questions also:

2. When do you think we will confirm, without a doubt, that there is life on other planets: in the next few years, in the next few decades, in another century or more, or never?

3. If we were to discover, for certain, that there was life on other planets, which of the following best describes how you would most feel: afraid and nervous OR excited and hopeful?

4. Thinking of the entire universe, do you think there is life on millions of planets, thousands of planets, hundreds of planets, or only a few planets?

5. Do you think life would only develop on planets with similar characteristics to earth, or do you think a planet can be very different from earth and still develop life?

6. Do you think life can develop on a planet if there is no liquid water and no sunlight?

7. In your opinion, how likely is it that some of these life forms on other planets would be similar to single cell or few cell organisms like microbes or bacteria? Would you say it is very likely, somewhat likely or not likely at all?

8. In your opinion, how likely is it that some life forms on other planets would be similar to plants like trees and flowers?

9. In your opinion, how likely is it that some life forms on other planets would be similar to animals, like birds, lizards or mammals?

10. In your opinion, how likely is it that there are intelligent life forms on other planets that are similar to humans?

11. In your opinion, how likely is it that there are intelligent life forms on other planets that are more advanced than us?

12. In your opinion, how likely is it that there are life forms on other planets that have the technology to travel through space to visit different solar systems?

13. In your opinion, how likely is it that there are life forms on other planets that have the technology to communicate across deep space?

14. Suppose we heard communications coming from another planet. Do you think we should communicate back with them?

15. If beings from another planet sent a message to us through deep space, do you think we would be able to figure out what they were saying?

(To see the results of the original survey, go here. (http://www.nationalgeographic.com/channel/extraterrestrial/poll.html))

Death and the Sun
Monday, August 1st, 2005, 11:49 AM
These are my answers to the questions:

1. Yes.

2. This is probably the most difficult question, because you can't really offer any kind of educated guess. I'll go with "within the next century".

3. Excited and hopeful.

4. The entire universe? Definitely closer to millions than thousands.

5. Why not.

6. Based in our present knowledge, no. Then again we know very little. :rolleyes:

7. Very likely.

8, 9, 10. This depends on what the definition of "similar" is, of course. I don't think there are Star Trek type aliens out there: humanoids who speak standard American English, and only have a slightly different skin tone or some plastic appendages on their heads. :rofl:

If you consider a carbon-based life form with a metabolism based on oxygen to be "similar" to humans (and equivalent "similarity" for plants and animals), then sure, I believe it.

11. Extremely likely.

12. Not sure. I'll say that I believe it is possible.

13. Quite likely.

14. Yes, of course.

15. Obviously not immediately (unless they had somehow studied us before attempting to contact us and learned to communicate in the same way as we do). But eventually I believe we would be able to decipher the message.

Constantinus
Monday, August 1st, 2005, 11:51 AM
1. yes
2. second half of this century
3. depends on how far evolved the lifeforms would be, in all likelyness we'll discover some algae or bacteria
4. no idea, but if 1 in every 20 solar systems has a planet with life on it, and 1 in every 1000 of those planets has intelligent life, that would be a huge number
5. all it needs is water, some sort of atmosphere and carbon or silicium, so it can be quite different
6. no
7. very likely
8 and 9. not unlikely at all
10, 11, 12 and 13. possible
14. yes, whoever is communicating with you is aware of your presence so remaining silent would be useless
15. perhaps, after throwing a buttload of money and translators at it, but it would likely take years

Zyklop
Monday, August 1st, 2005, 12:34 PM
1. Yes
2. The next few decades
3. Excited
4. Thousands of planets
5. I don´t think life can evolve on planets which are very different from earth.
6. No, at least not life based on carbon as we know it.
7. Very likely.
8. Likely
9. Rather Unlikely
10. Unlikely
11. Unlikely
12. Very unlikely
13. Very unlikely
14. Yes, the message most probably travelled through space since millions of years. Would be very unpolite to answer not.
15. Yes

newenstad
Tuesday, August 2nd, 2005, 01:09 AM
1. Yes
2. In the next few decades..
3. Excited
4. Millions of planets = millions of lifeforms
5. Different planets = different lifeforms
6. Yes
7. Very likely
8. Likely
9. Likely
10. Likely
11. Hope that there is some intelligence out there :rolleyes:
12. We will see later or sooner
13. We will see later or sooner
14. Yes but let us hope the right person answer...(like: Hy, my name is DB..:rotfl: )
15. Hope so

newenstad
Tuesday, August 2nd, 2005, 01:09 AM
1. Yes
2. In the next few decades..
3. Excited
4. Millions of planets = millions of lifeforms
5. Different planets = different lifeforms
6. Yes
7. Very likely
8. Likely
9. Likely
10. Likely
11. Hope that there is some intelligence out there :rolleyes:
12. We will see later or sooner
13. We will see later or sooner
14. Yes but let us hope the right person answer...(like: Hy, my name is DB..:rotfl: )
15. Hope so

DreamWalker
Tuesday, August 2nd, 2005, 02:34 AM
15. If beings from another planet sent a message to us through deep space, do you think we would be able to figure out what they were saying?
I'm sure if we sent the message to Finland, someone there could figure it out;):)

DreamWalker
Tuesday, August 2nd, 2005, 02:34 AM
I'm sure if we sent the message to Finland, someone there could figure it out;):)

hauer
Tuesday, August 16th, 2005, 03:35 PM

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: