PDA

View Full Version : The Hangover Cure Thread

Death and the Sun
Friday, July 29th, 2005, 01:10 PM
So, how do you deal with the aftereffects of a night on the sauce?

Judging from the many agonised posts in the "What are you drinking" thread, tNP members are desperately in need of some good advice. :rotfl:

For myself, I find the best cure (as soon as I am able to get out of bed) to be a hot shower and a lot of water and juice. Once that is done, I usually am ready to drag myself out for some salty, greasy food (a steak, pizza or spaghetti carbonara are my hangover favourites) and a beer. This is by far the most effective but sadly also the most dangerous form of curing a hangover -- because it can easily lead to simply postponing the hangover instead of fixing it. ;)

Arcturus
Friday, July 29th, 2005, 01:26 PM
I usually (when I can remember to) start fighting my hangover before it even begins. Meaning that when I get home I fill a 1,5l lemonade bottle with water (mix a litte lemon or juice concentrate in there to help it go down) and drink as much as I can at any given lucid moment(don't know about you guys but I sleep badly when drunk, and keep waking up so there's ample opportunity).

A warm bath with a good book and something to eat is the next step. Note; eating happens IN the bathtub.

A beer or shot of vodka works well, but I usually don't go this way. The mere thought of alcohol when I'm hung over...:speechles

Death and the Sun
Friday, July 29th, 2005, 01:32 PM
Swallowing a couple aspirins before you go to bed seems to help also, with plenty of water.

Arcturus
Friday, July 29th, 2005, 01:39 PM
I've never tried taking any pills before I go to sleep.. Have to test that some time. All in all, sleep is the best cure for me. Let me sleep 12 hours and I'm pretty ok. Let me sleep 5-6 with the same amount of drink, and I'm dead the entire day.

Lundi
Friday, July 29th, 2005, 02:19 PM
Alka-Seltzer with loads of water before going to sleep, then another one once you wake up. Having 2 beers is always successful, but I normally end up drinking a few more than two and just getting drunk again :P

Constantinus
Friday, July 29th, 2005, 02:59 PM
Just wear it out, it's not as it will kill you.

White Iceland
Friday, July 29th, 2005, 03:33 PM
The aspirin and big glass of water before going to sleep is excellent. The morning (or afternoon) after the stomach needs some attention. Force some food down, even if it is just some bread and cheese and it tastes like mud. Sooner you can start digesting something the better off you are. Lots of water, a little but not too much coffee or a bottle of Gatorade or can of energy drink... and last and best, a good soak in the hot pot (those without this Icelandic luxury, eat your heart out).

HIM
Friday, July 29th, 2005, 03:43 PM
http://tinypic.com/9kp0jm.jpg

http://www.chaserplus.com/

Blood_Axis
Friday, July 29th, 2005, 03:52 PM
As I wrote before, the major cause of hangover and morning after headaches is dehydration of the cells from the alcohol.

For me, it works to drink a lot of water before going to bed, as well as to take Oral Rehydration Salts, who are sold over the counter and are very easy to find in every pharmacy.

You just dissolve one envelope in a glass of water and you compensate for all the minerals that your organism has lost due to the alcohol abuse ;)

It always works for me, and trust me, I am a heavy drinker :D

newenstad
Saturday, July 30th, 2005, 12:22 AM
The best hangover cure is a Bullshot*...but sometimes it is better when you donīt get pissed again...then you should eat something like Eldritch wrote (I prefer the pizza because you make a call...) and drink a lot of water...

@Constantinus: sometimes it is like getting killed...:guinness:

*2oz Vodka, 2oz Whisky, 2oz Gin, 8oz Beef bouillon, salt, pepper, 1 dash Tabasco sauce; 1 dash Worcestershire sauce...:bier:

anonymaus
Saturday, July 30th, 2005, 01:13 AM
As much as I can, and do, drink I have only had one hangover in my life. I probably broke a world record of alcohol ingestion for my weight class, and managed to partake of Whiskey, Tequila, Vodka, Beer as well as a few types of mixed drinks.

Had I bothered to drink even a single glass of water that night, or before I went out, I probably would have been fine the next morning. Instead of feeling fine, however, I felt like I was the slab of beef in rocky.

http://www.totalrocky.com/films/rocky/photos/meat.jpg

And AFTER that, it gets turned in to ground beef. You get the idea ;)

Regardless of my natural (and incomprehensible) tolerance for alcohol I would suggest drinking copious amounts of water to help prevent, and then cure, a hangover.

SouthernBoy
Saturday, July 30th, 2005, 02:07 AM
Advil, water, and Mexican food. I'll probably drink tonight. :D

Constantinus
Saturday, July 30th, 2005, 09:47 AM
Newenstad: I know it feels awful, but no 'cure' ever worked for me, and in retrospect, hangovers never are that dramatic anymore, so I stopped bothering to find stuff that won't cure them anyway.

Arcturus
Saturday, July 30th, 2005, 01:23 PM
Newenstad: I know it feels awful, but no 'cure' ever worked for me, and in retrospect, hangovers never are that dramatic anymore, so I stopped bothering to find stuff that won't cure them anyway.
I'd wager you drink "european-style" :D

Constantinus
Saturday, July 30th, 2005, 01:43 PM

I don't drink all that often, but when I do I have this stupid habit of mixing stuff.

Death and the Sun
Saturday, July 30th, 2005, 01:56 PM

European style of drinking: two bottles of wine over dinner. Every day. Also beer or wine with lunch.

Is that really better than getting s**tfaced once a week?!?

then you should eat something like Eldritch wrote (I prefer the pizza because you make a call...)

Hehe, one of my friends once ordered a pizza in a bad hangover, but threw up after he had eaten it. So he ordered another pizza, and the same guy delivered it. He threw that one up as well. So he ordered a third pizza, and yet again it was the same delivery guy, who was starting to wonder what the hell was going on. Luckily he managed to keep the third one down. :D

Arcturus
Saturday, July 30th, 2005, 01:56 PM
I don't drink all that often, but when I do I have this stupid habit of mixing stuff.

Then I have no explanation: you either don't drink "enough", or you're such an alcoholic that you don't get hangovers any more, or you merely have a good resistance to hangovers e.g good liver, retain more fluids than many others etc...

Oh well.

Constantinus
Saturday, July 30th, 2005, 01:59 PM
Oh, I get hangovers, and I'm far from an alcoholic.

newenstad
Sunday, July 31st, 2005, 03:58 PM
European style of drinking: two bottles of wine over dinner. Every day. Also beer or wine with lunch.

Is that really better than getting s**tfaced once a week?!?

It sounds like the style of drinking in my region but you have beer and wine over dinner or lunch and get s***faced once (or twice...) a week... :icon_bigg

Hehe, one of my friends once ordered a pizza in a bad hangover, but threw up after he had eaten it. So he ordered another pizza, and the same guy delivered it. He threw that one up as well. So he ordered a third pizza, and yet again it was the same delivery guy, who was starting to wonder what the hell was going on. Luckily he managed to keep the third one down. :D

It seems a litttle bit familiar to me...:scratch:

Taras Bulba
Saturday, December 30th, 2006, 04:01 PM
Just drink lots of water, its because of dehydration you get hangovers.

Berserkergang
Tuesday, September 29th, 2009, 07:38 PM
Most of the hangover affects are from dehydration. I always make sure to consume a few litres of water before I pass out. Don't worry you wont wake up with a bladder about to burst, your body needs the water so very little will go to waste.

Gardisten
Saturday, October 3rd, 2009, 11:37 PM
Why not just drink in moderation, or not at all?

A slavish reliance on any vice is morally corrupting and unGermanic.

Wulfram
Sunday, October 4th, 2009, 12:08 AM
I only drink beer now, but when I was boozing it I found that the best cure for a hangover is to leave one beer in the refrigerator for when you wake up the next morning.
Make sure it is more potent than some near-beer like Budweiser.
Also, to replenish the salts that drinking depletes I would eat a package of Twang Lemon-Lime with the beer.

Beornulf
Sunday, October 4th, 2009, 01:58 AM
Drink water in between drinks, drink responsibly, eat...